Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Tactics Ogre | LuCT remake with Matsuno [PSP] NA/EU Release Confirmed! | TGS Trailer!

12346

Posts

  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No real reason to change it, it just feels odd that you get the "bad" class for being good, and the "good" classes for being bad.

    Canopus with a spear is alright. I've done that before. I think his preferred weapon is hammer, though, like the other Hawk Men. It's just that he gets really decent stat gains for doing damage with bows, and with the way ranged attacks work there are plenty of maps where you can fly him up high and hit shit way in the back rows, 1 shotting wizards and priests all day.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wow, those videos are giving me a massive FFT boner.

    I couldn't quite make it out, but do you assign skill sets, response abilities, move abilities, etc., like in FFT?

    ForceVoid on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It seems like there's a new skill system. I'm going to assume it works differently from FFT for no other reason than it always has before.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So wait, did this already come out in Japan? If so, how did it do sales wise?

    The mere prospect of a new game in the franchise would be entirely awesome.

    DozingDragon on
  • JouleJoule Registered User
    edited January 2011
    So wait, did this already come out in Japan? If so, how did it do sales wise?

    The mere prospect of a new game in the franchise would be entirely awesome.

    It did fairly well in Japan. Last time it was tracked it was around 230k~ units and it stayed in the top 50 weekly sellers for a couple weeks before dropping off.

    For comparison 3rd Birthday debuted at 140k while Tactics Ogre at 176k. I think there would be merit if SE looked into some more projects with Matsuno/Quest guys.

    Joule on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would kill for a new Ogre Battle from them.

    I still occasionally go back and replay OB64.

    Maddoc on
    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I was gonna bitch about this being a PSP release. Checked eBay instead. Scored a silver 2001 with lunar, FFT, NFS:U, resistance, Lego batman, 3 movies, and a case for $150

    Now I'm looking forward to this game. Have a copy of ogre battle 64 I've always meant to play through.

    Tommatt on
    My Bands FB Page
    111813113553.png
    Xbox GT Tommatt
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Wow, those videos are giving me a massive FFT boner.

    I couldn't quite make it out, but do you assign skill sets, response abilities, move abilities, etc., like in FFT?

    FFT is kind of a streamlined/dumbed down version of this game.

    Made by the same folks and everything.

    Sheep on
    QlBGc.jpg
  • ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh, interesting, so what depth was added?

    ForceVoid on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm curious, too. I've heard this claim before, but only from people who had a hard on for TO because they played it first, and only ever after it became cool to hate on FF. I'm not saying that's true in your case, Sheep, I've just never heard a good explanation for why TO was better except that it came first.

    Delzhand on
    Steam|FFXIV|Switch SW-3472-4893-0802
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm curious, too. I've heard this claim before, but only from people who had a hard on for TO because they played it first, and only ever after it became cool to hate on FF. I'm not saying that's true in your case, Sheep, I've just never heard a good explanation for why TO was better except that it came first.

    Larger maps, more difficult enemies, classes are determined by alignment as well as XP, the best class in the game has a pretty strict requirement for getting it, more classes instead of having just a few SUPER BADASS Win Button classes, classes are better balanced, also no TG Cid.

    Off the top of my head.

    Sheep on
    QlBGc.jpg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Oh, interesting, so what depth was added?

    What, added in FFT? Eh... no. FFT was a severely dumbed down version of TO. The only thing marginally more complex in FFT as compared to TO was the class / skill system.

    Thought: I remember trying to buy Ogre Battle back when it was new, only to discover it was $95 or something stupid. Any idea why? Was it a really big cart or something?

    KiTA on
    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Oh, interesting, so what depth was added?

    What, added in FFT? Eh... no. FFT was a severely dumbed down version of TO. The only thing marginally more complex in FFT as compared to TO was the class / skill system.

    Thought: I remember trying to buy Ogre Battle back when it was new, only to discover it was $95 or something stupid. Any idea why? Was it a really big cart or something?

    Added in this new TO game...

    ...oh, it's a remake...I see the confusion now.

    ForceVoid on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Thought: I remember trying to buy Ogre Battle back when it was new, only to discover it was $95 or something stupid. Any idea why? Was it a really big cart or something?

    Probably. I think it's one of the larger carts for sure.

    Sheep on
    QlBGc.jpg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Added in this new TO game...

    ...oh, it's a remake...I see the confusion now.

    Oh! No clue. I have heard they changed things up a bit, but I'm not sure exactly how.

    KiTA on
    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should I try to beat one or both of the Ogre Battle games before playing this one?

    Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Moon Name: Moon
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They're...well they are related but I don't think you're gonna miss out much. Sure things like Canopus, Deneb and Lans showing up in TO are awesome if you played the original OB (snes) but they don't detract that much.

    Hell, even Knight of Lodis (which is a prequel) isn't that required.

    lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Should I try to beat one or both of the Ogre Battle games before playing this one?

    They're standalone, part of a bigger arch which was never really finished.

    ... I don't think?

    Isn't it something like, OB1 is Episode 5, TO is Episode 7, and ... I have no idea where the GBA TO and OB64 fit in.


    As an aside: Hope there's a new bonus dungeon in the remake. TO's was HARD unless you abused the ressurection... thing.

    KiTA on
    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OB64 is Episode 6 and happens at the same time as TO (which is 7). KoL (GBA one) takes place before Ep 5 I think.

    lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    As an aside: Hope there's a new bonus dungeon in the remake. TO's was HARD unless you abused the ressurection... thing.

    The japanese version had free DLC quests, so I imagine there will be.

    Delzhand on
    Steam|FFXIV|Switch SW-3472-4893-0802
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm curious, too. I've heard this claim before, but only from people who had a hard on for TO because they played it first, and only ever after it became cool to hate on FF. I'm not saying that's true in your case, Sheep, I've just never heard a good explanation for why TO was better except that it came first.

    Larger maps, more difficult enemies, classes are determined by alignment as well as XP, the best class in the game has a pretty strict requirement for getting it, more classes instead of having just a few SUPER BADASS Win Button classes, classes are better balanced, also no TG Cid.

    Off the top of my head.
    Archer with warp boots was the win button class. Throw in Canopus with a bow and you're golden. Put Haborym using petrify with them and the game is just broken at that point.

    The game has a fair number of useless classes later on as well.

    Lucid on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Lucid wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm curious, too. I've heard this claim before, but only from people who had a hard on for TO because they played it first, and only ever after it became cool to hate on FF. I'm not saying that's true in your case, Sheep, I've just never heard a good explanation for why TO was better except that it came first.

    Larger maps, more difficult enemies, classes are determined by alignment as well as XP, the best class in the game has a pretty strict requirement for getting it, more classes instead of having just a few SUPER BADASS Win Button classes, classes are better balanced, also no TG Cid.

    Off the top of my head.
    Archer with warp boots was the win button class. Throw in Canopus with a bow and you're golden. Put Haborym using petrify with them and the game is just broken at that point.

    Well it's been about 15 years soooo.... :P

    Sheep on
    QlBGc.jpg
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Don't get me wrong though, I love the game. It's just not phenomenally better than FFT.

    Lucid on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If they fix archers and sped up magic that would already be enough for me to buy it twice.

    The bonus dungeon in the original was pretty easy if you knew how to win. With a few changes it would be much better.

    The chief differences in the two games that would make someone prefer one over the other are probably the narrative options available in Tactics Ogre, and the difficulty if you don't know ahead of time exactly what to abuse, versus the Final Fantasy Job system. The Tactics Ogre script was also much better and easier to read, and I'd hope they keep it that way.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What was broken about Archers?

    KiTA on
    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Best damage and range, ridiculous vitality gain (meant they were also hard to kill -- tougher than some melee classes without armour). In fact, their stat gain was so good that it was always better to train any female character who wasn't going straight support as an archer. It was sort of the same with ninjas and male classes, but ninjas had shit damage and health, so it wasn't so bad. The cross-class training is one thing that I hope they can keep in the remake.

    But it worked both ways. When the enemy had 2 or more archers with roughly the same equipment then they would move and attack in unison, meaning if they were positioned properly they could one-shot many of your vulnerable units before you had a chance to do anything. And Tactics Ogre has both instant and permanent death, without special circumstances, or resurrection spells that you can't get till half way through the game.

    It's just that the ratio of damage output to damage tanking was way out of whack when archers showed up, so that it was always better to just focus every unit down from range rather than engage it up close. And if you could ever get higher ground, ranged attacks could extend much further than normal. Some maps you can cover half or more of the entire battlefield with a couple of archers in the right position.

    Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The tarot deck will be a preorder bonus in the US.

    Bought.

    cj iwakura on
    9LlOwgn.png
    Well, good morning. Welcome to the new scenario. What should we do today?
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope the cards are decently sized. I don't really care about tarot as a concept, but I love Yoshida's art.

    Edit: Ha ha, it's easy to see why his characters usually lack noses:

    ff12-concept-balthier.jpg

    Delzhand on
    Steam|FFXIV|Switch SW-3472-4893-0802
  • JouleJoule Registered User
    edited January 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The tarot deck will be a preorder bonus in the US.

    Bought.

    Our European friends get something a little nicer but they don't get the cards.
    6723341643111858323514410191403941393181745494106860417n.jpg

    Joule on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Amazon finally has release day delivery on Tactics Ogre, if anyone hasn't preordered yet.

    Maddoc on
    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No stockings in Europe, either.

    cj iwakura on
    9LlOwgn.png
    Well, good morning. Welcome to the new scenario. What should we do today?
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wish we'd get some more info on this. I'm going crazy from the wait.

    Delzhand on
    Steam|FFXIV|Switch SW-3472-4893-0802
  • JouleJoule Registered User
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9AScgKEY9E

    New cinematic trailer.

    Just 14 days to go.

    Joule on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah...so much Lans...can't wait till the 25th!

    lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh. Release date pushed back 10 days.

    Edit: On the upside, I guess that means 10 more days of solid on my SRPG before my productivity fall down a well and dies. Although technically I'll be playing it with an eye for ideas. I've already decided I really like the unit HUD.

    Delzhand on
    Steam|FFXIV|Switch SW-3472-4893-0802
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait the 25th? How does that even work, that's a friday?

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Ugh. Release date pushed back 10 days.

    Edit: On the upside, I guess that means 10 more days of solid on my SRPG before my productivity fall down a well and dies. Although technically I'll be playing it with an eye for ideas. I've already decided I really like the unit HUD.

    Where'd you see this? Amazon is still saying the 15th

    Maddoc on
    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apparently Canadian pre-orders are not getting the tarot deck through Amazon.ca or ebgames canada. So, if Canadians want it, they have to pre-order from US amazon, and pray it gets shipped.

    Geddoe on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Did they ever confirm this game for the PSN?

    RainbowDespair on
  • JouleJoule Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Ugh. Release date pushed back 10 days.

    Edit: On the upside, I guess that means 10 more days of solid on my SRPG before my productivity fall down a well and dies. Although technically I'll be playing it with an eye for ideas. I've already decided I really like the unit HUD.

    Where'd you see this? Amazon is still saying the 15th

    Perhaps he's mistaking the EU release date with the NA one.
    Geddoe wrote:
    Apparently Canadian pre-orders are not getting the tarot deck through Amazon.ca or ebgames canada. So, if Canadians want it, they have to pre-order from US amazon, and pray it gets shipped.

    fffffffuuuuu :(

    Joule on
Sign In or Register to comment.