As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My mistake.

New sig :D

Warcry on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    24 players on 360/PS3, by the way. Works for me. That'll probably be the average population of PC servers anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warcry wrote: »
    My mistake.

New sig :D

brilliant!

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Between this and the new Planetside....

My wife is going to be pissed.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »

I would now have BF3 for my realistic war gaming, Reach for my arcadey shooting, Perfect Dark for that classic feel, and Section 8 Prejudice for dropping in on the fight from orbit. On one console.

People may never see me again.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This has given me all the more reason to clock my CPU up to 4.0ghz, buy a new 1080p monitor and a GTX 500 series.

Yes, I do have the money for all of that now. Why do you ask?

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just got a 32" 1080p LED TV to replace my monitor.

Yes, it's on my desk.

Yes, I sit about 2.5 feet away from it to play.

Is that so wrong?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just got a 32" 1080p LED TV to replace my monitor.

Yes, it's on my desk.

Yes, I sit about 2.5 feet away from it to play.

Is that so wrong?

best have like

32x antialiasing on that sucker

Warcry on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If that's wrong I don't wanna ever be right.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I would now have BF3 for my realistic war gaming, Reach for my arcadey shooting, Perfect Dark for that classic feel, and Section 8 Prejudice for dropping in on the fight from orbit. On one console.

People may never see me again.

I will pull you to safety, Fyre.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also

If we can mount weapons

and we have prone

that means we can use LMGs and sniper rifles correctly

Also something that would be cool is having multiple skins for each class. I fucking hate going shotgun recon and running around urban areas with a ghillie suit making me stick out like a sore thumb. I'd like there to either be a recon and a sniper class, or have interchangable player models for certain classes.
    Something else that would be cool is model changes according to perks. EG; lightweight kit adds +25% movement speed, but halves your armour. So your player model would have barely anything on him but the uniform and helmet.

Oooh, and having all your other weaponry visible on your player model would be neat too. Proper switching animations and appropriate delay.

gnnnnnnnnnn

must stop

speculating

Warcry on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Regarding balancing AA for jets and choppers:

Why not just have jets on some maps and choppers on others, but never on the same map? That way you can put in AA that can rival jets but not have to worry about obliterating any choppers.

Endaro on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also

If we can mount weapons

and we have prone

Also something that would be cool is having multiple skins for each class. I fucking hate going shotgun recon and running around urban areas with a ghillie suit making me stick out like a sore thumb. I'd like there to either be a recon and a sniper class, or have interchangable player models for certain classes.
    Something else that would be cool is model changes according to perks. EG; lightweight kit adds +25% movement speed, but halves your armour. So your player model would have barely anything on him but the uniform and helmet.

Oooh, and having all your other weaponry visible on your player model would be neat too. Proper switching animations and appropriate delay.

gnnnnnnnnnn

must stop

speculating

the armor swap thing was in 2142 (and also BF2? can't remember)
    So was deployable LMGs

I could definitely go for multiple skins per class, though I feel like that is something they'd try to DLC (oh wait, they already did in BC2 ;-))

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Also

If we can mount weapons

and we have prone

gnnnnnnnnnn

must stop

speculating

the armor swap thing was in 2142 (and also BF2? can't remember)
    So was deployable LMGs

I could definitely go for multiple skins per class, though I feel like that is something they'd try to DLC (oh wait, they already did in BC2 ;-))

Well, I never played much 2142. :c

Also the Specact kit is just a recolour. It doesn't let you change the playermodel, it's not a 'skin' per se.

Warcry on
  • Options
    BingarossoBingarosso Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just want to say: Last night rocked. See you guys for the next Thursday Night (Fire)Fight!

Bingarosso on
    LDN-text-with-logo1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Endaro wrote: »

Why not just have jets on some maps and choppers on others, but never on the same map? That way you can put in AA that can rival jets but not have to worry about obliterating any choppers.

no no no

no

no

you see that would mean they LIED to us in the teaser trailer

blasphemer

Warcry on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Honestly, a good way to control jets wold be forcing pilots to have to "lock-on" to vehicle targets before being able to use their face raping weaponry.

This way a jet just can't rape your shit unless you're in/near vehicles. And other methods of destroying jets, besides other jets, would be pretty cool.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That would imply a viable anti-air option.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My work in progress BF3 wishlist
      Jets that are actually balanced. Jets ruined BF2. There is nothing fun about spawning on a base that was constantly being carpet bombed. The AA turrets were a joke and only served as target practice for pilots. The only way you could only shoot down a jet if it was being piloted by someone with the IQ of a rock. This rarely ever happened though because those people just lawn darted the jets before you could even get a missile lock.
      No dolphin diving. I like the idea of prone. I remember using it to dive over things so I could get behind cover when a tank was trying to kill me. But maintaining any semblance of accuracy afterwards was awful. If you can go to prone quickly you should not be able to shoot accurately for a few seconds so that firefights don't boil down to who hits the prone key first. It's mind boggling that at some point in BF:V, they had an elegant prone solution that let you hit the dirt fast, but in doing so your crosshairs went wacky and your view randomly shifted a bit so you couldn't headshot a guy the instant you hit the ground. Why this wasn't used in BF2 is beyond me.
      BF2142's classes. I think BF2142 had the best class setup of any BF game. It was basically like BC2, only there was no dedicated medic class. Instead the medic goodies were merged into the assault class. Make assaults choose between the rifle attachment and defibs. That way revive chains and grenade spamming are both cut down. Bring back the dedicated support class. That way the guy with infinite ammo can't really abuse it that much since he'll already have an LMG with a buttload of ammo.
      3D scopes like in Red Orchestra. I am so sick of BF just having scopes that zoom your entire view in when games have been doing 3D scopes for years now. If Splinter Cell: Conviction, a 3rd person stealth game, can do it, why can't we have it in BF3 where there will be scopes out the ass?
      Some sort of push mode/supply lines mode as well as Rush mode. After playing BF2142 and BC2, I really like the idea of maps and modes that promote more concentrated skirmishes and clearly defined objectives. After a while I got tired of BF2's massive maps with ten flags and people just going around in circles capping them like a dog chasing its tail. I don't know why DICE hasn't been able to do this when Forgotten Hope, a mod for BF1942, managed to hack in a push mode that was awesome. I don't think conquest mode should go away, but if it's all BF3 ships with I'm going to be pretty disappointed.
      Classes with unlock trees like in BF2142. I really liked the idea of choosing which unlock I wanted in BF2142 and working all the way down a branch to get one. Having a choice makes unlocking things more exciting and it allows for more customization within a class.
      Larger scale destruction. I'm not expecting to be bringing down skyscrapers, but a lot of the buildings in BC2 were houses and smaller office buildings. I'd like something a little closer to Karkand with destructible buildings.
      The huge view distance that is in BC2. A big problem with jets is that they appear and disappear in seconds.

I also really like the idea of there being two kinds of jets which specialize in either anti-air and anti-ground. Maybe the anti-ground jets could move slower so they're more vulnerable to ground fire from AA vehicles. That way you wouldn't have to rely on completely luck based AA (ie AA missiles).

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »
    That would imply a viable anti-air option.

Airplane Gremlins.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I also really like the idea of there being two kinds of jets which specialize in either anti-air and anti-ground.

A10 tank killers, pls

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So like, I was all
    man I should really go to bed in case I get a work call tomorrow, it's like 3:30am
    and then I got in bed while watching Four Lions

and then something hit my wall

so I get up and turn the lights on to investigate...
    and there's this fat ass motherfucking frog on my monitor

and I'm like
    whoa
    camera time
    frog1.png

and then

better get him out of here
    frog2.png

but then

a chase ensues!
    frog3.png

at this point I was all like
    awwwwwwwwwwwww
    frog4.png

So I finally got the poor little guy in the corner of my room (with wet hands) and put him in a bucket. He croaked a bit and shifted around and I felt sorry for him so I took him out to the garden :3

and the moral of the story is that it is now 4:30 and i'm still not in bed
    This has nothing to do with BC2 but I love you guys

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Anti-Air Frogs....the perfect way to take out jets!

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, we're using the French for anti-air?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, we're using the French for anti-air?

white flags large enough to be seen from a fast moving jet?

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    Honestly, a good way to control jets wold be forcing pilots to have to "lock-on" to vehicle targets before being able to use their face raping weaponry.

This way a jet just can't rape your shit unless you're in/near vehicles. And other methods of destroying jets, besides other jets, would be pretty cool.

Or even better, make them have to wait until someone (Recon) uses a laser designator on a target before they can drop bombs.

Other option is viable AA weapons (which would make way more sense). There are some modern non-terrible MANPADS that would help with this I think (especially if you make them realistic and worthless/dangerous at anti-personnel angles)

Another option would be to dramatically reduce the health of jets - make them into glass cannons, which is pretty much what they'd be at Battlefield altitudes (except the A-10 if it made it in).

a5ehren on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was thinking that you could make an AA gun that only works on jets. You could get away by saying it is heat seeking and choppers don't put out enough heat for it to lock on. You can still use it with a tracer or cold firing it, but if you hover over a jet, it will lock on to it's exhaust.

Oh oh, and make the flares/smoke vehicle perk for the jet actually detonate the missile instead of just making it pass by.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So how long will it take for me to be able to get BF3 for $6.75 on Steam?

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just like in 2142, there should be an option for a man-portable Anti-Air Missile system. The gunships in that game, while not as rape-tastic as the jets in BF2, could be sufficiently suppressed with one or two players carrying around AA Missiles.

Give us the option to equip stingers that can lock onto jets (and only jets, like your idea That_Guy), and that would go a long way to preventing absolute jet dominance. Also forcing jets to rely on ground forces to laze targets for Air-to-Surface ordinance would also be a smart move.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I agree with needing a laser-lit target to fire weapons.

Jets need to be support vehicles, not primary combat.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like the idea of a man-portable AA weapon, but I still think they should lock onto choppers. Maybe choppers could drop flares more frequently to compensate and you'd be encouraged to use AA turrets like the ones in BC2.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Campaign could be interesting. I'd like a hotswap function like on the console version of BF2.

That was not a "console version of BF2". That was an entirely different game that should never have had the name "BF2" associated with it. It was a horrible mess.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I liked it.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just put the VADS on all maps in multiple locations, and no one will want to fly anything ever.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRulx0HIDO0

So it says in the product description that BF3 on PC has realtime radiosity.
    Here's realtime radiosity for you guys who don't know. It's basically creating the lighting for everywhere from one light source, because the light acts like it does IRL. It bounces infinitely from surface to surface. Watch from 2:00.

Imagine that with gunfire.

Ho

leeeeeeee

shit

Oh my god fuck yes fuck yes fuck yes

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Endaro wrote: »

Simple, give choppers better flares that can fully defeat the jet-directed AA. Then you can have both in one map and not have to worry about it. Have shell-based AA against choppers.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just put the VADS on all maps in multiple locations, and no one will want to fly anything ever.

this is bad and you should feel bad

MrDelish on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRulx0HIDO0

So it says in the product description that BF3 on PC has realtime radiosity.
    Here's realtime radiosity for you guys who don't know. It's basically creating the lighting for everywhere from one light source, because the light acts like it does IRL. It bounces infinitely from surface to surface. Watch from 2:00.

Imagine that with gunfire.

Ho

leeeeeeee

shit

Oh my god fuck yes fuck yes fuck yes

My PC started crying

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »

this is bad and you should feel bad

Bad joke is bad, yes I know :)

I am so upgrading my graphics card for BF3 now. I want that Realtime Radiosity...UNF!

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When's BF3 due out? I've been kinda wanting to upgrade my computer, but I haven't really had a need. Maybe for The Old Republic but even that's doubtful. I guess my computer isn't that old, and I could just start overclocking things, but I really want to see what an i7 and a new video card can do. I'd also like to game in 1080p, not that 1680x1050 is bad, but I've been rocking that resolution since 2005, I think it's time for a change.

emp123 on
This discussion has been closed.