As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Mario R[Phalla]G is over. Village Wins!

1131415161719»

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's wrong with being a mason?

Ironically you are making me irritated by ignoring all the points we've made and attempting to downplay it all as "being emotional".

Is that board unlocked yet?

Edit:
    Toadofsky is a legit character from the game, and Toads are never, ever bad in the Mario games, so he should be on the level.

Read more: http://mushroomhappiness.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=5#ixzz1Clk2Wsoc

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How the hell did I survive to the end while 1) never actually being part of the network despite being confirmed, and 2) everyone knew I was a form of mechanics seer?

Also, you guys suck for taking my power away for canvassing when my role PM said nothing about that. :(

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How the hell did I survive to the end while 1) never actually being part of the network despite being confirmed, and 2) everyone knew I was a form of mechanics seer?

Also, you guys suck for taking my power away for canvassing when my role PM said nothing about that. :(

Yeah I'm real sorry about that. I guess I didn't make the situations where you'd get your power taken away clear enough. I'm learning though!

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also the source of my fake role, aside from the role name : http://www.mariowiki.com/birdo#Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    2) everyone knew I was a form of mechanics seer?

I actually wrote it off as you being asked by the network to out that knowledge to draw a kill, since the mouthpiece didn't say it and roles that lose powers on reveal are rather rare.

Ironically from reading the boards I vastly overestimated the network and if two mafia had claimed to be Pa Mole and Ma Mole, masons, we might have controlled the game in spite of balance issues.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Like I said, the cake thing wasn't why I voted Ringo. I just picked up the list that had been given me by the two previous network heads, and didn't want to screw around with it because I had no idea how legitimate their networking had been or what their PMs had said. By the time I decided Ringo wasn't mafia, it was too late to save him...

edit: Also, was the cookie mechanic ever meant to do anything but kind of confirm Yoshi's role?

jackisreal on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's wrong with being a mason?

Ironically you are making me irritated by ignoring all the points we've made and attempting to downplay it all as "being emotional".

Is that board unlocked yet?

Edit:
    Toadofsky is a legit character from the game, and Toads are never, ever bad in the Mario games, so he should be on the level.

Read more: http://mushroomhappiness.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=5#ixzz1Clk2Wsoc

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

He also gave me the song before it was put up. Who else would've been able to call that? This does of course feed into Duna's criticism of roles giving things away, but he did confirm himself.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    He also gave me the song before it was put up. Who else would've been able to call that? This does of course feed into Duna's criticism of roles giving things away, but he did confirm himself.

Yeah, the latter criticism is essentially what I was getting at.

In a vanilla mini the mafia has to eliminate a seer, a vig, maybe a backup vig, a guard, and a mason pair. And the serial killer needs to be either voted or killed somehow, either by village or mafia.

In this game it was three vigs, a guard, two mason pairs, a seer, toadofsky, and yoshi with fewer kills than in a vanilla mini :T

Anyways, what I've discussed has probably significantly been discussed already.

Some constructive stuff about cover roles:

1. When reading the OP I actually thought that this was going to be a phalla after the events of mario RPG, with the smithy gang having narrowly won and the kingdom making a comeback. Doing something like Luigi as the main vig, various other minor characters as specials/cover roles would have eliminated this issue.

2. Even if you wanted to use all the main characters, there could still be some countering expectations with things. Princess Peach could have been kidnapped and given as a cover role (probably not yaridovich's cover role, seering green as princess peach is too powerful), etc.

I actually would have helped Sir Fab look at stuff if I had known that no one had answered his call in IRC (was admittedly busy then). I'll try to keep in touch with you guys as you make your next game.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    2) everyone knew I was a form of mechanics seer?

I actually wrote it off as you being asked by the network to out that knowledge to draw a kill, since the mouthpiece didn't say it and roles that lose powers on reveal are rather rare.

Ironically from reading the boards I vastly overestimated the network and if two mafia had claimed to be Pa Mole and Ma Mole, masons, we might have controlled the game in spite of balance issues.

Unfortunately, IIRC, by that point you and duna had already claimed other roles, and daniant was leading the vote.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh yeah. Yoshi's Cookie was a block for Belome. Although Yoshi wasn't actually told that. But yeah. A completely useless power after the first day.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    pezzypezzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jackisreal wrote: »
    Like I said, the cake thing wasn't why I voted Ringo. I just picked up the list that had been given me by the two previous network heads, and didn't want to screw around with it because I had no idea how legitimate their networking had been or what their PMs had said. By the time I decided Ringo wasn't mafia, it was too late to save him...

edit: Also, was the cookie mechanic ever meant to do anything but kind of confirm Yoshi's role?
    Had we found out an hour earlier we could have done it. We had me, Jack and tipsy ready to switch. Ringo obviously would have not voted himself, but whether he'd hold the 4th vote we needed until vote close was unknown. Ringo did go back and forth at the end right before vote close, but that may have been different if it wasn't on him.

pezzy on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, what would've happened if Yoshi had given a cookie to Belome?

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    ExtermatottExtermatott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well the cookie blocks an attack by Belome so it would only stop him if he attacked himself.

Extermatott on
  • Options
    TipsyTipsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This was a great game I loved it, great gob and thanks for hosting. It came right down to the end so I wouldn't worry too much about balance. The narrations were great. Everyone seemed to enjoy it but duna.

Tipsy on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm the only one here who started playing super mario RPG because of this.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had fun this game. It was especially hilarious with Matev, Void Slayer and Mascara all basically revealling on day 1 or 2.

I never ended up as part of the network, but by the time daniant showed up red I had the whole mafia figured out. Or at least close. Ringo and schuss where the only two non-mafia on my list of possible mafia. Rawkking was the best covered and ironically the one that killed me. Haha. Good choice.

The only part of the game that was bothersome was all the blocking now that I know. I prefer to just have less specials rather than a lot of roleblocking options.

My role was especially confusing. I blocked a target from being seered and was village aligned. Seeing all thr roles now, it looks like only the head smithy had a seer ability every fourth night. So my ability to block seering would do more harm for the village rather than good. I didn't end up using my ability much for that reason.

CaptainPlanet82 on
    Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I'm the only one here who started playing super mario RPG because of this.

I would be playing it because of this game if I had an easy way to get a hold of it.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra