As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Well borderlands for the most part and I'm a major fan, didn't have the kind of customization in murdering you get in this. There wasn't a gun that fired bolo grenades onto an enemy allowing you to then kick them into their friends before peforming a ground pound that sent them all flying to die in an explosion of death.
    I actually played Borderlands for a while today, and found myself mashing B trying to kick charging psychos.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    I tried the PS3 demo last night, and while the environment was fantastic, the gameplay IMO was fun but extremely repetitive.

The gameplay got repetitive in the gameplay trailers alone, this isn't surprising.

I had a friend tell me that it was really repetitive. When I watched him play, he would leash an enemy, kick him, then shoot him. Every enemy, every time. If you play like this, yes, the game is repetitive. You have so many more options though. The only thing I repeat in a run is flail gun + kick (a few times), screamer + thumper (so many points), and the x-ray skillshot. Almost every kill past that is unique in some way.

Ratsult2 on
  • Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Going back a page here, but I definitely didn't want to start a console/PC argument. I was just curious about the extent to which a controller is a limiting factor in performance on two games that more require rapid, precise movement and shooting, than most console FPS's that have come before. This curiosity being based on the dreadful performance of people in several different gameplay videos.

I guess the answer is 'it's not a limiting factor as long as you're not shit'. Although I can't see how a mouse wouldn't make things easier, which is what I first said.

TL;DR Bulletstorm is going to be fun for all! Hurrah!

Jimmy Marku on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    I tried the PS3 demo last night, and while the environment was fantastic, the gameplay IMO was fun but extremely repetitive.

I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible, but everytime someone says repetitive in regards to a videogame, my gut reaction is "duh"

I mean, name one game that isn't repetitive. Every single one is. I think it comes down to is it fun repetitive or boring repetitive.

Scores of games manage to have you repeat the same action over and over, yet don't seem repetitive, or there are other mechanics, story, etc. in play. Even Tetris managed it, because every game is different.

It's a pretty simple concept and is integral to video game design.

After a few minutes of Bulletstorm I had managed every combo I could think of.. and then it was a pretty generic shooter.

I'll give it a second change, of course, because I'm sure- or rather, I hope- there is a lot more than is available in the demo.

adytum on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Going back a page here, but I definitely didn't want to start a console/PC argument. I was just curious about the extent to which a controller is a limiting factor in performance on two games that more require rapid, precise movement and shooting, than most console FPS's that have come before. This curiosity being based on the dreadful performance of people in several different gameplay videos.

I guess the answer is 'it's not a limiting factor as long as you're not shit'. Although I can't see how a mouse wouldn't make things easier, which is what I first said.

TL;DR Bulletstorm is going to be fun for all! Hurrah!

Really, the modern joysticks are precise enough for it not to be a problem if you're used to the sticks. The hardest part is finding a good sensitivity to set for each game, but once you do, you shouldn't be much less accurate with a joystick compared to your average desktop mouse.

Of course, a gaming mouse is far more precise than either one, but eh, you don't need it unless you're at the super high level competitions, and even then I feel it's more of a placebo effect

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

The gameplay got repetitive in the gameplay trailers alone, this isn't surprising.

I had a friend tell me that it was really repetitive. When I watched him play, he would leash an enemy, kick him, then shoot him. Every enemy, every time. If you play like this, yes, the game is repetitive. You have so many more options though. The only thing I repeat in a run is flail gun + kick (a few times), screamer + thumper (so many points), and the x-ray skillshot. Almost every kill past that is unique in some way.

I shoot people in the balls->face quite a bit. Let it not be said that I am not a merciful god.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It occurs to me that the Halo "Believe" trailer was already parodied by [vidURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwYwxQkXm8&feature=channel"]Serious Sam HD[/vidURL], long before Bulletstorm did it.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that Croteam and PCF are getting ready to implode the universe with awesome by combining their abilities to create old school shooters, and we're going to receive a SS/Bulletstorm/Painkiller crossover sometime around 2012, thus ending the world.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Feelin' pretty good about my 16915 right now

T4CT on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    Feelin' pretty good about my 16915 right now

*doesn't feel so awesome about his new 12775 anymore*

I'm still trying to figure out all of the skillshots. Collecting them all in the full game is going to be the best version of Pokemon EVER.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited January 2011
    pro tip

Homie Missle is a skill shot for flailing a guy and kicking/leashing him into another guy, then exploding the flail; it's 500 points

Smart Mine is a skill shot for flailing a guy and then kicking/leashing an unflailed enemy into the flailed guy, and then exploding the flail; it's another 500 points

you essentially do the same thing for 500 points each time

also don't hit the elevator at the elevator section right away; if you kill them other ways first, more enemies will spawn before you have to trigger the elevator

the highest i've had coming out of the elevator section before the ammo recharge was 10,000 points but I'm sure more is possible

T4CT on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    pro tip

Homie Missle is a skill shot for flailing a guy and kicking/leashing him into another guy, then exploding the flail; it's 500 points

Smart Mine is a skill shot for flailing a guy and then kicking/leashing an unflailed enemy into the flailed guy, and then exploding the flail; it's another 500 points

also don't hit the elevator at the elevator section right away; if you kill them other ways first, more enemies will spawn before you have to trigger the elevator

the highest i've had coming out of the elevator section before the ammo recharge was 10,000 points but I'm sure more is possible

I've done all those, even did the Homie Missile/Smart Mine combo with an intoxication bonus. I need to find more Skillshots. MORE.

BACK INTO THE BULLETSTORM GRINDER I GO

PS: Is it just me or do you lose points when you drop through the elevator door right before the drop pod?

PPS: Something I discovered: the green guys don't have to be living to start up Toxic Love. Just stand over a green guy corpse before you rush out into the melee and blow off his head.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And here I was being proud of clearing 5k

Turkey on
    edited January 2011
    pro tip

I've done all those, even did the Homie Missile/Smart Mine combo with an intoxication bonus. I need to find more Skillshots. MORE.

PS: Is it just me or do you lose points when you drop through the elevator door right before the drop pod?

PPS: Something I discovered: the green guys don't have to be living to start up Toxic Love. Just stand over a green guy corpse before you rush out into the melee and blow off his head.

There's a score glitch in the way the elevator calculates how many people are actually dying so sometimes you'll get a score that isn't true, and when you drop down the game auto-adjusts to what the score should be.

Also if you shoot a toxic guy in the head near other enemies they become toxic and when you kill them you get antidote.

Off the top of my head, a few skillshots you want to make sure you're getting in runthroughs are:

Mercy
    Doorbell
    Voodoo Doll
    Homie Missle
    Firefighter
    Tenderizer
    Firework
    First In, Last Out
    Head Shot
    Intoxication
    Toxic Love
    That one where you shoot the guy in the ass
    Homie Missle
    Smart Mine
    Gang Bang
    Bullet Kick
    Bullet Slide
    Flyswatter
    Trapshooting
    X-Ray
    French Revolution
    Fast Draw

Gunslinger is like another 500 points if you think you can get a whole bunch of Fast Draws in a row

T4CT on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There is also one where you flail gun the ground and blow it up when an enemy is near. If I remember correct, it's not a 500 point one, but it's still worth 150, more than repeating a headshot or whatever.

You missed... meatgrinder? Use the flail gun on the turret enemy and it will wrap around the turret, chopping the enemy in half. You *can* get this by trapping an enemy on a wall/corner, but it's pretty hard.

There is gag reflex (throat shot) which isn't worth much, but you can get gag order by flail gunning an enemy around the head/neck. Try this when you are getting homie missile.

19,000+ reporting in.

Ratsult2 on
    edited January 2011
    totally was gonna write meat grinder down and then forgot what it was called

T4CT on
  • PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just checked out the demo. So Epic basically reimagined The Club. This? Oh, yes. This is something I think I can live with.

Psycohed on
    brig_banner.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    According to EA's product page Bullestorm will require a permanent internet connection on the PC. But that requirement it's only specified in the EULAs of the digital versions of the game (both standar and limited) and doesn't appear for the packed versions (at least yet).

http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas

HiT BiT on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    According to EA's product page Bullestorm will require a permanent internet connection on the PC. But that requirement it's only specified in the EULAs of the digital versions of the game (both standar and limited) and doesn't appear for the packed versions (at least yet).

"Hey, it's on Steam, dicktits, now shut up."

Yeah, this pretty much ended any lingering consideration I was giving to getting this game.

Gaslight on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

What's that EA? You don't want my money? Shame, that.

Edit: Cripes, it also requires a GFWL account/login for online play, and says something about 'Installation of the Games for Windows Live Software".

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Edit: Cripes, it also requires a GFWL account/login for online play, and says something about 'Installation of the Games for Windows Live Software".

You know, that's likely the one from the EA store?
    The game is known to have GFWL for multiplayer on PC, but the Steam version is likely to not have any more DRM than other Steam titles, and the boxed version is likely to have standard EA DRM.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ewwww. :v:

There goes that.

Darlan on
    edited January 2011
    Ha ha, GFWL, they were really worried I might screw up and get this game weren't they?

Gaslight on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »

You know, that's likely the one from the EA store?
    The game is known to have GFWL for multiplayer on PC, but the Steam version is likely to not have any more DRM than other Steam titles, and the boxed version is likely to have standard EA DRM.

I want to believe you. I really do. I've heard it so many times before when looking at pre-release games on Steam. "That DRM is only for the boxed version! Steam is it's own DRM, and they won't put anything else on there!". BioShock, BioShock 2, Borderlands, and Batman:AA were all released on Steam with SecuROM beyond the Steam protection. And then for Batman they layered GFWL (with it's activation limits) on top of that. I guess I'll just have to wait until after release to see, but I've been burned before.

Another Edit: Though it looks like maybe the 'constant internet connection' part of that language on the EA site might just be talking about online play and activation. At least, according to Adrian Chmielarz's twitter.
    Fucking Internets... No, Bulletstorm PC does not require any constant connection, only for install and for online play (duh!).

We're investigating wtf happened. Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points.

Still not happy about GWFL, but that's really just a personal thing on my part and not as egregious an affront as a required constant internet connection.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited January 2011
    twitter to the rescue:
    Adrian Chmielarz
    adrianchm Adrian Chmielarz
    Fucking Internets... No, Bulletstorm PC does not require any constant connection, only for install and for online play (duh!).

Cliff Bleszinski
    therealcliffyb Cliff Bleszinski
    FYI setting DRM policies is *not* one of my job duties. I do read all of your comments here on the subject, however.
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    »
    adrianchm Adrian Chmielarz
    We're investigating wtf happened. Persons responsible will be set on fire and shot in the balls for extra points.
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Not that I think we overreacted, "Persistent online connection" tends to mean exactly that.

Edit: They're a bit douchey about this though. I can understand being upset about piracy, but when your product's information page gives people incorrect information, the proper response is "our bad" not "fucking internets. "

Darlan on
    edited January 2011
    Twitter is Cliffy's sole job duty.

Gaslight on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought it was posing with a retarded plastic rifle-slash-chainsaw contraption and thinking, "Man, I look like such a badass."

Zxerol on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    People Can Fly also had outrage over Painkiller protection too (which was added by the publisher). If you had CloneCD AT ALL on your computer, when you tried to run Painkiller, you would get some error and the game wouldn't launch. I remember DreamCatcher forums at the time being flooded with pissed off people who couldn't play the game because of the retarded blacklisting. They claimed it was all the publisher though, which it was (since it was fixed in the next patch)

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to believe you. I really do. I've heard it so many times before when looking at pre-release games on Steam. "That DRM is only for the boxed version! Steam is it's own DRM, and they won't put anything else on there!". BioShock, BioShock 2, Borderlands, and Batman:AA were all released on Steam with SecuROM beyond the Steam protection. And then for Batman they layered GFWL (with it's activation limits) on top of that. I guess I'll just have to wait until after release to see, but I've been burned before.

Another Edit: Though it looks like maybe the 'constant internet connection' part of that language on the EA site might just be talking about online play and activation. At least, according to Adrian Chmielarz's twitter.

I'd like to point out that Borderlands on Steam does not come with SecuROM. They did unnecessarily add it to the Steam version of the first two pieces of DLC, but it's not in the base game.

To the best of my knowledge, no EA games on Steam contain additional DRM. Red Alert 3 and some others did originally, but they released an update to remove that.

I really don't see why what online network a game uses is such a big deal. While I prefer Steam I'm not going to not buy a game just because it uses GFW Live.

Peewi on
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

I'd like to point out that Borderlands on Steam does not come with SecuROM. They did unnecessarily add it to the Steam version of the first two pieces of DLC, but it's not in the base game.

To the best of my knowledge, no EA games on Steam contain additional DRM. Red Alert 3 and some others did originally, but they released an update to remove that.

I really don't see why what online network a game uses is such a big deal. While I prefer Steam I'm not going to not buy a game just because it uses GFW Live.
    I used to be like you when it came to GFWL, but I've actually had it delete my saves, and have been unable to play online because its patching system was broken. It's a terrible, terrible program.

Darlan on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    F-yeah, 16,000. Moving on up. I wish I was recording cause I had no idea what I did. I got a Fireball skill near the end.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    pro tip

There's a score glitch in the way the elevator calculates how many people are actually dying so sometimes you'll get a score that isn't true, and when you drop down the game auto-adjusts to what the score should be.

Also if you shoot a toxic guy in the head near other enemies they become toxic and when you kill them you get antidote.

Off the top of my head, a few skillshots you want to make sure you're getting in runthroughs are:

Mercy
    Doorbell
    Voodoo Doll
    Homie Missle
    Firefighter
    Tenderizer
    Firework
    First In, Last Out
    Head Shot
    Intoxication
    Toxic Love
    That one where you shoot the guy in the ass
    Homie Missle
    Smart Mine
    Gang Bang
    Bullet Kick
    Bullet Slide
    Flyswatter
    Trapshooting
    X-Ray
    French Revolution
    Fast Draw

Gunslinger is like another 500 points if you think you can get a whole bunch of Fast Draws in a row

you missed Sadist, where you wrap someone with the flail but then kill them in another manner. i like to get this with another one you missed, Vertigo, which is where you kick someone down a hole to their doom

Local H Jay on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

I used to be like you when it came to GFWL, but I've actually had it delete my saves, and have been unable to play online because its patching system was broken. It's a terrible, terrible program.

I'm waiting for it to happen on one of the GFWL games I have. Maybe I'm just lucky, but the service has been fine for me.

Granted, I like having access to my Live friends while on the PC.

Turkey on
    edited January 2011
    i have literally never had a problem with GFWL ever

T4CT on
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hah, Bulletstorm is getting to me. Saw a video from MW2 and saw +50s everywhere and was thinking how shitty those points were.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The grappling is like a 3-d version of Wild 9. Wild 9 Fans represent!

Wild 9

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find the more I play Bulletstorm, the more I wish the leash acted like the whip in Wild 9. I wish I could grab people and swing them into things like electrical wires, spikes, and spinning fans.

Wild 9 was the shit.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought the leash did that and was kinda disappointed when I tried everything and couldn't sidewhip a guy into power lines. I had to run around him and kick him in straight lines only.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I speculate its a control limitation issue.

I loooooove Homie Missile. I'll have to mess around some more. I had WAY too many 10pt headshots. That just wont do in such a game.

I also like the tutorial video going into excruciating detail explaining what the game is supposed to be.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    found another skill shot, lure one of the dudes in the first open area in front of that turret, get Friendly Fire for 500 pts

Local H Jay on
  • DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope this game has multiplayer leaderboards. I think that could be very entertaining

Dversed on