As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are people still on? I can get on in like 10 minutes.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah still plenty people on. I'm on stand-by, waiting to see if my connection gets better.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Yeah still plenty people on. I'm on stand-by, waiting to see if my connection gets better.

You just have ping or are you briefly disconnecting from the entire internet every 5-15 minutes?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pinging the server gives me 200-250ms ping (I normally get 95-115, with Megacable I used to get 50, I'm with Telmex now) and I also get randomly disconnected, but not at any set interval. I'll get disconnected maybe 2 or 3 times in the night.

Just from the server, not Vent or anything else. Everyone just freezes in place for 10-15 seconds then I'm sent back to the main screen with "You've been disconnected from the server" (Not from EA)

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Me and Ebo

Panama Canal

BMP

8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMP10siqqgU

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pinging the server gives me 200-250ms ping (I normally get 95-115, with Megacable I used to get 50, I'm with Telmex now) and I also get randomly disconnected, but not at any set interval. I'll get disconnected maybe 2 or 3 times in the night.

Just from the server, not Vent or anything else. Everyone just freezes in place for 10-15 seconds then I'm sent back to the main screen with "You've been disconnected from the server" (Not from EA)

You seem to have the mexican version of Comcast. I am truley sorry for your lots.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Great games tonight, love and loss (got engaged to AN-94, then unlocked the M16 and had to let it go because i loved it or something like that), and much newfound appreciation for the 40mm shotgun and M93.

If you don't use the M93, you should give it a good try sometime. It's like carrying a tiny, extended release shotgun in your pocket.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Bah. I'm on Megacable and get like 90ms but I disconnect from everything.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got a handful of crazy ping spikes tonight. Not sure what was up with that.

But I also got about 4 more bronze stars with the SVU, VSS, Thompson, and Mortars.

Got 5 people that were clumped around a fence reviving each other with a single strike. It was glorious.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »

Bah. I'm on Megacable and get like 90ms but I disconnect from everything.

That's the only thing I like about Telmex, I can load any page. With Megacable I would constantly get "Connection to the server was reset while loading" for everything. And Youtube is imposible to watch. This 1mb dsl connection loads vids much quicker than the 2mb service I had with cable.

Also, for some reason, people have been getting upgraded from their 1mb to 4mb for no extra cost. I just hate how it's random and it's not official or anything. My parents have been rocking the 4mb connection for 2 months now, and they barely use the net at home.

Edit: Ah but my connection did stabilize at around 12, so I got on the server and we had quite nice matches.

I loved the part where we got 3 tanks to the 2nd point in Arica harbour, the 3 tanks rolling down the hill must have been a scary sight! Helped us take those points really easily.

Then after rolling the pub team so many times, I get disconnected (3 times in an hour) and come back to the pub team, with 3 or 4 more PA players. We then proceed to beat the PA team 3 times in a row. HEH. We did have 3 level 50 pubs in our team though.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's their reveal trailer? For reals?

How amazingly pointless, even for a teaser.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Real time signal giving and flying planes through helicopters.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's the teaser trailer for the upcoming teaser trailer! I'm not prepared to rule out another layer of teasing, either.

Darlan on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    this is at the same time maddeningly insubstantial and illogically exciting.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it is fairly reminiescient of a terminator trailer

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I guess Jets are back ^_^

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So a PR paragraph from the Battlefield blog, which is a few orders of magnitude more meaningful than that trailer:
    Battlefield 3 is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch.

I guess some of the more jaded mofos might like a couple things they read.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fuck yeah co-op campaign.

... who the fuck uses prone except for douche snipers?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jets.

Unless they provide another means to taking out jets besides well, other jets, fuck that.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to fly my jet into the first proned sniper that I see.

HEADSHOT.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Prone better be fucking slow to go into instead of hitting the dirt with the force of a dropped anvil.

Certain things will be much better with prone included, particularly if the destruction is improved significantly.
    Blasting/shooting out a bottom section of a wall and using prone to shoot out from underneath the gap could be misused. Using prone to crawl through a forest on an approach would be a much better use of the function. Crouching results in very identifiable silhouttes. Literally the only way to do stealth in BC2 is to have all the enemies far enough away so they don't hear your footsteps and just out of sight.

Also, going back to things said pages before about jets:
    The only feasible AA I can see for maps with both helicopters AND jets will be vehicle class specific weaponry. Shells coming from cannons that can be used only on helicopters and unable to hit jets, and guided missiles that have to be locked onto jets that can't be used on choppers. NPC AA is fucking pathetic or totally overpowered. Having manned AA is both powerful and balanced. With manned AA you have the advantage of being able to call every shot yourself, but at the same time, you have a disadvantage due to human error.

Campaign could be interesting. I'd like a hotswap function like on the console version of BF2.

Warcry on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sad that "straight out of the box" is somehow now an attractive term for a game. Remember when it was expected that all game content would be available straight out of the box?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warcry on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm. Co-op campaign sounds interesting. Kinda wish jets would never show up again, but whatever.

EDIT: Holy shit, what is with all these totp posts today...

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Actually, I just realized the last Battlefield I played with planes was 1942. How the fuck did they balance the jets in the BF that had them? Because, in theory, the jet would cross the battlefield in about 3 seconds.

I'd be fine if they were like the 1943 bombing runs where you're just manually calling in and aiming the plane as it does the run.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Hmmm. Co-op campaign sounds interesting. Kinda wish jets would never show up again, but whatever.

I'd be more excited about it if I could be assured they'd make a campaign actually worth playing through. BC2's SP was lame, and I don't have much personal experience with Onslaught (cuz I play on the PC durr) other than hearing people complain how shitty it is.
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Actually, I just realized the last Battlefield I played with planes was 1942. How the fuck did they balance the jets in the BF that had them? Because, in theory, the jet would cross the battlefield in about 3 seconds.

They didn't balance it, period. Jets were just pure rapeface. Basically the only viable counter was another jet, and if the enemy pilot was anywhere near proficient then your team was fucked.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

They didn't. That's exactly what happened.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay prone! Hopefully this will mean a return of deployable LMGs and real suppressive fire.

Yay 64 players! Please give us big maps, pretty please....

Errmmm...jets....hmmm. Let's hope DICE learned their lesson from BF2.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Yay prone! Hopefully this will mean a return of deployable LMGs and real suppressive fire.

Yay 64 players! Please give us big maps, pretty please....

Errmmm...jets....hmmm. Let's hope DICE learned their lesson from BF2.

Oh god please tell me they're not returning jets -_-

Fuck jets. Fuck them in the face.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, the BF 3 product description offers some intriguing tidbits.
    Feel The Battle! This fall, prepare to feel the most physical shooter ever created, powered by the all-new Frostbite 2 gaming engine.

Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of the competition with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next instalment of DICE’s cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before.

In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Paris, Tehran and New York

Features:
    • Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.

• Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3’s cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warriors experience like no other FPS.

• Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles.

• Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.

Source

The part about dragging comrades to safety seems really interesting.

Stolly on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain.
    Ooooooh. I really like it when games do this.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    For fuck's sake I'm so hyped now. I love, love love mounting weapons. Hopefully that means we'll get shithouse on-the-move accuracy and pinpoint accuracy while mounted. Also there better be fucking overheating on LMGs goddamn it.

Warcry on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like what I hear, except for the jets for reasons already stated. Wonder if those feature on the console variants?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Team member dragging would be really cool for being able to help medics without being a medic.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRulx0HIDO0

So it says in the product description that BF3 on PC has realtime radiosity.
    Here's realtime radiosity for you guys who don't know. It's basically creating the lighting for everywhere from one light source, because the light acts like it does IRL. It bounces infinitely from surface to surface. Watch from 2:00.

Imagine that with gunfire.

Ho

leeeeeeee

shit

Warcry on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And the best part? According to the pre-order page it's just 50 bucks. They learned their lesson about $60 PC games.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Stick it to the man, save 10$?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Radiosity can be lighting from multiple light areas and the rays it shoots must terminate within a set number of bounces (like between 8-64).

It's used to achieve ambient occlusion and thus only applies to diffuse surfaces (matte or light scattering ones)

(yay for ray-tracing class?)

rRootagea on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dunno if this was posted.

BF3_2D00_packshots3.png

Hank_Scorpio on
This discussion has been closed.