As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medical help: skin condition.

NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to have to go to the doctor eventually. I just want to know what it is, and how urgent this is and whether I should call in sick for half a day to visit a family doctor or leave it till Saturday.

skincondition.jpg

It started a few days ago but back then it's just a small spot. It itches when I scratch it but tonight when I got back home It start to burn and it spread to what the pic looks like now. The skin in the infected area feels bumpy, flimsy, and very dry along the outer edges.

714353-1.png
Nylonathetep on

• Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If it's burning and spreading go to a doctor ASAP, don't wait almost a week.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    That picture is kind of close up to be useful, but yes. If it is spreading before your eyes, go to the doctor sooner rather than later.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not to be an alarmist, but there are rushes that can kill you. Stevens-Johnson syndrome being one. If you have a fast spreading rash that burn you should get to a doctor ASAP.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If it is working out in a ring where the border is raised and the center is raw/old skin gone, that is normally fungal, if the entire thing is bumpy/flat and it really hurts like a bitch/itches/burns it is possible it can be an allergic skin response, like poison oak, or something more serious like Staph.

Get to urgent care just to be safe.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do the edges of the rash feel slightly raised, in addition to being dry? In that case it could be a fungal infection (some forms of which are called "ringworm"). I've had one of those on my cheek (apparently I caught it from a dog); it certainly burned, and it spread extremely fast until I got topical medicine for it.

Or, based on the picture and your description it could be harmless atopic dermatitis, which can appear really fast (particularly if it's a side effect to a medication; are you on any medication?). Do a google image search to see pictures of varying levels of severity (some of them are slightly NSFW).

Then again, the picture isn't very clear so it's anybody's guess really. Since the rash is painful/burning, I'd have a doctor have a look at it asap just to be safe.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FLESH EATING BACTERIA!!!

Probably not, but IANAD, and you should go see one.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Get to the doctor. Out of curiosity, where on your body is it?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Update: Went to a walkin clinic near my workplace and got it checked out. Got the medication to take care of it. Thanks you everyone for your help and concern.

Ceres: I'm sorry baby about last night. BTW it's contagious.:winky::winky::winky:

I kid I kid lol :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

P.S you can lock up the thread now :>

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    CherryCherry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Out of curiosity what did it end up being? Fungal?

If you don't want to say that's okay too.

Cherry on
This discussion has been closed.