As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good (and otherwise cheap) PC Speakers?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
My $7 Logitech Speakers (I'm not joking, that was literally the cost) from five years ago are crackling and crinkling a lot more than I'd like.

After seeing the excellent recommendations in the headphone thread, I'd like to appeal for some good (and fairly cheap) PC Desktop speakers. I've got a fairly nice (and cheap--you may be seeing a theme here) headphone set, but for general use, I would like speakers--especially if I'm showing a friend something on my PC.

I do have the problem wherein my desk is rather small, and the space underneath it is mostly taken up by my gigantic processor tower, my G940 HOTAS foot pedals, and a big APC power unit....so the subwoofer is going to have to be on the small side.

I suppose my budget is about $50 or so. That's probably ridiculously cheap for 2.1 speakers, and I could go farther, but I wonder if I'd get enough use out of it to make it worthwhile, so I'd like to stay about there if at all possible. I'm dealing with your typical onboard motherboard sound option (3.5 mm jack, etc.). I was thinking of picking up a pair of cheap Creative A220 2.1 Speakers.

EDIT: Or 2.0 speakers. 2.0 or 2.1 speakers. In fact, 2.0 speakers might be better because I have almost no space under my desk for a subwoofer.

Synthesis on

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have you thought of saving up a bit more and getting something that will significantly improve your gaming/computing experience?

For reals, compared to a $7 set of stereo speakers, something like this would blow your damned face off...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I got the model number down from circuit city when it went out of business for like $20. So much better, though you need the desk space/room for it.

You're better off getting surround sound headphones, though, if you're not playing a FPS it's pretty much worthless and you can pick up a cheap set of speakers at wal-mart.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I recently bought These Cyber Acoustics and I'm really happy with them. The sound quality is pretty good, and the whole system is small and compact. It also has a headphone out and aux-in on it's volume control, which I find really handy. I normally use a good set of Plantronics gaming headphones, so I purchased these for times when I don't want to use headphones (my apartment is a LAN party).

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Have you thought of saving up a bit more and getting something that will significantly improve your gaming/computing experience?

For reals, compared to a $7 set of stereo speakers, something like this would blow your damned face off...

I'm going to be honest with you...I don't have space for that. I have a really small desk that's in little tiny extension of my bedroom, and between my HOTAS, my portale devices, and various books and discs, I don't have space for it. Unless I could stick all the speakers right next to eachother behind my HOTAS throttle and joystick, yeah....

Don't get me wrong, it's really, really nice....but I'm really short on space here. And I already have a pretty nice set of earphones. Except I don't always want to wear them (for example, if I'm watching television and playing a game at the same time, or if I'm talking with a friend). Money isn't an issue, I could spend $300 on speakers if I wanted to right now (I put away a grand for a new PC, but frankly, I'm too tired to deal with that thanks to my teaching assistantship and grad school).

Headphone wise, I have a pretty good Creative headset that I like that I bought recently. I'd feel kind of foolish replacing it. I just need something to supplement that. The Cyber Acoustics setup seems a lot more appropriate to my situation, given the space constraints.

Synthesis on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aw, that's a shame. Oh well, go for the best 2.1s you can fit/afford then!

And whatever you do, DO NOT buy these - they sound like shit.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2011
    Aw, that's a shame. Oh well, go for the best 2.1s you can fit/afford then!

And whatever you do, DO NOT buy these - they sound like shit.

Okay, I will not buy those. Reviews don't seem that hot either. While I like Logitech for controllers and keyboards, I think I'll stick with a dedicated audio company like Creative (or any of the numerous others) when it comes to 2.1 speakers.

In any case, I'm still looking for recommendations on small 2.1s.

Synthesis on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just bought some Insignia 2.1's for $60. The speakers are relatively small and the subwoofer isn't too huge.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In defense of Logitech, I'm not an audiophile by any means but I have been totally satisfied with the X-240 2.1 system of theirs (now apparently discontinued) I'd had for a couple of years.

Gaslight on
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Logitech actually has some really decent 2.1's. They're just $150. Klipsch also has some that are supposed to be good. Same price, though.

Pirusu on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Logitech LS11, for good cheap stereo speakers, $ 19.99
    Logitech LS21, their bigger 2.1 brother, $24.39

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    Logitech actually has some really decent 2.1's. They're just $150. Klipsch also has some that are supposed to be good. Same price, though.

150$?? You get logitech 5.1 systems for $110, like the X530

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been thinking about getting a Logitech Z523 2.1 speaker system.

I hear they're decent, but I'm not sure about the whole 'also has speakers facing the wall' thing.

Does anyone have any opinions on these?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »

150$?? You get logitech 5.1 systems for $110, like the X530

Yep. $150.

I would imagine it's a little better quality/higher output than a cheaper 5.1.

It's also THX Certified, if you think that matters.

Pirusu on
    edited February 2011
    Logitech LS11, for good cheap stereo speakers, $ 19.99
    Logitech LS21, their bigger 2.1 brother, $24.39

Oh god no.

If you actually own either of those sets, I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a shitty set of speakers ain't one...

I got X-530s, and they're great! If I had the money, you can be damn sure I'd own a set of Z-5500s...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2011
    Fishman wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting a Logitech Z523 2.1 speaker system.

I hear they're decent, but I'm not sure about the whole 'also has speakers facing the wall' thing.

Does anyone have any opinions on these?

That's a passive radiator, it reacts to the pressure inside the woofer housing. I'm not a sound engineer, so I don't know exactly what that does, but considering it must cost money to include it, they probably wouldn't put it in there if it was useless?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited February 2011
    the ls11 sound absolutely amazing for their price, man. have you ever listened to them?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Yep. At work. One of the Indian guys brought a pair in, hooked up to his iPhone by 3.5mm.

They sounded worse than the clock radio they were meant to replace. So he threw them away and bought the 2.1 version.

Which sounded the exact same, except with lots of shitty, fluffy, completely uncontrolled midbass. The "sub"woofer often missed pretty much all of the beat in most of the hip-hop stuff he likes to listen to, because it really doesn't go very low at all.

They too have been consigned to the bin. He's got some Creative 2 channel speakers now. I can't find them on Newegg, or I'd point in their direction. I think he actually spent good money on them though, they've got two drivers and a tweeter in each speaker, and they're in wooden enclosures.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • BushiBushi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just seconding the opinion on the LS21s. They're complete shit, you're better off just using headphones and saving up a few more bucks.

Bushi on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The model I bought isn't made anymore I guess, but they were similar to these and I've had 'em for seven years (holy shit I never really thought about it!) and they sound as good as they did the day I bought 'em.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Those look worth considering.

I should probably also say that nice 2.0 speakers are also acceptable.

Synthesis on