As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 2-2-11: Help me catch Frizzles!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Graphic Violence
Superman 80 page giant was good throughout the whole book, even the weaker stories were helped out by some good art (Trevor McCarthy's Supergirl was great). We also reach the point where Wildcat (the comic one) officially knows everyone in the DC Universe.

Take heed though: the Paul Tobin & Colleen Coover Lois story does not have Coover's art. But it's still fun nonetheless.

Lois and Lana find an ID on the ground in the street and try to find who it belongs to; thus begins a mystery that is spurred on by a double dog dare from Lana:

superman2011-80pageD-Copy.jpg

superman2011-80pageE.jpg

superman2011-80pageF.jpg

The Jimmy Olsen story is where he was cloned and all the clones live lives and die quickly, with this nice scene that is more like Nick Spencer's stories, keeping the wackiness:

Jimmy and Superman eating ice cream in the morgue, who knew strawberry was so deadly?

superman2011-80pageC.jpg

And Secret Six #30 was great top to bottom, with Bane's first "date":

Scandal's girlfriend sets him up with a girl at the strip club who looks like Scandal:

ss30a.jpg

ss30b.jpg

Good week for DC so far, even with events in Brightest Day #19, plus a Krypto bellyrub

TexiKen on

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bane is awesome... what else can be said?

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought Bane was supposed to be somewhat educated.

Or at least he might have flipped through a romance novel at some point in his life.

Caveman Paws on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Superman 80-page giant was pretty fantastic. The only thing I didn't really care for was the Superboy story. The plot wasn't anything special, and the art was by Eddy Barrows. So, ugh. But everything else had either great writing, great art, or both. I was disappointed by the lack of Coover art, though. Mega-bummer.

And yeah, Secret Six was terrific. Bane caving a guy's face in, while wearing the most unconcerned expression in the world, was pretty great. And the Harley Quinn stripper that said nothing but, "Squeeeee!" over and over was a nice little running gag. Really, the whole issue felt packed with content. Good, good stuff.

Or at least he might have flipped through a romance novel at some point in his life.
    You have to remember, this dude grew up in a prison filled with men. The only woman he knew, his mother, was basically a shuffling zombie, who ultimately died and was fed to sharks. He never really had a chance to socialize with ladies during his formative years.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Fabio would've done the same.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bane is suppose to be on par with Batman or nearly so, he even got the better of Ra's since the guy didn't realize how well learned and educated Bane really was.

But writers tend to write him as a strong man buffoon for the most part, even Gail who I think does a great job with Secret Six does not really write him as he should be.

Cade on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    Bane is suppose to be on par with Batman or nearly so, he even got the better of Ra's since the guy didn't realize how well learned and educated Bane really was.

But writers tend to write him as a strong man buffoon for the most part, even Gail who I think does a great job with Secret Six does not really write him as he should be.

Sometimes I think Gail writes him as too paternal, but I don't think she's underestimating his intelligence. If anything, geniuses are more socially awkward than normal people.

Also, he was raised in a prison. I'm pretty sure he didn't even see his first girl until he left as an adult.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Probably not but he was never this socially awkward or stupid. He was a confident man who knew what he wanted and did things that had to be done.

Unless you include that horrible horrible HORRIBLE Chuck Dixon issue of Birds of Prey where Bane basically had a crush on Black Canary and tried to get in her pants.

If you never read it be grateful.

Cade on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One thing that needs to be mentioned is that the chick did look a lot like Scandal (minus the mole), and Bane is already weak-kneed around her.

Superboy #4 was much better than last issue, and doesn't feel like it lost 2 pages. A nice scene between Conner and Lori below:

superboy4a.jpg

superboy4b.jpg
    (what has happened in TT?)

And Lori says "fine" and Conner leaves her brooding.

TexiKen on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I didn't know Superboy was the werewolf from Twilight.

Linespider5 on
    edited February 2011
    He totally fights a werewolf in the Superman 80 page special though! And Ma Kent's all "superhero boys will be boys do your homework"

TexiKen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that Superman story there with Lois and Lana is delightful.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2011
    I didn't know Superboy was the werewolf from Twilight.

You'd think you'd have to be able to draw a face (well) before seeing your work in a comic.

Caveman Paws on
    edited February 2011
    I actually think the faces look okay. But Conner's body looks really weird. His torso seems a little too long, and a little too pinched at the waist. And the way his pants tighten up around his ankles just looks goofy.

Also, I understand that the colorist is playing up the Luthor connection with the purple pants and green top, but that stuff looks like nothing an actual teenager would wear.

Munch on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Amazing Spider-Man continues to do well I think, but Bane's big date has my vote this week!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    After finally getting my books, my MotW is definitely MODOK's return in Hulk 29.

Parker does something almost never seen in modern comics. He turns MODOK in to a very serious threat without resorting to murder or rape or whatever. In fact, the new MODOK is less killhappy than the old MODOK. Well, at least when it comes to his own minions.

I want to kiss Jeff Parker on the mouth, basically

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of the new and improved MODOK, has he ever had like, a giant headless mecha, which he'd sit on top of? That seems like an idea too good to have not been done, but a Google search reveals nothing.

Munch on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like a few panels should go to him trying out new machinery, maybe a montage of mechs. One could be a robot dinosaur (throwback to dino riders), one could be like the mech from Aliens, and then he tries out something that looks oddly familiar to Kang's body in TMNT. Just sayin...

cardboard delusions on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    After finally getting my books, my MotW is definitely MODOK's return in Hulk 29.

Parker does something almost never seen in modern comics. He turns MODOK in to a very serious threat without resorting to murder or rape or whatever. In fact, the new MODOK is less killhappy than the old MODOK. Well, at least when it comes to his own minions.

Tell me more.

About MODOK, I mean, not kissing Jeff Parker on the mouth.

(You can tell me about kissing Jeff Parker on the mouth in a PM :winky:)

Delduwath on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We talking about kissing Jeff Parker in here?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    I feel like a few panels should go to him trying out new machinery, maybe a montage of mechs. One could be a robot dinosaur (throwback to dino riders), one could be like the mech from Aliens, and then he tries out something that looks oddly familiar to Kang's body in TMNT. Just sayin...
    MODSA.png

?

Munch on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HIRED!

edit: Listen up Marvel - here's the pitch. Marvel All Ages ongoing about Modok just trying to take over the world, every issue a new set of foiled attempts from various supers and always new suits. Munch on art. Pay me now.

edit2.0: for Valentine's Day make a MODOFS - a big teddy bear, designed only for snuggling.

cardboard delusions on
    edited February 2011
    edit2.0: for Valentine's Day make a MODOFS - a big teddy bear, designed only for snuggling.
    I might just do that.

Munch on
    edited February 2011
    I'm a goldmine of ideas.

cardboard delusions on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

it looks pretty baller - is there more like that in the issue or in other comics?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

it looks pretty baller - is there more like that in the issue or in other comics?

The surprising thing about this Superman 80 page giant is that is wasn't shit. Here's a quick rundown of the other stories:

-A Jor-El spy story where he's trying to figure out what is happening to Krypton, and sneaks to the center of the earth and discovers Kryptonite. Good story with solid CAFU art.

-A Perry White story where he meets Wildcat in a bar, and they talk about kids and how Perry's first published story was when he was a kid and went to a Wildcat/Guardian charity boxing match and Intergang showed up to rob the place, and Perry saves Wildcat. A good story with nice retro art.

-A Jimmy Olsen/Superman story about Jimmy being cloned and you have 100 different Jimmys out there having adventures and dying because they weren't complete clones. Good solid story from two relative unknowns.

-A Bizarro story that makes fun of JMS' grounded story, with everyone loving Bizarro on Bizarroworld but he's being a jerk about it. Fun story that sometimes gets bizarro speak messed up, but can be forgiven for making fun of JMS.

-A Supergirl story about trying to go on a date with her first boyfriend, but hijinks ensue and because she can't be open about her identity they break up. A little sappy at the end but great fluid art.

-The Lois and Lana story which is about finding a lost ID

-A Superboy story about being bored when there's nothing to beat up. Just a nice boys will be boys story.

I really wish more 80 page giants and specials would be like this, it kind of spoiled me now.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »

Tell me more.

About MODOK, I mean, not kissing Jeff Parker on the mouth.

(You can tell me about kissing Jeff Parker on the mouth in a PM :winky:)
    Basically MODOK used a supercomputer made out of clones of his own brains to run his Scorched Earth thing.

However, he kept one clone hidden away from the others and let it retain and grow into higher functions. While he would never admit it, he realized the Hulks could beat him and made a contingency. Scorched Earth was just a distraction so MODOK 2.0 could be born safely.

Though he is a clone, the new MODOK is quite a bit more...sane than the old one. He actually tells the LMD's to stop being worried around him, he won't slaughter them for the slightest bad news. He is thinking the big picture. Why should a Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing waste his time on killing his own minions when he could be plotting to kill millions.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, so is it just me or does this panel look awful? Is it just this panel? What is the deal?
    superman2011-80pageD-Copy.jpg

Langly on
    edited February 2011
    That art does look very bleh

I hate when an artist tries for realism but can't quite get it, it's a lot more annoying than a stylized, well...style.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    no no

when I asked for more like it I didn't mean not shit

I meant lois and lana doing awesome things

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Lois Lane was really prominent in Joe Kelly's Action Comics run, from #760-810. I'm thinking of 772-773, where Lois travels the world to find who tried to poison Superman. Gail Simone's short Action run from 827-835 is also good with the Lois love. The best quick example is Superman Birthright, where Lois is great throughout.

Lana was a supporting character in Sterling Gates Supergirl run from #34-59, and for a bit in Busiek's Superman run she was the President of Lexcorp. You can see that in the Camelot Falls collection.

TexiKen on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You should avoid the Superman/Batman arc 'Kryptonite' (#44-49 I believe) from around the same time, unless you want to see Lana Lang detonate a bunch of Kryptonite bombs around the earth so as to flood the atmosphere with Kryptonite dust.

That was very bad.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited February 2011
    Wow, that's not cool Lana.

That's as bad as Chuck Austen's Action Comics run when he tried to make Lana steal Clark away from Lois and she came across as a crazy stalker.

TexiKen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    man, what is the deal with Chuck Austen

Centipede Damascus on
    edited February 2011
    He was the worst writer who lucked his way into major comics in decades

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He's not that bad

But yeah he is not great from what I have seen

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    No

no he is that bad

He thought it was a good idea for Angel to have sex with an underage girl in front of her entire family

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    No

no he is that bad

He thought it was a good idea for Angel to have sex with an underage girl in front of her entire family

They were from the south, they probably didn't even blink.

Caveman Paws on