As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM | gaben@valvesoftware.com/mooleyftw

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
gentlesteam.png

pasteambanner.jpg

steamregulator.jpg

BIG OLD LIST OF GAMES ON SALE

steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

http://www.ddgamer.com/signatures.php. Select Avatar from the drop down list.

You need to delete your Avatar under:
Edit Avatar

Then add that URL in the Avatar URL field in:
Edit Your Details

Also, the border changes colour based on if you're online, offline or in-game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
This is apparently a sortable list of all the cool stuff on Steam that you can narrow down via categories (like "on sale") but it may have ceased to work.

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

The Steam Circle of Life
This image is from the SomethingAwful forums Steam thread. Hilariously enough it basically describes our Steam thread too:
steamsathread2.png

Steam iPhone App
You have an iPhone? That money could easily have been spent on Steam games. If you want to make the best of your shiny gadget, however, check out this Steam iPhone app. For less than the price of a grande mocha frappacino or whatever, you can buy an unofficial program (which appears to have been created by a PA guy who has not stepped forward if the Armadeaddon screengrab means anything) which does all sorts of Steam shit.

To top it all off, a comic by our own Iolo. It's fun-tastic!

peekandpoke.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mmmm new thread smell.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I just bought [Insert Game Title Here], can I register it on Steam?

Edit: Logo is pretty swell, though.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like the logo at the top.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, is there any word on the next mega sale? Summer right?

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The old thread lied to me. I demand a thread refund.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    but there is a sale

you can get the sims 3 for the low low price of $truck

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I started playing the first Kane & Lynch yesterday. It's not the Steam version, but oddly enough it doesn't seem to work correctly with the Steam overlay.

Anyway, so far it doesn't seem like that bad of a game. They definitely took all the squad mechanics from Freedom Fighters, which I like.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You know that the complete pack is only $23 more than the original version right now for me? Kinda freaky.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You lied to me old steam thread.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Talkc wrote: »
    You lied to me old steam thread.

Beat you to it.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This thread's off to a classy start. :)

Turkey on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... do I throw $80 at Steam and get the Sims3 pack...

If steam didnt exist, I wouldnt have this problem. Damn you steam!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kris_xK wrote: »

If you enjoy [strike]torturing[/strike]caring for virtual people and making them [strike]die[/strike]smile, then yes.

Talkc on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Talkc wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »

If you enjoy [strike]torturing[/strike]caring for virtual people and making them [strike]die[/strike]smile, then yes.

My wife enjoys all of the above. Sometimes it's creepy listening to her giggle about how she tortured some family to death.

She also likes to put the two of us into the game and mess around, then she gets mad at me when my Sim character does something like sleep with the maid or whatever. O_o

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What the hell dude? She's the help!

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,
    Why the fuck would you buy her the game D:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Dear Steam Thread,
    Why the fuck would you buy a game on Steam for $80 D:

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

edit: I'm sorry Centipeed, I won't buy anything else until I get your approval first.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

edit: I'm sorry Centipeed, I won't buy anything else until I get your approval first.

Guys, if Darmak seems a little peevish right now, cut him some slack because he obviously has a lot on his mind what with the imminent disintegration of his marriage to a crazy woman. ;-)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know what it is, but every sims game I buy I play for like 5 hours completely enthralled by it, and then I quit playing and never touch it again until the next sequel comes out.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

Guys, if Darmak seems a little peevish right now, cut him some slack because he obviously has a lot on his mind what with the imminent disintegration of his marriage to a crazy woman. ;-)

:rotate:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

Hence my question as to why he bought it for her. Sure, she likes it but if it freaks you out...

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

Hence my question as to why he bought it for her. Sure, she likes it but if it freaks you out...

I was just kidding about that. She doesn't actually get mad and I think it's cute.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

I'm just flabbergasted because it's an $80 ($90?) pack and people are umming and arring as if it were a $7.50 daily deal.

I just can't understand spending that much on a game unless you're either guaranteed to spend a long time with it and enjoy yourself, or you've been looking forward to it for months/years.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

I was just kidding about that. She doesn't actually get mad and I think it's cute.

I know I was kidding also. It's cool you found someone with a similar interest. Didn't she tell you off for spending so much during the christmas sale? Our am I thinking of another paer?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

I'm just flabbergasted because it's an $80 ($90?) pack and people are umming and arring as if it were a $7.50 daily deal.

I just can't understand spending that much on a game unless you're either guaranteed to spend a long time with it and enjoy yourself, or you've been looking forward to it for months/years.

It's the sims! Hell yeah it'll give that long to play with it xD

It even has me going ummm and I really can not afford that xD

Pheace on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

I know I was kidding also. It's cool you found someone with a similar interest. Didn't she tell you off for spending so much during the christmas sale? Our am I thinking of another paer?

You must be thinking of someone else. I didn't spend hardly anything during the Christmas sale. :P

My wife will spend countless hours playing it, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Then she'll remember that people make mods for the game and go on a spree of downloading tons of new furniture, clothes, etc., and spend countless more hours playing it. $80 is cheap for me if it can bring her that many hours of entertainment.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It just seems like so much to do all in one bundle. Between raising a family, you can travel/explore, do a now massive number of professions, be a dick and so on.

Last time I played I was an aspiring novelist who worked part-time at the grocery store to make ends meet 'till my book sale income started going up. From there I built up the house and sold it for a nice sum. Had to stop there since my PC broke but it was nice all the same. And this was before the expansions, now there seems much more to do.

Although I will say; the whole '9-5, work your Sim to death to climb the ladder' is one sure-fire way to bore yourself off it for life. Play it to lead a life you'd never have, good or bad.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Trino looks interesting, considering its price. Wish there was a demo.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    i have two killing floor guest passes! Quick, first two people to pm me get one each. I know I left it late but I've been ill.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dear darmak,

Because she enjoys it?

Well, it's for his wife. I imagine she is a special person in his life and worth the odd gift... I know I would be very happy if my wife enjoyed gaming even a fraction as much as I do.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What I'm reading is, $80 is a small price to pay to make your wife/girlfriend disappear for months so you can play the games YOU want to play.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Magica, released last week and renowned for its fun and bugs can be bought on direct2dirive. You can buy in on D2D with the 20% off code 'wetkitty' and then register it and the 'DLC' on Steam just fine.

In case $10 was too much, it's now available for both Steam and D2D for $8!

Although I fully expect/hope a 4-pack to be offered soon on Steam....

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    holy shit that is good. I was on the fence with it but a mere £6.7something is fine by me.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Meh... I think I'll wait for the summer sale... it just seems like backlog filler for now...

Icemopper on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    What I'm reading is, $80 is a small price to pay to make your wife/girlfriend disappear for months so you can play the games YOU want to play.

Pfft, I want to play The Sims. It's genuinely fun, although I already own TS3 and a couple of the expansions so I won't be buying the Steam pack.

Fats on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What can it mean when a game simply closes without provocation? This had been happening to me infrequently while playing DAO and I had chalked it up to my multitude of mods, but in the last week or two it's been happening at random (as far as I can tell) regardless of what game I'm playing, often in menus prior to even entering gameplay.

Is this the sort of thing that could be symptomatic of just about any problem, or might it be easier to nail? I'm used to crashes giving me some kind of clue about what might be the cause, but this is a total mystery.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Drag00n2019Drag00n2019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just hoping LucasArts would make available Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and possibly Willow from NES/Arcade as a hybrid.
    Pass on all the STAR WARS.

Drag00n2019 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just hoping LucasArts would make available Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and possibly Willow from NES/Arcade as a hybrid.
    Pass on all the STAR WARS.

This would make me so very happy

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    What can it mean when a game simply closes without provocation? This had been happening to me infrequently while playing DAO and I had chalked it up to my multitude of mods, but in the last week or two it's been happening at random (as far as I can tell) regardless of what game I'm playing, often in menus prior to even entering gameplay.

Is this the sort of thing that could be symptomatic of just about any problem, or might it be easier to nail? I'm used to crashes giving me some kind of clue about what might be the cause, but this is a total mystery.

If you're saying that regardless of what game you play you often get crashes to the desktop, and you haven't changed drivers, it could be these things:

Failing RAM, Overheating, Graphics Card failure, Failing PSU.

I'm facing the same problem (With liberal BSODs thrown in) - only when playing games, and after having replaced my PSU and tried all sorts of graphics drivers, I believe it's the RAM.

Centipeed on