As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Musicians Thread!!

1262728293032»

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I'm gonna start to try and get as much Jazz (edit:note that this is guitar I am discussing) practice as I can over the next couple months for my attempt at trying out for my school's Jazz band. Thing is, since I am currently on the wrong side of the planet, does anyone know any fucking awesome jazz resources I can learn from? I have next to no experience with the chord structures, and I really want to try and get this done because holy shit jazz technique is so awesome. I'll be getting a packet of pdfs from my teacher sometimes in the next few weeks, but in the meantime I'm kinda left on my own.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    SaintSaint Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We lost the battle of the bands to some dudes called Captain Hook, attributing to the fact that

A. They covers that weren't horrendously cliche
    B. Every cover my guitarist and drummer have picked out (read as: most of our setlist) is something to the effect of Free Bird or Stairway or Holiday because basically they go out and learnit without asking me and then they go "Well I already learned it so we have to play it"
    C. My voice was still shot to shit from the flu
    D. The other band actually brought along people who were there to support them, because basically whatever you bought at the bar/resturaunt you got a dollar for every ticket and you could put it in a jar for either band and they were counted up

But we talked to the other dudes and now we get to open for them at Hooters every other Tuesday which is really fucking cool and we're making a shitload in tips (at least a shitload for playing 30 minutes) so it all worked out.

Saint on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So I'm gonna start to try and get as much Jazz (edit:note that this is guitar I am discussing) practice as I can over the next couple months for my attempt at trying out for my school's Jazz band. Thing is, since I am currently on the wrong side of the planet, does anyone know any fucking awesome jazz resources I can learn from? I have next to no experience with the chord structures, and I really want to try and get this done because holy shit jazz technique is so awesome. I'll be getting a packet of pdfs from my teacher sometimes in the next few weeks, but in the meantime I'm kinda left on my own.

Django Reinhardt

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't know much about instructional books, but grabbing a fake book can give you stuff to work on.
    Saint wrote: »
    We lost the battle of the bands to some dudes called Captain Hook, attributing to the fact that

A. They covers that weren't horrendously cliche
    B. Every cover my guitarist and drummer have picked out (read as: most of our setlist) is something to the effect of Free Bird or Stairway or Holiday because basically they go out and learnit without asking me and then they go "Well I already learned it so we have to play it"
    C. My voice was still shot to shit from the flu
    D. The other band actually brought along people who were there to support them, because basically whatever you bought at the bar/resturaunt you got a dollar for every ticket and you could put it in a jar for either band and they were counted up

Pretty much every battle of the bands ever hinges on D, because they emphasize making the promoter or venue money over investing in establishing audiences or a scene way more than the typical shitty local band show does.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, holy shit, Fiz.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In other music news!

I went to see a production of The Gondoliers that some of my buds are in. It was... a hot mess. There were problems on almost every level of the show, and they officially open tonight. I hope they can turn it around but I also have hopes that it fails and the reviews say everything I hated about it

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    This song is discouraging me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4_0Pt3HAR8
    Damn you, Randy!

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This my pretty git fiddle I'm selling to buy stuff for an instrument I actually play.

Spoilered for big pictures.
    Moore01.JPG

Moore02.JPG

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »

Django Reinhardt

Wes Montgomery

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    everything anyone needs to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oojzmjJ3ugE

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was interesting, and also really bummed me the hell out because it's true.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    i'm bringing this thread back from the dead to show you a Thing I Found.

2a825g4.jpg

what we have here is a Tandberg 12 1/4" 4-track reel to reel tape machine, with integrated tube-driven stereo amplifier. made in the mid-60s as far as i can tell

it's high-end consumer grade rather than professional equipment, but holy mother of fuck this thing is cool. it does have some problems though. it's got a bad belt or some such, so the rewind and fast forward functions don't really work, and i'm terrified to take it apart to see what's actually wrong. luckily, i have a sturdy pen to stick in a hole in the reel to move the tape as needed. but if anyone knows anything about tape deck repair, i am listening!

a really awesome little touch is the VU meter. when you set a track to record, it projects a little blue bar over one of the tubes that lets you know when shit's clipping.

here's where i brag: it cost me zero dollars. some family friends are moving out west, so they're throwing a bunch of shit away. dude asks me if i want a tape deck, i think he means just like a cassette machine. hell though, i could do something fun with a cassette deck i don't really care about, so i go over and check it out and am greeted with this awesome goddamn thing

i'm pretty sure i win at ground scores

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers