As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Omegathon, OMEGANAUTS HAVE BEEN CHOSEN! OMEGANAUTS POST HERE!

• romanodogromanodog Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Hi, I'm an omeganaut!
    I usually don't answer unknown numbers, and I didn't even know they were calling for this thing yesterday but for some reason I answered. Glad I did!

romanodog on
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    romanodog wrote: »
    Hi, I'm an omeganaut!
    I usually don't answer unknown numbers, and I didn't even know they were calling for this thing yesterday but for some reason I answered. Glad I did!

Added to the list! Welcome to the club, we have hats (we don't really have hats)!

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hi, I'm an omeganaut!

Added to the list! Welcome to the club, we have hats (we don't really have hats)!
    We have shirts! Well, we will have shirts.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
    edited February 2011
    Rold wrote: »
    I'm wondering what games I should be playing to warm up. Do i hook up my Atari? Do i play some Mario Kart? maybe just break another controller with super meat boy? I'm sure the list will be pretty varied.
    I think I'm gonna be playing a lot of Pac-Man on my iPod. And possibly DLing it for XBLA too. (I was holding out for its inevitable addition to Game Room, but now Game Room is dead.)

ETA: Also Rock Band and a bunch of FPS in general. And Minecraft, hmmm...seems unlikely that it'd be part of the competition, but I know Gabe loves it and stranger things have happened...

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Rold wrote: »
    I'm wondering what games I should be playing to warm up. Do i hook up my Atari? Do i play some Mario Kart? maybe just break another controller with super meat boy? I'm sure the list will be pretty varied.
    I think I'm gonna be playing a lot of Pac-Man on my iPod. And possibly DLing it for XBLA too. (I was holding out for its inevitable addition to Game Room, but now Game Room is dead.)

ETA: Also Rock Band and a bunch of FPS in general. And Minecraft, hmmm...seems unlikely that it'd be part of the competition, but I know Gabe loves it and stranger things have happened...

Pac-Man CE DX is pretty awesome sauce, and absolutely worth your gaming dollar. I could totally see it coming up on the roster. Rock Band is also a staple, but I would not be surprised if they changed it up with some sort of dance game just to keep us on our toes (HAHA SEE WHAT I DID THERE?)

BaconSandwich on
  • TdarTURboTdarTURbo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm proficient at Rock Band drums at medium difficulty.

I need to practice the guitar.

TdarTURbo on
    edited February 2011
    Pac-Man CE DX is pretty awesome sauce, and absolutely worth your gaming dollar. I could totally see it coming up on the roster. Rock Band is also a staple, but I would not be surprised if they changed it up with some sort of dance game just to keep us on our toes (HAHA SEE WHAT I DID THERE?)
    AUUUUGH NO I HAVE THE COORDINATION OF A DRUNK MOOSE.

I'm pretty sure I can nail The Gambler on vocals. Actually, medium vocals in general should be fine for me. I'll need to practice guitar and keyboard. And maybe finally bite the bullet and get a drum set. (I just don't know where I'll put it...)

Themiscyra on
  • alariaalaria Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Ah I can't wait til they announce the games...I'm rather good at Rock Band but suck at most dance games (well, DDR, but I'm sure they'd rather do Dance Central or something). I can do Nintendo multiplayer stuff like Kart and Smash, I'm really hoping one of those is in there. I can imagine Angry Birds as a finale!

alaria on
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure I can nail The Gambler on vocals.

WHERE WERE YOU LAST YEAR?! For those who didn't see it, vocalists for both bands were pretty terrible. Ours even failed out initially.

On a related note, a word of advice if you get to the Rock Band round (assuming there is one): Make sure your bassist and guitarist know which side of the screen their notes are on.

BaconSandwich on
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sure I can nail The Gambler on vocals.

WHERE WERE YOU LAST YEAR?! For those who didn't see it, vocalists for both bands were pretty terrible. Ours even failed out initially.
    In the audience, watching you fail. Mwah ha ha ha!

Actually I can't even remember if I signed up for Omegathon before the keynote last year. It was all kind of a blur. If I did, I wasn't among those selected, obviously.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    Bacon, you were chosen 2 years in a row?? What are the odds of that!

romanodog on
    edited February 2011

Somewhere close to impossible! However, I was not randomly selected for this one. I am one part of the Runner-Up team from PAX East 2010, and due to this status I have been invited back for another shot at glory!

BaconSandwich on
    edited February 2011

Somewhere close to impossible! However, I was not randomly selected for this one. I am one part of the Runner-Up team from PAX East 2010, and due to this status I have been invited back for another shot at glory!

ohhh, awesome!

romanodog on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    There's no way that Minecraft could be a thing. How would you determine winners and losers? And it would take too long.

Oh, it could almost certainly be a thing. There are all SORTS of things they could do... first to make a full suit of armor (steel would take 10-15 minutes for a good player, I think), first to make a block of obsidian (means making a bucket, finding lava, and finding water). First to make a cake (means finding reeds, hunting chickens, etc).

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • RoldRold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If we get rock band, I'm gonna love it. I like to switch between hard and expert, on guitar, depending on songs. My fingers hated me for choosing expert on Freebird and Welcome Home, tho. still made 4 stars :D

Rold on
  • HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think if Minecraft was a game the victory condition would be "First to tear their hair out screaming profanities."

Holyyakker on
    "Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth
  • Jooish JediJooish Jedi Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I play the drums for reelz and I still think Rock Band drums on expert are ridiculous!

Jooish Jedi on
  • fr05tfr05t Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got the call last night, and honestly thought it was the guys in the office pulling a prank until I got the official email this morning. I'm willing to bet I had the most unenthusiastic answer Gabe had. "This is Gabe from Penny Arcade!".."Umm ok".. "You've been selected to take part in Omegathon!"... "Ok".. "Do you want to take part?".."Sure". As soon as I hung up my girlfriend asked who was calling, and I said it was just the guys being dinks.

To make up for that I've created an arsebook group for Omeganaughts. To join please ask to join, and message me with the following info from your Omeganaught confirmation (look to your omeganaught email for info).
    -What is the fax number you are supposed to send your signed agreement to.
    -Who do you need to send it to.
    -What is the text of #5 in the agreement.

It would be great if we could meet up before hand since we may be setup into teams.

Here is the group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_191181557577249

fr05t on
    edited February 2011
    fr05t wrote: »
    I got the call last night, and honestly thought it was the guys in the office pulling a prank until I got the official email this morning. I'm willing to bet I had the most unenthusiastic answer Gabe had. "This is Gabe from Penny Arcade!".."Umm ok".. "You've been selected to take part in Omegathon!"... "Ok".. "Do you want to take part?".."Sure". As soon as I hung up my girlfriend asked who was calling, and I said it was just the guys being dinks.

To make up for that I've created an arsebook group for Omeganaughts. To join please ask to join, and message me with the following info from your Omeganaught confirmation (look to your omeganaught email for info).

It would be great if we could meet up before hand since we may be setup into teams.

Ha! All kinds of awesome! Yep, facebook seems to be the only venue we haven't invaded yet. You've been added to THE LIST and I've sent my fb info to you

BaconSandwich on
  • Pistol PetePistol Pete Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oi! oi! This is another one of the few, the proud, the OMEGNAUTS OF 2011 signing in!

When I realized it was Gabe calling me, I had to summon all of my strength to not drop the phone. I"m so pumped. :)

Pistol Pete on
  • FDC_RuckusFDC_Ruckus Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    fr05t wrote: »

Heyyy great idea, but uh...any chance you could change the group to the correct spelling of Omeganaut?

"Naught" means zero...and I'd like to think we're not Omega-zeroes :[

Don't you know who we are? We're the Omeganauts, bitch.

FDC_Ruckus on
  • RoldRold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    do we have helmets? I fear Charles.

Rold on
    edited February 2011
    When I got a call from Gabe, I picked up my phone, and just was listening on the other side of the phone for 5 seconds until saying hello. It was one of the most awkward phone conversations I've been a part of.

For the Facebook Group I'm Andrew Graham.

I've also created a twitter list of the omeganauts http://twitter.com/#!/TdarTURbo/omegathonpaxeast2011/subscribers

TdarTURbo on
  • codermonkeycodermonkey Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Registered and checking in. 2011 PAX East Omeganaut here.

codermonkey on
  • fr05tfr05t Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Re: Omeganaught vs Omeganaut - Oops, and fixed.

fr05t on
    edited February 2011
    Something tells me that Dance Central will be one of the rounds for the Omegathon.

TdarTURbo on
    edited February 2011
    Heh, my Facebook profile's under an online psuedonym that's evolved into a nickname...long story...and now I can't change it, so it won't match whatever you see in the program. But will join & message shortly.

Themiscyra on
    edited February 2011
    TdarTURbo wrote: »
    Something tells me that Dance Central will be one of the rounds for the Omegathon.
    Dance Central might be preferable to something like DDR. If the gameplay's anything like Just Dance I think I can handle it.

Themiscyra on
  • Joey GekoJoey Geko Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Congratulations, and my full and heart-felt sympathies for all the PAXEast '11 Omeganauts!! The stress will shave an easy 5 years off the end of your lives... But oh! The stories you'll tell! ^_^

As for baseless speculation: The PA guys seem to love the music game round, so RB3 seems a shoe-in. Would love to see DJ Hero 2 in that spot though. I can't see an effectively "competitive" way to play Minecraft. Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Sorry (board game version). The Super Meat Boy suggestion I read earlier would be awesome! Pick 3 levels, 20-30 minute time limit, you can re-play them as many times as you want, or stop if you think your times are good enough, lowest aggregate times advance.

Anyway, can't wait to watch some rounds next month.

Joey Geko on
    Douche-Bag, Intellectual, Elitist Scum, Well-read Traveler, Nabob, Member of the Class of Omeganaut '08. The Omeganaut.
    edited February 2011
    Just curious, how much PAX time does the omegathon take? Assuming you make it to the final round are you spending pretty much all of your time at the omegathon or do you have time to check everything else out?

romanodog on
  • WaduWadu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Typically the Omegathon is a panel each day, maybe a little more? Obviously less if you lose. Last year the first few rounds were panels and the last two rounds were opening band for the saturday night concert and the closing ceremonies. You may have to miss a popular panel if it is opposite an omegathon panel but there will certainly be plenty of time to see the rest of PAX.

Wadu on
    edited February 2011
    Just curious, how much PAX time does the omegathon take? Assuming you make it to the final round are you spending pretty much all of your time at the omegathon or do you have time to check everything else out?

Rounds generally take an hour. For the music and final rounds they will probably want you in the green room an hour ahead of time. The flip side is your Omeganaut badge SHOULD get you to the front of any other line in the con when you are not competing.

BaconSandwich on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

You definitely have time to check things out but there are also definitely things you will have to miss due to time constraints. Usually they want you there ahead of the scheduled start time so they can go over rules and stuff so if a round is at 11:00 am then expect to be there around 10:30-10:45 AM.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • agentravynagentravyn Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Like another I saw in this thread, I had to register to post: I got the call from Gabe Friday night and will be a 2011 PAX East Omeganaut.

Please, dear god, no Dance Central!

agentravyn on
  • DarkshowersDarkshowers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Go, Go FDC_Ruckus!! Good luck! ;-)

Darkshowers on
    Ds3hsEH.png
    edited February 2011
    agentravyn wrote: »
    Like another I saw in this thread, I had to register to post: I got the call from Gabe Friday night and will be a 2011 PAX East Omeganaut.

Please, dear god, no Dance Central!

Welcome! Your name has been added to the roster in the OP. Feel free to join our Facebook group or post your twitter info to be added to that list! If not, I'll see you in 4 1/2 weeks!

BaconSandwich on
  • King of KickassKing of Kickass Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    congratz 2011 Omeganauts!

Im thinking ANGRYBIRDS?! First to destroy the pigs?

King of Kickass on
  • agentravynagentravyn Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Welcome! Your name has been added to the roster in the OP. Feel free to join our Facebook group or post your twitter info to be added to that list! If not, I'll see you in 4 1/2 weeks!
    Twitter account is the same as my username.

agentravyn on
    edited February 2011
    congratz 2011 Omeganauts!

Im thinking ANGRYBIRDS?! First to destroy the pigs?
    Oh good, I have that on my iPod. Now I just need to start playing it.

Themiscyra on
  • ShoopityShoopity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rounds generally take an hour. For the music and final rounds they will probably want you in the green room an hour ahead of time. The flip side is your Omeganaut badge SHOULD get you to the front of any other line in the con when you are not competing.

2 questions about that:
    1) If they do allow line skippage, can we get a friend in (my brother is coming) with us? If not that's fine, I totally understand. i don't want to abuse this awesome gift that has been bestowed upon me, but it'd also be a shame to not really be able to use it either because family comes first.

B) Is/Has that privilege been extended even if you go out in, say, round 1?

Shoopity on