As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotels

superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
edited April 2006 in PAX Archive
Now that Gabe's posted the hotel information for PAX on the main page, I have a reason to make a thread. (YAY) Apologies if this is all redundant.

Both hotels are $85/night.
Red Lion will be the hotel for the 24 hour tabletop gaming, as well as the offical PAX party on Saturday.

No town meeting would be complete without a graph or something of the sort. So, I went on GoogleMaps and got this to show the distance between the Meydenbauer Center and the two hotels for PAX.

[img]Http://home.comcast.net/~superjoe/paxmap.gif[/img]

I was wondering what any previous PAXers thought of the Red Lion; I've heard much about the Doubletree and wacky hijinks, but not so much about the Red Lion. Just wanted some opinions.

IlOZ6.png
superjoe on

• Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2006
    The Red Lion has a worse exterior but waaay better rooms. That's my take on it. :)

Oh and weird, that graph has the Meydenbauer location wrong. It's actually on the corner of 112th and 6th.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    The Red Lion has a worse exterior but waaay better rooms. That's my take on it. :)

Ok, I have one other question. Will there be a tv in the table top section for classic console night/fun? Or is this something I have to bring my gear along again?

One last thing, will they give you a hotel room number? that drove me nuts at the doubletree/hilton.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I think your graphic is off a bit with the ticks..Meydenbauer offers thier own graphic showing the surrounding businesses and hotels.

parkingMap.gif

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I have to admit...

I'm kinda sad that the tabletop gaming and party won't be at the double tree....

that being said....

FUCK YA... getting a room at the doubletree!!!

:D

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Stupid fucking double posts....

SmallLady on
  • Options
    superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    So it is. Thanks. ::fixes image:: That works, I suppose.

Since you're here, Khoo - when a room is 'for 2 adults' does that mean 'you get two beds' or 'if you have more than two people staying in this room we're making you pay more'?

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    same with all hotels they only "allow" 2 but just dont tell them more are staying and they wont ask questions ;)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2006
    you can request a "double," for two people, meaning you get separate beds. But if you don't you'll get one king.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2006
    i'm torn on which hotel to stay at now

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Having stayed in both hotels, personally, I'd have to say that the Doubletree is way WAY nicer.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    i made a reservation at the doubletree

since i am staying at the doubletree, logic dictates that is where all the cool kids and fun will be

Borfase on
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    i was leaning towards the red lion
    closer, and the space where tabletop gaming is

yep

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    it's closer to the meydenbauer by about 5 inches

Borfase on
  • Options
    flatrabbitflatrabbit King of Toast That place, over there.Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Yeah that first map gives the impression that they are seperated, but really they are right next to each other. and with the shuttles every few minutes distance really isn't that big a deal. The only real advantage to the red lion over the 2xTree is if you are there for the tabletop.

flatrabbit on
    --"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    i made a reservation at the doubletree

since i am staying at the doubletree, logic dictates that is where all the cool kids and fun will be

True that!!

I'm at the Doubletree with SmallLady and PolaGo so far. We'll see who else joins the shenanigans.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited February 2006
    i'm sorry trillian but i clearly stated that the *cool* kids will be at the doubletree

you're just going to have to find a room at a different hotel

it breaks my heart to say that, but that's just how the cookie crumbles

Borfase on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    Red lion has free internet and mini fridges in the rooms, Doubletree has $5 for 12 hours of internet access, no mini fridges, and nothing is free.. at all.. nothing, I am serious. I have a pic of a $4 "Complimentary" bottle of water.

PS I am staying at the Red Lion this year.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    the red lion is so much closer, guys. i remember.like, a whole block or something

it's not like i ever hung out in my room, anyways

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    if by a "whole block" you mean about 5 inches then you are correct

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Borfase wrote:
    i'm sorry trillian but i clearly stated that the *cool* kids will be at the doubletree

you're just going to have to find a room at a different hotel

it breaks my heart to say that, but that's just how the cookie crumbles

Borfase, it is painful how you are obviously so much cooler than me. I'm going to go sit in a corner and listen to Linkin Park.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited February 2006
    Google Earth is the best

Yes a whole block, or maybe the length of the Red Lion. So the Red Lion is technically closer. Personally I'll be staying at home (15min away), when and if I manage to leave the MBC grounds at all, so really I'm not the best person to say which place is best. From what ElderCat said above the amenities at the Red Lion seem to be above par anyways.

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    it's ok, trillian

some day with a lot of practice you can be cooler than me

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    robert, go harass the 2xtree people into making the internet free for that weekend

Borfase on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    If someone would let me stay in their room I'd gladly share the cost.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    If someone would let me stay in their room I'd gladly share the cost.
    The PAX 2006 Room-Share Thread

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    NephirijNephirij Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    dammit, now im torn. i want to stay at the doubletree with all the so called "cool people", but im willing to bet that few of my friends will want to stay at the red lion because of the tabletop. dammit, im so conf=used. :(

Nephirij on
  • Options
    Puerto RockPuerto Rock Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Choose Choiciness!

Puerto Rock on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Woot!

Now booked at the doubletree... :D

it's not like we can't stumble drunkenly 50ft to the redlion

SmallLady on
  • Options
    EskoEsko Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2006
    i'll probably be staying at the doubletree since that seems to be the place most people will be at....I guess i'll call tomorrow and make a reservation....

btw wheres the update? i dont see that anything has changed on the PAX webpage....

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Esko wrote:
    btw wheres the update? i dont see that anything has changed on the PAX webpage....
    Gabe posted some stuff on the main page yesterday.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/02/08#1139417400

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    oh ok....i was looking at the PAX page not the main Penny Arcade page....

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    yea the PAX page is curiously bare so far.......<cough>Khoo</cough>

flatrabbit on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Nephirij wrote:
    dammit, now im torn. i want to stay at the doubletree with all the so called "cool people", but im willing to bet that few of my friends will want to stay at the red lion because of the tabletop. dammit, im so conf=used. :(

yeah I was wanting to stay at the Red Lion since it was the official one but since most people seem to say Doubletree is nicer I'll stay there but hang out at the Red Lion for the PAX party and whatnot...

Esko on
    Esko.jpg
  • Options
    patches.patches. Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    I'm not sure where I'd go either.

The fun looks to be happening at the double tree, but there's free stuff at the red lion. I dont really care about the tabletop gaming but, I mean, seriously, free.

patches. on
    hhhhhhh.jpg
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Having stayed in both hotels, personally, I'd have to say that the Doubletree is way WAY nicer.

Oh yeah, it's the nicest hotel I've ever been to. There's these big, warm chewy chocolate chip cookies at the counter AND pillows that say "Sweet Dreams" on them. Now THAT is courtesy.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

Oh yeah, it's the nicest hotel I've ever been to. There's these big, warm chewy chocolate chip cookies at the counter AND pillows that say "Sweet Dreams" on them. Now THAT is courtesy.

Those cookies were delicious!!

Trillian on

• Options
    edited February 2006
    the champagne brunch is magical

i don't care if it's $20, it's fucking delicious and perfect for a hangover

Borfase on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2006
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

Free internets is more courteous.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited February 2006
    Legacy wrote:
    QuizMaster wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

Free internets is more courteous.

PAX has free internets. PAX does not have free cookies.

Trillian on

• Options
    edited February 2006
    I got free cookies......

flatrabbit on