As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Memorial Day ritual: war movies!

VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I started this ritual a few years ago when I was alone in the dorms for Memorial Day weekend and got extremely bored. Memorial Day is a holiday which commemorates U.S. soldiers who have fallen during their military service. So I ask you, what better day to spend watching your favorite war movies all day?

The last few years I did this, I watched whatever was on TV. I'm more interested in watching what you guys think are the best war movies so I can streamline my watching of said movies before the day is over. I'm partial to World War II movies because of my grandparents' amazing stories about it (and also obviously from all the freakin' WW2 games I've played).

So far I'm interested in watching some I have seen and some I've not seen. I'm definitely going to watch some classics like The Longest Day, "Tora Tora Tora", and A Bridge Too Far.

Any other recommendations for this spectacular holiday?

CoH_infantry.jpg
Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
VeritasVR on

• BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hamburger Hill, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line, The Dirty Dozen, We Were Soldiers, and Enemy at the Gates are all missing from an otherwise good list.

I generally prefer the Vietnam era because I have family that actually served during it, it just strikes a certain chord.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bridge Over the River Kwai is pretty awesome. It's about a bunch of British POWs forced to build a bridge on the Pacific front during WW2.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kelly's Heroes if you want something different.

TwistedJester on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    Enemy at the Gates

Oh yes. I've been told to see that and somehow forgot all about it. Any other movies about the Eastern front?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    Enemy at the Gates

Oh yes. I've been told to see that and somehow forgot all about it. Any other movies about the Eastern front?

How can Patton not be on this list? That's not eastern front but he's in Africa and pushes up into Italy. Probably the most classic intro to any movie too.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Patton for certain. Oh! And Stalag 17 and The Great Escape, also awesome POW movies.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd throw in some modern ones like Black Hawk Down.
    SPR ftw though.

lunchbox12682 on
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Red One, Deer Hunter, Guns of Navarone, Force Ten from Navarone, Three Kings, Windtalkers.

There are a ton of others, and some that work with the war theme, but also encompass other themes. (And other sides of conflict). Take, for example, Das Boot (about German Submariners), or Schindler's List (More about the holocaust).

Edit: Oh, and throw a comedy or two in there to lighten the mood - like Stripes

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Maybe not your traditional war film but fascinating and disturbing at the same time is the German film, Der Untergang (Downfall as it was called in the U.S).

It chronicles Hitler's last few days in his bunker below Munich and the lives of the other people around him. As historically accurate as something like this can be, it's probably the best idea we'll ever get as to what was going through the minds of those involved at the time. The acting is superb, especially the actor who plays Hitler...chilling best describes his performance.

If you're one of those "I don't like to read when I'm watching a movie" types though then avoid this, it's in German with English subtitles.

A very powerful film, macabre stuff but great if you'd like to see the other sides perspective. Letters From Iwo Jima I've heard is also excellent in this regard, though I haven't seen it myself.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you looking for something specific in the war movies, or just the setting?

Good Morning Vietnam is a great movie set in a war. It's my favourite work by Robin Williams. He was great in that movie. I think I'll have to watch it again.

BlazeFire on
  • thatnerdyguythatnerdyguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Band of Brothers. It's amazing, and it'll eat up half the day if you watch it all! 10 hours of the most powerful WWII story I've ever seen.

thatnerdyguy on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Band of Brothers. It's amazing, and it'll eat up half the day if you watch it all! 10 hours of the most powerful WWII story I've ever seen.

I've watched the entire series many times. Probably the best mini-series ever.
    BlazeFire wrote:
    Are you looking for something specific in the war movies, or just the setting?

Not too concerned with either, just if it's, well... good. And I'm probably going to just check the movies everyone recommended and see what's on. There's usually like 4 or 5 channels showing them all day, so this should help me a lot.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Both Flags of my Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima are supposed to be great.

Thanatos on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    embrik wrote: »
    The Big Red One

This is a great and underappreciated movie.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • hbm292hbm292 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    All good flicks! A personal favorite is Stalag 17--a story about a POW camp. Also, The Great Escape is another good prison flick.

There is just something about POW movies that makes me want to turn on Call of Duty an kill as many Nazis as possible...

hbm292 on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Enemy Below and Midway haven't been mentioned. There are also a couple of noteworthy WWII comedies such as Operation Petticoat and Father Goose.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • MosanaMosana Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Stalingrad is an excellent, but sadly underrated German war film. For films which haven't been said yet but are good: Das Boot, Bridge at Remagen and The Eagle has Landed. Also look for Hannibal Brooks, with everyone's favourite drunk Oliver Reed. In a similar vein is the Vietnam-era Operation Dumbo Drop, if you're in to elephant-themed war movies.

Mosana on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Great Escape is a requirement.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lawrence of Arabia is my favorite movie, war or otherwise. Arab revolt in WW1.

+1 for Bridge on the River Kwai, too. Another David Lean movie.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Das Boot!

nexuscrawler on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Band of Brothers is manditory. I just watched the last episode and I don't think I've ever seen something as moving as the beaten German General speaking to his troops.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART