As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pur sink filter indicator light

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
What dark magic powers it? Has anyone taken one apart to find out?

MKR on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Q. How long do the filters last?
    A. Faucet Mount - 100 gallons (approximately 2 to 3 months). Countertop - 200 gallons (approximately 4 to 6 months). Undersink - 200 gallons (approximately 4 to 6 months). Q. How do I know when to change the faucet mount, countertop and undersink filters?
    A. All of PUR's water filters have The Automatic Safety Monitorª Gauge (ASM¨) technology which monitors filter usage. Once the red bar appears in the ASM window on the faucet mount, countertop and undersink models, the filtered water will slow or completely shut off, indicating filter cartridge replacement is needed. See Demo.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    :?

Did you read the question? I wasn't asking what the light indicated.

There's a light. There's no clear power source. I'm curious if someone has wasted some cash to pull one apart and find out.

MKR on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you're talking about this thing

purstore_2133_3988104

then the meter is powered by the very water it is entrusted to protect. There are gears inside it that are turned and after a certain amount of gallons have passed through, the indicator will move.

Essentially, it's not telling you the filter has to be replaced, it's just saying lots of water has passed through and that it might be time to change the filter.

Other models with a light source are also powered by tiny gears via water flow.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MKR wrote: »
    :?

Did you read the question? I wasn't asking what the light indicated.

There's a light. There's no clear power source. I'm curious if someone has wasted some cash to pull one apart and find out.

I read it, and if you bother to read the description, one can infer there's a non-powered gear mechanism inside that will eventually trigger the red bar after so much water has passed through.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone taken one apart to find out?

I can infer just fine. I wanted something more solid.

MKR on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Don't be dicks.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It probably is a good idea to change it though, when the indicator comes on. The "activated charcoal" that most of those filters use is just a powder made of carbon with a very, very high surface to mass ratio. Basically it looks like a bunch of crevasses, and they fill up with whatever stuff is in the water before the filter. When all those little cracks get filled up, it can't filter effectively anymore.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I want an iFixit-esque teardown of a sink filter with the light.

I want to see the generator.

I want to caress it with my eyes.

MKR on
  • Options
    MuncieMuncie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In the previous model it used a mechanical indicator. Over time the indicator would move according to the turbine mentioned before. You when put in a new filter a spring reset is pressed on the indicator. It was all mechanical. U.S. Patent No. 5,928,504.

The new ones use an LED indicator, rather than the mechanical one. Each faucet unit contains an irreplaceable battery with a estimated lifespan of 5 year, according to shady websites that tell people how to fix stuff and or give their computers viruses. Apparently this information is in a box insert.

Edit: If you call them you might be able to get the patent number for the new indicator light. Maybe not, though: that's going to be a left-field question.

Muncie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The box has probably already been tossed. :(

Can you PM a link to this shady website? Better not to link it here and grant them link juice.

MKR on
  • Options
    MuncieMuncie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually I found this article on a site with a .ico logo. Can't be all bad, right?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/09/pur_filter.php

Muncie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Looks ok from here

It's also a Discovery Networks site. :rotate:

Now I'm wondering where they got their info. :?

MKR on