As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Tourneys

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    uc4life wrote: »
    Is there going to be an Internet connection in the BYOC room? I dont want to play WoW or anything, but checking my e-mail and posting here to tease all the non-PAXer would be nice

Yes

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    will there be topless dancers?

Shade on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shade wrote: »

No, but if someone wants to bring one in as a guest I may have to allow it :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2007
    uc4life wrote: »
    Is there going to be an Internet connection in the BYOC room? I dont want to play WoW or anything...
    Too bad, because you should be able to.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Judging from the conversation thus far, it looks like WoW didn't make the tourney list this year. I hope I'm wrong because it was a lot of fun last year. I'll have to start getting used to playing CS:S on my newly acquired, but a few years old, Presario x1030 p-p-p-powered by a-a-a Radeon 9200 mobility (seeing as I'm going by plane instead of car to save enough money to make the trip do'able).

Unless anyone has any ideas on how to box up my dual xeon 2.8 beast so that the airline "throwers" can't break it (mmmm, ballistics plastic).

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    We'll be having another WoW tournament fairly similar to what we had last year...again, it'll be BYOC only though, and relatively casual.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yoshamano wrote: »
    Judging from the conversation thus far, it looks like WoW didn't make the tourney list this year. I hope I'm wrong because it was a lot of fun last year. I'll have to start getting used to playing CS:S on my newly acquired, but a few years old, Presario x1030 p-p-p-powered by a-a-a Radeon 9200 mobility (seeing as I'm going by plane instead of car to save enough money to make the trip do'able).

Unless anyone has any ideas on how to box up my dual xeon 2.8 beast so that the airline "throwers" can't break it (mmmm, ballistics plastic).

There will be another BYOC only wow tourney.
    No worries.

BigRed on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    We'll be having another WoW tournament fairly similar to what we had last year...again, it'll be BYOC only though, and relatively casual.

Awesome. I won't feel so bad getting schooled in CS:S :P

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Will the internet connection be as locked down as it was in 2005? I need to telnet out to certain ports and it was hell last time I made the trip down.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    GeeCee wrote: »
    Will the internet connection be as locked down as it was in 2005? I need to telnet out to certain ports and it was hell last time I made the trip down.

Most likely.
    But if you talk to the network guys at pax they might be able to open the ports for your IP if its really needed... No promises though.

BigRed on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, okay. It's just like an IRC sort of thing, nothing malicious. :)

GeeCee on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No, it won't be nearly as locked down as it was in 2005. We had a 1.5megabit connection for that year, spread out among a couple hundred computers...it was pretty rough.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

ok, I need to call every strip club in seattle and book a date, where the hell are the yellow pages when you need them?

Shade on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

ok, I need to call every strip club in seattle and book a date, where the hell are the yellow pages when you need them?

-_- Not everyone WANTS topless dancers you guys ;P

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm assuming that ET: Quake Wars is being cancelled as a tourney game, due to the fact that there was a recent delay pushing the game back until fall at least (or quarter 3 anyways). That said, is it gonna switch over to BF2?

Profs on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

Oh come on! It will be fun!!!!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Profs wrote: »
    I'm assuming that ET: Quake Wars is being cancelled as a tourney game, due to the fact that there was a recent delay pushing the game back until fall at least (or quarter 3 anyways). That said, is it gonna switch over to BF2?

Already covered. See page 6 in this thread.

What's your source on the release date pushback? The last I heard, it was July 2th. A delay to Fall would be unsurprising, though.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    slacktron wrote: »
    Profs wrote: »

Already covered. See page 6 in this thread.

What's your source on the release date pushback? The last I heard, it was July 2th. A delay to Fall would be unsurprising, though.

If it was going to be out in July it should have gone gold around the middle-end of last month.

BigRed on
  • Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    iD software, or Splash Damage (one of the two) announced it would be coming quarter 3 in a press release, and to remain optimistic, all the news sites and gamestop are listing the release date for as soon as Q3 starts, which is not what was put out by any means...which sucks. And sorry to have not red pg 6.

Profs on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Quake Wars is out as an official tournament. It's something I'd absolutely love to have, but I really don't think it'll be out by PAX. If it is, I would be very interested in doing a BYOC tournament with it.

Speaking of which, we're compiling a list of assorted BYOC only activities, and we'd like some ideas. I'm especially interested in games that are fairly casual, lend themselves to fairly quick competitions, and accessible (ie, cheap if not free, and quick installs). Mods are also fair game.

Here's a list of some games that we're currently planning on featuring:

DEFCON
    Flatout 2
    UT2k4
    Typing of the Dead
    Baboviolent
    Doom (the original)
    Garry's Mod
    A Tower Defense web-game

That should give you an idea of the direction we're looking at. If you've got any fun ideas, let 'er rip!

[Edit: I should probably clarify, this is in addition to the official tournaments, not replacements.]

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    "See who can make Dave's head explode first"
    Or
    "Guess how long until Dave loses his voice"

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

fine I'll call chip'n dales too, happy?:P

Shade on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    Quake Wars is out as an official tournament. It's something I'd absolutely love to have, but I really don't think it'll be out by PAX. If it is, I would be very interested in doing a BYOC tournament with it.

Speaking of which, we're compiling a list of assorted BYOC only activities, and we'd like some ideas. I'm especially interested in games that are fairly casual, lend themselves to fairly quick competitions, and accessible (ie, cheap if not free, and quick installs). Mods are also fair game.

Here's a list of some games that we're currently planning on featuring:

DEFCON
    Flatout 2
    UT2k4
    Typing of the Dead
    Baboviolent
    Doom (the original)
    Garry's Mod
    A Tower Defense web-game

That should give you an idea of the direction we're looking at. If you've got any fun ideas, let 'er rip!

[Edit: I should probably clarify, this is in addition to the official tournaments, not replacements.]

Oooooh....Desktop Tower Defense. Shooting from the hip here. How about 3 games of desktop tower defense in different modes (lets say normal/hard, The 100, and one of the maze or turret restricted modes). The winner is the person with the highest score total, or the best average score.

Not sure if this falls too far outside the scope of casual, but since we're brainstorming. Diablo 2. Two (or three) person teams in a race to drop diablo (or any of the other chapter bosses). Probably too easy to cheat, but it sounds fun in principal.

Plasma Pong http://www.plasmapong.com/ single-elimination tourney. Something quick enough that the PC freeplay people could get in on.

BZFlag http://www.bzflag.org/ Sky's the limit with that one.

Kitty Canon, lawlz

Ok, I'm done for now (and probably done period).

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Please, if there is a God, let RTS tournaments come from the following list:

Company of Heroes
    Dawn of War
    Warcraft 3: FT

NOOOOOOOOOO C&C3 please, that game turned out awful.

Also, Defense of the Ancients isn't a game :)

Bonus points if somebody ressurects Age of Mythology: Titans :)

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    what? c&c3 is awesome

BigRed on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

fine I'll call chip'n dales too, happy?:P

No thank you, I'd rather not have some scary muscle-bound weirdos g-stringed crotch on my face while I'm trying to game plzkthnx

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Lots of great ideas...
    That's a lot of great ideas!

David Coffman on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I can second plasma pong. I just wish we could have it setup with dials instead of of mice! The way atari intended it to be!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, PlasmaPong is SO in.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I can second plasma pong. I just wish we could have it setup with dials instead of of mice! The way atari intended it to be!

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=267

and I have paddles too :winky:

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Company of Heroes
    Dawn of War

YES! Please DoW!!!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Do these work with plasma pong?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    what? c&c3 is awesome

Damn straight it is!

Shade on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Do these work with plasma pong?

Not sure, I'll have to plunk down the cash for the adapter and try it.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tonkka wrote: »

Company of Heroes
    Dawn of War

YES! Please DoW!!!

WAAAGH!!!

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Waaagh is right. I'm completely pumped for the game, but sort of bummed they don't have a Lizardmen army. How can I serve the Old Ones? Maybe in an expansion :(

Edit: I am of course talking about the upcoming MMO, not dawn of war. I was just reminded of the recent beta announcement by your "waaagh".

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    More infos on BYOC stuff, if you didn't notice, is here.

Tournament rules have been finalized, but there's still one last game that isn't my place to announce. If it doesn't get announced soon, I'll throw up rules for the remaining 4.

Namely:

CSS
    BF2
    WoW
    HL2: DM

We'll have an additional RTS tournament for BYOC only, I'm looking for you guys to pick what game you'd like to use for that. The three main choices, I think, are Supreme Commander, Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes. All three excellent games, and each would make for a fine tournament.

Hopefully you'll understand soon why all three have not been made "official" tournaments.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    For FPS games it should probably be required to play on a non-BYOC system. Just like Quakecon and stuff, you have to use the systems supplied. I think this makes it far less likely anyone will claim anybody did any cheating, since it would be basically impossible.

Of course you should be welcome to your own mouse and keyboard. I just think that's a better overall environment. Discodave, don't you remember the 400-ML when some people caught 2 guys wall and aim hacking in CS (some people walked by their PC and saw it in action, Red probably remembers), and they almost got kicked out of the LAN? Surprised they didn't, but anyway...

Since people are coming from all over the place, you can't trust everyone with their own computers when prizes are on the line. Just saying.

Generally I feel pretty uneasy going up against a group of less-than-18-year-olds that nobody has ever met (called team pwn), and they are suddenly the top of everyone, with headshots all around, and nobody is ever able to hide from them. In my many years of playing CS especially, this has happened too many times.

I think it is just an overall better environment to use standardized equipment with high stakes.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    For tournaments people are already required to use a tourney computer. They can use their own keyboard/mouse/headset as long as no drivers need to be installed and the computer doesnt have to be restarted.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yea, all the official tournaments will be using dedicated tournament computers.

BYOC only stuff, the prizes aren't generally going to be as significant and for the most part, the tournaments will be a little more casual.

David Coffman on
This discussion has been closed.