As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Train Alliance 2011 (PAXTrain East!) - Metal Gear Train SOLD OUT!

• Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    True. How about we just post in the thread when and how we're heading back then? That way if there's somebody on the same train/plane we can get some extra gaming in, and if not no harm.

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going back on the Metal Gear Line on Monday (3/14, or Pi day for us nerds), and I'd bet that I won't be alone.

Durinthal on
  • ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys!

I'm not sure if this has ever been brought up before, but is there a similar train alliance for Prime? I am aware of the cross country trip and the west coast only train trip. I'm talking about basically reversing some of these train routes and set them on a course for Seattle. If I don't have a car by the time I get out of college (which I HOPE I have one by then...) I would love to do something like this. I was just curious if people are interested in doing that eventually. Sorry if this has been brought up before.

ArcanicEight on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    There hasn't been. Traditionally it's the CCST to Prime and the ETA to east. The ETA spawned out of the fact that March is far too early in the year to cross the rocky mountains with a caravan of cars safely. Also the myriad of other unsafe driving weather that can occur across other parts of the country,

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• dmoffittdmoffitt Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Got our tix today (if ya want to update me in zee list).

dmoffitt on
  • ahandshoeahandshoe Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear Line
    Name: Andrew Handshoe
    Boarding Stop: Sandusky, Ohio
    Ticket Purchased: Yes

First ever PAX, so excited to be a part of the festivities!

ahandshoe on
  • blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear
    Name: blAAAm!!!
    Boarding Stop: Clevelando, OH
    Ticket Purchased: Y

blAAAm!!! on
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey folks, bad news. Due to schedule constraints I have to fly this year. :( Ill try and meet you all at the train station though. So have fun and I'll see ya there.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • PsydanmanPsydanman Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Hmm, this sounds very appealing. I was planning on driving up from Baltimore as I am doing BYOC, but I guess it would be possible to BYOC in a large piece of luggage on a train.

I looked it up and it would only be about $150 round trip and gas alone would cost me $100 if I drive roundtrip.

I'm still a little worried about traveling on a train with my computer. Would feel safer to have it in my back seat or trunk.

Psydanman on
    edited January 2011
    Amtrak is pretty generous with carry-on size. Depending on the size, you could pack your computer and monitor into a carry on bag, bring another carry-on bag, and still have room for checked bags if you need more than that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Amtrak is pretty generous with carry-on size. Depending on the size, you could pack your computer and monitor into a carry on bag, bring another carry-on bag, and still have room for checked bags if you need more than that.

Quoted for truth. In the past I have taken a mid tower PC (in its original box with a case grip around it), a mid size carry on bag full of pc stuffs and my 22" monitor, a separate carry-on with my clothes and such, and backpack full of snacks a jacket and my laptop. Not only are they lax with the size, they dont care how much crap you bring. Plus if you need to access a checked bag, they store them on the lower level of the coach cars right by the door so you can get to them whenever.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
  • LcheeseboyLcheeseboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Line: Sonic Line
    Name: Lcheeseboy (call me Liam)
    Boarding Stop: Bridgeport, CT
    Ticket Purchased: Yes

Lcheeseboy on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    RCars2 wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Quoted for truth. In the past I have taken a mid tower PC (in its original box with a case grip around it), a mid size carry on bag full of pc stuffs and my 22" monitor, a separate carry-on with my clothes and such, and backpack full of snacks a jacket and my laptop. Not only are they lax with the size, they dont care how much crap you bring. Plus if you need to access a checked bag, they store them on the lower level of the coach cars right by the door so you can get to them whenever.

Double quoted for truthitruthness. Once brought a large rolling suitcase, a duffelbag, two backpacks, and a laptop bag. Besides being the most ridiculous looking person trying to get on and off the train, since I had all of that stuff strapped to my body, it was fine. There was plenty of room overhead, under my seat, etc. I very rarely check bags on the train.

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • lefthandpunklefthandpunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What line you will be on: Sonic
    Name: James Henry +2 others
    Boarding Stop: 30th Street Station, Philadelphia, PA
    Ticket Purchased:
    Soon, I hope!

lefthandpunk on
  • blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i have a few questions, since ive never been on a train or to PAX how do we go about finding each other on the train, second thing is I would like to know what kind of snacks people on the Metal Gear line would like. That is all, thanks.

blAAAm!!! on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    blAAAm!!! wrote: »
    i have a few questions, since ive never been on a train or to PAX how do we go about finding each other on the train, second thing is I would like to know what kind of snacks people on the Metal Gear line would like. That is all, thanks.

I know for the Sonic Line there is a core group that literally flies a freak flag.

However, in the event that the Metal Gear line does not have its own sovereign flag, when you get on the train, look for the following:
    Improv-Everywhere-StarWars-Train.jpg
    8956748e2f8950_full.jpg

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited January 2011
    Or you could just head over to the snack car and look for the tabletop gaming.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i have a few questions, since ive never been on a train or to PAX how do we go about finding each other on the train

We'll be the geeky ones playing games in the lounge car. Probably sporting some sort of identifiable attire like a ThinkGeek or PAX shirt.

Alternately, you could go around to everyone and ask them "Enchantment?" If they respond "Enchantment!", it's probably us.
    Don't actually do that.

antherem on
  • NewspaperCraneNewspaperCrane Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to be on Luigi line toward the end, and then I'm getting on metal gear line in chicago.

We're going to be having a decently long layover time in chicago, does anyone have any plans?

NewspaperCrane on
  • BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    ...is there a plan for food yet? I will probably have some snacks on the way up, but we are getting in too late to participate in the Pre-PAX Dinner on Thursday night. Anyone up for our own semi-organized dinner+drinks?

Well, I don't know about you but my group will almost certainly be bringing flasks again. For those not on the train from DC to Boston last year, you missed out on a great party. We all occupied the back half of a train car and walked freely up and down the aisle meeting, greeting and gaming.

And this year I again plan on enjoying the spirit of the PAX Train Alliance with plenty of spirits ;-)

BigSassy on
    edited January 2011
    flatline wrote: »

I know for the Sonic Line there is a core group that literally flies a freaking flag.

I just want to confirm that the Fruit Fucker Flag will make it's triumphant return this year too. Look for us at every stop between DC and Boston :)

BigSassy on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's looking good that my husband and I will be on the Metal Gear line getting on at Buffalo. Anybody familiar with the Bufflao station? Are we likely to be able to park our car there while we're gone (I've seen that there is free parking, but is there ample free parking)? We'd be driving down from Toronto, so we need to park the car.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    edited January 2011
    It's looking good that my husband and I will be on the Metal Gear line getting on at Buffalo. Anybody familiar with the Bufflao station? Are we likely to be able to park our car there while we're gone (I've seen that there is free parking, but is there ample free parking)? We'd be driving down from Toronto, so we need to park the car.

Couple hundred spaces or so at Depew. If you get really stuck, you can park at the airport and take a cab, but that costs money.

antherem on
  • HyperJMAHyperJMA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What line you will be on: Metroid Line
    Name: Jessica & Bryan Christian
    Boarding Stop: Lynchburg, VA
    Ticket Purchased: You betcha!

Gonna be there with our Metroid Metal shirts on!

HyperJMA on
  • MalmMalm Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear Line
    Name: Nick
    Boarding Stop: Toledo, OH
    Ticket Purchased: Y

Malm on
  • BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    HyperJMA wrote: »
    What line you will be on: Metroid Line
    Name: Jessica & Bryan Christian
    Boarding Stop: Lynchburg, VA
    Ticket Purchased: You betcha!

Gonna be there with our Metroid Metal shirts on!

Hey cool someone else boarding in Lynchburg! Too bad you're taking the 20 Crescent & riding the Metroid line. I don't think its listed in the first post, but technically the Sonic Line train (176 Northeast Regional) does stop in Lynchburg as well. Just thought I'd point it out since the Sonic Line has more people on it and well, personally it would be fun to have other PAX goers boarding with me and my friends.

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
    edited January 2011
    The people on the Metroid Line get on the Sonic Line in DC. Pointing out that there's more people on Sonic is moot because they'll be on that train anyway.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DevilturnipDevilturnip Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What line you will be on: Star Fox
    Name: Spencer
    Boarding Stop: Florence, SC
    Ticket Purchased: Soon!

I'm not a forum goer, but this looks like fun! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Devilturnip on
  • DevilturnipDevilturnip Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tickets are now purchased!

Devilturnip on
    edited January 2011
    Good news everyone!

Thanks to Brian Carr (member of the fruit fucker flag crew), we've gotten a 10% discount code for anyone traveling to PAX. This code will be applicable for anyone traveling between March 8th to March 16th to Boston, MA. And if you already bought your ticket, you can call Amtrak and STILL get the discount.

NOTE: You must call 1-800-872-7245 to book your tickets or apply the discount to previously bought tickets. The code is X77F-922.

Check out these links for the official documents:

http://bit.ly/gZOapg
    http://bit.ly/dJBHBd

BigSassy on
    edited January 2011
    That is freaking AMAZING

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited January 2011
    BigSassy wrote: »
    Good news everyone!

Thanks to Brian Carr (member of the fruit fucker flag crew), we've gotten a 10% discount code for anyone traveling to PAX. This code will be applicable for anyone traveling between March 8th to March 16th to Boston, MA. And if you already bought your ticket, you can call Amtrak and STILL get the discount.

NOTE: You must call 1-800-872-7245 to book your tickets or apply the discount to previously bought tickets. The code is X77F-922.

Check out these links for the official documents:

http://bit.ly/gZOapg
    http://bit.ly/dJBHBd

Does not stack with other discounts (like the 25% on the Lake Shore Limited) but this is pretty awesome. :D

antherem on
    edited February 2011
    Damn, it's too bad we don't have more people getting on at the DC stop. If you have 75+ people boarding at one stop you can get your own private train car :shock:

BigSassy on
  • MistyOLRMistyOLR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn, it's too bad we don't have more people getting on at the DC stop. If you have 75+ people boarding at one stop you can get your own private train car :shock:

Still, with more than 40 people, it should be able to arrange for pre-boarding of the Pax East "gang", even if you still have to share the rest of the car with other people. *was in a similar "gang" situation in October and we got pre-boarded*

MistyOLR on
    edited February 2011
    MistyOLR wrote: »
    Still, with more than 40 people, it should be able to arrange for pre-boarding of the Pax East "gang", even if you still have to share the rest of the car with other people. *was in a similar "gang" situation in October and we got pre-boarded*

Oh really? How exactly does that work? Is it something that's arranged days before? Day of? Slipping a $50 to the conductor?

Tell me the process, I'm very interested :)

BigSassy on
    edited February 2011
    Oh really? How exactly does that work? Is it something that's arranged days before? Day of? Slipping a $50 to the conductor?

Tell me the process, I'm very interested :)

I'm not exactly sure how it works, because I'm not the one that arranged it. My guess would be calling the station ASAP when you have as final a number as possible would be best. WAS might do it slightly differently though, just to warn. When I did this I was traveling out of STL.

MistyOLR on
    edited February 2011
    Actually, I think I found the amtrak page:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241267371744

Group of 20 or more gets special treatment like pre-boarding. Sweet! I'm going to wait a few weeks to let a few of the stragglers officially buy their tickets. Then I'll give 'em a call and find out what can be done to group us PAX'ers together and leave room for people getting on at later stops.

Thanks man!

BigSassy on
  • BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1241267371744

Group of 20 or more gets special treatment like pre-boarding. Sweet! I'm going to wait a few weeks to let a few of the stragglers officially buy their tickets. Then I'll give 'em a call and find out what can be done to group us PAX'ers together and leave room for people getting on at later stops.

Thanks man!

My small group of 5 will be boarding pre-D.C. Does anyone think there will be an issue with us moving to the "PAX car" once you folks have all claimed it at the D.C boarding?

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
    edited February 2011

Thanks man!

My small group of 5 will be boarding pre-D.C. Does anyone think there will be an issue with us moving to the "PAX car" once you folks have all claimed it at the D.C boarding?

Unless the people (Pax East and otherwise) that are transferring from other lines at DC somehow total out to be more than a full car, odds are likely that you'll be in the same car anyway, since the final destination will be the same. If not, you should still be able to move. Just ask first to confirm that you can (in case you get someone that isn't in a mood to let you move, for whatever reason, though most on board staff should have absolutely no problem with it), and remember to move the seat ticket with you to the new seat so the new car attendant will also know where you're detraining. :)

MistyOLR on
  • Jenga!Jenga! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Darn. I've heard stories about how much fun the train is, but it looks my line isn't filling out. I didn't expect Donkey Kong to reach capacity, being so far away and all, but still! *pout*
    Well, I may fly in instead and just get more time in to see the sights and participate in other pre-pax stuff.

I'll be checking back...but if anyone is on the fence about Donkey Kong, shoot me a pm and I could easily be persuaded to change my mind :)

Jenga! on
This discussion has been closed.