As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] has launched!

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has anyone mentioned how the back touchpad feels? Is it rubbery, leathery? Are there bumps or ridges?

Depending on the material used, I'm worried it might bug the crap out of me. Like something you can't help but keep trailing your finger over.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dusda wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    Not knowing what XMB stands for, I couldn't help reading it as "Xbox Media . . . something that starts with B."
    Xross Media Bar.

Yea, me too.

Japan commonly sees X = Cross, I don't know why.

On using it for a touchscreen device, I could see it being pretty simple. Flick upwards or downwards on either the screen or the track pad to scroll up/down, flick left/right to scroll left/right, and tap on an icon to launch the selected thingy

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Not knowing what XMB stands for, I couldn't help reading it as "Xbox Media . . . something that starts with B."
    Xross Media Bar.

Yea, me too.

Japan commonly sees X = Cross, I don't know why.

On using it for a touchscreen device, I could see it being pretty simple. Flick upwards or downwards on either the screen or the track pad to scroll up/down, flick left/right to scroll left/right, and tap on an icon to launch the selected thingy

Actually, from what little we've seen about the new UI, it seems like it would be fairly elegant for a touchscreen. You'd instantly be able to hop into whatever sub-category you want to go into without having to manipulate things.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    So we know there's a NGP game by Kojima. There's already 2 MGS games coming, Rising and Snake Eater for 3DS.

Could it be that Zone of the Enders is back?!

I really like MGS, but even I know its time for ZOE.

Hahah. That's kind of a speculative ass-pull, but I hope to hell you're right. ZoE is awesome.

Heh I love speculating with video games.

But Kojima is working on something. Judging from what he's said in the last few months and what's already been done, its either MGS starring Big Boss again or ZoE.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Please be ZoE. As awesome as MGS5: PW was, we need more ZoE.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Okay so

I really want this thing. I want it bad. But the max I'm willing to pay is $300. It feels weird to say that, considering I'm talking about a portable, and I think $250 for the DS is absurd (I may get it when it drops to $180. But I really like everything I've seen about the NGP so far, whereas the more I hear about 3DS it kinda bums me out.

People complain about how a lot of PSP games tried to tie the console experience down to a handheld rather than creating their own unique thing, and I think that's true some of the time (R&C, Resistance and God of War), but the problem with those is it didn't have the second analog stick. Using face buttons to aim in Resistance was awful; using a shoulder button to dodge in God of War was simply not tolerable. This new handheld removes that problem of trying to create that experience with an incapable control method, so by all means, give me God of War PSP2.

Uncharted sounds nice! For the reason I just mentioned.

The PSP wasn't exactly lacking on games built around the system, though. Had a ton of RPGs and strategy games. Games like Patapon and Crisis Core were great for the portable experience. Had the best version of Chinatown Wars available, which is also great in bite-sized doses. What really excites me are the games that work best on the DS in the current handheld war: games like Phoenix Wright, 999, Elite Beat Agents, stuff where touch play is absolutely vital. Those are the kinds of games I'd love to see on the PSP2, and now they'd be able to do multiplatform versions of games of that type, except they'd be better on the PSP2, because, you know, the graphical edge.

Way, way excited about this.

Also Trophies motherfuckers

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Out of everything shown trophies are the least exciting things for me. :P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually enjoy Live and Steam achievements, but Trophies never really grabbed me in the same way for some reason.

I don't have any logical explanation for this.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So we know there's a NGP game by Kojima. There's already 2 MGS games coming, Rising and Snake Eater for 3DS.

Hahah. That's kind of a speculative ass-pull, but I hope to hell you're right. ZoE is awesome.

But Kojima is working on something. Judging from what he's said in the last few months and what's already been done, its either MGS starring Big Boss again or ZoE.

Policenauts 3DS. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Though I'll take a ZOE game.

Algertman on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I actually enjoy Live and Steam achievements, but Trophies never really grabbed me in the same way for some reason.

I don't have any logical explanation for this.

Do Steam Achievements have a ding?

I find the Achievement blip and the Trophy ding to be very satisfying

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

Policenauts 3DS. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Though I'll take a ZOE game.

I'm hoping it's on PSP2 instead.

No offense, but I like Kojima's stuff to be big budget. You know he would be the guy to come up with all sorts of neat stuff to do with the handheld.

What do I want to see? A game that lets you give someone a soothing back rub when using the back touchpad.

I wouldn't want to play a game like that, I'd just want to see it done.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I find the Achievement blip and the Trophy ding to be very satisfying

I only find the achievement ding to be satisfying. It's the only achievement system that elicits the immediate response of hitting the guide button to figure out what I got. But it is definitely the unlock sound that does it.

Also, it better not be a Zone of the Enders game coming for the PSP2, because then I'd have to buy a PSP2.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do we know how much of the BC is software or hardware based?

Couscous on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You mean PSP to PSP2?

I don't they've specified.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They've not really talked about the specifics, but I'd bet software. The PSP was a lot more traditional in design, IIRC, and so emulation shouldn't be as difficult as PS2.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will say I'm a bit depressed that they're moving away from the memory cards to the new proprietary format. I understand WHY of course, piracy and hacking, but I am curious as to how long it'll take for people to crack that open. I imagine there's no limit to the stuff you could do with it with that kinda hardware under the hood.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Like sony wouldn't jump at the chance to introduce yet another proprietary memory card that no one else will use.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Please be ZoE. As awesome as MGS5: PW was, we need more ZoE.

I don't really think it'd be ZOE if Kojima were directing it though, it's Murata's series and he's busy directing Rising at the moment.

A new MGS makes a lot more sense I think, expanding on what he did with Peace Walker. I mean, I'd prefer a new IP from him but I don't think Konami would allow it, they're basically the MGS company these days (w/ Pro Evo Soccer cameo).

Snatcher and Policenauts ports plus localizations would be amazing though.
    Couscous wrote: »
    Do we know how much of the BC is software or hardware based?

Software.
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Actually, from what little we've seen about the new UI, it seems like it would be fairly elegant for a touchscreen. You'd instantly be able to hop into whatever sub-category you want to go into without having to manipulate things.

And this is where cloudeagle and I actually agree. I was actually concerned they were going to stick with the XMB instead of something more intuitive for the touch screen. Right now I think it looks great. Loading looks really quick (the complete opposite of the PSP's UI...) and that the PSN has a lot more features that're missing on the PS3 (Steam-esque friend activity logs, etc).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/31/umd_ngp_releases/
    Joining the downloadable re-releases, Sony told Gigazine that it has plans to release PSP games on NGP's new card-based format. This is something that was not mentioned at last week's press conference. Sony's statement did not elaborate.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I cant look for too long at that back touchpad, it fees like an optical illusion.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder how soon they'll get around to making the touchscreen UI not look like a bad newgrounds flash game.

Probably never

Judging by the XMB, UI design is not their strong suit

You're insane - the XMB is great. Loads better than the 360 UI.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    I wonder how soon they'll get around to making the touchscreen UI not look like a bad newgrounds flash game.

Probably never

Maybe the original 360 UI...

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Probably never

And the current one. Everything that isn't an ad or the game in the tray is buried under several layers of menus.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Probably never

And the current one. Everything that isn't an ad or the game in the tray is buried under several layers of menus.

The problem with XMB is that it puts everything up there on front. If you want to adjust some system setting, you really have to look for it. It always takes me a while to figure out where the hell "system update" is.

I do like the concept of the XMB, but it needs at least a few submenus. Maybe if it divided up system settings to "video," "online," etc.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Probably never

The problem with XMB is that it puts everything up there on front. If you want to adjust some system setting, you really have to look for it. It always takes me a while to figure out where the hell "system update" is.

I do like the concept of the XMB, but it needs at least a few submenus. Maybe if it divided up system settings to "video," "online," etc.

I agree, the XMB could certainly be better. That doesn't negate the fact that it's loads better than the 360 UI. I love my 360 to death, but looking for, say, an indie game isn't intuitive. Also, it's riddled with ads despite that I pay $40/yr or so for gold.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just want to say that I don't think the balls are a good design choice for a UI.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I just want to say that I don't think the balls are a good design choice for a UI.

Yeah I don't think anybody likes them except for the 12 year old at Sony who did the mock-up.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Personally, I'd love it if they would just make the text pop out more. Or let you change the colour of it. I have a couple of neat themes on my PS3 that I would love to use, but because they have a white wallpaper they might as well be unusable since I can't see the bloody letters now.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am not opposed to the XMB. My wife has got it down to a science and my son is already figuring out how to get to what he wants. Not sure that it is worth stressing over.

Also, I hate to admit this, but I am definitely on-board for the NGP on one condition. There has got to be a hard case accessory that encloses the whole thing. I know that seems to be counter-intuitive to the touch functionality, but this is the best kid-friendly and travel-friendly media machine I have ever seen. I can't see them doing something like that though, but Sony really hit on something when it created the more kid-friendly bundles and then Target and Wal-Mart placed the nearly indestructible case right next to that on the shelf.

Also, Kojima did some cool things with the PSP. Big-budget or not, I would definitely check out any PSP product he stamped his name on.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Personally, I'd love it if they would just make the text pop out more. Or let you change the colour of it. I have a couple of neat themes on my PS3 that I would love to use, but because they have a white wallpaper they might as well be unusable since I can't see the bloody letters now.

You can darken the backgrounds. -2/3 is pretty good for white backgrounds

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Yeah I don't think anybody likes them except for the 12 year old at Sony who did the mock-up.

I like them. Not necessarily the fact that they're balls, but because an icon-based system is the most intuitive way to navigate through a touchscreen. Trying to put XMB on there would be all kinds of unwieldy.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

I like them. Not necessarily the fact that they're balls, but because an icon-based system is the most intuitive way to navigate through a touchscreen. Trying to put XMB on there would be all kinds of unwieldy.

Really? Using the built-in d-pad to move through an organized menu would be unwieldy?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Really? Using the built-in d-pad to move through an organized menu would be unwieldy?

Well, compare 4-5 moves of the D-pad to get to your location to access a submenu vs. just poking the icon once. It's quicker.

After using the various smartphone platforms for a couple of years, both the XMB and the 360's UI both seem a little clunky.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Well, compare 4-5 moves of the D-pad to get to your location to access a submenu vs. just poking the icon once. It's quicker.

After using the various smartphone platforms for a couple of years, both the XMB and the 360's UI both seem a little clunky.

I could get behind a neat collection of icons, but only if I had the option of using the d-pad. I don't like to touch screens if I don't have to. They're hard enough to keep clean as is.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I could get behind a neat collection of icons, but only if I had the option of using the d-pad. I don't like to touch screens if I don't have to. They're hard enough to keep clean as is.

Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with the PS3 interface, but couldn't you make it applicable on a touch screen easily enough? Tap the icon or select it with a d-pad and buttons. If you need to move over to select something offscreen you could just tap an arrow icon on either side of the shown icons.

I honestly just think that the whole XMB thing looks pretty slick and will throw in a vote for favoring it over the 360s UI as well.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Admittedly I don't have a lot of experience with the PS3 interface, but couldn't you make it applicable on a touch screen easily enough? Tap the icon or select it with a d-pad and buttons. If you need to move over to select something offscreen you could just tap an arrow icon on either side of the shown icons.

I honestly just think that the whole XMB thing looks pretty slick and will throw in a vote for favoring it over the 360s UI as well.

The problem with a touch-screen XMB is that the options scroll off screen, not to mention you have to have a fair amount of precision to line up the "cross" so you can go up and down rather than side to side. With controllers it's easy, but with fingers you run the risk of making it a chore to drag them over, or too loose to where you slip past the area you wanted and having to go back. Essentially, this is a system designed with a d-pad in mind. With a touch-screen, icons are easier.

That said, there's no reason they couldn't put d-pad support into the icon system.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

The problem with a touch-screen XMB is that the options scroll off screen, not to mention you have to have a fair amount of precision to line up the "cross" so you can go up and down rather than side to side. With controllers it's easy, but with fingers you run the risk of making it a chore to drag them over, or too loose to where you slip past the area you wanted and having to go back. Essentially, this is a system designed with a d-pad in mind. With a touch-screen, icons are easier.

That said, there's no reason they couldn't put d-pad support into the icon system.

Or they can have both and let you pick, with the new one being the defualt

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think the NGP should leverage a UI similar to the iPhone or Phone 7 style. Tile-based grid that either pages left to right or continuously scrolls up and down. Simple, elegant, and pretty.

Floating shiny balls tossed across the screen are none of those.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Too much wasted space in the current UI. I'm guessing it's more than likely a placeholder for now. Tile based UI sounds good but I would rather have the XMB. If it's too small as a touh UI, make it bigger, I mean it's not like there's a shortage of screen space.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, really, considering that every single Sony device ever, from their TV's to the Playstation family to their cameras use the XMB, they are likely going to adapt it, or tell you to use the damn D-pad to navigate the menus

elliotw2 on
This discussion has been closed.