As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Latest O'Keefe sting backfires hilariously (again)

2»

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I'm just curious as to why no one is suing this guy and Breitbart for defamation. I know they have deep pockets, but given what they've done, surely there's a lawyer with their eyes on a good payout.

Breitbart could threaten a failed lawsuit has to pay all lawyer fees, and they both enjoy bad publicity, so I don't see how even fishing for a fast settlement would work.

I'm no lawyer, but don't counter-suits pertaining to the same matter usually get handled together in a single proceeding? And payment of lawyer fees isn't a given, but usually something that the judge would decide upon.

Either way, if enough lawsuits are filed against a person and at least one wins, it would highly influence the others and any in the future, especially if they come before the same judge or judges.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Payment of the other parties legal fees is pretty rare. The judge has to basically find the entire case completely without merit.

I suppose with such a partisan case the chances of that are higher than normal.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's also ridiculously hard to sue a newspaper for libel and slander, which is a good thing for the most part

Robman on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    O'Keefe trying to paint anyone else as a racist is pretty sad.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know what else can be said about this shit other than that O'Keefe is just a jackass.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh hey, look. It looks like this is being used used as a spearhead to defund planned parenthood.

It's only time before PP attacks hit the right wing news circuit and becomes the new bogeyman raised in ACORN's shadow.

Let's hope people aren't fooled again.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh hey, look. It looks like this is being used used as a spearhead to defund planned parenthood.

It's only time before PP attacks hit the right wing news circuit and becomes the new bogeyman raised in ACORN's shadow.

Let's hope people aren't fooled again.

Fortunately PP is a lot more politically savvy than many of the right's boogeymen.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How exactly did they try to pass off a 22 year-old as a 13-year old?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They probably just hired Alessandra Torresani from Caprica.

Edit: Ooops, fixed. I got mixed up.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Zooey Deschanel wasn't on Caprica. You're thinking of Alessandra Torresani.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There should be strictly enforced laws that if I am having a conversation and someone is recording me they need to tell me who they are, where the recording will end up, and that I am being recorded. This guy is mis-representing himself and profiting from it, letting him get away with this sets a bad precedent for society.

No there shouldn't.

"Unauthorized" recordings are the best tool the public has in exposing many forms of misbehavior that society has a legit interest in stopping. Police brutality is one notable example.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Several states have made recording police in any way without their consent illegal.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Several states have made recording police in any way without their consent illegal.

I think the consensus on the forum is that that is a fucking horrible idea.

Edit: It does seem like O'Keefe wasn't involved with this as all though, just people who had worked with him before and inspired by him.

Edit 2: The clinic manager has been fired

Neaden on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, I can understand claiming to be a pimp....but saying you are running an under-aged sex trafficking ring, how do you know "murdering/maiming/crippling a pimp of children" IS NOT on the list of things the staff member is willing to go jail for?

None of his other crap was really as.... I mean... this person had some medical training and knew places.... air in the bloodstream, hide the needle marks and no questions asked.

WHY!?!?!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't get it, so did the clinic manager actually do anything wrong or did it just look bad in some edited footage? I mean, I don't imagine he did anything but try and extract information and then report the incident up the chain. Or alternatively, give pro-advice on the defense that provided they can get people into their clinics, they can actually do something to really help them.

Also, the risk of having the fuck murdered out of you strikes me as an actual danger here as well.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't get it, so did the clinic manager actually do anything wrong or did it just look bad in some edited footage? I mean, I don't imagine he did anything but try and extract information and then report the incident up the chain. Or alternatively, give pro-advice on the defense that provided they can get people into their clinics, they can actually do something to really help them.
    Also, the risk of having the fuck murdered out of you strikes me as an actual danger here as well.

That seems like the most logical thing for him/her to do. But would look the worst on those piece of shit edited videos.

"Sure, just bring your underage sex worker in here tomorrow at 9 am. No, of course we won't have the cops waiting to sodomize you with a baton."

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

This is not what I was expecting as a "top of the page" post when I clicked on this thread. :)

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

This is not what I was expecting as a "top of the page" post when I clicked on this thread. :)

Yeah, bad TOTP, mitigated by the fact that it mentions two lovely ladies. :D

wwtMask on