As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things that make you sleepy seem to have the opposite effect on me.

LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so like the title says, things like sleeping pills and Nyquil seem to do the opposite of what most everyone else experiences. This wouldn't normally bother me (the only time Ive taken sleeping pills was on a flight to China (and since they didn't work that sucked ass) but Ive been sick these past few days so I bought some Nyquil. I wait till I'm about to go to bed, take a dose and go to sleep. Just a couple hours later though I'm wide awake. This happened the past two nights, and it wasn't coughing or anything waking me up, the medicine end seems to work fine. I don't remember this always being the case so I'm not sure if this is something that can develop or if it's just something mental.

Luckily this doesn't effect me too much since I can usually fall asleep pretty easy and I really don't get sick that often. The situation has just got me curious, I've heard people say they have similar problems but I've never really followed up on them. My Google powers have failed me and I can't seem to find anything online, but I don't really know what I'm looking for either.

So really, I've just got a slightly annoying medical... situation I guess? That I'm curious about, can anyone tell me more?

On a side note, will Dayquil serve me better? Since I don't know what I'm reacting to I'm not sure if Id have the same problem.

Lardalish on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What kind of sleeping pills?

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, I know Ive tried Ambien and Unisom, but I kind of doubt that they have the same chemicals as Nyquil which gives me the same problem. But Im not exactly an expert so I dunno.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Unisom and what is in nyquil are antihistamines. Though they affect me very differently. You can safely try taking 2 over the counter unisoms, they will be 25 mg per pill. 50 mg is the same dose as a prescription level (don't even ask why they bother prescribing something that you can just take 2 over the counters for... some reason my mom gets 800 mg ibuprofens for her back but 200 mg is sold in the store). See if that does it.

You can try melatonin. Perhaps a combination of it and Unisom (this is what I take). Melatonin is not a sleeping pill, it will tell your body that it is dark and sleepy time. It has an extremely short half life so you'd want to get into bed about 15 mins after taking it.

Talk to your doctor if not even Ambien knocks you out. That one has weird effects on different people. Some people don't fall asleep, they just blackout and do lots of things like they're awake but don't remember. They can prescribe you a different sleeping aid if you need it.

The things I have recommended are safe, btw, though I encourage you to talk to your doctor. I did, and that is why I am saying the combination of unisom and melatonin is not dangerous.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    nyquil, sleeping aids on the shelf, and other "night-time" sick cures generally use antihistamines to induce the sleepy feeling.

in nyquils case that would be Doxylamine, Dayquil is the same formula just without the antihistamine, so if it's not working for you than it is probably better to just take that.

most people get sleepy from first generation antihistamines, but like all drugs not everyone gets the same reaction. your just unlucky, or lucky depending on what use you want the drug for.

if Doxylamine isnt working for you, you could also try Diphenhyrdramine (Benadryl)

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My mom has a similar reaction, and on the opposite about half of the things labeled as being non-drowsy practically knock her out. What works really well for her is either a) neocitran b) alcohol or c) valerian, which you can find in most herbal 'sleeping' pills (personally I prefer these because they make you a little extra drowsy for an hour or two, but if you can only wrangle out 4 hours of sleep you're still ok)

ihmmy on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    NyQuil is pretty simple stuff: most varieties contain acetaminophen (standard painkiller/fever reducer), dextromethorphan (inhibits coughing, also used recreationally by the kind of people who think drinking cough syrup is awesome), and doxylamine (an antihistamine that also happens to be a pretty potent sedative).

It's entirely possible that you're having a reaction to one of those components. Interactions between drugs and the body can vary wildly depending on your health, your own chemical levels, the existence of any underlying conditions, the use of other drugs - the classic example is Ritalin, which is used on ADHD kids to calm them down, and on narcoleptic grownups to wake them up. So, being stimulated by something most people use as a sedative isn't at all unheard of.

DayQuil contains acetaminophen, DM, and phenylephrine (a different, non-sedating anti-histamine), so it might be worth giving that a try. My real advice, though, would be to lay off the all-in-one magic-pill cold cures, and just take medicine for your specific issues when you need it. When I get generic flu-like illnesses, I never cough, and I very seldom have aches or fever; all I do is sneeze like mad for a day or two. So, rather than stuff painkillers and cough syrup into my system, I just take a sinus/nasal decongestant (preferably pseudoephedrine, because it works) to deal with the symptoms I actually have.

And if you normally have no problems sleeping, I'd recommend against mucking around with sleeping pills at all. They can be effective - even necessary - for some people, but they can also have some significant side effects, including dependency.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ihmmy wrote: »
    My mom has a similar reaction, and on the opposite about half of the things labeled as being non-drowsy practically knock her out. What works really well for her is either a) neocitran b) alcohol or c) valerian, which you can find in most herbal 'sleeping' pills (personally I prefer these because they make you a little extra drowsy for an hour or two, but if you can only wrangle out 4 hours of sleep you're still ok)

neocitran contains Chlorphenamine another one of those oh so nice first generation h1 receptor antihistamines. thats what would be making your mom drowsy.

but it is another good suggestion of something to try, you may not get the sleepy side-effect from all of antihistamines, but if you try a few one might just work.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This used to be true for me. I would take nyquil for long gigs at the theatre and stay up, whereas coffee knocked me out cold.

then, i hit about 25ish, and the effects kinda went back to their 'expected' ways. but i've always had strange body chemistry like that.

don't up the dose too much, but try some of the dayquil. it could just be that your body chemistry is weird like mine and it'll work tiself out. only thing that used to knock me out back then was the percocets i got for when i pulled out my back. but i don't recommend that method of treatment.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Ok so like the title says, things like sleeping pills and Nyquil seem to do the opposite of what most everyone else experiences. This wouldn't normally bother me (the only time Ive taken sleeping pills was on a flight to China (and since they didn't work that sucked ass) but Ive been sick these past few days so I bought some Nyquil. I wait till I'm about to go to bed, take a dose and go to sleep. Just a couple hours later though I'm wide awake. This happened the past two nights, and it wasn't coughing or anything waking me up, the medicine end seems to work fine. I don't remember this always being the case so I'm not sure if this is something that can develop or if it's just something mental.

Luckily this doesn't effect me too much since I can usually fall asleep pretty easy and I really don't get sick that often. The situation has just got me curious, I've heard people say they have similar problems but I've never really followed up on them. My Google powers have failed me and I can't seem to find anything online, but I don't really know what I'm looking for either.

So really, I've just got a slightly annoying medical... situation I guess? That I'm curious about, can anyone tell me more?

On a side note, will Dayquil serve me better? Since I don't know what I'm reacting to I'm not sure if Id have the same problem.

I would be careful with Dayquil. It can make some people jittery and restless.

useless4 on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Both Nyquil and Tylenol3 keep me awake and well.. twitchy, I guess you could say. My aunt has the same thing. I thought Tylenol3 was a bad joke until I gave a GF half of one and it knocked her on her ass. See also percoset.

Most pain killers don't do much for me. And morphine/codiene straight up makes my skin crawl. I usually just avoid them whenever possible.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    Gripper2Gripper2 Registered User new member
    I have that same condition. Nyquil can perk me up and coffee can make me sleepy. This only lasts for a little while then the expected effect sets in at some point. The most notable opposite reaction for me is when I drink alcohol. When I drink beer, I become very active and amped up. I rarely become sleepy due to drinking and I never pass out, but when it's time to stop drinking, I know it then go off o bed. I sleep like crap however.
    I once asked a doctor about this and he called it a Paradoxical Disorder that affects about 40% of the population in some way or another. I have asked other people, including doctors several times since then and no one I have asked has ever heard of it. I know it exists though.
    By the way, pain medications seem to do little for me.

This discussion has been closed.