As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need serious help. Pc shutting itself down.

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
So, today I bought a new case and monitor.
I got an Antec 200v2.
Everything was fine and dandy, until the pc shut itself down.
And refused to start up for more than three seconds. Then eventually powered on.
It did it again. I'm looking at my PSU Voltages;

CPU: 1.28 V
+3.3V: 3.30 V
+12 V: 12.67 V
-12V: 6.14 V
VBAT: 3.25 V

Is my PSU fucked? Is it going to take everything with it? Has it already? I really have no clue. Please.
Help.
My PSU is an Antec Earthwatts 500W.

Rizzi on

• Monster Robert!Monster Robert! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Looks like one of your 12v rails is on it's way out the door.

Edit: did you drop the psu when swapping it between cases? And double check all connections.

Monster Robert! on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Triple checked all connections. :(
    And no, I didn't drop the psu.

Rizzi on
  • K0dosK0dos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Check your fans typically when a system shuts down it is thermal protection primarily for the processor or PSU. Power it on with case open and verify that all your fans spin up.

K0dos on
    139892.png
    edited January 2011
    Fans are all spinning. Gpu sits at 40 degrees, and the cpu sits at 30.
    Just pulled everything apart, and put it back together, and now it refuses to boot. :(

Rizzi on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    check that your mobo screws are in tight but not too tight. Make sure the spacers are in properly and no part of the board is touching the case. Also double check for any loose screws rattling about

could be a short somewhere

nexuscrawler on
    edited January 2011
    Did all that. The fans spin for a few seconds then everything stops.

Rizzi on
    edited February 2011
    Anyone?

Rizzi on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have you tried any basic troubleshooting? ie: unplugging everything except the basics needed to boot (RAM, CPU, Power). Then plug individual components back in until you can get it to not do what it was doing. If you unplug everything and it still does this, you've shorted something, somewhere. PSU, MoBo, something. In order to further narrow it down, I'd try plugging in another power supply (if you have a spare somewhere) to try and see if that solves it. If it does solve it, you have a bad psu. If it doesn't, you have a bad motherboard with potentially bad RAM/CPU.

Pirusu on
  • LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If it's powering down before posting after the rebuild, make sure the RAM is properly seated as well.

LeTwig on
    edited February 2011
    I think I may have fixed it actually. The power switch on the case was well.. Bent.

Rizzi on