As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ACAM fundraiser and PAX East

ACAM GaryACAM Gary Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in PAX Archive
Hello everyone,
The American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM) will be bringing vintage coin-op games to PAX East again this year. We look forward to seeing you at the show.

Beginning last week, ACAM kicked off a fundraising drive and would like your help seeing it become a success:

The American Classic Arcade Museum (ACAM) in Weirs Beach, NH has many projects in progress and we need your support to see them through to completion. While the museum has approximately 280 games currently available for display, we have almost as many games in storage that are in need of restoration. This includes early black & white discrete logic games from Atari, multiple conversion games for Pac-Man cabinets, and rarely seen laserdisc games such as Interstellar by Funai. ACAM would like to get these games restored so they can be enjoyed by the public. We also have several ongoing maintenance projects that need financial support.

To help meet the funding needs of these projects, ACAM is kicking off 2011 with a fundraiser. Our goal is to raise $25,000. All donations to ACAM are tax-deductible. Please make a tax-deductible contribution today and help us reach our goal so these games can be preserved for all to enjoy.

The American Classic Arcade Museum is host to the annual International Classic Video Game Tournament. The tournament will be held June 2-5, 2011. This year marks the 13th year for the event that features the best classic arcade gamers from around the globe. The museum occasionally takes some of its collection “on the road” for display at major gaming events & conventions such as the annual PAX-East convention in Boston, MA.

Started in 1998, The American Classic Arcade Museum is the first 501c3 organization dedicated to the preservation and play of vintage arcade games. The museum contains a combination of popular and obscure games from the classic days of video arcades. ACAM is located on the third floor of the immense Funspot Family Entertainment Center, which has been certified by Guinness World Records as the largest arcade in the world. ACAM has been featured in such popular films as “The King of Kong” & “Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade.” ACAM’s next appearance on film will be the upcoming “Doctor Kong.” This new documentary movie features New York plastic surgeon Hank Chien & his quest for the world record on Donkey Kong.

ACAM was recently named as one of the 33 shrines every sports fan should visit by ESPN: The Magazine. Repeatedly hailed as the "Mecca" of classic gaming by such organizations as MSNBC, Geek Out New York, The Thrillist, Joystiq, Yahoo!, and Edge Magazine. ACAM is located in Weirs Beach, NH and is open year round. Additional information and the donation link can be found on the homepage at www.ClassicArcadeMuseum.org

President, The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot
579 Endicott Street North - Laconia, NH 03246
The first 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and display of classic coin-operated amusements
http://www.ClassicArcadeMuseum.org
ACAM Gary on

• Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This was a blast last year! My friends and I holed up in the exhibit and reminisced for hours...

Malfeis on
    PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hi gary! Can I chip in at PAX, or can I only do it through the website?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yes, we will have a donation box at PAX for folks who may miss this announcement or choose to do it in person.

Thanks,
    Gary

ACAM Gary on
    The first 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and display of classic coin-operated amusements
  • Options
    ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey Gary,
    I didn't see the Tax ID on the website. Since you're a 501c3 I can do an employer match on my donation. Can you provide it?

I look forward to working with you guys again this year. Last year was a blast.

--Roman

ravemonger on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    PM sent. Thank you for supporting ACAM.

Gary :)

ACAM Gary on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Update: Three arcade game related businesses have stepped up to help our fundraiser.

This Old Game: Will be donating 10% of their February sales to the ACAM fundraiser www.ThisOldGame.com

Amusement Parts & Supply: Will be donating 10% of their February sales to the ACAM fundraiser www.VideoGameParts.com

Quarter Arcade: Will be donating 10% of their reproduction artwork sales in February to the ACAM fundraiser www.QuarterArcade.com

A big thank you to these businesses for helping the museum!

Gary

ACAM Gary on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to dump a few bucks in the donation jar at PAX probably - I hope you do well having one there. Any word on how much space or how many games you'll be bringing in tow this year?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This sounds really cool. I can see myself making a donation.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be making a donation at PAX. It's the least I can do. Can't wait to see you guys again!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love going up to ACAM and Funspot, we go several times a year. I would love to see Q*bert brought down for PAX (and available to play at the arcade for that matter.)

pureval on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sweet, that's awesome! =) I'll try to head over to you guys at PAX!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    pureval wrote: »
    I love going up to ACAM and Funspot, we go several times a year. I would love to see Q*bert brought down for PAX (and available to play at the arcade for that matter.)

My dream machine would be Popeye.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd love to get my hands on an original Star Wars arcade game. Has it been repaired, if I may ask, and if so, is it making the trip?
    And yes, I am planning on putting some cash in the box at the con. Went up to the place for a day last summer had a great time.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While I obviously have no idea what ACAM is bringing to PAX, I wanted to mention that Funspot keeps a list of their machines on their website. Some quick links: Classics, Pinballs, Non-Classic Games.

I'm really glad the ACAM is bringing a display back to PAX again. I haven't been to Funspot in about 6 years, so even just a taste of that is great.

MTSonic11 on
  • Options
    mpsmps Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We are still working on the game list. We won't have any specifics until we get closer to the show date. Needless to say, PAX-East has provided us with a much bigger room, and we will have substantially more games than we did last year.

Thank you in advance to everyone who is helping with the fundraiser.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors
    The American Classic Arcade Museum

mps on
  • Options
    WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Support Bump for Gary and ACAM. I know from personal experience (live in the Boston area) how hard Gary and his team have worked to not only bring classic arcade gaming back to PAXEast, but also to expand on what they had last year. Keep up the great work Gary!

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We will be bringing our famous Donkey Kong machine :)

ACAM Gary on
  • Options
    Osu16bitOsu16bit Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    ACAM Gary wrote: »
    We will be bringing our famous Donkey Kong machine :)

Hell yes. Any chance you'll have early 90's fighters such as Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2?

Osu16bit on
  • Options
    mpsmps Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Osu16bit wrote: »
    Hell yes. Any chance you'll have early 90's fighters such as Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2?

No. As per the charter of The American Classic Arcade Museum, we do not collect games that were released post-1987/1988. As such, we do not have any fighters. We focus strictly on the classics.

http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/mission2.htm

I would highly encourage you to stop by room 206 regardless. We will have plenty of games all on freeplay.

Mike Stulir
    Board of Directors
    The American Classic Arcade Museum

mps on
  • Options
    TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    8-bit all the way, man. I'll be sure to drop a few bucks in the donation jar/box/arcade machine-like donation box... Really, a donation box made to look like an arcade game with your logo where the game title would be and a clear glass screen to see the donations would be badass.

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mps wrote: »

No. As per the charter of The American Classic Arcade Museum, we do not collect games that were released post-1987/1988. As such, we do not have any fighters.

Street Fighter 1 was 1987!

sfus0001.png

It was also horrible, so don't take this post as a request. : )

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    mps wrote: »

No. As per the charter of The American Classic Arcade Museum, we do not collect games that were released post-1987/1988. As such, we do not have any fighters.

Street Fighter 1 was 1987!

It was also horrible, so don't take this post as a request. : )

There's always Karate Champ. There are so many great classics on their collection list that I haven't played in person in years...Popeye, DK Jr, Mania Challenge, Crystal Castles...just so many great memories of our local arcades.

If Popeye was there I'd have to take my picture with it - I clearly remember it sitting in the back of our local diner next to a KISS pinball machine.

Lindsay Lohan on