As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HDMI Connection Issues

SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
For maybe a year now, I've had intermittent issues with what I assume is the security behind an HDMI link. I'll go to turn my PS3 on, and no sound or video will come through. Then I'll try my Xbox 360 and either most of the time or every time, it'll come on and work for playing games I think, but DVDs and Netflix Instant will flash a white screen with the XBOX logo and give me a secure HDCP link error.

I think I've read that this is a problem unique to HDMI, but I can't figure out if it's more likely the TV, or the consoles, why it happens so rarely but somewhat regularly, or how to deal with it.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
Septus on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Where did you get this HDMI cable? Alternatively, when did you get this cable?
    Cheap shitty non-certified cables do exist (penny cables from Amazon), and old cables may not support the certification your devices need.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

$3 later, you have a new cable and can tell us if that was the problem.

Always test the cable when something like this happens.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I do believe I've used two different cables, however both are likely quite old, in the range of 7 years old. I will indeed buy a new one.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Necro Revival: I got the cables, and I've just now seen the exact same problem arise. As before, I get no video or sound from my PS3, and my Xbox 360 just gives me the white screen and xbox logo, with a secure HDCP link error when trying to play dvds or netflix instant. In the past, this has always gone away in a day or two, and I have absolutely no idea what causes it to correct itself.

Might this be my old-ish TV(maybe 6 or 7 years old)? Any other ideas?

Septus on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Does the tv support hdcp? Can you update the firmware on the tv?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is the TV. New HDMI cable AND xbox + ps3 both having problems? The only thing left is the TV. Get a new one.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is the TV. New HDMI cable AND xbox + ps3 both having problems? The only thing left is the TV. Get a new one.

But before you go ahead and drop hundreds of dollars on something that might be the problem, I suggest bringing one of your consoles and HDMI cord to a buddy's house and testing the system(s) on his/her hd tvs. Yes, it probably is the TV, but there's nothing wrong with being certain before plunking down $$$.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also if it is the TV, check what other options you have for connecting up the X-Box and Playstation.

If your TV has spare VGA or Component inputs you can get the appropriate cables for your consoles, they will still run at 720p/1080i, will have zero HDCP issues and all for the fraction of a price of a new TV.

Spam on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spam wrote: »
    Also if it is the TV, check what other options you have for connecting up the X-Box and Playstation.

If your TV has spare VGA or Component inputs you can get the appropriate cables for your consoles, they will still run at 720p/1080i, will have zero HDCP issues and all for the fraction of a price of a new TV.
    Actually I believe both of these will do the full range all the way up to 1080p.
    The VGA cable for the 360 is great and will give you the option to hook it up to any old monitor.
    It comes in handy way more than you think it would.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Actually I believe both of these will do the full range all the way up to 1080p.
    The VGA cable for the 360 is great and will give you the option to hook it up to any old monitor.

I have this cable as well, and it has made my life quite a bit easier.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

So I'm losing no quality? I presume I just lose the audio, and have to run separate audio cables?

I don't see much difference in testing my HDMI cables on another TV, because the problem is already so intermittent on my tv.

Now I'll have to go and try and determine whether I own any component cables by eyeballing the cord.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is what you want to run just audio out through the component: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042UQLM0/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I have it arriving tomorrow to hook up my Astro A40s while HDMI runs to the TV.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well, I'm confused. If I use component for video, can't I just use plain composite audio cables?

I don't think I'd notice the difference in audio quality.

Septus on
  • Options
    SpamSpam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Septus wrote: »
    Well, I'm confused. If I use component for video, can't I just use plain composite audio cables?

I don't think I'd notice the difference in audio quality.

Yes you can - the standard X-Box/PS3 Component cables and VGA cable both have standard Red/Black RCA composite audio connectors as well.

The Cable OnTheLastCastle linked is useful if you are using HDMI and have a seperate Amplifier, which is probably not much use to you since you want to avoid using HDMI.

*edit*

Get whichever of these is suitable for your TV:

Playstation 3 Component Cable
    Playstation 3 VGA Cable
    X-Box 360 Component Cable
    X-Box 360 VGA Cable

Spam on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Component signal quality may be somewhat limited, not on the 360 side but on the TV side. While it is possible for component cables to carry 1080p, many TV manufacturers only go as far as 720p/1080i on their component inputs. For most situations though, I think you'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference between 720 and 1080.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer