As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tell me how to paint my giant Cock please.

MeditronMeditron Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hello!

Not really sure where to start. I never show people what I draw so this is a weird venue for me. BUT, I would love to get to the point where when i draw it doesn't look like projectile vomit. I hadn't drawn anything seriously in like 4 years but a few days ago I got on a kick for sketching and now it's becoming a 16 hour a day thing.

THE POINT BEING, please help me? I have never taken an art class before so I am all sorts of bad. WHAT THE FUCKING IS COMPOSITION. Joking aside, I used to browse these forums and they were always helpful to the scrubs like me. I would like to get into digital painting but I just don't seem to get it or something.

Couldn't think of anything to draw so I drew my wow character.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/meditron/relmline-1.jpg

And then my sloppy ass wasted 4 hours trying to paint this.

relmnw.jpg

I have a done a lot more to that one but it's all basic color schemes and stuff nothing that looks past dark blotches.

Then my friend is a badass so i started drawing her a couple for fun.

jeninotone.jpg

So thats what I made in the last couple of days.

Using painter sai / intous 3 wacom - also have photoshop, just messing with sai cause I don't know what would be better for painting digitial stuffs.

Any tips or tutorials that you think could be helpful would be like cookies for breakfast. THANKS

Meditron on

• pineappleherbpineappleherb Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i really think that second ones got a lot of potential, keep working on it and dont add detail too quickly. its a good start for somethin good :)

pineappleherb on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Our big list of tutorials is here http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=105734 I would recommend this one for starting to paint. Jumping into detail is very tempting but tends to make things difficult, you want to work around your image and not focus in on one little area for too long.

Iruka on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    make ctrl+1 your favorite hotkey

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • MeditronMeditron Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I spent a couple hours working on this one. Tried following advice of putting in detail slowly. I still have a lot to do on it, just barley blocked in the shirt and the hand looks like it got between a fatman and a cheese sandwich.
    ugh.png
    ^ click for eye sore

Just tell me it's normal to be frustrated at the start when all your pictures look shitty haha.

@iruka - Both links went to the same thread but I went through the painting ones I could find on there.

@Rankenphile - I have been trying to figure out what ctrl+1 means sir so far it seems to be doing nothing.

Meditron on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Your underlying drawing of the girl's face was really nice, but the hand is not half as strong. Might want to iron out the structural issues there before proceeding with colors, but about them colors: your color choices are a big part of your current frustration with painting, I think. Looks like you're just going darker/lighter with no variance at all in hue, which makes humans in particular look pretty lifeless.

I bet the specific tut Iruka was trying to link was this one.

Welcome, BTW! :D

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited January 2011
    whoops, copy paste fail, thanks squid thats the one.

Its pretty normal to be frustrated with a drawing in the middle, and alot of painting go through a stage where they look like hell. Sometimes you let it rest, sometimes you power through. For more links, here are some of mod AOBs tips in blog form:
    http://art-anecdotally.blogspot.com/2010/12/kevin-oneill-part-1-painting-and-light.html

Painting has alot of things going on at once, You are trying to understand form, light, texture, color... so don't get discouraged if one painting isnt coming together. You might want to try breaking stuff down to study, like paint in grayscale to focus on light, then move onto color, do some drawing to focus on anatomy, and so on.

Iruka on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    in photoshop, ctrl+1 is the hotkey to zoom out to 100%

it keeps you from spending too long looking at tiny details when the rest of the image may not be tied down

its one of my biggest problems, and integrating ctrl+1 into my workflow is helping a lot

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2011
    If you have a second monitor, Window->Arrange->Open New window for "document_title" will give you a duplicate window you can leave as full view and look at wile you're zoomed in. learned that from gibs

Iruka on
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Squid that seems like it. Wow, so I have read through that guide 3 times now. So many good things to know. I am going to start working on lighting. Sad as it sounds, I had no idea that when color was reflected that it was adding into the skin tone(or what ever it was hitting). You were absolutly right when you said I was just using different shades of the same color. Tis what I get for trying to run before learning to walk.

I also was hoping someone could tell me if the wow character looks ok (line art I know the paint needs work) as far as line art and all that. I am not strong at drawing either really so help with that could be neat too.

Sounds like I need to stop fooling around in SAI and get back to PS for hotkey / monitor support.

I have noticed that my setup might be bad. I am running my main monitor as a 52 inch tv and then a 30 inch monitor on each side of that. The thing I have been noticing is the color looks different from one monitor to another. Does someone have suggestions on adjusting color for my monitors/tv so I don't end up with odd color ?

Ikura saw your brock samson on DA so I will listen to anything you have to say ever.

Meditron on
    edited February 2011
    I am trying to study how this works and came across a snag.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/meditron/balls.png

In the last row, it has a red light source and is hitting a blue and yellow surface. I mixed the colors together and then added the ball color into that for the final color choice. Is that wrong? Do the reflective colors not mix? If not, does the surface absorb some of the red light and push out an even different color?

Meditron on
  • UrsangusUrsangus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    If you have a second monitor, Window->Arrange->Open New window for "document_title" will give you a duplicate window you can leave as full view and look at wile you're zoomed in. learned that from gibs
    Amazing link. Very handy for learning PS painters.

Ursangus on
    I-beams need lovin' too!