As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Hunters], Misdirecting everyone but tanks since '07

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just don't think traps are "fine" when you need to use some kind of root or scatter shot just to reliably get off freezing trap on someone at range. Thats of course if after setting it all up it doesn't resist, they don't wander away from your trap or someone or something else doesn't eat it for them. Too many variables to get off a single cc which every other class does with a single push of a single button.

Sonork on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sonork wrote: »
    I just don't think traps are "fine" when you need to use some kind of root or scatter shot just to reliably get off freezing trap on someone at range. Thats of course if after setting it all up it doesn't resist, they don't wander away from your trap or someone or something else doesn't eat it for them. Too many variables to get off a single cc which every other class does with a single push of a single button.

I can see some cases where the trap launcher is better then target rooting. A quick example is in Strand of the Ancients, I stand next to the cannon, and throw traps all up and down the ramp before anyone gets there. That lets me setup and also start the cool-down and if you time it right you can be throwing a second wave of traps right after the first wave is tripped.

It like most things has pros/cons. It can be infuriating when things go wrong as you mentioned, like when a warrior trips the snack trap instead of that mage who was running towards you, but for the most part I like it.

DrunkMc on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    In PVP I understand the issue. It's more than fine in PVE. Also, where do I get the snack trap?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bleh a bit bummed out today as I realize that despite getting lucky and taming Loque'nahak a few days ago, that Beast Mastery pales in comparison to Survival in terms of damage output so Loque won't be seeing the insides of any instances any time soon.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bleh a bit bummed out today as I realize that despite getting lucky and taming Loque'nahak a few days ago, that Beast Mastery pales in comparison to Survival in terms of damage output so Loque won't be seeing the insides of any instances any time soon.

Play what you want! Get comfortable with it, because odds are this imbalance will be corrected soon enough.

Also, I'm jealous; I just hit 76 on my Hunter and I've been trying to find him for a few days now. So far I've only found King Krush =(

Rius on
    edited January 2011
    Rius wrote: »

Play what you want! Get comfortable with it, because odds are this imbalance will be corrected soon enough.

Also, I'm jealous; I just hit 76 on my Hunter and I've been trying to find him for a few days now. So far I've only found King Krush =(

Using NPCScan helped immensely. I was looking for him kind of half heartedly over the course of a week. Ran my first heroic on my hunter and when we go out I was going to log off but decided to do one lap for the heck of it. Nearly jumped out of my seat when NPCscan went off.

I would play Beast Mastery (and did originally) but since my guild is doing heroics I feel like I need to bring my "A" game to try and get them done. (especially being a fresh 85). I did hear that Survival was going to be nerfed in the next patch though? If that is correct than perhaps BM might be on par with them and I can bring my fun pets (Dino, Shale spider, and now Loque) into instances.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited January 2011

Using NPCScan helped immensely. I was looking for him kind of half heartedly over the course of a week. Ran my first heroic on my hunter and when we go out I was going to log off but decided to do one lap for the heck of it. Nearly jumped out of my seat when NPCscan went off.

I would play Beast Mastery (and did originally) but since my guild is doing heroics I feel like I need to bring my "A" game to try and get them done. (especially being a fresh 85). I did hear that Survival was going to be nerfed in the next patch though? If that is correct than perhaps BM might be on par with them and I can bring my fun pets (Dino, Shale spider, and now Loque) into instances.

I just recently installed NPCScan myself; it feels like cheating but I won't deny how useful it is. And yes, it's quite the panic inducer when it goes off, haha.

Survival is getting some nerfs, yes; I'm not sure if BM/MM are getting buffs or not.

Rius on
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    They are buffing some of the signature MM and BM abilities, while dealing a nerf to SV. The intent is to bring the damage output of the 3 specs closer together, while reigning in Hunter DPS as a whole.

4.0.6 patch notes:
    Aimed Shot weapon damage has been increased to 200%, up from 150%. In addition, the base cast time has been reduced to 2.4 seconds, down from 3.
    Arcane Shot damage has been increased by 15%.
    Kill Command's damage has been increased by 20%.

Talent Specializations

Beast Mastery
    Animal Handler now provides a passive 25% bonus to attack power, up from 15%.

Marksmanship
    Chimera Shot's overall damage has been increased by roughly 50%.
    Wild Quiver (Mastery): Chance for this to trigger per mastery has been increased by approximately 17%.

Survival
    Black Arrow damage has been reduced by 15%.
    Explosive Shot damage has been reduced by 15%.
    Hunter vs. Wild has been increased to 5/10/15% Stamina, up from 4/8/12%.
    Into the Wilderness (passive) has been reduced to a 10% Agility increase, down from 15%

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Oh, that's some nice patch notes. BM uses quite a lot of Arcane Shot on top of Kill Command, so that should help out.

Rius on
    edited January 2011
    Hmm with those changes I may actually be able to bring my BM in line with my Survival DPS. the difference was pretty large (about 2k DPS) so we'll see how much this closes the gap.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Even with the changes, Survival is still going to be far better for AoE.
    BM is meh, once they removed the BW cc invuln it stopped being faceroll and just became sub par. Kill command is blah and your pet can be cc'd so many ways it's annoying.
    I think it's worth noting that Imp Mend Pet is pretty good at removing most CCs from your pet, albeit with a dose of RNG. But that combined with the cooldown reduction on Master's Call coming soon should allow you pretty high pet uptime. Granted, BM has a lot of other issues in PvP, but your pet should be on something almost all the time if you're doing things right.

forty on
    edited January 2011
    Rakeeth wrote: »
    Emporium wrote: »
    I like the fact that survival is top dps spec for a change. Except for a brief period in the beginning of Wrath, MM or BM has pretty much always been the go-to raid spec. But I'd be happy if either SV or MM is better than BM, because fuck BM.

Agreed. BM has got to be the most boring to play while raiding. Had enough of that in the middle of BC.
    Except BM now plays almost nothing like it did in TBC. It's arguably the most complex hunter spec to optimize now (it's between it and MM; Surv is by far the easiest now).

forty on
    edited January 2011
    forty wrote: »

Meh, i'm not as concerned about AoE honestly. I can still multi-shot and drop my trap for AoE as BM. It won't do as much certainly but My main concern is DPS on the boss. In the Trash pulls I find Instead of just using Aoe I find I burst down individual targets faster (For pulls that are about 4-5 mobs as opposed to 7-8)

*edit* Yeah I don't think BM is faceroll boring anymore. At least my own experience from utilizing both BM and Survival they seem pretty similar. (Sorry haven't tried MM)

Beastmastery I find I am rotating between utilizing my Kill Command when it is up, and keeping focus Fire active while I alternate between Cobra shot and Arcane shot as Focus permits. Also being mindful of my pet and using Beastial Wrath when it is off cooldown.

With Survival It is just a matter of making sure my Black arrow is used when it is up, and firing off Explosive shot whenever it is available. Otherwise I'm alternating between Cobra shot and Arcane shot as Focus permits.

The only real difference is that with Survival I watch out for the Lock and Load Proc so I can fire off a couple free Explosive shots. But the WoW UI goes ballistic when Lock and Load procs so that's not too hard.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Meh, i'm not as concerned about AoE honestly. I can still multi-shot and drop my trap for AoE as BM. It won't do as much certainly but My main concern is DPS on the boss. In the Trash pulls I find Instead of just using Aoe I find I burst down individual targets faster (For pulls that are about 4-5 mobs as opposed to 7-8)

*edit* Yeah I don't think BM is faceroll boring anymore. At least my own experience from utilizing both BM and Survival they seem pretty similar. (Sorry haven't tried MM)

Beastmastery I find I am rotating between utilizing my Kill Command when it is up, and keeping focus Fire active while I alternate between Cobra shot and Arcane shot as Focus permits. Also being mindful of my pet and using Beastial Wrath when it is off cooldown.

With Survival It is just a matter of making sure my Black arrow is used when it is up, and firing off Explosive shot whenever it is available. Otherwise I'm alternating between Cobra shot and Arcane shot as Focus permits.

The only real difference is that with Survival I watch out for the Lock and Load Proc so I can fire off a couple free Explosive shots. But the WoW UI goes ballistic when Lock and Load procs so that's not too hard.

2 out of the 4 raid bosses I have killed so far involved a heavy AOE phase where the 2 hunters in our raid play a huge role in burning down adds.

Just sayin', you'll probably want to keep a surv spec in reserve for fights like that.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    edited January 2011
    AOE is too important on a lot of the fights (off the top of my head, ChoGie, Magmaw, Maloriak, Halfus depending on comp) to not have a Survival backup spec. And by important I mean if I wasn't survival we would need another person on ranged DPS.

I can solo the Magmaw adds (found this out when Mage died), I solo the first wave of Cho'Gall adds, and killing Maloriak's adds before the debuff wears off is 100% necessary to your survival.

Also, the less you use arcane shot, the better. The best rotation is 3xCobra, 1x Explosive, keeping Black Arrow up and only using Arcane when you are near focus cap.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited January 2011
    Noisymunk wrote: »

2 out of the 4 raid bosses I have killed so far involved a heavy AOE phase where the 2 hunters in our raid play a huge role in burning down adds.

Just sayin', you'll probably want to keep a surv spec in reserve for fights like that.

Oh absolutely! Right now my two specs are Survival and BM. And i'm running Survival for all my Heroic needs since it has the better dps currently. I'm just looking forward to the patch because it may make BM viable in these situations.

@Crumbly. Yup, I hardly ever use it which is why I said that I use it when focus permits. :)

Although with the damage buff I wonder if I should try and give it more prioritization in my rotation now?

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wtb Cleave Command

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited January 2011
    Doubtful. If it had more prioritization, you would never use Explosive Shot. They buffed it to increase BM / MM damage afaik, shouldn't have any Hunter implications.

At least none that I have read.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited February 2011
    I'm thinking were gonna see one more week of being terrible in pvp. Next patch cannot come fast enough.

Anyways right now the difference in dmg output for surv vs the output for BM/MM is actually crazy.

http://stateofdps.com/

Blizzard did a really really terrible job at almost everything hunter related except for Survival PVE damage. When they redid hunter mechanics and talent trees then ?!!?tested!?!? them. They failed miserably... to put it short. Just as they've failed miserably at making the hunter class viable in pvp specifically arenas.

(Latest arena numbers as of 3 days ago)
    Top 10 3v3 teams EU and US numbers combined.

Shaman: 152
    Mage: 127
    Warlock: 115
    Druid: 89
    Paladin: 79
    Priest: 77
    Death Knight: 68
    Rogue: 62
    Warrior: 45
    Hunter: 7

Fails for everything hunter related with the only exception being Surv PVE dmg. If they had fucked that up like they did everything else we would have literally nothing.

Sonork on
    edited February 2011
    As the people above have already covered, DO NOT take GC's pre-Cata "we're deemphasizing AoE" to mean anything to the effect of "we won't put encounters in that require significant sustained AoE and/or significant burst AoE" since that's exactly what they've done (and left some classes in a shitty state for AoE with their random 4.0 nerfs).

forty on
    edited February 2011
    I'm thinking were gonna see one more week of being terrible in pvp. Next patch cannot come fast enough.

Anyways right now the difference in dmg output for surv vs the output for BM/MM is actually crazy.

http://stateofdps.com/

Blizzard did a really really terrible job at almost everything hunter related except for Survival PVE damage. When they redid hunter mechanics and talent trees then ?!!?tested!?!? them. They failed miserably... to put it short. Just as they've failed miserably at making the hunter class viable in pvp specifically arenas.

Fails for everything hunter related with the only exception being Surv PVE dmg. If they had fucked that up like they did everything else we would have literally nothing.
    Actually you could argue they failed with Survival PvE damage, since it's easily too high. I mean, that's good for the Surv hunters, of course, but in terms of general game balance, they failed with Survival too.

Re: Arcane Shot and Survival. I don't think anyone was implying you'd use AS over any of your rotational Survival shots, but with the damage buff to it (and nerf to BA/ES), it might actually make haste a less shitty stat for Surv, since haste essentially translates to more Arcane Shots over time. Less shitty enough to reforge for? Doubtful, but the haste that you're invariably going to wind up with might do more for you now.

forty on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hunters dead last in representation on arena teams? I sure am shocked, yessir.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Skeith wrote: »
    Hunters dead last in representation on arena teams? I sure am shocked, yessir.

Thats the thing though, sure someone has to be last, but to be 5 times lower in rep than 2nd to last is a design fail catastrophe of cataclysmic proportions in regards to the class in question. cata cata.. XD

Sonork on
    edited February 2011
    Guys, the real reason is hunters are not playing their class properly. Didn't you guys pick up the hidden lacerate talent?

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited February 2011
    I'm old enough to have hit something with Lacerate =)

Rius on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah but nobody was actually dumb enough to take that talent.

or rather... nobody who's managed to remember to breathe everyday since then :)

It was all about shadowmelding so you could wind up your Aimed Shot.

Bobble on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bobble wrote: »

Yeah but nobody was actually dumb enough to take that talent.

or rather... nobody who's managed to remember to breathe everyday since then :)

It was all about shadowmelding so you could wind up your Aimed Shot.

Good times... anything left standing after aimed-multi-arcane was either at 5% health, a tank, or a hacker.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At this point I almost feel like survival damage is an unintended fluke or statistical abberation and focus has been a disastrous failure.

-SPI- on
    edited February 2011
    -SPI- wrote: »
    At this point I almost feel like survival damage is an unintended fluke or statistical abberation and focus has been a disastrous failure.

I actually enjoy the whole focus system. But then again I'm usually a fan of mechanics that try to differ themselves from your standard mana bar stuff. I'll reserve judgement for when the patch goes live, but I anticipate that it really won't affect my enjoyment of the class as a whole.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Welcome to the Hunter Focus Open Beta Test.

Poketpixie on
    edited February 2011

I actually enjoy the whole focus system. But then again I'm usually a fan of mechanics that try to differ themselves from your standard mana bar stuff. I'll reserve judgement for when the patch goes live, but I anticipate that it really won't affect my enjoyment of the class as a whole.

I'm enjoying the focus system, it's kind of fun. My only gripe is I wish I had a more consistent way as a BM to give Focus back to my pet. I'm finding my Ferocity pets to get focus starved after one mob. Tanking pets always have Focus. So I think there's a pretty big disparity going on so far around level 70.

Otherwise, the Rhino? Insane fucking tank. Me and him did a 3 player recommended group quest. Came down to the wire, but got it done! I kind of want to bring him into PVP just for the knock back thing. I think that'd be funny.

DrunkMc on
    edited February 2011
    DrunkMc wrote: »

I'm enjoying the focus system, it's kind of fun. My only gripe is I wish I had a more consistent way as a BM to give Focus back to my pet. I'm finding my Ferocity pets to get focus starved after one mob. Tanking pets always have Focus. So I think there's a pretty big disparity going on so far around level 70.

Otherwise, the Rhino? Insane fucking tank. Me and him did a 3 player recommended group quest. Came down to the wire, but got it done! I kind of want to bring him into PVP just for the knock back thing. I think that'd be funny.

Another excellent tank is the Beetle. Used that guy on the little giblin pulls in Heroic Throne of Tides. With his 50% damage reduction skill he could take the initial hit from all 8 of them and survive. (apparently a strategy people employ is to sacrifice the hunter pet to the initial volley and have the tank pick them up after that so the tank does not have to blow any big cooldowns.

Also used him for tanking pretty much every elite I come across because he is super beefy.

Plus he is a giant bug.

*Edit* This guy http://www.wowhead.com/npc=46126

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited February 2011
    There's a 3-player and a 5-player group quest in Borean Tundra; I soloed both of them with a Bear pet, lol. Helps that I'm still overgeared in t5 loots from when I stopped playing.

I'm not really having a problem with pet Focus regen; I assume you have all the relevant talents in the BM tree? You didn't skip Beastial Discipline or Frenzy / Focus Fire?

Haste increases the rate of focus regen, so any effect that speeds up your pet will also speed up his pet regen. I believe that pets inherit at least a portion of your haste, so anything that speeds you up will help as well. Not 100% sure about that, though.

You should also have Fervor which is good for emergency focus regen.

I dunno; sorry if this sounds like lecturing. It all seems like obvious stuff.

Rius on
  • Nulian FeadraugNulian Feadraug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another viable strategy for hunters pulling the gilgoblins in TotT is to use Camo, MD and Traplaunch a fire trap to a tank hiding and LoS them back, they don't do they spear things in melee range.

Nulian Feadraug on
    edited February 2011
    Another viable strategy for hunters pulling the gilgoblins in TotT is to use Camo, MD and Traplaunch a fire trap to a tank hiding and LoS them back, they don't do they spear things in melee range.

Well sure...but then you can't impress the rest of your group when they tell you "Ok now go sacrifice your pet and the tank will pick them up"

"Sacrifice? OHOHOHOHOHOHOH, what kind of Hunter do you think I am? Sacrifice DPS just to pull some trash? I THINK NOT"

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Nulian FeadraugNulian Feadraug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well sure...but then you can't impress the rest of your group when they tell you "Ok now go sacrifice your pet and the tank will pick them up"

"Sacrifice? OHOHOHOHOHOHOH, what kind of Hunter do you think I am? Sacrifice DPS just to pull some trash? I THINK NOT"

My guild groups already know I'll do nothing to sacrifice my DPS, especially if it's just to save the tank! :twisted:

Nulian Feadraug on
    edited February 2011

My guild groups already know I'll do nothing to sacrifice my DPS, especially if it's just to save the tank! :twisted:

I actually impressed my Guild group when I hit 85 and did my first Heroic topping the DPS meters. It's partly why I'm not too worried about Survival, because they would have to do a LOT to make it less viable. I'm hoping they tone it down enough that I can bring my BM into the instances though because I generally find him more entertaining.

On a side note So far the Heroics I have run have not been too bad. (Granted I am not pugging them) but my guild has been pretty good with all the ones I've done (I'll admit I was a bit freaked out initially after hearing how difficult they were supposed to be)

But the only one that we had trouble with is the Throne of Tides final boss. I think we wiped 5 times (once was due to our healer standing outside the room when we started :() because we were using our buff moves during the wrong phase and weren't too organized. Once we sorted that out we were able to burst him down during Phase 3.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
    edited February 2011
    There's a 3-player and a 5-player group quest in Borean Tundra; I soloed both of them with a Bear pet, lol. Helps that I'm still overgeared in t5 loots from when I stopped playing.

I'm not really having a problem with pet Focus regen; I assume you have all the relevant talents in the BM tree? You didn't skip Beastial Discipline or Frenzy / Focus Fire?

Haste increases the rate of focus regen, so any effect that speeds up your pet will also speed up his pet regen. I believe that pets inherit at least a portion of your haste, so anything that speeds you up will help as well. Not 100% sure about that, though.

You should also have Fervor which is good for emergency focus regen.

I dunno; sorry if this sounds like lecturing. It all seems like obvious stuff.

I have all those talents, so I should be good. I think what's hurting me is I have my pet with the ability where his stuff hits for 150% but costs more when he's above 60% focus. I'm starting to think that's better suited for PvP, where PvE I want to keep sustaining damage going.

DrunkMc on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay i got a few questions.

I've been leveling a goblin hunter. currently level 70.

1) When a talent or skill 'increases ranged haste' does that mean it does not increase meele haste? and more importantly, which haste is focus regeneration bonuses due to haste calculated on?

2) the goblin racial 1% haste talent says meele and casting...does that include ranged?

3) A quick poll for you BM players...what are your top pets in each of the types (cunning/feroc/tenac).

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited February 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay i got a few questions.

I've been leveling a goblin hunter. currently level 70.

1) When a talent or skill 'increases ranged haste' does that mean it does not increase meele haste? and more importantly, which haste is focus regeneration bonuses due to haste calculated on?

2) the goblin racial 1% haste talent says meele and casting...does that include ranged?

3) A quick poll for you BM players...what are your top pets in each of the types (cunning/feroc/tenac).

Not sure about your first two questions, but as for my pet preferences I would say Devilsaur for ferocity because of the Raid buff, Shale Spider for Tenacity for similar reasons. I don't really use any cunning pets though, I find Tenacity and Ferocity tend to cover my personal needs. Having recently gotten Loque though she would take top spot for Ferocity because she is a spirit beast and has the cat raid buff. So there is some extra healing action going on with her.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png