As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Dawn of War II: Retribution - Buying DLC for the Greater Good

AlegisAlegis ImpeckableRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
WAKE UP YA GITZ! DERES A FIGHT KOMIN UPP
orkhat.jpg
GET TA LOOTIN!
2011-03-31-Bluddflagg-SMASHPANTS.jpg

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

DAWN OF WAR II

RETRIBUTION

we'z gottum sum ekspanshun 'ere fer DAWN OF WAR 2
an da good newz is ya dont have ta loot da previous 'unz! sumting 'stand-alone'

WOTS DAWN OF WAAAAAAAAAAGH?

GET DA HUMIE ERE FER EKSPLAINUN
Dawn of War II is a tactical cover-based real-time strategy game with an RPG-like campaign set in the grim&dark Warhammer 40,000 universe.
Level up your commanders, unlock new abilities, and find new wargear to customize your army to match the way you want to play.
Retribution adds the ability to build units during the campaign, which you purchase through resources. These 'new' mechanics will be mostly familiar to those who played our multiplayer or any other RTS game ever made.

Play with all 6 factions in either the single-player (or 2 player co-op) campaign, multiplayer campaign (team or free-for-all) or the co-op Last Stand mode.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

WOTS SHINY

Dem relik boyz been puttin mikkrosoft GFWL 'ead on a pole! Newell is da new boss. we's ben usin da Steam Wokks cannon fer fightin
patchin will be fasta, we got lobby chat an' kustom medulz. new fightin mapz an' Last Stand boyz!Mister_Nailbrain.jpg

Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg shaddup an show me wutz in da bokks

FAKSHUNS

HUMIES
NEW UNIT: ALL OF DEM
Lord_General_Castor.jpgInquistor_Andrastia.jpgCommisar_Lord.jpg
DEMS ONLY A LIL BIGGA DAN GRETCHINZ. but theyz got sum tankks . MANY TA KILL

Inquistor_Andrastia.jpg So Ork ... how about removing a Chaos threat over there? I will provide you with a good fight

frow in dat hat of yers an wez might fink bout itKaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg

Inquistor_Andrastia.jpg What! Certainly not!

NO HAT NO DEAL Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg

SPACE HUMIES
NEW UNIT: Land Raider Redeemer
Space_Marine.jpgTechmarine_Martellus.jpgThe_Ancient.jpg
DEMS TUFFER 'UMIES. Deys got som new trukk to hide in but well blow it upps!
Apollo_Diomedes.jpg You vile Ork scum are but a minor distraction in my quest to find the truth and redeem my Chapter.
SOD OFF Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg

SMELLDAR
NEW UNIT: Autarch
Autarch_Kayleth.jpgRonahn.jpgVeldoran.jpgElenwe.jpg
PONCY ELVES. Wez can send alf da boyz 'ome. Deyz fast but DAKKA is fastah!

Autarch_Kayleth.jpg These primitives still have their role to play to prevent the imminent destruction of these worlds.

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA dakka.jpg

CHAOS
NEW UNIT: Chaos Noise Marines
Lord_Eliphas.jpgNeroth.jpgPlague_Champion_Varius.jpgnoisem.jpg

Spookums.jpg KAPPTIN! I seez dem noyz boyz!!!

GOOD! I NEEDS ME'Z SUM SPIKEY BITZ Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg

BUGZ
NEW UNIT: Swarmlord
Tyranid.jpglictor.jpgrav.jpg
tankb.jpgUM KAPTIN ... DEY AIN GOT NO TEEF
AN DIS UNZ ALL SPIKEY
LEG IT! stikk.jpg
Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg ILL STOMP EM YA PUNY SQUIG 'EADZ AN STOMP YER 'EAD IN

ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ ORKZ
NEW UNIT: Battlewagon
Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpgSpookums.jpgMister_Nailbrain.jpgBrikkfist.jpg
DA BOYZ! ORKZ IS DA MEENEST AN BESTEST. We'z got em sneekie boy SPOOKUMS, Nailbrains da mekk, Brikkfist is da flyin 'oone
an' IM DA BIG BOSS!

NOW GET TA LOOTIN

YUSHFUL STUFF:

Alegis on

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay new thread!

SJ on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Love the new thread.

anyway, from the last one:
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Well, my thoughts on IG are...

a.) Sentinel is a little too effective, and seems unkillable T1 unless they screw up somehow. Think it's the result of being, well, a T1 Vehicle in most of the ways that matter: not a squad meaning that that you don't spend req/power to reinforce, just time; immune to suppression (though running straight into a setup team that's firing at it is one of those ways to screw up I talked about.) Compond with it's speed, it's 330 req that can mess with most infantry with it's stomp that you never have to spend another point on (short of upgrades) unless you lose it.

b.) Commanders seem to be the only reliable anti-vehicle when you get to T2. This is admitingly thanks to how lackluster Storm Troopers feel (admitingly, haven't tried the Heavy Weapon Squad Lascannon, but I suppect that it preforms similar to the others); never seem to be able to get them close enough with thier meltas and bombs on anyone paying attention to be effective, which pretty much leave the Commander's Anti-tank weapon (Lord General's Melta, Commisar Lord's Power fist, and the Inquisitor's non-crossbow pistol)... which isn't much of an alternative, but at least it's only 250 req to replace them :P

c.) Leman Russ is crazy expensive for what you get. Which is something between a looted tank and an unupgraded predator in survivablity. It does seem to be one of the fastest tanks there (one was able to keep away from the abovementioned Stormtroopers just by running) and the firepower is good, but not enough to justfiy this 600/200 cost, especially since...

d.) Baneblades are frakking nuts. The Battlewagon are only marginaly better than looted tanks in terms of destructive potential (outside of abilities) and might need to be looked at for the oppisite reason. The Land Raider is awesome for what it is (a moblie command center) and it's shortcommings in Anti-Vehicle are just enough to not seem unstopable without being a weaksause weakness. The Baneblade however has a main cannon ability that 1-shots unupgraded looted tanks, and a AoE that is a massive deterent to infantry assults, particulary if it decimates (modern use, not original meaning) the infantry it hits. Even if that doesn't drive you away, it takes a extremely long time or massive amount of AV to take down.

EDIT:
    Pretty sure we have a popcap bug. I was at 75 popcap with a chimera, the lord commander, two squads of guardsmen and a manicore.

That doesnt seem right.

I was all... "Okay... baneblade time... bwaaah?"

It is a bug... in that the base turrets were costing popcap. combined the fact most of the new maps have 3 of them and now your down 15 points before makng anyhing. You can read it here. They are about ready to patch it, if they haven't already...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, pulling this back in advent of actually having Chaos stuff to play with (Noise Marine *squee*) sithspawn2k on Steam if anyone wants to krump a scrub.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pancake wrote: »

Sadly, Vannila Ice has be replaced by unhelmeted Space Marine #2904768 as the multiplayer FC model... even for the SM loading screen. :(

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He can never truly be replaced.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pancake are you rejoining us for the expansion to play your eldar space fairies

Does anybody know if there's a way I can download the beta without using the steam downloader? My steam refuses to download at over 10 kb/s at the moment, and it's not something I can fix (it's a generalised problem in the SEA area apaprently).

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need a beta key for an iconic member of the community who is sadly no longer with us.

CanisAquilus on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder which one that would be...

TheGerbil on
    edited February 2011
    CanisAquilus on
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh snap. I didn't realize he was super ultra mega banned. Wonder what he did that time?

Anyhow the turrets taking up popcap at the start is indeed sad for Guard, but luckily it should be fixed soon.

TheGerbil on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mmmmm fresh thread. I think I may buy up this month.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are they contributing to upkeep as well?

Guard upkeep is such murder. I figured that was probably one of the weaknesses of the faction but...

It's good to play some DoW again.

I'm still out on the sentinel. Properly mirco'd it can be a nightmare to take down. Decapping is very powerful, due to the way that manpowers build up to their maximum potential over time. Their natural speed and agility makes them very powerful harassment. I imagine IG will be a nightmare to face in 1v1s.

IG Tier 2 is pretty bad though. Reminds me of old Ork T2. Chimeras are the only thing that seems really good to pick up, and a must have. Ogyrns are wonderful, but they might suffer from old Nob syndrome: expensive and powerful. Their speed makes them hard to control though.

Corp.Shephard on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Sadly, Vannila Ice has be replaced by unhelmeted Space Marine #2904768 as the multiplayer FC model... even for the SM loading screen. :(

That's captain Diomedes.

SJ on
    edited February 2011
    Texwegian.

Key good sir.

CanisAquilus on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder what the Guardsman flashlight damage is against heavy armour.

They seemed very strong against any TSM squads I sent against them. Though it may be just because IG seems to like blobbing, which is tough for SM to take out until they can afford to field some ASM and Devs along with their TSM.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    Ok, pulling this back in advent of actually having Chaos stuff to play with (Noise Marine *squee*) sithspawn2k on Steam if anyone wants to krump a scrub.

Steam cannot find that username when I tried to add you to my friends.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't done it yet, but apparently when you put the Commissar Lord in a Chimera...
    vqi07b.png
    He says it!

Lord_Mordja on
    edited February 2011
    Matev wrote: »

Steam cannot find that username when I tried to add you to my friends.

How distressing, trying matev7. Everytime I think I've got this thing figured out...

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I haven't done it yet, but apparently when you put the Commissar Lord in a Chimera...

picture!

He says it!

I was pretty surprised myself. I was playing around earlier and I had to stop and laugh when I heard that.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I cannot believe i kinda like that gay little song.

hadoken on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Enjoying the beta so far. Really digging the guard but haven't had a chance to use the baneblade yet.

Steam: Evigilant

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Only tried a custom game (on lowest of low)

doesn't seem like the manticore rockets/Commissar's artillery ability harm buildings at all (unless the base turrets have some specific sort of protection, they took no damage)

Alegis on
  • CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need a beta key for an iconic member of the community who is sadly no longer with us.

Just tell Goomba to mail me.

Croak on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Iblis wrote: »

picture!

He says it!

I was pretty surprised myself. I was playing around earlier and I had to stop and laugh when I heard that.

I wish the commissar and the general were swapped. I love the commissar so much but the general is just way more useful in every way.

That is pretty cool though. IG also go "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!" when you upgrade them. So many references in this expansion.

All in all I like the IG but they seem so useless against space marines and eldar. Nothing they have does a damn thing till t2 and by then it's far too late. If the catchan dudes weren't so expensive then maybe..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    so far vs the imperial guard my ork strategies seem to be either a. die or, if i'm extremely crafty b. run around a little bit then die

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited February 2011
    Hrm, looking to test my spiky marines on here, if my lappy will let me, I think I've finally reached it's surprising limits for gaming...

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    IG seems like it will be beastly for people who are good at micro-managing; Sadly I am not one of those people. It does have some really unique stuff in there which makes me cross my fingers for at least one more DoWII expansion...I need my Tau!
    Beta 3.3 fixes

* The Lord Commissar’s Inspire Terror no longer instantly kills squad members. It now does 300 damage to an entity. Tooltip revised.
    * Imperial Guard base turrets no longer contribute 5 population to the upkeep of the IG army
    * Fixed an issue that could cause users to be awarded 3000 skill rating after a single game

Darn it, purely from a "oooh cool!" perspective I like the current Inspire Terror.
    Oh hot damn, I might just fall for IG after all. I've enjoyed the few games I've played with them against the PC but felt there population was all kinds of limiting.

Accualt on
  • CritterCritter Semi-good lookin' Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone with a spare beta key feeling generous?

Critter on
    edited February 2011
    so far vs the imperial guard my ork strategies seem to be either a. die or, if i'm extremely crafty b. run around a little bit then die

Build shootas, not sluggas, get bigshootas fast.

The sentinal is a very strong early game melee counter.

CanisAquilus on
    edited February 2011
    Critter wrote: »
    Anyone with a spare beta key feeling generous?

send texwegian or croak a PM
    and ask nicely!

Alegis on
    edited February 2011

Build shootas, not sluggas, get bigshootas fast.

The sentinal is a very strong early game melee counter.

I dunno about that ig aren't good at all in melee so if you get them in they are pretty much boned with out the more expensive units. A couple sentinels aren't enough to stop a melee assault with the single ability they have.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2011
    Sentinels are the perfect melee counter.

Faster than any melee unit by far, pretty resistant to anything but focused fire, and their stun-stomp does great damage and incredible disruption.

A couple sentinels could take on a huge number of boys.

Corp.Shephard on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Got my beta key today! Played only one skirmish game against Easy AI (as while I own DoW2 and CR, I've never played competitively online), and really enjoyed it! My mindset is so used to Starcraft that I have to get the whole "macro is 400% more important than micro" mentality in check :lol:

Any basic, general advice for an online DoW newbie?

Kami on
    edited February 2011

Faster than any melee unit by far, pretty resistant to anything but focused fire, and their stun-stomp does great damage and incredible disruption.

Well the problem is that if you have other units then they will get swarmed while the sentinel runs around. It's a real pain with the guardians since there are so many of them that they get bogged down trying to get away from melee units before they close in.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
    edited February 2011
    I've gotta disagree. Not many tier one units have the durability to survive a 3-4 second stun. That slugga squad only has as much health as you do, probably less.

Space marines can kite orks pretty well with micro, guardsmen can do the same with greater firepower and control right out the door. Just start running early and have the sentinel pull the weight. They'll break off to the sentinel. Stomp. Guardsmen start shooting from safe distance against stunned troops. If they don't break off, the sentinel will pick the enemy apart with their multi-laser. Throw a flamer, commander wargear, the spices of life as you see fit.

Really good counter. Even units will speed boosts, like banshees, can be stunned during their speed boost so the guardsmen can make easy distance.

edit: I might be wrong, but the sentinel stomp might do damage as well. It feels like it!

Corp.Shephard on
    edited February 2011

Exactly. Melee counter does not equal good in melee.

The way to deal with sents is basic ranged troops. They don't preform nearly as well in a stand up shootout, and theres no retreat button to escape if they get low on health. They're a very good unit, but you have to watch them like a hawk. One of those units which will be an amazing pain in the ass or garbage, depending on the skill of the player controlling them.

So far IG seem pretty cool. No bloodcrusher chaosy bullshit imbalance here, though this is just at first glance. Catachans look to be a powerful unit, I will have to look into their melee damage more significantly tomorrow to make a call on them. Ogryn look to be seriously expensive, will have to look at them and see if they're worth buying.

Oh and the avatars got buffed to fuck. His line o death ability has become a gigantic trangle of death. Autarch also looks very strong.

CanisAquilus on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, the beta started. How am I supposed to get a key exactly?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited February 2011
    Argh, laptop just rebooted now while playing - probably from overheating. Sometimes freezes a bit when I give move orders too fast too, think I'll have to wait a bit until i get back home and can play on the desktop to give 3v3 online a go.

Lord general is fun buff stuff, as is the sentinel and expensive catachans.

Alegis on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Iblis wrote: »

picture!

He says it!

I wish the commissar and the general were swapped. I love the commissar so much but the general is just way more useful in every way.

That is pretty cool though. IG also go "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this!" when you upgrade them. So many references in this expansion.

One of the Inquisitor's lines is "Our chief weapons are fear and surprise!"

I'm going to miss the old Ork voiceovers but I suspect I'll get used to the current ones. Eldar and Space Marine voiceovers seem fine.

subedii on