As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Forumers Logo (Post-PAX East 2011)

124»

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    I can definitely see having an "alternate" version (shit, I said that just a few posts ago that was a month ago) that is a little cleaner and less busy for some smaller applications (cards, patches, etc) but the main logo is still fantastic.

I for one am not a designer, so my words are only here for ideas and encouragement. I'm sure we can all think of things that we would change if we were doing it ourselves, but we aren't all designers and nobody else has put up another actual design or enhancement that this could compete with. I don't think any of us can reasonably expect any design to incorporate every single part of the community or every idea or enhancement that everyone talks about and still be perfect to everybody. At least to me, it sounds like aside from small tweaks, there has been overwhelming praise for this effort.

I had thought we were moving ahead with the "final version" as it was. Considering how much work was put into it, I think if someone wants to make an alternate version that's probably fine with everyone but we shouldn't be expecting any additional work out of Yamara since a fantastic product was already produced. I don't see why this needed to be re-opened to modify that original "final" draft logo, especially this close to East (given deadlines for getting this onto shirts, the coin, anything else we want to do).

zerzhul on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I had thought we were moving ahead with the "final version" as it was. Considering how much work was put into it, I think if someone wants to make an alternate version that's probably fine with everyone but we shouldn't be expecting any additional work out of Yamara since a fantastic product was already produced. I don't see why this needed to be re-opened to modify that original "final" draft logo, especially this close to East (given deadlines for getting this onto shirts, the coin, anything else we want to do).

Well that's what part of this final month and a half is for. We need to find a version that everyone is happy with, and if that takes the shape of the most recently posted design, then we'll all agree.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any chance of giving us the layered version so we can tweak it, Yamara?

Heleor on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't know if you realize this... but you really can't make everyone happy in this situation.

That being said, unless somebody comes forward in the next few days with a new design, I think everybody is going to have to accept the lovely design by Yamara. Kropotkin needs to get to work on the badge design so they can be printed and shipped before people leave for Boston. If you wait a month and a half, you're pretty much fucking us on getting a forum badge with our logo on it.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I has an idea.

I know that I've been one of the whiners/troublemakers about the logo, mainly because that's what I'm best at.

Why don't we agree to use this logo for East as a public beta. If it comes out great and most people love it, then we keep it. If a bunch of people say "oh, actually we could modify this or that", then we do so before Prime.

We're geeks. Betas should be in our blood.

What's the worst that could happen? A small bug in the printing turns the logo into dire velociraptor swarms that destroy the eastern seaboard. I don't care, I live in England.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I like this suggestion. I live on the west coast of Canada. I also don't care if dire velociraptors swarm the east coast.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    What's the worst that could happen? A small bug in the printing turns the logo into dire velociraptor swarms that destroy the eastern seaboard. I don't care, I live in England.

And you have the temerity to call me 'troubled'?

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited December 2010
    kropotkin wrote: »

And you have the temerity to call me 'troubled'?

Yes I do. Now I'm going to light a clementine on fire.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    I has an idea.

I know that I've been one of the whiners/troublemakers about the logo, mainly because that's what I'm best at.

Why don't we agree to use this logo for East as a public beta. If it comes out great and most people love it, then we keep it. If a bunch of people say "oh, actually we could modify this or that", then we do so before Prime.

We're geeks. Betas should be in our blood.

I'm Moe Fwacky, and I approve of this message :^:

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited December 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky should buy me a PS3.

I'm Moe Fwacky, and I approve of this message :^:

Gosh, thanks Moe.

(USER WAS MOESLAPPED FOR THIS POST)

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I think that's a great compromise :)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks, Meles.

I'll be sure to buy you something fried and delicious at the luncheon!

Rdr on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I like this suggestion. I live on the East coast of Canada. I also don't care if dire velociraptors swarm the West coast.

Fixed! :rotate:

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm going to be honest folks:
    I've lost interest in this. The coat looks too sleek and perfect. Traditional coats are often imperfect and do not look as though they were drafted on a computer.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Public beta ftw.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    I'm going to be honest folks:
    I've lost interest in this. The coat looks too sleek and perfect. Traditional coats are often imperfect and do not look as though they were drafted on a computer.

Look, unless you are willing to carve out your own coat of arms from a chunk of oak and use some sort of 3D scanner on it, I don't think "not looking sleek" is an achievable goal. Of course it's going to be rendered on a computer. How else is it going to be generated?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    UPDATE 5: FALSE False Alarm!

In agreement with a bunch of people, we now have a final plan. The current "final draft" as designed by Yamara is provisionally accepted as our logo for PAX East. In other words, any and all needed uses of a PAX forum community logo will be Yamara's design. Think of it as a beta test. Once we see the reactions and comments from people at PAX East as well as people ordering stuff with the logo, we will regroup here in April (enough decompression time from the event) and discuss positives and negatives and work from there.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for this, feitocomfruta :)

If you make it to the Fried Food Extravaganza, I'll be sure to buy you something unhealthy as thanks for your work organising this :D

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for this, feitocomfruta :)

If you make it to the Fried Food Extravaganza, I'll be sure to buy you something unhealthy as thanks for your work organising this :D

Thanks for the offer, but most likely I'll be on the PAX East Train, and we won't be arriving until 8pm.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sorry for my silence, I had busy holidays, and I'm a lazy bum. I'm regularly in the PAX IRC channel though, so I figured someone would grab me there if it was important.

I will go ahead and put the current incarnation up on Cafepress for East. Even with slow shipping, they should have time for the intrepid to order in time for them to arrive. I will see about making a trading card friendly version, but to some degree, that's what I had planned the "PAX Community" standalone text to serve... Although the heraldry might be awesome as a backing for the trading cards. I'll check the trading card thread and ask.

Arco: I understand your preference for the train trip shirt, but I actually don't like the design of last year's train shirt. The full rectangle outline better suits a poster than a shirt. It still has the mix of pixellated vs vector art which you disliked (though this doesn't bother me). The starburst muddies the train, and the radiating Galaga ships are just distracting. I think the 2009 design was sleeker, though I like the PacMan dots in the X for 2010, and the 1vs2 player mode. Design, like art, is very personal.

There are areas I would like to simplify or unify, but with all the differing events, it's hard to come up with a common symbology for them. Part of the extra stuff on there is to try to unify some of the different elements. I might have a (third) go at making all the community events pixellated, but that should probably wait for PAX Prime.

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PAX Community Shirts are here!

http://www.cafepress.com/geekstar/281810

Because PAX East nears, I've just gone ahead and put the PAX Community Heraldry on several dark, medium and light shirts. I have altered the pokeball by turning it sideways. At present, there are no black, but asphalt is available. I will need to alter the design slightly to handle black shirts (black horse on black shirt, not so visible).

I have gotten approval for the PAX community logo (the text) and the heraldry from Khoo. He asks that items are sold at cost, and that the PAX community logo text be no larger than 4" when reproduced. In that vein, there's a one to two dollar mark-up to cover my store cost (which allows me to offer any variety of shirt). Any excess I get will be donated to Child's Play.

Yamara on
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well my tshirt has been purchased...definitely wearing it around PAX East as well as in regular life

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh awesome. I'll wait for the black shirts to be ready on there but I will definitely try to buy one of those before PAX East.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They look really nice. Now I know what shirts I'll be wearing at PAX East 2011 :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Mine are on their way :)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The final design looks fabulous on the shirts. Thanks so much for the work in making the logo and in getting it setup on CafePress! :)

Off to order Hubs' and mine now.

fullofgrace on
    I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My tshirt came in the mail today!!!

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    gigabrain wrote: »
    My tshirt came in the mail today!!!

Pics or it didn't happen!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pics!
    180541_1270036151141_1236960296_31034233_2718631_n.jpg

It took a week and a half to get here, but here it is!!!! = D

Totally didn't need a 3xl, thought it was going to shrink. Here's hoping it does! = P

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Options
    NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I came back wayyyy too late. Art by committee never worked. Remember this? Glad the beta happened.

Great job, yo! Might buy one depending on budget (...oh dear, PAX East is going to drain me...)

Nullthread on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I have added black shirts and a hoodie. Also, there's a post for just the tees now, to keep the past long heraldry discussion a bit cleaner.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=18313683

Awesome to see pics of the shirts!

Yamara on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Okay I'm rebooting this thread. It's been a while since East, I know, but I want to know what people thought of the Forumers logo as an actual visible PAX thing. I'm not meaning this as an open redesign as of yet, though if there is really an opinion that we need to edit again, we can discuss it later.

Personally, I thought it turned out really well, and when I told someone that I started the thread to get it designed, I got some compliments on what we achieved with it (all the design credit goes to the designer, I'm just the spark that ignited the fuse :D). What do you think?

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like it, and people I knew that didn't know about it liked it as well and made comments to that effect. I didn't get any comments on it by strangers either on the forum badge or the t-shirt. That's likely partially due to the fact that I didn't wait in many lines, so I wasn't really standing around with strangers much. I think the other part is that while it does an amazing job of representing the forum community, it isn't really something that jumps out at someone who doesn't know what it is. There's so much detail involved that it's the sort of thing that one would have to stand and look at for a bit to really take it in. If the goal is to have it as a badge of awesome to be able to identify other members of the community more easily, mission accomplished. If the goal is to be flashy and attract attention to the forums, I'm not sure it is *as* successful, but that may also be due to limited exposure as well.

I like it the way it is.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I agree that the crest acts as a beacon for members of the PAX Forum community. What it didn't do so much is advertise our existence to attendees that don't go to the forums. The question is; does this matter?

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure how much of it was the crest and how much of it was just the double-size badge holder that all of us were carrying. I had no issues finding forum members at Prime, strictly because of the size of the badges.

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much of it was the crest and how much of it was just the double-size badge holder that all of us were carrying. I had no issues finding forum members at Prime, strictly because of the size of the badges.

Yeah, the crest was on some shirts and hoodies too though.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I didn't go to East, but the people I know who bought shirts seemed happy with them, and a few told me they had gotten compliments on them. So far, it sounds like no one has any complaints or suggestions now that they've seen the design in the wild. Does anyone have further suggestions now that East is over? How were the shirt colors with the design?

Do people feel the design is worth a return for the shirt's first Prime?
    (If this is the case, we should probably make a new thread for Prime commentary. Let's keep this one to discussion on the East Beta.)

Yamara on