As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fucking BIZARRE internet behaviour in Japan

surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloveddreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
Haj dudes. I'm living in Tokyo atm, and for the first few months I was here I was on an 80mbit down 50mbit up connection and everything was awesome. However, recently my steam downloads have been going criminally slowly and I checked my connection with speedtest:

1131692304.png

Does anybody have any suggestions for how I could find out what's going on? My upload is still flawless, yet my download is DESTROYED?

And I speedtest again 5 minutes later, and now it reports this:

1131696452.png

Yet my steam downloads won't go over 5-10kb/s. I am so lost - what's up?

obF2Wuw.png
surrealitycheck on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Have you set yout Steam location to Japan?

Echo on
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What provider are you using exactly?

Those speedtest results are odd, try unplugging it all and giving it a few minutes to reset. Otherwise you might have to call the company. Hope your Japanese is up to par!

So, how much are you playing for that connection...

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You might be breeching a fair use policy, or they might be throttling for another reason.

Is anything else running slow?

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah it looks like you will have to call NTT to figure out if they are throttling your download or not. At the very least they will send one of those uniformed dudes to your place to figure out what is going on.

Have you tried unplugging and resetting anything? are you using any other third party routers that might be causing a problem?

I am using NTT fiber internet in Saitama and have never had any problems with my connection speed, and I have never heard of any kind of bandwidth cap, of course that might be because I just haven't hit it yet :wink:

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys I thought this thread had died. I'm living in an apartment where the internet is shared, so I'm not really sure what is going on.

However, the steam behaviour has sharpened up a little bit - averaging about 70kb/s download now - while normal downloads are working reasonably quickly (maybe 10mbit/s). I just wish there was some kind of diagnostic I could do that would give me a good idea of what was going on.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png