As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Dawn of War II: Retribution (soon-to-be-released expansion)

1585960616264»

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks Croak! Now that I have a computer capable of running the game in all it's glory I should have some more fun.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Croak wrote: »
    I seem to have put my hands on some Beta keys.

PM me, supplies are limited.

But...but... I messaged you already and you didn't respond D:

Oh you did. I am fool.

No, you are gerbil. Allowances made for gerbil.

Croak on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    THE gerbil.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there a non-steam way to get the beta?

My steam downloads are stuck at between 3 and 70 kb/s atm on a 100mbit line :/

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BANEBLADES! EVERYWHERE!

Good games tonight guys. The team Free-for-alls with Baneblades, Land Raiders and Avatars showing up was certainly... explosive.

It might just be because we were playing in-house games but I was seeing a lot more super units than I ever saw pre-beta. Was fun. Baneblade is naturally ridiculously powerful, but can still be taken down if you can surround it and pummel away with a tonne of AV.

Sentinel could definitely use a change though, it gives IG a really hefty advantage against early melee. Doesn't really take much damage from ranged fire unless you've got a setup team focussing on it, but usually it just walks up and stomps on it.

Ork Battlewagon could use some improvements, it doesn't really seem to be as useful as the other super units. The front roller can be fun, but it doesn't often get the chance to work, and doesn't really seem to crush infantry all that well from what I've seen of it so far.

Autoarch is weaker than I thought she'd be, but once she's got her shield she can tank well enough. The tradeoff being that you cant really sky-leap since your energy will probably be drained. Best used in melee but ironically I ended up using her far more for impromptu AV duty. Her call-in grenades can make for an awesome surprise attack.

In general, IG seem balanced-ish. Their base infantry does weak damage, but they're supposed to, and depend on support from other units and vehicles to make things work. So I can see why the Sentinel's a relatively powerful T1 unit. But I think it's still a bit too powerful, and could use a bit of a health nerf. I didn't see too much of the Catachans but in my (extremely limited) experience they didn't seem as bad as I thought they'd be.

EDIT: Also, minor bug report. Observers can't see what wargear people are equipping. Otherwise game didn't seem to have any noticeable problems, at least for me. At one point someone crashed out of a multiplayer game though and it seemed to be stuck on the loading screen as a result, the only way to end that was to kill the game.

subedii on
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pretty sure we have a popcap bug. I was at 75 popcap with a chimera, the lord commander, two squads of guardsmen and a manicore.

That doesnt seem right.

I was all... "Okay... baneblade time... bwaaah?"

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    TexwegianTexwegian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That wasn't a bot.

That was me trying to respond to as many IMs as I was getting. Didn't help that there was a fake [THQ] Texwegian trolling the thread, but what can you do. If you are PAX member still waiting for a key drop me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Texwegian on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, my thoughts on IG are...

a.) Sentinel is a little too effective, and seems unkillable T1 unless they screw up somehow. Think it's the result of being, well, a T1 Vehicle in most of the ways that matter: not a squad meaning that that you don't spend req/power to reinforce, just time; immune to suppression (though running straight into a setup team that's firing at it is one of those ways to screw up I talked about.) Compond with it's speed, it's 330 req that can mess with most infantry with it's stomp that you never have to spend another point on (short of upgrades) unless you lose it.

b.) Commanders seem to be the only reliable anti-vehicle when you get to T2. This is admitingly thanks to how lackluster Storm Troopers feel (admitingly, haven't tried the Heavy Weapon Squad Lascannon, but I suppect that it preforms similar to the others); never seem to be able to get them close enough with thier meltas and bombs on anyone paying attention to be effective, which pretty much leave the Commander's Anti-tank weapon (Lord General's Melta, Commisar Lord's Power fist, and the Inquisitor's non-crossbow pistol)... which isn't much of an alternative, but at least it's only 250 req to replace them :P

c.) Leman Russ is crazy expensive for what you get. Which is something between a looted tank and an unupgraded predator in survivablity. It does seem to be one of the fastest tanks there (one was able to keep away from the abovementioned Stormtroopers just by running) and the firepower is good, but not enough to justfiy this 600/200 cost, especially since...

d.) Baneblades are frakking nuts. The Battlewagon are only marginaly better than looted tanks in terms of destructive potential (outside of abilities) and might need to be looked at for the oppisite reason. The Land Raider is awesome for what it is (a moblie command center) and it's shortcommings in Anti-Vehicle are just enough to not seem unstopable without being a weaksause weakness. The Baneblade however has a main cannon ability that 1-shots unupgraded looted tanks, and a AoE that is a massive deterent to infantry assults, particulary if it decimates (modern use, not original meaning) the infantry it hits. Even if that doesn't drive you away, it takes a extremely long time or massive amount of AV to take down.

EDIT:
    Pretty sure we have a popcap bug. I was at 75 popcap with a chimera, the lord commander, two squads of guardsmen and a manicore.

That doesnt seem right.

I was all... "Okay... baneblade time... bwaaah?"

It is a bug... in that the base turrets were costing popcap. You can read it here. They are about ready to patch it, if they haven't already...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it needs more stuff, but this thread might close soon so:

New thread

I am deeply sorry

Alegis on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    particulary if it decimates (modern use, not original meaning) the infantry it hits.

Then use annihilate or destroy or one of the many other awesome words that mean the modern meaning of decimate without angering nerds yo

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png