As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    I just want Superman to interact with other characters again

and not just Batman or The Flash showing up to tell him he's dumb for walking around

Garlic Bread on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Doomsday's Eye Bones are so dumb.

MastaP on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty okay with his design - except for the green trunks & boots. They go through all this effort to make a monster and then they put him in sensible wrestling trunks. I can't stop thinking about how ridiculous that is every time he shows up.

Lux on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What do you have against the shorts?

Do you want to see his bone-y doomsday dong?

Silver_Mage on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd rather him just have pants and bare feet

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Judging from those skin-tight shorts, I don't think his dong is much of an issue.

Tairu on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It just looks way too human. There are other ways to cover monster junk. It's like fin fang foom's purple shorts, except they haven't reached that level of self-parody yet.

They're trying to make it look cooler with a techno-looking ringer design but nope sorry still looks like a pro wrestler.

Lux on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That cover is also lacking Power Girl. Isn't she an official part of the Super family now?

Speaking of which, I just recently started reading the Supergirl trades. I've heard that the Sterling Gates Supergirl stuff is really good, but I wanted to start from the beginning and work my way up to it.

In the pre Infinite Crisis issues, Power Girl seems to not know the source of her powers. Isn't she basically the same exact person as Kara Zor El, only from Earth 2 or something? Isn't Power Girl's name Kara Zor-L?

Lucascraft on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Power Girl has better thing to do than mess around with Doomsday

Solar on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In the pre Infinite Crisis issues, Power Girl seems to not know the source of her powers. Isn't she basically the same exact person as Kara Zor El, only from Earth 2 or something? Isn't Power Girl's name Kara Zor-L?

Yes

But post Crisis on Infinite Earths, she "found out" that she was a descendant of Arion, a sorcerer from Ancient Atlantis and she was frozen in suspended animation for millennia.

then later she meets Arion who tells her thats not true

then Infinite Crisis brought back the multiverse and made it clear that she's from Earth 2

Garlic Bread on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Except that she's not from the 'new' Earth 2 (which has it's own PeeGee), she's from the old Earth 2 even though kryptonite from the new Earth 2 will actually affect her. Or at least, that's how Thy Kingdom Come left it.

Wildcat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lucascraft you're in for some bad stories if you go from the beginning of Supergirl to Sterling Gates' run. There were some ok Joe Kelly stories around the teen numbers and a nice Amanda Conner issue, but Kelly Puckett's run is really really bad. Think a notch or two above JMS' Grounded story. It's not even the stories so much as there being changes to Supergirl with every writer and it being flipped in a few months time. And James Robinson is basically doing the same thing in JLA now after Sterling Gates fixed everything in one issue.

TexiKen on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The first dozen issues of Supergirl are horrible. She was just so very Mary Sue-ish.
    The writers needed to introduce her to the DCU and build her up as a force to be reckoned with, so she went around beating up other superheroes. Usually as a misunderstanding, but still. She didn't have a rogues gallery of her own. Her stories didn't involve fighting crime or evil or whatever. It was just her meeting other heroes and eventually fighting them. And winning.

Time has given me some perspective, but I absolutely hated the character for a long time. She had a powerset and an origin story, and nothing else. She didn't have a personality. She wasn't even remotely interesting. Meanwhile, she was forced into every other DCU (team) book, disrupting ongoing stories to show her beating up the good guys.

The question on our minds was: Why? Why does she exist?!

And what happened to Linda Danvers? We liked her.

There was also some indication that she was evil or something. They played with that for a while, with very little impact. No one cared about her and her fight with inner darkness because she wasn't established as a character yet.

Anyway, she had a good run on Legion of Super-Heroes. The threeboot version. And her Silver Age version was fun in PAD's Supergirl. It would have been great if editorial just brought back this Supergirl, instead of trying to make her conflicted and angsty and whatever.

TeaSpoon on
    edited February 2011
    After much googling, I found the fragments I was looking for. Silver Age Kara Zor-El.
    2csi2de.jpg
    3450sbo.jpg
    2am1di.jpg
    9h4b36.jpg
    fnxpu0.jpg
    mkdxcn.jpg
    Story/Trade Title: "Many Happy Returns"

Source: Supergirl vol.4 #76
    Writer: Peter A. David
    Penciller: Ed Benes
    Inker: Alex Lei
    Date: January 2003

via: http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000220612&tstart=90&start=15

TeaSpoon on
    edited February 2011
    Ed Benes please go back to that art style, it's simpler but so much better than his current stuff.

Count me in for also being a fan of Supergirl and the threeboot Legion. Updated the whole connection to Superman without being boring or a retread, and helped Supergirl be likable during a time when she was being pushed as "even stronger than Superman!" But then the silver age bigwigs at took over again and we had to connect the Legion back to Superboy.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    i couldn't even tell that's Ed Benes' pencils

Garlic Bread on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    The first dozen issues of Supergirl are horrible. She was just so very Mary Sue-ish.

The writers needed to introduce her to the DCU and build her up as a force to be reckoned with, so she went around beating up other superheroes. Usually as a misunderstanding, but still. She didn't have a rogues gallery of her own. Her stories didn't involve fighting crime or evil or whatever. It was just her meeting other heroes and eventually fighting them. And winning.

Yeah, I finished the first trade which was the Loeb arc. After reading it, I felt like I had read Red Hulk v. 1.0. I mean, Loeb threw everything and the kitchen sink at her and she whupped it all. She was faster than the Flash. She was able to steal John Stewart's power ring and slap him around with a construct.

And then at the end, the way he passed it all off was with a wave of his hand and Superman said "We were all restraining ourselves cause we know our limits. You don't know your limits yet."

Lucascraft on
    edited February 2011
    You know, this is the first time I noticed. Ed Benes cleverly avoided showing Silver Age Supergirl's underwear when she was doing the handstand. And also, Superboy's junk is hidden in shadow.

TeaSpoon on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's hilarious about that scene is a quip about "you obviously both think the other's cute" when the two girls look exactly the same.

Langly on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I liked that PAD run on Supergirl. I thought Linda Danvers was a fun character. It was pretty solid the whole way through, though the constant tie-ins to events going on at the time did get kind of annoying.

Zaylenz on
    edited February 2011
    The new issue of Superman was actually... really good.
    It had a very All-Star Superman feel to it, actually.

Tairu on
    edited February 2011
    is Roberson going the route of
    Superman's been messed with mentally this whole time?

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    is Roberson going the route of
    Superman's been messed with mentally this whole time?
    A combination of his being depressed because of New Krypton and some outside force maintaining that depression.

Tairu on
  • OolongOolong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    More of a question than a spoiler, but in Superman 708:
    Why doesn't Superman recognize Wonder Woman? I know she got a new costume recently but c'mon. Was there a complete reboot recently and I missed it somehow? (Note that it's entirely possible that the answer is yes; I don't read hardly any DC superheroes other than this book.)

Please help, thanks.

Oolong on
    edited February 2011
    Oolong wrote: »
    Why doesn't Superman recognize Wonder Woman? I know she got a new costume recently but c'mon. Was there a complete reboot recently and I missed it somehow? (Note that it's entirely possible that the answer is yes; I don't read hardly any DC superheroes other than this book.)

Please help, thanks.

Wonder Woman's costume came with an entire reboot, yeah. Her backstory is changed and everything.

Tairu on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    Oolong wrote: »

Please help, thanks.

Wonder Woman's costume came with an entire reboot, yeah. Her backstory is changed and everything.
    I liked how they haven't kept the temporary reboot to just her title. The end of Barry Allen's first story after Blackest Night uses her as an example of how something's wrong with time and JL: Generation Lost also involves her as Maxwell Lord tries to find her only to find out that almost everyone has forgotten her like he made the world forget him and that her being killed by Lord is (at least part of) what messes up the future if the JLI don't stop him.

Owenashi on
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    Except for the art, which I dislike more and more with each issue

The "Go" splash page is just really bad

Garlic Bread on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree Keith.

What is with this guy and faces?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, Kid Flash looks like Ragdoll, especially in the splash page.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    Kenneth Rocafort is the new Action Comics artist

I expected Pete Woods to stay on the book for a bit, but this article says otherwise. It also looks like this Doomsday story is going to be a longer one than it originally looked like.

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is Rocafort even close to being a monthly artist? I thought that Velocity mini-series he was doing for Image/Top Cow has been delayed all to Hell.

edit: Actually, the article seems to imply he'll only be doing covers.

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    When they say "handling art duties on the series starting with Action Comics #900" it implies new artist beyond covers (to me at least, since Rocafort isn't doing an AC #900 cover). But then that quote from the editor says just covers. Blah.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    "We knew we needed really powerful covers for a story as big as ‘Reign of Doomsday'"

This bothers me more than it should

Tairu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tairu wrote: »
    "We knew we needed really powerful covers for a story as big as ‘Reign of Doomsday'"

This bothers me more than it should

I think it's one part taking themselves too seriously, and another part being completely unaware of Doomsday being terrible.

Fencingsax on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah it's kind of ridiculous that anyone thinks this is a huge event people care about.

Then again being disconnected from the fanbase has been DC's thing for quite a while!

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    Roberson interview about the homestretch of Grounded

The title to the interview was a bit misleading, making me think he would get an arc or something without being burdened with JMS' crap, but sadly no. Not even getting anything to write once Grounded ends in the DCU proper. Just confirmation that the things most people liked from past issues were his idea (Luthor stealing cakes, Superman Squad) and that it was his idea to bring in Sharif.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    Adam Hughes variant cover for Action #900:

ac_900var.jpg

That is the nicest of the three, going to pick that one up.

TexiKen on
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hughes draws men?!

=)

CJG on
    edited March 2011
    Jimmy Olsen and the new Action Comics were both fantastic today

Tairu on