As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM | gaben@valvesoftware.com/mooleyftw

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I got thrown out of Mafia 2 earlier but Steam had a dialog box open regarding some stuff it need to install for the game.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just hoping LucasArts would make available Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and possibly Willow from NES/Arcade as a hybrid.
    Pass on all the STAR WARS.

I wouldn't be surprised with a CMI SE sometime, even though it still looks perfectly fine. I wouldn't hold my breath for the others though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    What can it mean when a game simply closes without provocation? This had been happening to me infrequently while playing DAO and I had chalked it up to my multitude of mods, but in the last week or two it's been happening at random (as far as I can tell) regardless of what game I'm playing, often in menus prior to even entering gameplay.

Is this the sort of thing that could be symptomatic of just about any problem, or might it be easier to nail? I'm used to crashes giving me some kind of clue about what might be the cause, but this is a total mystery.

If you're saying that regardless of what game you play you often get crashes to the desktop, and you haven't changed drivers, it could be these things:

Failing RAM, Overheating, Graphics Card failure, Failing PSU.

I'm facing the same problem (With liberal BSODs thrown in) - only when playing games, and after having replaced my PSU and tried all sorts of graphics drivers, I believe it's the RAM.

It's possible that hardware is the issue, but the closing just occurs so erratically. I'm able to play for days without a crash, and I haven't had any BSODs or any notifications of any kind. I have the impression that a hardware issue would present more forcefully and consistently, as with you, or be more degenerative- maybe I'm wrong in thinking this. Going to look into alternate video drivers and hope that's it.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    Dear darmak,
    Why the fuck would you buy her the game D:

Because she enjoys it?

edit: I'm sorry Centipeed, I won't buy anything else until I get your approval first.

Guys, if Darmak seems a little peevish right now, cut him some slack because he obviously has a lot on his mind what with the imminent disintegration of his marriage to a crazy woman. ;-)

Hence my question as to why he bought it for her. Sure, she likes it but if it freaks you out...

I was just kidding about that. She doesn't actually get mad and I think it's cute.

I know I was kidding also. It's cool you found someone with a similar interest. Didn't she tell you off for spending so much during the christmas sale? Our am I thinking of another paer?

Probably me? But those sales were ca-razy, dear wife! I'd be an idiot to pass them up!

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just hoping LucasArts would make available Grim Fandango, The Curse of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Outlaws, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb and possibly Willow from NES/Arcade as a hybrid.

I just got Grim Fandango off Goozex for $12 worth of points. Only had to be in my queue for a few years for it to pay off. :D

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just finished the first Kane & Lynch. While I had said earlier in the thread that it didn't seem like that bad of a game, I wouldn't exactly call it a good game either. The Freedom Fighters-like squad mechanics they introduced in the beginning were pretty disappointing compared to FF. I got tired of the game pretty quickly.

Oh well. At least I only paid $3.24 for it. Maybe I'll play the sequel tomorrow. At least it'll look interesting.

SteevL on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    New thread with no sale. How disappointing fellows!

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    While out on the job in the sims 3, I just saw someone die
    by dissolving into a pile of ash, and then having their blackened soul, beating and pulsing with a blood-red core, cleft in twain by the Grim Reaper. Whom I made acquaintances with afterward.
    Suddenly I'm not quite so sad about making the plunge yesterday. :shock: :D

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Drag00n2019Drag00n2019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

I just got Grim Fandango off Goozex for $12 worth of points. Only had to be in my queue for a few years for it to pay off. :D

I just have the CD jewel case release of it and I'm not even sure if it'll run on Vista Service Pack 2 or not.:?

Drag00n2019 on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sorenson wrote: »
    by dissolving into a pile of ash, and then having their blackened soul, beating and pulsing with a blood-red core, cleft in twain by the Grim Reaper. Whom I made acquaintances with afterward.

The HELL?

What brought that sequence of events about, and did it involve locking someone in a room they couldn't escape from?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just noticed I have more than twice as many Steam friends show up as having Torchlight as have freaking Half-Life 2. 37 vs 17.

That seems insane to me. I mean, yes, it's Torchlight and all that. But... but... Half-Life 2? Blimey.

Jazz on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I just have the CD jewel case release of it and I'm not even sure if it'll run on Vista Service Pack 2 or not.:?
    It should, the only issue you may run into is the installer is 16 bit, which means 64 bit Windows will not run it. In that case, if you can install it elsewhere and move the install, you should be fine though.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    I just noticed I have more than twice as many Steam friends show up as having Torchlight as have freaking Half-Life 2. 37 vs 17.

That seems insane to me. I mean, yes, it's Torchlight and all that. But... but... Half-Life 2? Blimey.

If going by the thing in the details view of the game list, that shows how many have played it and since HL2 was out for a good number of years before Steam started permanently tracking game time. The store page shows how many friends own it, but won't give a full list.

For example, I have 46 friends that have played HL2 according to Steam, but 73 that own it. For Torchlight my friend numbers are 48 players and 50 owners.

Peewi on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

If going by the thing in the details view of the game list, that shows how many have played it and since HL2 was out for a good number of years before Steam started permanently tracking game time. The store page shows how many friends own it, but won't give a full list.

For example, I have 46 friends that have played HL2 according to Steam, but 73 that own it. For Torchlight my friend numbers are 48 players and 50 owners.

Ah. Duh. 46 Half-Life 2 vs 41 Torchlight, then.

It's only almost pretty nuts, then.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It should, the only issue you may run into is the installer is 16 bit, which means 64 bit Windows will not run it. In that case, if you can install it elsewhere and move the install, you should be fine though.

Oh I have 32-bit Vista and not the soon/but actually gradual upgrade via NewEgg with a tower which has 7 Quad Core 64-bit. Well I do have alot of older PC games with a few or several newer ones.
    Grim Fandango did install but forgot to patch it. Was gonna use a NoCD EXE but figured it was too much of a hassle. Same for The Curse of Monkey Island.

Drag00n2019 on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Centipeed wrote: »
    What can it mean when a game simply closes without provocation? This had been happening to me infrequently while playing DAO and I had chalked it up to my multitude of mods, but in the last week or two it's been happening at random (as far as I can tell) regardless of what game I'm playing, often in menus prior to even entering gameplay.

Is this the sort of thing that could be symptomatic of just about any problem, or might it be easier to nail? I'm used to crashes giving me some kind of clue about what might be the cause, but this is a total mystery.

If you're saying that regardless of what game you play you often get crashes to the desktop, and you haven't changed drivers, it could be these things:

Failing RAM, Overheating, Graphics Card failure, Failing PSU.

I'm facing the same problem (With liberal BSODs thrown in) - only when playing games, and after having replaced my PSU and tried all sorts of graphics drivers, I believe it's the RAM.

It's possible that hardware is the issue, but the closing just occurs so erratically. I'm able to play for days without a crash, and I haven't had any BSODs or any notifications of any kind. I have the impression that a hardware issue would present more forcefully and consistently, as with you, or be more degenerative- maybe I'm wrong in thinking this. Going to look into alternate video drivers and hope that's it.

This doesn't sound like a hardware issue at all. It is almost definitely either drivers or something more obscure that's up with Windows. A hardware issue would not cause a game to just shut down and windows is still running fine. Overheating, for example, just can't choose to affect one application you're running and suddenly you're fine.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong on this, but in over a decade of building my own PCs and PCs for friends, I've never come across hardware issues causing that.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Athenor wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »

The HELL?

What brought that sequence of events about, and did it involve locking someone in a room they couldn't escape from?
    No dickery, it was COMPLETILY out of the blue and was just as much a shock to me as it is you. Spoiler'd for folks who're still teeterin' on the brink of buying:
    I was busy makin' the rounds as a ghost hunter and got called in for some penny ante stuff at this one high-rise. Stuff was goin' good, I was done with 3 out of 4 and was just letting the AI do it since being already at the top of the career I'd been there and done that. My dude is on the last ghost when outta' fuckin' nowhere the game snaps up the camera and goes to the upstairs hallway of the highrise where this chick is clutchin' at her chest or throat or whatever and makin' the usual death gags and stuff, 'cept that instead of just keelin' over 'cause of something stupid like starvation or bladder rupture she makes like Lot's wife and dissolves into a pile of dust. People're pourin' out of the other apartments in all sorts of half-nude states due to this being the ass-end of midnight and gawking and mourning over the body (And I, being the paranormal expert around there, queued up the only logical thing: clean up).

And then shit hits a fucking JET ENGINE.

Now I ain't met ol' Grim yet so the update to his theme alone was one hell of a wallop, and rightfully so everybody is freaking the fuck out. Off to the side a bit, a little urn thing appears like in the other games, and then a figure starts to be drawn in, which I figured to be the departed's ghost. Unlike the spooks I've been cleaning up as part of my job, though, this one is...very different. Rather than the bright, translucent neon tone that most ghosts took, this one's "skin" was as black as the death that had taken it, nearly opaque, almost no visible details. But even worse was the bloody red glow that engulfed the upper half of its chest, shrinking and contracting in a rythemic pulse that synced perfectly. And its eyes! Bright, glowing, almost blinding, like it were channelling some foul ethereal power even other undead dared not to touch!

Materializing in full, it fell to its knees in front of His Grimness to plea for mercy, but mercy this...thing would not receive. As it stood to receive its judgement, the Reaper chortled as he so does when he wins, brought back his scyth...and with one quick slice, the black soul was gone.

Poking around a bit afterwards, it seems that this is something due to the reintroduction of Vampirism through Late Night, so I'm going to have to mess around with the debug cheats and shit to see if I can replicate what happened (but given how stripped-down they are compared to 2, I honestly don't have much hope).

Sorenson on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Oh I have 32-bit Vista and not the soon/but actually gradual upgrade via NewEgg with a tower which has 7 Quad Core 64-bit. Well I do have alot of older PC games with a few or several newer ones.
    Grim Fandango did install but forgot to patch it. Was gonna use a NoCD EXE but figured it was too much of a hassle. Same for The Curse of Monkey Island.

This is handy: http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-launcher

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011

This is handy: http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-launcher

Thanks! I uninstalled it earlier since the NoCD thing wouldn't let the game run even with the disc in. Now I'm looking through boxes for alot of my older games lately to play.

Drag00n2019 on
  • Options
    PheacePheace Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Pheace's Humble Indie Contest!
    I have a copy of the latest Humble Indie Bundle #2 to give away. I believe it also awards Humble Indie Bundle #1.

So that means this contest gives you: Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans | World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru HD, Penumbra Overture, Samorost 2 ! With most redeemable on your Steam account!

Sounds like something worth competing over correct?! xD

Well, it won't come easy!
    I want you to paint a funny picture/comic, with paint shop which preferably includes all of these: A Cat(s), A Desert Eagle or The Buster Sword (from Final Fantasy) and... a Sakura Flower.

The winner will be chosen by my girlfriend. The items are some of her favorite things. (yes she loves Desert Eagles xD) I will show her the pictures people come up with and the one she likes best gets the Humble Indie Bundle set :)
    Small note* Cats getting massacred, bad idea :x

Pheace on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Sims 3 Ultimate Bundle is still taunting me. I "aquired" a copy of the Sims 3 awhile back, and after a few hours of playing I decided that the game was worth a purchase. Sadly though, after uninstalling it I never got around to actually doing it. Now Steam comes up to me a month after blowing my wad on Christmas, Sales, and Birthdays telling me I can have the whole thing for half off. Grr.

So now I'm in the situation of "Spend money I barely have, and shouldn't spend, on a game bundle I want but would go into a sea on backlogged games" or "Wait 6 months for possibly another discount during the July 4th Summer sale".

[begrudgingly]
    Sigh.... waiting is it...
    [/begrudgingly]

Decoy on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When does the summer sale kick in? My memory is a little fuzzy but I recall it being june?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So uh... my wife caught me playing Super Meat Boy last night. First time I was ever caught doing something other than pr0n and yet I still felt ashamed of myself.

Her: What is that?
    Me: !!! Uh... it's a game called Super Meat Boy
    Her: ...
    Me: (digging myself into a deep hole) Yeah, it's a game about a wad of meat trying to save his girlfriend, Bandage girl, from the evil Doctor Fetus.
    Her: That's disgusting.
    Me: Yeah, heh, uh, it's pretty bizarre isn't it?
    Her: Bizarre isn't the word for it. You'll never let your daughter see this right?!?
    Me: Yes ma'am!!

:(

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So uh... my wife caught me playing Super Meat Boy last night. First time I was ever caught doing something other than pr0n and yet I still felt ashamed of myself.

Her: What is that?
    Me: !!! Uh... it's a game called Super Meat Boy
    Her: ...
    Me: (digging myself into a deep hole) Yeah, it's a game about a wad of meat trying to save his girlfriend, Bandage girl, from the evil Doctor Fetus.
    Her: That's disgusting.
    Me: Yeah, heh, uh, it's pretty bizarre isn't it?
    Her: Bizarre isn't the word for it. You'll never let your daughter see this right?!?
    Me: Yes ma'am!!

:(

... I don't understand what Super Meat Boy possesses that makes you able to be "caught" playing it?

Is it the blood? Because there's a lot of that, but surely you play other games around her that have blood in them?

Or is it just her?

Edit: Submit it here:

http://isthewiferight.com/

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Aw man, that site is hilarious! Great, now I'm not going to get anything done today. :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, to answer your question:

1: She's vegetarian.
    2: I suppose there's a difference between the The Witcher slashing like a seasoned killer and a wad of meat (food) slipping around messily.
    3: She's also pro-life. (Not in the clinic-bombing way, more in the not-wanting-to-kill-anything way. See #1.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Lot of wife talk in the new thread.

I like it. :)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    Lot of wife talk in the new thread.

I like it. :)
    :^:

And Big Isy, you're probably thinking about me and my girlfriend, re the scolding for spending so much during the last sale. But you want to know how that turned out?

We're playing and having a blast with Just Cause 2 and Dragon Age every single night, secure in the fact that we have a long backlog even after that, and she herself is counting the days until the summer sale to see if the Sims 3 drops in price. :D

gilrain on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Aw man, that site is hilarious! Great, now I'm not going to get anything done today. :P

2: I suppose there's a difference between the The Witcher slashing like a seasoned killer and a wad of meat (food) slipping around messily.
    3: She's also pro-life. (Not in the clinic-bombing way, more in the not-wanting-to-kill-anything way. See #1.)

Was she angry at first though? The reason I ask is because you can't tell it's a boy made out of meat just by looking, nor can you tell that he's fighting a fetus over his girlfriend.

Although I can see how the blood trail and squishing sound would certainly be disgusting if you were sensitive to that sort of thing.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the blood trail and squishing sound are what she noticed. I guess I had the volume a little to high on my headset.

She wasn't really mad, just disgusted.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I guess you can always play as Super Tofu Boy.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

Biggest challenge in the game. Infact, isn't it impossible?

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    This doesn't sound like a hardware issue at all. It is almost definitely either drivers or something more obscure that's up with Windows. A hardware issue would not cause a game to just shut down and windows is still running fine. Overheating, for example, just can't choose to affect one application you're running and suddenly you're fine.

I mean, maybe I'm wrong on this, but in over a decade of building my own PCs and PCs for friends, I've never come across hardware issues causing that.

This was my intuition, and it seems to be the case. Shortly after I posted I updated my video drivers, went to test L4D2 and Steam told me the game was "unavailable." Googled that issue, applied the recommended fixes and I haven't had any closes so far. So until it happens again, I'll go ahead and blame Steam.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Biggest challenge in the game. Infact, isn't it impossible?

Poor thing can't even beat the first level of the game. Just looks like he wants to die and end it all.

(Although, I'm sure some crazy obsessives have discovered a way for it to beat another level in the game, dunno.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I'd say her being vegetarian likely would have little to nothing to do with it. My wife's vegetarian as well, and she actually enjoys watching me play it.

Dourin on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Besides, SMB isn't made of meat, he's just a boy with no skin. (Okay, he's technically still made of meat, but not the way people think it).

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dourin wrote: »

I'd say her being vegetarian likely would have little to nothing to do with it. My wife's vegetarian as well, and she actually enjoys watching me play it.

I imagine, since she's pro-life, the fact that the villain is "Dr. Fetus" is what broke the camel's back.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I actually had no idea he was "Dr. Fetus" for the longest time. I accidentally skipped the intro video, and didn't notice until someone in the thread mentioned it.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I started trying to enjoy Titan Quest again for some reason, and I feel like this game is a huge bummer when it comes to developing a character. A ton of the skills are of the "unscaling flat damage" type, so they become worthless in later difficulties, or even sooner than that.

I picked a "Warlock" (spirit+rogue) expecting to have a necromancer kinda character with some tricks, lots of poisons, and the option of stabbing people, but a bunch of the core skills are kinda useless. Apparently Envenom Weapon and Life Drain both get shit for scaling, so neither one warrants a long-term investment. Meanwhile Ternion Attack has apparently been nerfed heavily from its original form, and it's obnoxious to use (shots frequently miss even while surrounded by enemies).

I can charm a guy, but the cooldown is like five fucking minutes. My pet Liche is cool, except he's basically a better character than me with much more fun skills. I wish I could play as that instead. My guy should be his pet.

I think I'll just say screw it and play Torchlight for the 10th time instead.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MX vs ATV Reflex for £3.65 at Direct2Drive UK. If you use the promo code PAYDAY you have a 20% discount and you get it for £2.92.
    The game can be registered in Steam.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've had a similar experience. My daughters watching me play Magicka for a few minutes where I blow up humanoid creatures: fine.

Playing Super Meat Boy: "This may not be the best thing to let the girls see."

Really?

It's rare that I play any games while my daughters are awake, but in both those cases they woke up unexpectedly - and I was playing on the TV and not the desktop.

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor