As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeons] and the Keepers who love them.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Start slapping your minions...

I'll tell you when to stop.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been wanting to play Dungeon Keeper for a long time. Why can't gog or someone pick this up?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alright, this thread is now about Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 and similar titles (IMO, since the game we started on is terribly bad and not worth 40 dollars).

Was playing Dungeon Keeper 2 last night. Had some trouble with my old CD version, so I found a abandonware version with some fan patching that worked better. I think the key was their readme though. It had some suggestions for dealing with crashing and such.

On the third My Pet Dungeon. What racks up the major scores? I didn't kill a single hero in the second dungeon, but I found lots of rooms that I conquered. I am not sure, but I might have beaten it on bonuses almost alone.

I have a bonus objective to possess a creature and form a group with others. How is this done? Never did it before.

Also, those interested in Startopia (you should be!), I bought a digital copy of it a while back. Can't remember where. Might have been from Eidos though.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    I discovered this thread about 5 minutes ago and skimmed it to the last page. Probably the fastest excitement to disappointment thrill ride I've ever taken.

And now I need my fix. Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 don't run on my computer at all, but I do notice that GOG has Evil Genius for $10. How was that game in comparison? Worth a buy?

Evil Genius was kind of like DK with all the OCD and none of the fun.

are you kidding? I loved evil genius! and the fact it goes on crazy cheap sale ever 6 or so months on steam there is no reason not to pick it up. I picked it up on steam this summer for something like $1.50

also take a look at startopia, that is also an excellent game.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks to KeeperFX, DKI is more stable on my computer than DKII. I don't know how to feel about this.

BloodySloth on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is so very true. I liked it so much, I even learned how to put together a custom mission (something for which I usually lack the patience). It was pretty fun.

WotanAnubis on
  • Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    I discovered this thread about 5 minutes ago and skimmed it to the last page. Probably the fastest excitement to disappointment thrill ride I've ever taken.

And now I need my fix. Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2 don't run on my computer at all, but I do notice that GOG has Evil Genius for $10. How was that game in comparison? Worth a buy?

Evil Genius was kind of like DK with all the OCD and none of the fun.

are you kidding? I loved evil genius! and the fact it goes on crazy cheap sale ever 6 or so months on steam there is no reason not to pick it up. I picked it up on steam this summer for something like $1.50

Well the game isn´t bad but it can be really frustating sometimes. I also got it this last sale for the low, low price of $1.50. But I got to a point in the game where it seems I´m only hunting agents in order to tag them, otherwise my minions walk right past by them even if they are deep down inside my base. Really I get distracted a couple of minutes doing something else and when I see there are agents all over the entrance of my base.

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I have bought DK2 three times in my life.

I think the fourth is approaching (my third disc was lost when I moved out of home)

DK2 is, for me, what Deus Ex is to a lot of people. Anytime I think about it, even briefly, I ahve to reinstall it.

Yes Dhal... play DK2.

All you need is mooore DK2...

Sceptre on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Playing DK1 last night I remember why I never finished it as a kid. Preparing your base for hero invasion and taking on the Lord of the Land is fun. Taking on rival Dungeon Keepers is dull. Dig and dig and dig and dig along their fortified walls until you find an entrance. Then both of you throw out the 'Call to Arms' spell and chuck every monster you have into a big scrap. Woop woop. Did DK2 improve on this much?

Also my memory fails me, is there any way to deal with enemy traps other than throwing mans at them until they run out of steam? Was playing a level last night where my imps would not stop throwing themselves over and over into a couple of lightning traps and there was no real way to stop them due to lack of suitable door points.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also my memory fails me, is there any way to deal with enemy traps other than throwing mans at them until they run out of steam? Was playing a level last night where my imps would not stop throwing themselves over and over into a couple of lightning traps and there was no real way to stop them due to lack of suitable door points.

It's been a while since I've played, but IIRC you could pick up your imps (to keep them out of the way), then possess one of your long ranged creatures and blow up the trap as the creature.

But, as I said, it's been a long time since I've played the game so I may be wrong.

see317 on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    As I remember DK1 traps, the best solution was to trigger it with one creature (preferably one that could survive it), then have imps in your hand for when the trap finishes being active, then have an imp claim the square while it's in cooldown. But I can't remember if the cooldown was long enough for an imp to claim the square, it may just be you have to run them out of charges.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dragons and other monsters that can heal themselves are alright when it comes to soaking up lightning traps. Bile Demons can safely trigger poison gas traps without taking damage themselves.

Campaign levels that pit you against rival keepers usually have very obvious backdoor entrances that you can get to easily if you're willing to loop around the outside of the level instead of digging straight in. Alternatively, train up a monster up to a high level, then possess it and go wreck stuff yourself instead. Monsters get buffs to their spells and abilities when possessed, IIRC.

Skulkraken on
    edited January 2011
    Is there a "My Pet Dungeon" kind of mechanic in DK1? There's the free play maps but those seem to have enemy keepers in them. Or am I daft?

BloodySloth on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I'll always prefer DK1 to DK2 for the sole reason of having the horned reaper as a minion instead of a timed summon.

Dram on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In my current playthrough I've already got my pet L10 Warlock, so assuming I can keep finding Transfer Creature bonuses the initial research in each level will go pretty smoothly :)

I've started a more skirmish-based playstyle now I have the advantage of a high-level creature very early on. Rather than turtling for ages and then launching a full-on assault while spamming the Heal spell, I've been waiting until payday and chucking a sped-up Imp into the borders. Once I make a decent inroad, I throw up a door and keep an eye on it until the coast is clear, dropping my Warlock in if my Imps draw attention.

I've already annexed a large gold seam and the enemy's library, and I'm planning on stealing the hatchery next :twisted:

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    you should add a note in the OP warning people who dont read entire threads not to buy this game for $40

Dhalphir on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What exactly is wrong with it again? Besides not really being dungeon keeper?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dracil wrote: »

not much. The hate at the moment is mainly because it isn't Dungeon Keeper and everyone expected it to be for some reason. It's actually pretty passable and after the patch got a lot better.

That said. It isn't quite as good as DK in general.

C2B on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    C2B wrote: »

not much. The hate at the moment is mainly because it isn't Dungeon Keeper and everyone expected it to be for some reason. It's actually pretty passable and after the patch got a lot better.

They hyped it up/dressed it as Dungeon Keeper. It's not. If you set people's expectations and then do a half-assed job of things there's bound to be hate.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Did they actually say it played like DK or did we all just watch the trailer and assumed so?

Glal on
    edited February 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

They hyped it up/dressed it as Dungeon Keeper. It's not. If you set people's expectations and then do a half-assed job of things there's bound to be hate.

The whole thing with non-minions and soul energy by keeping heroes happy was out since a long time. It headed into a different direction than Dungeon Keeper and they did not lie about it nor made promises. Sorry that I can't feel too much sympathy.

Yes, they are themselves big fans of Dungeon Keeper and it was visible. Hell, they refrence it multiple times during the game. In the tutorial they have the line

"Unlike some "keepers"..."

Edit: Also its kinda funny since probably the worst offender of "not keeping promises" is actually related to DK.

C2B on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

The patch? It isn't out yet, is it?

captaink on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i've made it to the final campaign map of dk2, planning on beating it tonight, i have to say, the second to last mission is retarded.
    there are 3 princes on the map, you must capture them and torture them to join your side, here is the catch, the moment one takes damage, they will all run for the nearest portal out of the realm, if any of them escapes, you lose, if any of them die, you lose. the game is definitely not made for starting 3 battles at the same time.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited February 2011
    captaink wrote: »

The patch? It isn't out yet, is it?

I'm swiss. So I have access.

It's out since the 27th in germany.

C2B on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    I think I'll always prefer DK1 to DK2 for the sole reason of having the horned reaper as a minion instead of a timed summon.

How the heck do I summon him? Is it only possible in certain levels or what?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Evil Genius is great fun if you take it from the view of an evil genius. That is, cheat. You can get unlimited amounts of money with no penalty and without cheating before you even start the game. Get a tidy stack of cash to get you started and then you can enjoy the game strategically rather than trying to live minute to minute while dealing with super agents X, Y, and Z beating down your door.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Machismo wrote: »
    Dram wrote: »

How the heck do I summon him? Is it only possible in certain levels or what?

In DK1, I think you get them in certain levels. The last level being the one I remember. According to the wikia, you can be granted a Horned Reaper in other levels once you gain the Temple room. You need to sacrifice a Troll, a Bile Demon and a Mistress in the Temple. In return you should get a Reaper.
    In DK2, I think you needed to collect pieces of a horned reaper talisman. From memory, each piece of the talisman allows you to summon him in the early levels for 60 seconds, with no mana cost. Later when you have the entire talisman, you get a summon horny spell, which can be used as many times as you like for 100,000 mana each time.

Dram on
  • EmzedohEmzedoh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i've made it to the final campaign map of dk2, planning on beating it tonight, i have to say, the second to last mission is retarded.
    there are 3 princes on the map, you must capture them and torture them to join your side, here is the catch, the moment one takes damage, they will all run for the nearest portal out of the realm, if any of them escapes, you lose, if any of them die, you lose. the game is definitely not made for starting 3 battles at the same time.

Capture and sell the bridges between the lava islands, then take them out one by one. It's easy if you're careful.

Emzedoh on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Emzedoh wrote: »

Capture and sell the bridges between the lava islands, then take them out one by one. It's easy if you're careful.

My strat for that level was pretty simple.

1) build up base some
    2) bridge over to prince areas
    3) have imps claim shit, remove bridges behind them
    4) drop high-level creature into area, possess, break doors, kill everyone but the princes, DO NOT HARM THE PRINCES
    5) capture the fuck out of the princes once they are alone

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For anyone still interested in Dungeons (i.e., those of us who can't find their DK2 disks), Big Download has a demo.

Vi Monks on
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I feel a bit silly now for getting all excited and pre-purchasing the game. Oh well, hopefully it is a passable "Other" even though my hopes leaned towards something closer to DK goodness.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I word for a new digital distribution company/site/platform/whatever (you've never heard of us yet...) There was great disappointment in my office when we got our copy a couple weeks ago. I guess everyone but me had played dungeon keeper before and was really looking forward to it.

I hear it's kind of like a tower defense game, is it actually a decent game aside from not being like dungeon keeper? I'm not one of our QA guys so I don't get to play games before they come out :(

Cadmus on
  • JesDerJesDer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kias wrote: »
    Well, I feel a bit silly now for getting all excited and pre-purchasing the game. Oh well, hopefully it is a passable "Other" even though my hopes leaned towards something closer to DK goodness.

I feel the same way.

The problem is I am bored with all games rightnow. A new DK like game would have been a nice change.

JesDer on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cadmus wrote: »
    I word for a new digital distribution company/site/platform/whatever (you've never heard of us yet...) There was great disappointment in my office when we got our copy a couple weeks ago. I guess everyone but me had played dungeon keeper before and was really looking forward to it.

I hear it's kind of like a tower defense game, is it actually a decent game aside from not being like dungeon keeper? I'm not one of our QA guys so I don't get to play games before they come out :(

This is what I want to know. Do people who love tower defense games like it?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited February 2011
    I'll check out the demo. Let's see how this plays out.

BloodySloth on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alright, played the demo for about 30 minutes. Unless something drastically changes, the game is pretty darn meh. It's too slow paced to be fun for tower defense fans. And the camera is absolutely miserable, to a point that is inexcusable in a modern game.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just got into KeeperFX as my first foray into DK and... Where has this been all my life?? I can see where dwarf fortress took a lot of inspiration from, but this is so much more immediate and satisfying. The atmosphere is the best.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Played the demo. Not really what I'm looking for, sadly. The whole concept of feeding and caring for heroes just seems so backwards.

captaink on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    alset85 wrote: »
    So I just got into KeeperFX as my first foray into DK and... Where has this been all my life?? I can see where dwarf fortress took a lot of inspiration from, but this is so much more immediate and satisfying. The atmosphere is the best.
    What is this KeeperFX I keep hearing about?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Certainly it's not the first result if you google KeeperFX

INeedNoSalt on