As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Killzone 3] Patches. Patches. PATCHES!

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn, game isn't out yet for almost a month, beta hasn't even started yet, but reviews are POURING in. 8-10s typically, there was a 7 which was kinda retarded and was removed from the GameRankings listings for being such.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Beta's up in the store under new releases for US PSN. 802 Megajigs. Took all of 15 minutes to download, time to get my shoot on.

JAEF on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Apparently beta download is already up for Euro regions.

Yeah it's been up about 7 hours. When you login you get a region select so there is no reason why people can't download it on a euro account.

Gah, If I would have known that, I would have started the download before I went to work. Bollocks.

Sorry I could have said earlier if I had known, I thought it was held over from yesterday's psn release because it was worldwide timed.

If it's any consolation, the download is only 850MB so it's pretty fast.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn, game isn't out yet for almost a month, beta hasn't even started yet, but reviews are POURING in. 8-10s typically, there was a 7 which was kinda retarded and was removed from the GameRankings listings for being such.

From those very early reviews, it sounds like the Single player is sort of average and uninspiring, but the multiplayer is even better than before.

This is not an unexpected outcome. And considering that I played through Killzone 2 single player exactly one time and then spent the next two months buried deep in the multiplayer, not too much of a concern either.

@Adda: No worries mate :)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Beta's up in the store under new releases for US PSN. 802 Megajigs. Took all of 15 minutes to download, time to get my shoot on.

Anxiously waiting your thoughts... I know you were a big fan of the previous one, and your likes/dislikes were pretty much inline with mine. Which means, I hope you like it.

DietarySupplement on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whee, downloading the beta now. Considering how terrible I was at KZ2 this'll be horrendous.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited February 2011
    Beta has clan and group invite support which means it's easier than ever to play with PA duders. The Wanghast is reborn, PM me with your PSN name to get a clan invite.

Also unfortunate news: Until you hit level 5ish and get armor you're going to die very, very quickly. Get dat armor. Get it.

JAEF on
    edited February 2011
    More unfortunate news is that I seem to be unable to connect to multiplayer D:

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Have you tried a different region's servers maybe? Edit: Looks like US servers are taking a bit of a dump

JAEF on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Downloaded and played a bot match just now and almost didn't come back to work.

Control issues GONE. Day one purchase.

EDIT: Also PSN name is in sig if anyone wants to kill mans in a zone with me.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It plays really well, like a superior version of KZ2 in all aspects. It still feels like Killzone but it just seems to play better. Feel free to add CorriganX if you want someone to play with late at night and early afternoons. :p

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    edited February 2011
    I'll post some of my thoughts:
    Movement: Weighted movement is still in. Turning is a bit easier and smoother but your sprinting is severely limited by stamina and switching directions (strafe left into strafe right) as well as backpeddling have a heavy inertia cost. Game maintains mostly the same feel of movement as KZ2
    Crosshairs: Weapon weight significantly lighter. If it weren't for the way movement is handled this would feel like a CoD game. Dead zones are much smaller if not nonexistent.
    Leveling: The level system is handled much better. Instead of unlocking certain classes at certain levels, all classes are available from the start, you simply unlock improved passives and new abilities or primary/secondary weapons for each of them individually.

Not a huge fan of this snow map, can't wait to play the classics.

JAEF on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks JAEF, that's awesome to hear. I'll get to downloading tonight and send an invite when I'm up and running.

DietarySupplement on
    edited February 2011
    I'll post some of my thoughts:
    Movement: Weighted movement is still in. Turning is a bit easier and smoother but your sprinting is severely limited by stamina and switching directions (strafe left into strafe right) as well as backpeddling have a heavy inertia cost. Game maintains mostly the same feel of movement as KZ2
    Crosshairs: Weapon weight significantly lighter. If it weren't for the way movement is handled this would feel like a CoD game. Dead zones are much smaller if not nonexistent.
    Leveling: The level system is handled much better. Instead of unlocking certain classes at certain levels, all classes are available from the start, you simply unlock improved passives and new abilities or primary/secondary weapons for each of them individually.

Not a huge fan of this snow map, can't wait to play the classics.

Salamun Market should be pretty epic with Walkers. I was never a huge fan of Blood Gracht (mostly because with 32 players felt so cramped), but maybe the 16 player limit for Guerrilla Warfare mode will improve it a bit.

I'm going to miss Helghan Industries though. Outside of Saluman, that was my favorite KZ2 map.

Thanks for the report Jaef and others!

CarbonFire on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good to hear. I started the downloaded, then played Black Ops for three hours, so it was paused.

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2011
    Peeves so far: Non-headshot deaths seem a bit too fast, even with armor. Seems like everything does more damage. Only one map for the beta, and I don't like the positions that some mission objectives are in.

JAEF on
    edited February 2011
    I stupidly only played this a little when I was in the closed beta but maybe as I had no one to team with. Just played some rounds with a friend and it really is some good quality multi.

I played a lot of MAG and still love that game, then was convinced to get black ops by friends and really didn't dig it. This is smaller than mag but it feels a lot tighter than blops did and all the weight and movement seems enjoyable compared to KZ2.

Been rocking the Infiltrator and it really suits my play style, rock in and break some faces and if I get spotted then blast out and make another run in. I used to think the scripted/locked melee kills were bad but they feel right and friendlies can shoot you off so it's not a cheap kill. Ties you up as much as the person you are attacking.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Peeves so far: Non-headshot deaths seem a bit too fast, even with armor. Seems like everything does more damage. Only one map for the beta, and I don't like the positions that some mission objectives are in.

I agree on this, weapon damage does seem a bit high even through armour. I've got to the point where I realise I just always need to keep on the move when in the open and at least that way I may get a glancing hit rather than full contact and death.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Ah yes the new melee kills are a double-edged knife.. you can still kill someone with a weapon swing, but if you're close enough when you initiate a melee attack you lock into a short scripted brutal melee kill. The player doesn't die until the action visually completes (knife in eye, neck snapped, etc.) so it's possible to kill an enemy off your squadmate before they actually kill them. Happened to me a few times and it's a bit disorienting.

Also secondary abilities like medic res and engineer repair have been streamlined so that instead of taking out your tool and firing it like you would any other weapon you just click the appropriate directional button when within range of a proper target for that ability and it engages/fires the tool automatically.

JAEF on
    edited February 2011
    Are there unlocks in the beta, or does everything start out unlocked from the start?

CarbonFire on
  • The Truffle ShuffleThe Truffle Shuffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You have to unlock things, but it looks like everything is unlocked when playing with bots.

The Truffle Shuffle on
  • KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gamerankings has this at 88% at the moment. From what I've gathered skimming over a couple of reviews (don't want to spoil anything for myself, just get some impressions), the campaign is a little 'meh'. Somewhat disappointing, but I'm still psyched as hell for this. Should get some time with the beta tomorrow.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played a game with bots and was very pleased. I didn't play any KZ2 MP, so I didn't know what to expect, but aside from some confusing objectives at times, I really liked it. Gonna play it with people tomorrow, maybe.

Sangheili91 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So can I talk about Killzone 2 in here? Because I just started it and it's pretty cool so far. The controls aren't too bad, but they have like a second delay which can be killer, but I'm taking someone's advice and hip-firing a lot.

urahonky on
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just watched GT's review, and I think I will be picking this game up when it hits. Speaking of release dates, when does this bad boy drop?

Sangheili91 on
  • The Truffle ShuffleThe Truffle Shuffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Feb. 22nd in North America and Feb. 25th in Europe

The Truffle Shuffle on
    edited February 2011
    The quality of the multi-player will determine if I buy this game or not.

DouglasDanger on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They really did up the speed of the controls. Caught me off guard.

Reminded me how much I liked KZ2 mp though. The different classes and changing obectives keep me from getting bored. Will be getting it for sure now.

Kyougu on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So yeah a few more bot matches down and this is just excellent. One of my buddies really didn't like KZ2 so it's going to take some doing to get him to pick this up. Pretty sure this beta will do that.

Except I'm having one problem. Every time I select Multiplayer I get a network error. This wasn't happening this afternoon.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    They fixed the controls!? For wallet-related purposes, I was kind of hoping to skip it for those reasons ala LBP2, but it's sounding more and more like I might just break the 3DS piggy bank and go for some of these early 2011 games instead. This, Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex 3...yeesh, what a start to the year.

Darlan on
    edited February 2011
    I can't wait to try this out tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ8KaF75-XU&feature=related

DouglasDanger on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hupNgpPhEmk

A little video with commentary that I made earlier for fun, while playing for the first time.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Huh, I kinda like the cutscenes that have your names in them. Kinda cool.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited February 2011
    Darlan wrote: »
    They fixed the controls!? For wallet-related purposes, I was kind of hoping to skip it for those reasons ala LBP2, but it's sounding more and more like I might just break the 3DS piggy bank and go for some of these early 2011 games instead. This, Dead Space 2, Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex 3...yeesh, what a start to the year.

The Dualshock 3 controls definitely seem tighter and more responsive. Not sure if there's COD levels of aim assist though.

Now as for Move controls....

CarbonFire on
    edited February 2011
    I hate the Move Controls. So much. Feels like having a lazy cursor that I have to drag around the screen in order for it to respond to my movements. I set the dead zone to 0 and the crosshair still goes almost to the edge of the screen before my view changes. Played with a ton of different sensitivity configurations, couldn't get it anywhere near where it felt like I was changing my view with my controller, rather than dragging a cursor around.

I'm not sure if they were afraid it'd be TOO accurate, or if tying the actual view directly to the move cursor would make people sick, or what. I found that half the time I would be shooting guys at the very periphery of my view, and my view wouldn't change. Also the fact that despite me changing it in settings, L1/L2 would not swap making it really hard to aim down the sights (though that may be better with the Nav Controller, L2 on the DS3 is poop)

So basically it still feels like a light-gun game in a shooter, despite it being accurate enough to trump stick movement. :x

CarbonFire on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah turning just feels off. I have the move anyway, so I'll give it a shot in release and see if it's any different but for now the way turning is handled makes playing multiplayer competitively nearly impossible with the move. Especially given the way KZ maps are laid out, with tons of left-right splits and stair 180's.

JAEF on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah turning just feels off. I have the move anyway, so I'll give it a shot in release and see if it's any different but for now the way turning is handled makes playing multiplayer competitively nearly impossible with the move. Especially given the way KZ maps are laid out, with tons of left-right splits and stair 180's.

The only way I was able to get the screen to move quickly was to crank up the cursor sensitivity (not as much the turning sensitivity) which makes the movement fast enough, but gives no precision towards the center of the screen at all.

Blech :?

They need to get over the concept that "oooh you're pointing INTO the screen!!!" and just accept that it can also be a higher fidelity thumbstick that you hold in your hand. Then it would be perfect.

CarbonFire on
    edited February 2011
    Move button should just be a turn toggle. Hold it to ignore/lock firing cursor and massively boost turn sensitivity.

JAEF on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Move is fun and all, but after playing a little bit with bots, I don't think it will be replacing the dual shock for me. Oh and waggling against bots for melee kills nearly drove me to put my foot through the TV. The bots are just too good with melee. I would run right at one waggling like a mad retard and then the moment I was within range, I'd already be dead. It was just pure bot cheat and I was all like..

RedRage.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not overly surprised. My problem with Wii FPSes was never really about the accuracy of the pointing so much as "man, turning with this thing sucks."

Darlan on