As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TV Shows that died too early.

• frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rohan wrote: »
    I think nobody mentioned Farscape:

FARSCAPE!

Stopped way to early :(

I was enjoying Farscape until about halfway through season 2, when it went completely off the deep end.

Wait so you didn't even get to the episodes with the princess and the statues and crap?

Damn

Man, those are the episodes that finally made me quit watching. I just kept waiting for the show to get good, like people here kept promising, but it never happened. There were fleeting moments of genius, but the whole show was just bogged down by substandard writing.

I remember when Ron Moore said that he didn't want BSG to end up like farscape: The writers writing for themselves and there three remaining fans. A lot of people were pissed at that quote, but it struck me as very accurate as someone who really liked the first season, but ditched the show as it got more and more bizzare.

frandelgearslip on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Instead he wrote for God! *rimshot*

Xeddicus on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of korgoth and Adult swim, AS has tons of "Stories" (rumors which seem plausible to me) about the shit they churn out just so the original creators keep good ratings on their shows for prestige reasons. When an anime started getting better ratings then Aqua teen hunger force, an executive took all the new episodes, and put them on at 5:30AM on Saturday only. The executive helped make/created ATHF. I think this was around the era that all the green screen 30 cent shows started hitting and doing abysmally.

Besides the shit that got put in in the middle of the second season, I really liked the terminator tv series. Dollhouse in parts went to really interesting places except the fact that you want to feel sorry for all these people using the service because of their circumstances, and then you realize that there still having sex with the/abusing the dolls in the end. It's also probably really hard to write an episode that isn't "be a special op kung fu master for us" or "you're a prostitute!" in that series.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright, I'm going to be taking some time tomorrow to clean up the OP and add a bunch of links to shows suggested in this thread; from there I'll check and see if they are available on netflix (differentiating between US and Canada-land) and will post their rating next to it. Any other suggestions on what should be in the OP?

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I didn't take the time to go through the entire thread, but I thought I'd mention a couple:

Firefly - Simply amazing. 'Nuff said
    The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - Western + Sci-fi + Bruce Campbell and his chin. What more could you ask for?
    Jack of All Trades - Another Bruce Campbell vehicle that I loved
    Roughnecks: The Starship Troopers Chronicles - CGI series. They ended it right as the Bugs were attacking Earth! WTF?! I need to know what happens! Order the last couple episodes, damn it.

Looking at these, I notice a couple recurring themes. Curse my interests and their lack of mainstream-ity.

Karrde1842 on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    So, I'm watching the The Inside again. You know how Jayne was great on Firefly? Adam Baldwin is equally awesome on this show. And it's written really well.

That's another reason to go find the Daybreak DVD set.

Because Adam Baldwin is pretty damned awesome.

Until you read his twitter.

noir_blood on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Smith.

Ray Liotta, Simon Baker and Amy Smart in a heist, bank robber type show. Only lasted three episodes. How that failed I'll never know.

Maximum on
    edited January 2011
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So, I'm watching the The Inside again. You know how Jayne was great on Firefly? Adam Baldwin is equally awesome on this show. And it's written really well.

Yeah, then he becomes unbelievably awesome- he actually IS his characters!

Xeddicus on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

FARSCAPE!

I was enjoying Farscape until about halfway through season 2, when it went completely off the deep end.

Wait so you didn't even get to the episodes with the princess and the statues and crap?

Damn

Man, those are the episodes that finally made me quit watching. I just kept waiting for the show to get good, like people here kept promising, but it never happened. There were fleeting moments of genius, but the whole show was just bogged down by substandard writing.

I remember when Ron Moore said that he didn't want BSG to end up like farscape: The writers writing for themselves and there three remaining fans. A lot of people were pissed at that quote, but it struck me as very accurate as someone who really liked the first season, but ditched the show as it got more and more bizzare.

Wow I'm really surprised they made a movie just for me and the two other fans!

This is honestly the first place I've ever encountered more than one individual who has both heard of farscape and hates it

override367 on
    edited January 2011

FARSCAPE!

Damn

Wow I'm really surprised they made a movie just for me and the two other fans!

This is honestly the first place I've ever encountered more than one individual who has both heard of farscape and hates it

Well, if 2012 is the end times then we're just starting to see the signs I guess.

Xeddicus on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whoah whoah... what? There are people that don't like Farscape? My wife saw the first 3 seasons on Netflix Instant and insisted we buy the box set and plow through the rest.

There are bizarre things in the show, but it isn't a bizarre show. The entire series ends up being character studies. That's why I like it, less meta-plot-drama and more deep characterization.

Isn't it the same reason we all watched Cowboy Bebop?

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I'm watching the first season of Chuck (don't know how I missed this show!), and when he growls at a guy at Stanford to "go take a shower, hippie" it's fun to know that it comes from the heart.

mcdermott on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »

I'm watching the first season of Chuck (don't know how I missed this show!), and when he growls at a guy at Stanford to "go take a shower, hippie" it's fun to know that it comes from the heart.

Reason number 101 why Bioware really screwed up with Kal Reegar in Mass Effect 2.

electricitylikesme on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Can I put Countdown on the list?

I'm only like three-quarters kidding.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Whoah whoah... what? There are people that don't like Farscape? My wife saw the first 3 seasons on Netflix Instant and insisted we buy the box set and plow through the rest.

There are bizarre things in the show, but it isn't a bizarre show. The entire series ends up being character studies. That's why I like it, less meta-plot-drama and more deep characterization.

I guess the difference to me is while watching Cowboy Bebop I didn't feel there there should have been the silhouette of a guy and two robots at the bottom of the screen :P

HappylilElf on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Season 1 of Farscape is the one season I don't particularly like (by the end of season 1 I don't feel like watching the rest, even though I remember it being awesome).

Well, I'm not a huge fan of Peacekeeper Wars either but that is just because it feels so compressed, shoving an entire seasons worth of plot into three hours.

Tomanta on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't like Farscape. It's too... Farscape.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited January 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Season 1 of Farscape is the one season I don't particularly like (by the end of season 1 I don't feel like watching the rest, even though I remember it being awesome).

Well, I'm not a huge fan of Peacekeeper Wars either but that is just because it feels so compressed, shoving an entire seasons worth of plot into three hours.

Yeah. It ends well (I think), but the first 30 minutes or so especially are ungodly spastic because of how much they had to fit in.

Pretty sure the above mentioned chunk of time was supposed to be around 5 episodes alone.

Mblackwell on

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

There's a great scene in season...3, I believe, involving him, Beckman, and a photo of Reagan. Being familiar with his political beliefs made it funnier than it probably should have been.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't say that I don't like Farscape, but I don't enjoy it either. If someone puts it on, and there's nothing really else to do, I'll watch it. But I'm never going to spend money or my own time going through the show.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bullio wrote: »

There's a great scene in season...3, I believe, involving him, Beckman, and a photo of Reagan. Being familiar with his political beliefs made it funnier than it probably should have been.

It's season 2. Chuck vs. the Predator, I think.

EDIT: And Quid, if you think the first season is great, you haven't seen anything yet. The second is fantastic television and the reason the fans made it not be on topic in this thread.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bullio wrote: »

It's season 2. Chuck vs. the Predator, I think.

And that photo? It's not a prop - it's Baldwin's.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Probably already mentioned but:

dollhouse_42993.jpg

I need some more sustenance go with my Californication while True Blood, Entourage, Boardwalk and Dexter are off season.

Speaking of Californication, is there a thread for that yet? My search button seems to be doing nothing for me at the moment.

P.S.S. Has anyone seen Episodes or Shameless, and are they worth while?

KoopahTroopah on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No, Shameless isn't really worthwhile at the moment. William H. Macy's character is just a jackass without any redeemable qualities, it should say something that Dexter is more sympathetic than him. The show itself tries to be a dramedy but fails because the comedy isn't that funny and they don't spend enough time on the drama to make it worthwhile.

Honestly, if they just killed off Macy's character it would probably work. It's just they focus way too much on him and since he's not funny, redeemable and just an all around jackass you wonder what's the point? Why do any of these people give a flying fuck about him? If he was to disappear and they focused only on the family it'd be so much better.

Invisible on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Invisible wrote: »
    No, Shameless isn't really worthwhile at the moment. William H. Macy's character is just a jackass without any redeemable qualities, it should say something that Dexter is more sympathetic than him. The show itself tries to be a dramedy but fails because the comedy isn't that funny and they don't spend enough time on the drama to make it worthwhile.

Honestly, if they just killed off Macy's character it would probably work. It's just they focus way too much on him and since he's not funny, redeemable and just an all around jackass you wonder what's the point? Why do any of these people give a flying fuck about him? If he was to disappear and they focused only on the family it'd be so much better.

That sucks, I would only watch it for Emma anyway. She's cute as shit.

KoopahTroopah on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I watched the first 4 episodes of Californication this weekend. It completely failed to hook me.

All I got out of it was "We're Showtime, we can be edgy just like HBO! Right, guys! Right?"

adytum on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Throw me on the Farscape is awesome pile. I can't fathom loving the first season and hating the rest. Season one has the most stuff that stands out as 'wacky' for me, after that it's just a genuinely weird universe filled with well crafted characters.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    By the end of Season 2 you should be ready to never stop riding the crazy train.

Mblackwell on

• psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Liar's, Guns and Money should be enough to convince anybody that the show knows how to balance the insanity with good character interaction, drama and comic relief.

"Goodbye my friends, thank you for teaching me to kill again"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

I have heard of and dislike both Farscape and Cowboy Bebop, what do I win?
    a grave

Coinage on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pretty sure everyone's mentioned everything else I could think of, so lets go with an incredible pilot that SciFi never picked up. Behold: The Amazing Screw on Head!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5434666681046246946#

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I know that they really didn't have plans for any more seasons (apart from a possible immigration plot), but I was recently reminded how sad I am that there are only five seasons of The Wire.

Hedgethorn on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dusda wrote: »
    Pretty sure everyone's mentioned everything else I could think of, so lets go with an incredible pilot that SciFi never picked up. Behold: The Amazing Screw on Head!

Wow. Whatever exec passed that up needs to be fired. I suggest a 105mm howitzer.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    I watched the first 4 episodes of Californication this weekend. It completely failed to hook me.

All I got out of it was "We're Showtime, we can be edgy just like HBO! Right, guys! Right?"

Give it a few more episodes, it's a wonderful show.

Delta Assault on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Californication takes a couple of episodes to get it's legs and stop pandering. Season 2's story arc is especially great.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Season 3's when it went bad. People should avoid Season 3.

Delta Assault on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dusda wrote: »

Wow. Whatever exec passed that up needs to be fired. I suggest a 105mm howitzer.

Yeah, Amazing Screw-On Head is one of the best animated pilots I've ever seen. I had to assume the show would never have found an audience, though. It's a little too weird.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Probably already mentioned but:

dollhouse_42993.jpg

I need some more sustenance go with my Californication while True Blood, Entourage, Boardwalk and Dexter are off season.

Speaking of Californication, is there a thread for that yet? My search button seems to be doing nothing for me at the moment.

P.S.S. Has anyone seen Episodes or Shameless, and are they worth while?

man people miss dollhouse? I like whedon a lot, and I gave dollhouse every chance, and it just never came through for me. islands of brilliance drowned in oceans of mediocrity. terminator: the sarah connor chronicles was a LOT more consistent.

dollhouse just didnt play to whedon's strengths. eliza dushku couldn't really hold up echo, which was a very difficult role. and the show took way too long to take off and make her actually a person who could develop and who we could be interested in. thats a show where often the supporting characters were way more interesting than the lead.

valiance on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    valiance wrote: »
    a show where often the supporting characters were way more interesting than the lead.

Speaking of the Sarah Connor Chronicles...I guess it kind of had multiple characters, but Sarah Connor was in my opinion the least interesting character out of the main four.

DarkCrawler on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Has this show been mentioned yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGY4SDklUCs

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'