As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Killzone 3] Patches. Patches. PATCHES!

JAEFJAEF Unstoppably BaldRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
killzone3-jetpack-e3-rpe.jpg

KEEEEYAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

So Killzone 3, the third in a series of increasingly murderous zones, is out now in North America and Feb. 25th in Europe. The single player demo is out now on PSN, and you can [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z40qPShDoW0]play a minigame in Home[/vidurl] right now that gives you 3 unlock points that can be used in the retail game.

What's new in Killzone 3?
  • Campaign co-op!.. if you can afford the hooker and extra controller.
  • Waggle. [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levDGb1FY6E]30 minutes of hardcore waggle investigation![/vidurl]
  • 3D! Of course, due to the technical requirements of 3D the image quality suffers if you choose to have this on.
  • Snow and snow outfits (now with more frilly neck things)
  • [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKTF6yjCqIs]Rumble in the jungle[/vidurl]
  • Jetpaaaaaacks
  • Tighter regular controls, for those who complained KZ2's controls were too unresponsive or sluggish (haters)
  • Believable and engaging dialogue! OK I'm full of shit, but [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T09Z3voTbM]Malcom McDowell and Ray Winstone[/vidurl] are totally doing VA for this.
  • Unapologetically brutal melee kills. So brutal that sometimes you have to press the button twice!
  • Super sweet special edition goodies
  • 41.5GB of raw data on yo disc with no install required

Who's pumped? I'm pumped. Let's shoot some space nazis.

Want to join the clan?
Visit the Killzone site, log in with your PSN ID and apply! I will accept your application unless your name is JJ. Sorry JJ.

JAEF on

• SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    NOT JOHNSON, HE WAS ONLY A BOY!!!
    But what was Johnson shot for??

Uniform Violations...I shit you not...

Pretty Pumped!!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dammit. I'm PC only, and not a big shooter fan, but MALCOM MCDOWELL.

Seriously, like every VA he does in games makes my ears happy.

Astale on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Apparently launch copies of KZ3 also get you into the SOCOM4 beta. So there's that, if that's your bag. I guess.

I may seriously consider buying waggle for this game.

JAEF on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had a lot of fun with Wanghast & Co., but I won't have time in February & March for this. :(

adytum on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thank you for this shiny new K3 thread Jaef!

Might want to add Campaign Co-op to the "what's new" section. Also that the open beta starts this week :D

Any word on whether the impeding Open Beta Supports Move?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like jetpacks. I will probably buy this.

Diarmuid on
    edited January 2011
    I don't see why it wouldn't support move.

JAEF on
    edited January 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    I don't see why it wouldn't support move.

Well I know the full game supports it, just wasn't sure if they had rolled that support into the beta yet or not. Looking forward to trying that out!

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    Looking at this weapon list there are apparently proximity mines. Not sure if these will be available in multiplayer.. Goldeneye anyone?

JAEF on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Count me in the camp that really wanted to like Killzone 2, but couldn't stand the controls, so I'm really excited to see how this one turns out.

Darlan on
    edited January 2011
    Got no problems with prox mines, as long as they are detectable with careful observation.

And speak of the devil, here's a very nice video detailing how the game controls with the Move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=levDGb1FY6E

CarbonFire on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know what the deal is with Killzone 2. I couldn't hit anything, because it had no autoaim, I guess? But in the games I played (which admittedly, were few in number) everyone stood still before they started firing at me, making the game... easier? I don't know, I just couldn't work with it.

I tried playing MAG with my friend's move, but I didn't like that at all. Does Killzone 3 use the same basic control scheme?

Edit: Ooops...

glithert on
    edited January 2011
    glithert wrote: »
    I don't know what the deal is with Killzone 2. I couldn't hit anything, because it had no autoaim, I guess? But in the games I played (which admittedly, were few in number) everyone stood still before they started firing at me, making the game... easier? I don't know, I just couldn't work with it.

I tried playing MAG with my friend's move, but I didn't like that at all. Does Killzone 3 use the same basic control scheme?

Killzone 2 did have aim-assist, just less of it than the popular shooters du jour (Halo, COD). Not sure yet if K3 will have more aim assist, I guess we'll see come Feb 2nd!

CarbonFire on
    edited January 2011
    Carbon that waggle review was in the original OP. Why you gotta hate. Also doing the Home stuff right now. Looks like the "perfect score" for Wave 3 is just over a certain amount of points.

JAEF on
    edited January 2011
    Carbon that waggle review was in the original OP. Why you gotta hate. Also doing the Home stuff right now. Looks like the "perfect score" for Wave 3 is just over a certain amount of points.

Sorry, I'm at work, so I'm only skimming over things. I need pretty pictures dang it!

CarbonFire on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    glithert wrote: »

Killzone 2 did have aim-assist, just less of it than the popular shooters du jour (Halo, COD). Not sure yet if K3 will have more aim assist, I guess we'll see come Feb 2nd!
    As far as dual shock 3 controls go, they've said they're going for a more responsive feel "while also keeping the feeling of weight" to the guns, so...yeah. It sounds like it could really go either way still. At least it seems like they're not going the "eh, screw those complainers" LBP2 route.

Darlan on
    edited January 2011
    JAEF on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I believe the technical term is, "commie nazi."

manwiththemachinegun on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Space Nazis are edgier.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2011
    Totally finished the Home stuff. Took about 30 minutes or so not counting downloading home updates and all that jazz. Not bad for 3 unlock points.

JAEF on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I enjoyed KZ2 but I hated that there was no party system. Does this one have a party system?

If not, I will not be buying it.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    edited January 2011
    Grove wrote: »
    I enjoyed KZ2 but I hated that there was no party system. Does this one have a party system?

If not, I will not be buying it.

It does have a party system. No idea how good of a system it is :?

Soon we will know!

CarbonFire on
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually really liked KZ2's controls :(

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kinda sad they didn't go with Brian Cox's natural successor, Ian McShane.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited February 2011
    Beta at 10 AM tomorrow, and you can win a super special decial edition of the game by playing it Fri/Sat/Sun (20 given away per day.)

JAEF on
    edited February 2011
    Kinda sad they didn't go with Brian Cox's natural successor, Ian McShane.

While he would have also been an excellent choice, I think Malcom McDowell will do a fine job.

And the beta is tomorrow? Crap, I thought it started today :cry:

CarbonFire on
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Beta at 10 AM tomorrow, and you can win a super special decial edition of the game by playing it Fri/Sat/Sun (20 given away per day.)

Ooh man i'm gonna be playing this beta so much. Can't wait.

kyleh613 on
    edited February 2011
    They delayed it a day. I caved in and got a move and navigation controller, gonna try this shit out.

JAEF on
    edited February 2011
    They delayed it a day. I caved in and got a move and navigation controller, gonna try this shit out.

I still need to get a nav controller (and a second Move wand for that matter, want to co-op some DS: Extraction with my Roommate later). If it works well for KZ3 even using the Move and DS3 for movement, I'll be picking up a motion controller post haste.

and if it does work well enough for me to consider actually regularly using it, I'll probably get the SMG "attachment" as well :?

CarbonFire on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The beta is 10am pst, so 2pm here on the east coast. I'm getting kind of burnt out with Black Ops. I hope this is good. I tried the killzone 2 demo and really didn't like the controls. Something felt off, I couldn't hit anything I was shooting at.

DouglasDanger on
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The beta is 10am pst, so 2pm here on the east coast. I'm getting kind of burnt out with Black Ops. I hope this is good. I tried the killzone 2 demo and really didn't like the controls. Something felt off, I couldn't hit anything I was shooting at.

i feel that the gun/character weight of kz2 is satisfying once you get used to it. coming from black ops and bf:bc2 it is definitely different. i have recently started a new game in anticipation for kz3 and am loving it. i also fired up multiplayer for the first time today (after more than a year of owning it) and found that the dynamic game type is quite fun! i say give it another try!

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
    edited February 2011
    I tried the killzone 2 demo and really didn't like the controls. Something felt off, I couldn't hit anything I was shooting at.
    You aren't a floating weightless Quake-style gun in KZ2. Some people can't deal.

I've been fucking around with demos of all the Move games on PSN, it feels really tight and accurate. Really hope the open beta supports it so I can try it out.

JAEF on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't have an overall problem with the control settings as it were with KZ2.

I've not got the best of reactions, so playing an fps where I don't die incredibly quickly / instantly from across a map due to some person who just went ironsights and hit me in the head, was quite refreshing in a way.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I tried the killzone 2 demo and really didn't like the controls. Something felt off, I couldn't hit anything I was shooting at.
    You aren't a floating weightless Quake-style gun in KZ2. Some people can't deal.

I've been fucking around with demos of all the Move games on PSN, it feels really tight and accurate. Really hope the open beta supports it so I can try it out.

It does support move but I'm really not feeling it, maybe I need more calibration fiddling. The worst thing is they have gone for melee by flicking your wrist, this also makes you look all over the place and rarely melee your target.

I've been playing infiltrator and prefer up close, shotguns etc so maybe it would play better as a rifle/sniper type guy.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm talking about the kz2 demo. I wasn't impressed with it. It looked good, and sounded good, but its controls felt off somehow. I don't have the cash to buy some game that might not be fun.

And now kz3 beta drops today.

DouglasDanger on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That dipshit sidekick in Killzone 2 should have choked the shit out of the evil old man, but nooooooooo. Gaah.

It also took me a while to get used to Killzone 2's controls. A good trick is to fire from the hip more often. A big reversal from Call of Duty.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited February 2011
    Apparently beta download is already up for Euro regions.

JAEF on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wanted to like Killzone 2 so bad but ehhh.

I have high hopes for KZ3 based on developer interviews and such. Just blew some Amazon credit on it and looking forward to the demo errrr.. beta today.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah it's been up about 7 hours. When you login you get a region select so there is no reason why people can't download it on a euro account.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited February 2011
    Adda wrote: »

Yeah it's been up about 7 hours. When you login you get a region select so there is no reason why people can't download it on a euro account.

Gah, If I would have known that, I would have started the download before I went to work. Bollocks.

CarbonFire on