As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Notch breaks SMP, must be tuesday

• Options
    CryptokidCryptokid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    @ deathrow, i'm not entirely sure what the underdark is. I get where you are comming from proyebat, so I will continue posting.

I saw a vid for the rapture server a while back and it looked awesome to me. It took me longer than I thought it would to find info on the server. Now I finally have so I posted here :P

Once again my steam id is cryptokidfh.

Cryptokid on
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah, you're talking about Ein's server. Unfortunately he stopped hosting it a couple months ago a little after those Rapture videos, due to a performance bug. Ein has said that he will reopen the server once it gets fixed.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So one fun thing about digging a 50x50 hole to bedrock is the pig and cow rain I get every now and then.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    CryptokidCryptokid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh darn, well I still wouldn't mind checking out the other server mentioned. Hopefully that server can go up again soon. Also, can anyone explain to me how rapture was built in such a deep ocean there? I think I read somewhere you had to excavate it? How did you go about doing that?

Cryptokid on
  • Options
    SheezSheez Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bugger. I'd love to send Vic a message, but his inbox is full. And I don't want to reveal the seeeeeccrets before they've been completed. Suggestions?

Sheez on
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    So one fun thing about digging a 50x50 hole to bedrock is the pig and cow rain I get every now and then.

Do you take damage if they hit you in the head?

Jollus on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jollus wrote: »

I havent been hit.... yet.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I havent been hit.... yet.

Do spiders take drop damage? Or do they just start climbing down cliff now? I haven't been paying attention. I suppose there are better ways of making murder machines.

Jollus on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    D34THROW wrote: »
    I'll be impressed if he mined the stuff he needed. If he inventory-hacked in the stuff, he's worthless.

This is a bad post and you should feel bad. Regardless of how he got the resources, that's fucking creative. Minecraft isn't all about having to mine everything. It's about ideas more than that.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cryptokid wrote: »
    Oh darn, well I still wouldn't mind checking out the other server mentioned. Hopefully that server can go up again soon. Also, can anyone explain to me how rapture was built in such a deep ocean there? I think I read somewhere you had to excavate it? How did you go about doing that?

Time and Patience.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I think I'm just going to make a welfare mob harvester and dig a really really deep pit with water leading to it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »
    I'll be impressed if he mined the stuff he needed. If he inventory-hacked in the stuff, he's worthless.

This is a bad post and you should feel bad. Regardless of how he got the resources, that's fucking creative. Minecraft isn't all about having to mine everything. It's about ideas more than that.

Yeah there are a lot of levels of cool minecraft stuff.

You've got the crazy huge built from scratch stuff.
    The neat stuff imported from another source (Kinect models, enterprise blueprints, CPU models)
    And there are the cool stuff made by a bunch of people working together (like the underdark)

Jollus on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I tried creating a sort of "pit" in my base where I could push cows and chickens into and eventually build stables or something, but I found that the animals disappeared when not supervised :(

Is there no way to manage livestock?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I think I'm just going to make a welfare mob harvester and dig a really really deep pit with water leading to it.

I was thinking the same thing. You will need to make sure the water doesn't actually flow into the pit though, since I think the water would break the fall. It would make a single collection point kinda hard.

I am thinking about doing a big pit full of cacti, with water channels to direct the drops to a single point I can just stand on. I've seen murder machines on youtube that work kinda like that.

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I tried creating a sort of "pit" in my base where I could push cows and chickens into and eventually build stables or something, but I found that the animals disappeared when not supervised :(

My chicken coop failed for the same reason. :(

Jollus on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I was thinking the same thing. You will need to make sure the water doesn't actually flow into the pit though, since I think the water would break the fall. It would make a single collection point kinda hard.

I am thinking about doing a big pit full of cacti, with water channels to direct the drops to a single point I can just stand on. I've seen murder machines on youtube that work kinda like that.

My last world had a large tower that used lava to kill mobs but it was a bitch to make and took a crazy amount of resources to fuck making that again.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

There is not, mobs continually spawn and de-spawn as you play. Never more than 15 neutral mobs on a map at 1 time.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Noisymunk wrote: »

There is not, mobs continually spawn and de-spawn as you play. Never more than 15 neutral mobs on a map at 1 time.

You could use the Pet Mod

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Unless you start throwing a lot of eggs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RAjfNdZ0hw

Oh! Make an egg cannon that fires into a murder machine, and all chickens that spawn with die and drop their feathers. To bad eggs are so rare. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to inventory edit to make it work.

Jollus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Unless you start throwing a lot of eggs.

Oh! Make an egg cannon that fires into a murder machine, and all chickens that spawn with die and drop their feathers. To bad eggs are so rare. Kinda defeats the purpose if you have to inventory edit to make it work.

I like how fast his frame rate goes to hell in that video.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I call bullshit. I've seen WAAAAY more than 15 neutral mobs on the map...in the same area. 15 of one type, maybe, but unlikely. At my old base on another server, every night there would be 10 cows, 12 sheep, and 24 chickens crowding around the little lakes and torches.

Wool and leather, anyone?

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I call bullshit. I've seen WAAAAY more than 15 neutral mobs on the map...in the same area. 15 of one type, maybe, but unlikely. At my old base on another server, every night there would be 10 cows, 12 sheep, and 24 chickens crowding around the little lakes and torches.

Wool and leather, anyone?

Just goin' by what the wiki says.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wiki's wrong for a change :P

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This needs to be posted (again i think? though this has been updated)
    2011-02-04_162245.png

Awesome.
    Rubber ducky is by psyck0, as well as the tub i believe. the faucet though, not sure. Either way, wow.

(also last i checked that tub was full of squid.)

Kileak on
  • Options
    NotyetdoneNotyetdone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Time for a new thread soon. everyone brase for impact!!!!

Notyetdone on
    Sometimes, when no one is watching..
    I dig straight down...

Im going to laugh when i see on the news that a criminal prone kid strangled his brother to death with a shoelace when he erased his minecraft save.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    asteroid-impact-earth-324x205.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Requesting that new OP also lists cool shit that people have built, like the giant and bathtub.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Skeith wrote: »
    Requesting that new OP also lists cool shit that people have built, like the giant and bathtub.

As well as Kileak's UD maps?

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bp1580 wrote: »

As well as Kileak's UD maps?

Especially the maps.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, look what is getting imported into the Enterprise maps
    2d135l5.png

ENGINES! It's about time :)

halkun on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, can I get the new underdark IP?

Edit:
    Nevermind, apparently I just had to reconnect

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Hold on, where is the giant? Or do you mean the kickass giant holding up a mountain that was several pages back? That inspired my current (much smaller) project and was in fact amazing.

Also, Kileak, SQUEEEEEE :D Yes the faucet is mine, it is what inspire the bathtub haha.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone interested in a savegame file that has one of the craziest caves I've ever found in it?

Seriously my computer shit itself while trying to load this cave system to the point where I think theres a massive memory leak going on. I had to turn it onto neutral just to make things playable but still this cave is huuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Has a couple of underground waterfalls, a pretty big pool, and lava flows. Honestly I haven't gotten through the entire thing just yet but its looking like its the largest I've ever found.

iRevert on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    iRevert wrote: »
    Anyone interested in a savegame file that has one of the craziest caves I've ever found in it?

Seriously my computer shit itself while trying to load this cave system to the point where I think theres a massive memory leak going on. I had to turn it onto neutral just to make things playable but still this cave is huuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Has a couple of underground waterfalls, a pretty big pool, and lava flows. Honestly I haven't gotten through the entire thing just yet but its looking like its the largest I've ever found.

I wish there was a way to save the map of the SMP server I play on.

I found a GOD DAMN huge cave myself. Stretches pretty much all the way to bedrock to surface in places, at least 400x400 square area, and I've found 3 dungeons in it so far.

First time I explored it I thought I'd never find my way out. The whole "put torches on the left wall as you go deeper" thing doesn't really work when most of the cave branches end up reconnecting with another part of the cave somewhere down the tunnel.

I finally developed a system of "Main tunnels" of the cave network, where I used redstone torches and signs to help myself get around. After a few days of mining it, though, I've got my sense of the layout pretty down.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cam anyone recommended a good map editor that'll let me copy a construction from one world and put it into another?

Arrath on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »

Basically when it comes to giving props for making something in Minecraft, you weigh just how awesome the thing is vs what they did to make it.

The Enterprise? Sure, the framework was edited in and the rest of it is being made in Creative mode, but its fucking awesome enough that its fucking awesome regardless

A neat little fort? Not so cool if made in Creative, but is a lot cooler made in SMP because you have to go and gather resources yourself.

Something like that automatic mine cart retrieval system? Would be even more amazing if made without editing in the resources, but ultimately the impressive part with that was designing and implementing it, gathering resources isn't difficult its just a time sink.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The Enterprise? Sure, the framework was edited in and the rest of it is being made in Creative mode, but its fucking awesome enough that its fucking awesome regardless

I get that a lot...

"IT'S A FAKE!", They yell.

I wholly admit that I did a deck import, but what's really cool is how I did it. I see kids these days, with their voxel converters, and they assume that all I did was find some .wrl file and run it though a converter. Take a look again. You can see in my video that the ship has been thinly sliced, with little details transparently showing through the decks. Now that ship was super rough and only really 8 hours of work. I was not out looking for the video to go ballistic. I posted the video in ONE PLACE, which was in G&Ts Minecraft thread. Next thing you know, Felicia Day sees it and it goes nuclear.

The Enterprise we are building now not only has a much cleaner framework, but has teams of people building out rooms and finishing walls and making it their own. On my hard drive is a 44 deck Battlestar that will soon be put up on my forums. This will have an extra kick. No deck plans this time around. Now we will have to come up with halls, rooms, birthings, nooks, and crannies. (There are no deck plans for the Battlestar Galatica) Will it be as successful as the Enterprise? Probably not, but I wasn't looking for fame anyway the first time around.

"I don't play Minecraft like normal people" I said.

I bet that battlestar gonna look hella cool though.

halkun on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So crap, I just noticed I have a full inbox. If you sent me a PM that I did not reply to during the last 5 days or so you might want to resend it, because it probably bounced :(

And yes, we need a new thread very very soon! I won't be able to do it for about five hours, but I guess I could put it up now and then mess with it later.

Vic on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Or maybe you guys can just control yourself for a little while and I can actually do the job when I get home.

Vic on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Basically when it comes to giving props for making something in Minecraft, you weigh just how awesome the thing is vs what they did to make it.

Why? All this has ever done is backhand people who use Creative Mode for its namesake.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.