As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TV Shows that died too early.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Serenity was a decent ending to Firefly I thought. The main problem with it is that it was definitely an ending.

Also Vera wasn't in it.

electricitylikesme on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the problem with Serenity was the "Well, it's the end. Lets kill people!". Of course, Whedon does that every time, but I hate it anyway. Probably why I never made it to the end of anything of his but Firefly and Dollhouse...

Firefly so needed more seasons. At least one for each character. It was robbed and the movie just made it apparent it needed to continue damnit.

Xeddicus on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plus I thought it destroyed the mythos of Reavers - I really liked it that nobody knew what their history was and where they exactly came from, and men driven madness by seeing emptiness space was pretty awesome.

I thought it didn't resolve Book's history, which was pretty lame because he, you know, died.

I didn't like it when River became a generic action hero in the blink of an eye. The show seemed to build up her abilities at a far slower rate.

Character interaction wasn't as good in my opinion either. All the characters seemed to be more awkward with each other, and it was kind of abrupt that Mal would just abandon River and Simon like that after the last episode of the show.

Mr. Universe was kind of a stupid character. Plus the universe became more techy and generic sci-fi in other ways as well, I really liked the Wild West scifi of the show.

Alliance cruisers were awesome in the show - just big flying cities, completely unchallengeable by anything. They were an unique design, in the movie Alliance ships were just your average cookie-cutter spaceships.

I guess it's nitpicking when you take them alone, but combined the movie did not just have the same spirit as the show in my opinion. It was a good movie of course, just by the virtue of being based on Firefly. But it wasn't nearly as good as the TV show.

DarkCrawler on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Plus I thought it destroyed the mythos of Reavers - I really liked it that nobody knew what their history was and where they exactly came from, and men driven madness by seeing emptiness space was pretty awesome.

I thought it didn't resolve Book's history, which was pretty lame because he, you know, died.

See, I thought that the movie did a pretty good job of alluding Book's history- i.e that he was an operative.

I much prefer that version than the 'canon' comic book version that recently came out.

noir_blood on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    And Better Off Ted, what? It started with a neat premise, then spent 2 seasons going nowhere. By the end of the 2nd season they were just repeating standard sitcom plots, like they'd already run out if ideas. And half the characters seemed like they didn't realize they were in a comedy.

Different writers on a different network could have done the show justice, but it wasn't doing anything interesting enough to stave off cancellation when it came.

I remember really liking Better off TED and being sad it was canceled. But I only saw it AFTER it had already been canceled, so....

I liked Serenity but it wasn't as good as Firefly. It definitely felt like a step back in character development from Firefly--everyone regressed. It seems like they felt they needed to go back and summarize the characters relationships as they were at the beginning of the series, not how they were at the end. So it was like a recapitulation of the shows character development from beginning to end in 2 hrs, instead of in 14.

Arrested Development was perfect. I somehow don't really need more, what we got was so good.

Also how about Wonderfalls guys? anyone? Bueller?

valiance on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I didn't like it when River became a generic action hero in the blink of an eye. The show seemed to build up her abilities at a far slower rate.

Character interaction wasn't as good in my opinion either. All the characters seemed to be more awkward with each other, and it was kind of abrupt that Mal would just abandon River and Simon like that after the last episode of the show.

Mr. Universe was kind of a stupid character. Plus the universe became more techy and generic sci-fi in other ways as well, I really liked the Wild West scifi of the show.

Alliance cruisers were awesome in the show - just big flying cities, completely unchallengeable by anything. They were an unique design, in the movie Alliance ships were just your average cookie-cutter spaceships.

I guess it's nitpicking when you take them alone, but combined the movie did not just have the same spirit as the show in my opinion. It was a good movie of course, just by the virtue of being based on Firefly. But it wasn't nearly as good as the TV show.

And they completely changed Simon. He's 2 different characters, and it doesn't make a bit of sense.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The movie had to be a complete plot unto itself, appealing to a wider audience than just the show. It was a compromise made for it to happen at all. Show viewers at least got SOME resolution, and the studio got to try to produce a blockbuster that wasn't doomed from the start.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited February 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The movie had to be a complete plot unto itself, appealing to a wider audience than just the show. It was a compromise made for it to happen at all. Show viewers at least got SOME resolution, and the studio got to try to produce a blockbuster that wasn't doomed from the start.

I get that, but there's no reason that it couldn't have been a sci-fi western story unto itself with characters who were written consistently with the show.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jclast wrote: »

I get that, but there's no reason that it couldn't have been a sci-fi western story unto itself with characters who were written consistently with the show.

I never got a single ounce of vibe that they changed the characters. The regression of relationships was the only thing I saw, and that was necessary for non show-viewers to understand the relationship arc in the movie.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    valiance wrote: »
    And Better Off Ted, what? It started with a neat premise, then spent 2 seasons going nowhere. By the end of the 2nd season they were just repeating standard sitcom plots, like they'd already run out if ideas. And half the characters seemed like they didn't realize they were in a comedy.

Different writers on a different network could have done the show justice, but it wasn't doing anything interesting enough to stave off cancellation when it came.

I remember really liking Better off TED and being sad it was canceled. But I only saw it AFTER it had already been canceled, so....

Thats because Better off Ted was an awesome show with razor sharp writing and excellent comic timing, that got lumbered with a horrible name and a marketing team that had no idea what they were doing.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011

Thats because Better off Ted was an awesome show with razor sharp writing and excellent comic timing, that got lumbered with a horrible name and a marketing team that had no idea what they were doing.

The Veridian Dynamics commercials alone were better than most anything else that's still on the air...

Xeddicus on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »

The Veridian Dynamics commercials alone were better than most anything else that's still on the air...

I don't know what metric we're using when that show and those commercials are considered razor sharp or excellently timed. I don't watch many tv shows, so it must that I'm holding it to an unreasonable standard.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited February 2011
    Do you hate Farscape too?! :P

Xeddicus on
    edited February 2011
    We'll find out soon enough.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I nominate HBO's Spawn animated series. I just finished watching the first 3 seasons and really enjoyed it, though season 2 seemed to be a bit weaker than 1 and 3. If we don't get anything more (I guess season 4's fate has been up in the air or something for a while now), then I could live with the ending we have. It's not a cliffhanger ending, exactly, but it leaves open the opportunity to really blow Spawn's quest wide open with a new season.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011

I don't know what metric we're using when that show and those commercials are considered razor sharp or excellently timed. I don't watch many tv shows, so it must that I'm holding it to an unreasonable standard.

We're saying that Better off Ted had terrible tv spots, but if you don't love the racial sensitivy episode then you're some kind of horrible sub-human morlock.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    That episode was good, but wasn't it right at the start of season 1?

As I said, my the show started great, then just lost steam and meandered about. By the end of season 2 it wasn't doing anything original or even that interesting. It was not the type of show that got cut down in its prime, or just when it was getting good.

Page- on
    stream
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    noir_blood wrote: »

See, I thought that the movie did a pretty good job of alluding Book's history- i.e that he was an operative.

I much prefer that version than the 'canon' comic book version that recently came out.

Which does not exist. I can't hear you.

lalallalalalalalala.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bullio wrote: »
    I nominate HBO's Spawn animated series. I just finished watching the first 3 seasons and really enjoyed it, though season 2 seemed to be a bit weaker than 1 and 3. If we don't get anything more (I guess season 4's fate has been up in the air or something for a while now), then I could live with the ending we have. It's not a cliffhanger ending, exactly, but it leaves open the opportunity to really blow Spawn's quest wide open with a new season.

Considering literally no one gives a shit about Spawn anymore, I sincerely doubt it will ever happen. But yeah, that was a cool show. Wouldn't say it died too early, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited February 2011
    deowolf wrote: »

lalallalalalalalala.

I'm going to go have to hit up wikipedia or something now. I blame you people for any mental suffering this shall incur.

Edit: Well, it's not THAT bad. Just not as good being as we have an better alternative already established.

Xeddicus on
    edited February 2011
    That episode was good, but wasn't it right at the start of season 1?

As I said, my the show started great, then just lost steam and meandered about. By the end of season 2 it wasn't doing anything original or even that interesting. It was not the type of show that got cut down in its prime, or just when it was getting good.

It did some interesteing things with some of the standard sitcom set-ups, it's a bit hard to argue because youtube doesn't have the usual plethora of random episode clips and a lot of the humour of the dialogue is in the tempo and delivery. Season two had some great episodes as well. The Sexual Harassment episode is gold, as is the one where Jenkins dies.

Which of the characters did you feel didn't work in the show?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »

Considering literally no one gives a shit about Spawn anymore, I sincerely doubt it will ever happen. But yeah, that was a cool show. Wouldn't say it died too early, though.

I think that no one gives a shit about Spawn for a reason, but the animated series was easily the franchise's high point. What ultimately crippled it was the fact that the story wasn't all that engaging and I could never decide if the series was trying to be mature or gratuitous. For what it was, though, it was very enjoyable.

Thinking about Spawn invariably leads me to think about The Maxx, which could be called either a parody or tribute. I'm not sure that it died too early because I'm not sure how much potential it ever had, but its short run was quite good.

Torso Boy on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cherrn wrote: »

plus I think it's still going on... he's king of hell now or something to that effect.
    no one cares though.

Now Maxx... that's something i'd like to see revisited.

DanHibiki on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

lalallalalalalalala.

I'm going to go have to hit up wikipedia or something now. I blame you people for any mental suffering this shall incur.

Edit: Well, it's not THAT bad. Just not as good being as we have an better alternative already established.

I just read it too.

It's really that bad. That was fucking terrible.

It just reconfirms my hatred for any of the Wheadon-comic-tie-in shit. All of which has sucked.

shryke on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    shryke wrote: »

lalallalalalalalala.

I just read it too.

It's really that bad. That was fucking terrible.

It just reconfirms my hatred for any of the Wheadon-comic-tie-in shit. All of which has sucked.

Nah. I mean, yeah the 'season' of Buffy that just ended in the comics was really inconsistent but it had some good parts. The first two arcs-one reintroducing the world and Buffy, and the second one about Faith were really good. Mecha Dawn and Dracula were awesome too.

Then it got off the rails, though it's something that Whedon even acknowledged in the last issue.

But I will agree that I quite dislike Book's comic and origin. It's so 'blah', and in fact, the comic realies more on the techniche use to tell the story than the story itself.

noir_blood on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mecha Dawn? How lazy can you get?

mrt144 on
  • EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just noticed that Hulu has the entire run of Day Break.

If any of you haven't seen it, you should. It's basically Groundhog Day, only he's stuck in a time-loop of everything going wrong on the same day, and he has to basically shoot dudes to get out of it.

My inner super-nerd is hoping that it got put on hulu thanks to groundhog day being a couple days ago.

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought that at Target for $5. Can probably still find it fairly easily...I lent it to a friend, or I'd have watched it by now.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited February 2011
    jclast wrote: »

I never got a single ounce of vibe that they changed the characters. The regression of relationships was the only thing I saw, and that was necessary for non show-viewers to understand the relationship arc in the movie.

I can't believe that you watched both and didn't think that they changed, at the very least, Simon completely.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So this thread convinced me to watch all of Day Break on hulu. It's pretty good until episode 9 or so, and sort of drags until the final episode. Still worth watching overall. Probably best it doesn't have a second season though (at least the season it does have has a decent enough ending), so I wouldn't say it died early.

Plus you can make all sorts of MST3K-esque jokes about Blood Moongood's name. I mean Good Moonblood. Err, Moon Bloodgood.

[edit] Plus: Adam Baldwin

But as awesome as he is, it's like every series he's in dies after one season.[/edit]

President Rex on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So this thread convinced me to watch all of Day Break on hulu. It's pretty good until episode 9 or so, and sort of drags until the final episode. Still worth watching overall. Probably best it doesn't have a second season though (at least the season it does have has a decent enough ending), so I wouldn't say it died early.

Plus you can make all sorts of MST3K-esque jokes about Blood Moongood's name. I mean Good Moonblood. Err, Moon Bloodgood.

But as awesome as he is, it's like every series he's in dies after one season.[/edit]

You have to understand that while they filmed an entire season of Daybreak (and released it on DVD) they didn't show the last five episodes or so on TV. So it died too early.

Oh, and Chase and The Cape have been canned, so, a couple new ones to add to the pile.

Taramoor on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Journeyman was a show that too many people dismissed as a Quantum Leap rip-off, when it really wasn't. It kept getting better and better, but unfortunately none of the mysteries raised in the latter half of the show will ever be elaborated upon.

DarkPrimus on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

You have to understand that while they filmed an entire season of Daybreak (and released it on DVD) they didn't show the last five episodes or so on TV. So it died too early.

Oh, and Chase and The Cape have been canned, so, a couple new ones to add to the pile.

When I read the order for The Cape was reduced, I was relieved. Honestly, I think the 5 episodes we have of so far have been five too many. The second hour of the pilot picked up a bit from the mess of the first hour, but aside from that it's been quite flat and boring. The only consistently good part of the show has been Rollo. As much as I enjoy Summer Glau and Keith David, neither has really been that great (especially Keith David), and that is a real shame.

Can't speak for Chase, but when I saw the ads I knew it wouldn't last more than a season (if it even made it a full season).

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011

I'll have to go watch Daybreak soon...

And Baldwin has been on Chuck for four seasons, and maybe a 5th. Though the first season did get chopped down to 13 because of the strike so he almost kept his record going...

Xeddicus on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really wanted another season of Sarah Connor chronicles. It ended on a cliffhanger just as it was starting to get really good with them in the future and an AI that was developing actual human traits.

God dammit.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just knew the Cape wouldn't last. Keith David can't be on primetime national television consistently, that'd be way too weird.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still haven't gotten back into Buffy. The whole "high school life exaggerated to an awesome, ridiculous extent" thing died with the end of season 2 (I've watched up through about half of season 4).

'Becoming' is still my favorite story arc finale in Whedon has done.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Journeyman was a show that too many people dismissed as a Quantum Leap rip-off, when it really wasn't. It kept getting better and better, but unfortunately none of the mysteries raised in the latter half of the show will ever be elaborated upon.

Yeah I really liked it too, but this was during lost, so I thought it was plainly obvious they were making shit up without any way to explain it at all."people like mysterious shit yo, weill figure it out later! wheres my check?"

From that period I really really liked My Own Worst Enemy though, but it started suffering from painting itself into a corner unless they wanted to start murdering main characters. It was NBC really trying to throw money at action series (they had a few during this period), which I liked but they kind of killed all of them.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I really wanted another season of Sarah Connor chronicles. It ended on a cliffhanger just as it was starting to get really good with them in the future and an AI that was developing actual human traits.

God dammit.

If you go with the theory that "SKYNET can not be defeated in the past" theory then this is the best possible ending episode ever. This is the only logical way it can end really.

Let's look at the facts:
    Pre-Future Jump:
    We know Sarah will die of cancer. It seems inescapable.
    We know that in the past Derek is dead, and Cameron is unpredictable AND a robot.
    We know that every resource that Skynet has is still coming after John who is now practically alone.
    No one will believe him if he tries to tell them about the coming Judgement Day. He will end up in jail or a hospital where he is locked in and the robots will eventually get him.

Post-Future Jump (closing moments of the season):
    He has lost his mom but has his dad, Derek and Allison (the human Cameron is based off of)
    Skynet is no longer singularly searching him out.
    He is not alone! Everyone obviously knows skynet now that Judgement Day has happened. They are semi organized and have weapons. Many times in the series there was talk about the humans on the brink of winning... he has an honest shot.

useless4 on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Obviously they never considered just sending a nuclear bomb back in time a million years and wiping out the nascant humans

Lets see skynet recover from that!

override367 on