As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That tech demo was awesome, but the first room they showed makes me wish for a new Mirror's Edge. :(

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    emp123 wrote: »
    When's BF3 due out? I've been kinda wanting to upgrade my computer, but I haven't really had a need. Maybe for The Old Republic but even that's doubtful. I guess my computer isn't that old, and I could just start overclocking things, but I really want to see what an i7 and a new video card can do. I'd also like to game in 1080p, not that 1680x1050 is bad, but I've been rocking that resolution since 2005, I think it's time for a change.

BF3 Release Date: Fall 2011

Which means they are going head to head with MW3 (or whatever the new COD is going to be).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, knowing how shite Jets were in BF2, maybe they're not going to implement them in the exact same way. Maybe they'll be a support option rather than a driveable vehicle? Red smoke for an airstrike or something? Bunker buster a building for instant collapse?

Chronocide on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Just put the VADS on all maps in multiple locations, and no one will want to fly anything ever.

this is bad and you should feel bad

I love AA guns. We were on Atacama Desert conquest last night getting completely rolled, no thanks to the griefer on our team, including being harassed by the enemy chopper. So I jumped on the AA gun and harassed the helo right back, to the point he flew all the way back to his own base. Where I kept hitting him with the AA gun to the sounds of "I'm all the way across the map and the AA is still hitting me!" :lol:

On another note, That_Guy did me a solid and added some friends of mine to the white list. They're not PAers obviously, and I know I can't expect the admins to memorize all of their names, but if you see these guys around they're all pretty cool and kicking them would suck:
    angrek
    Bujanx
    CapnJB
    dedubya
    Evil Chihuahua
    GB Crush
    heckler40
    LiNxz0r
    NBK_PlanB
    Nomios
    wraith5

I've been playing with them since back in 1998/1999 when we played Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six so I vouch for every one of them. They're not very active, I don't expect to see more than 3 or 4 playing BC2 at any given time, so it's not like they're going to take over the server. I think having them be able to play on the server reliably would help breathe life into both our communities, with the exception of the Thursday night BC2wtfbbqathon. :wink:

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Chronocide wrote: »
    Well, knowing how shite Jets were in BF2, maybe they're not going to implement them in the exact same way. Maybe they'll be a support option rather than a driveable vehicle? Red smoke for an airstrike or something? Bunker buster a building for instant collapse?

Better AA options, bombs that aren't a one-hit kill, slower top speed, lower flight ceiling, the list could go on. There are a bunch of ways they could balance them properly. They just didn't in BF2.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    1296865313145.jpg
    Preorders get four BC2 maps, including Karkand. Haven't the (non-free) map packs so far for Battlefield games ended going rather badly, given that they just split the community?

Also, I finally clicked as to what the game's cover reminded me of. That fucking blue and orange colour palette.

Suriko on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if by "purchase" they mean they'll let you buy the inevitable EA VIP pass a month post release, which would mean the maps are on disc anyway. If the Back to Karkand achievements are part of the initial 1000 gamescore, then they're on the disc.

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2011
    I would be surprised if they didn't use that model.

The game seems to be drawing very heavily from BC2, both in aesthetics, and setting. Plus the seemingly accellerated release date, given that fall was supposedly when the beta would start.

Suriko on
    edited February 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    1296865313145.jpg
    Preorders get four BC2 maps, including Karkand. Haven't the (non-free) map packs so far for Battlefield games ended going rather badly, given that they just split the community?

Also, I finally clicked as to what the game's cover reminded me of. That fucking blue and orange colour palette.

Selling maps as add-ons? And I thought BC2: Vietnam was bad. :?

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited February 2011
    ebotastic wrote: »
    1296865313145.jpg

Didn't the console versions of BC2 do that? Pay to get two of the map packs?

Though that said, I still don't like the concept of on-disc DLC, nor release-day DLC, but that fight's all but lost by now.

Suriko on
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would be surprised if they didn't use that model.

The game seems to be drawing very heavily from BC2, both in aesthetics, and setting. Plus the seemingly accellerated release date, given that fall was supposedly when the beta would start.
    I'm pretty sure that the MoH thing just stated that the beta would be released by Fall, not that it would be released then.

TwistedJester on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    1296865313145.jpg

Didn't the console versions of BC2 do that? Pay to get two of the map packs?

Though that said, I still don't like the concept of on-disc DLC, nor release-day DLC, but that fight's all but lost by now.

The only 'pay' map pack for BC2 is Vietnam, and it's technically an expansion. All the other ones were free with new copies or used copies had to indirectly buy them by paying 15$ for the VIP pass.

FyreWulff on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Complementary colors used in a color palette?

Stop. The. Fucking. Presses.

Garthor on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's less "zomg they're using basic design principles" and more "WHY IS EVERYTHING AN UNEARTHLY SHADE OF ORANGE AND BLUE FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON"

hailthefish on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Somehow I don't see "aesthetically pleasing" to be equivalent to "absolutely no reason"

MrDelish on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, you're going to need to just let this one go, Fish. It's a losing battle.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    edited February 2011
    27915.jpg?v=1

27940.jpg?v=1

That's not aesthetically pleasing.

hailthefish on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    27915.jpg?v=1

27940.jpg?v=1

Millions of Americans seem to think it is.

I have no hope for this country.

That_Guy on
    edited February 2011
    Garthor wrote: »

Complementary colors used in a color palette?

Stop. The. Fucking. Presses.

I didn't say that. Suriko said that. :P
    27915.jpg?v=1

27940.jpg?v=1

:whistle: Oompa-loompa doompety doo, I've got a tan in a bottle for you :whistle:

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
    edited February 2011
    Everyone is a Jersey Shore douche, suspended in a sea of deep blue goo.

hailthefish on
    edited February 2011
    used properly, it should convey a sense of heat and cold, or somesuch. Those don't do anything worth noting.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    sunset_68.jpg

rRootagea on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe it's just me, but I always thought the orange highlight in all the menu pics (and the BF3 cover, which is the same style) was a result of a portion of the guy's LBV being on fire. Sure looks that way, even if he doesn't seem to care/mind.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    toomuchtimeonmyhands.png

:(

Warcry on
    edited February 2011
    Jesus christ, warcry

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's about 50 days

jesus

Dox the PI on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warcry wrote: »
    toomuchtimeonmyhands.png

The in-game stats "only" says 427 hours. Although, I don't know if you have more than one soldier you've played a lot with.

Peewi on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    toomuchtimeonmyhands.png

The in-game stats "only" says 427 hours. Although, I don't know if you have more than one soldier you've played a lot with.

>Warcry<
    =Warcry=
    Das Ubermensch
    Eradicus
    =SlaughterRoar=

Add em up

:c

Warcry on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone know what would explain my unlocks/stats not sticking around? I've unlocked the goddamn MG3 like, ten times now, on multiple servers, but when I exit back to the main screen...there I am, frozen at "almost unlocked."

I was 2,000 points away from the M-16, and now I'm 12,000 points away. What's the deal?

Professor Phobos on
  • TheDugglerTheDuggler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheExAm wrote: »
    Jesus christ, warcry

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How late do you guys go Thursdays? I have an absurdly late lecture and get home about 11pm EST, was hoping to jump in and embarrass myself.

Torso Boy on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone know what would explain my unlocks/stats not sticking around? I've unlocked the goddamn MG3 like, ten times now, on multiple servers, but when I exit back to the main screen...there I am, frozen at "almost unlocked."

I was 2,000 points away from the M-16, and now I'm 12,000 points away. What's the deal?
    So it actually resets everytime? It doesn't stay unlocked in game? I've had little bugs with stuff not showing I had unlocked or gotten kills with it while in game the weapon is still there.

e: TorsoBoy, I get out of a lab at 12am at the latest so I will probably be hopping on around that time for 30 minutes to and hour. Last Thursday plenty of people were still on.

SirToasty on
    edited February 2011
    Very seriously considering buying a whole new rig soon. I should get some good money for my old parts, too.

There's so much shit I want to replace that I might as well get it all at the same time and have a proper gaming setup. 120hz monitor and 3D glasses, new keyboard and mouse, new video card, new power supply and new cooling system are what I want. Since I'm still on a socket 775 DDR2 mobo, I might as well upgrade that and the CPU as well. Otherwise it'll just bring down the whole setup in terms of speed. DDR3 makes such a massive difference.

Warcry on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warcry, you should totally sell me your Quad core.

Satsumomo on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Very seriously considering buying a whole new rig soon. I should get some good money for my old parts, too.

There's so much shit I want to replace that I might as well get it all at the same time and have a proper gaming setup. 120hz monitor and 3D glasses, new keyboard and mouse, new video card, new power supply and new cooling system are what I want. Since I'm still on a socket 775 DDR2 mobo, I might as well upgrade that and the CPU as well. Otherwise it'll just bring down the whole setup in terms of speed. DDR3 makes such a massive difference.

I am planning on doing a system overhaul at the end of our Summer. Even with the dated rig I built back in early 2008, I am able to run everything out there on mostly high settings. The only things I have upgraded have been my video card (old one died) and RAM (just borrowing it).

You have better rig than I do and you are getting this fancy new cooler. You should wait until some significantly better hardware comes out. Right now even the high end Core i7s are not so much better than what you have currently. I am going to wait until I can get an 8 to 10 core CPU for a decent price. Right now the only 8 core CPUs are more for servers than gaming PCs. I figure around the end of summer is going to be the sweet spot for new hardware.

That_Guy on
    edited February 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »

I am planning on doing a system overhaul at the end of our Summer. Even with the dated rig I built back in early 2008, I am able to run everything out there on mostly high settings. The only things I have upgraded have been my video card (old one died) and RAM (just borrowing it).

You have better rig than I do and you are getting this fancy new cooler. You should wait until some significantly better hardware comes out. Right now even the high end Core i7s are not so much better than what you have currently. I am going to wait until I can get an 8 to 10 core CPU for a decent price. Right now the only 8 core CPUs are more for servers than gaming PCs. I figure around the end of summer is going to be the sweet spot for new hardware.

Hmmm. I might just whack a GTX 580 in it and see how it goes with the H70 cooler then. In that case I will still need a new power supply. The GTX 460 and my 800watt PSU don't like 1920 x 1080 rendering much so a video card upgrade is needed. Once I have the H70 I should be able to crank my CPU up to 4.0ghz which should compensate nicely for the res upgrade in BC2.

Fuck I love having actual money now.

Warcry on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »

Hmmm. I might just whack a GTX 580 in it and see how it goes with the H70 cooler then. In that case I will still need a new power supply. The GTX 460 and my 800watt PSU don't like 1920 x 1080 rendering much so a video card upgrade is needed. Once I have the H70 I should be able to crank my CPU up to 4.0ghz which should compensate nicely for the res upgrade in BC2.

Fuck I love having actual money now.

An 800W PSU should handle a single (or even 2) GTX 580 just fine (I'm running a 560 and an OC'd i7 on 550W no problems). At this point I'd just wait until BF3 comes out and upgrade then (unless something is broken) since your setup obviously works fine for BC2 ;).

a5ehren on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm so fucked.
    I want to get/play Battlefield 3 so badly but I know my PC won't be able to handle it.
    And any upgrades/new builds aren't happening anytime soon at all

Snowblindvictim on
    edited February 2011
    I've still got a used GTX 260 for sale for $80, if anyone wants it.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    How late do you guys go Thursdays? I have an absurdly late lecture and get home about 11pm EST, was hoping to jump in and embarrass myself.

I dont get home till about that time on Thursdays as well and when I hopped on there were still plenty of people playing.

Unfortunately, my playtime was limited to all of about 10 seconds so I'll need to tweak my Thursdays.

emp123 on
This discussion has been closed.