As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MINECRAFT] Because internet Legos are serious business.

VicVic Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
logo.gif
Thanks to Kris_xK and Ein for the previous OP's

1010842689_DYj3P-L.jpg
1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg[/center]

Do you like Lego? Would you like to play with it again? Then you need to Minecraft.

Minecraft is a game about squares.

In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.

But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?

Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.

Where do I play the game?
This game can either be played using a downloadable application or online in your browser.

If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser | Downloadable Client.

If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer | Browser Multiplayer | CPColin's Client | WoM Client
Note: This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does.

Is it free?
Yes and no. Right now Minecraft is in beta, creative is free and survival is pay-only. The price is currently 75% of what it will be when the game is officially released. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin.

Current Price:€14.95 | $~21.30 | £12.00
Pre-Purchase Here

Videos:
Includes How-To and Beginner videos!

Useful Shit:

Programs & Utilities
Isometric Live Map Preview - Use this for your survival worlds.
NBT Forge - A map editor for Survival.
OMEN - A map editor for Creative
Isocraft - A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.
Cartograph - Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.

Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular ones. MAY BE OUT OF DATE
SMP's Texture Pack
Tahel's Texture Pack
Cheap Shot's Texture Pack
Brown & Bloom Texture Pack
Painterly Pack
Dokus' RPG Texture Pack
None of these interest you? Try browsing this list. Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.
Dírhael wrote: »
The rather excellent HD texture fix would be a valuable addition to the OP. Being able to play with larger textures, and still have animated water & fire is quite enjoyable.

Want to see what the look like? Cog made a handy picture guide!
Cognisseur wrote: »
Attention New Players!

In case you're interested in changing your Texture Pack, but don't know what to go with?

I loaded a few of the Texture Packs from the OP and took screenshots of the same location on Zetx's server (which hopefully demonstrates some texture variety) using each one. (Tahel's Pack link didn't load, and I didn't know what to do with Cheap Shot's .png file)

Default Texture Pack:
SqOYP.png

SMP's Texture Pack:
Gefc0.png

Brown & Bloom's Texture Pack:
BmFgx.png

Painterly Pack:
B6WHZ.png

All 4 Packs Side-by-Side Comparison:
P7ScY.png

Don't know how to install these? Read this.

Skins
[URL="url=http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=54216"]Java Skin Editor[/URL]
Skinning Tutorial, Supplementary Skin by VALVEjunkie
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

Links
The Official Minecraft Site - Play the game here.
The Dev Blog - Notch's dev blog., Posts a lot of updates and info here.
Notch's Twitter - Can be read on his blog as well.
The Official Minecraft Forums - Just don't fucking do it. The community is fucking retarded. Already.
Minecraft Wiki - The official wiki for the game.
SA Minecraft Wiki - Another wiki, this one run by Something Awful Goons. Lots of in jokes and not as comprehensive.
World of Minecraft - The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic.
The Skin Index - Skin Listing

STEAM GROUP
Clicky!
Ask in Steam chat to be added.
Please do not send me PM's about being invited to the steam group, instead make a post in this thread.

PUBLIC PA Servers

Diannaochong.dyndns.org
Updates and rules for this server can be found here.

SulSeeker.dyndns.org

The Underdark: No longer public, currently suffering from crippling performance issues but feel PM if you want the IP.

For others ask in Steam Group chat

IF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LISTS, FEEL FREE TO PM ME.

Vic on

• VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Underdark

Just a server with some people who live in a cave.

The server is currently down indefinitely.

Download the map here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6WHZU2GS

State of the Server address.
    Firstly, I would like to say that I am very glad of the enormous success I feel the Underdark server project has been. You wonderful players have poured literally thousands of hours into exploring and building in the depths I laid out, and I am grateful for the time I have been able to spend with you. And before I get you worried, I am not about to shut down or cancel the Underdark.

Sadly though, as I am sure most of you know the server has for quite a long time been suffering from crippling performance issues that have reduced the active population to a fragment of what it once was, as well as giving a poorer experience to those that have remained. This has been rather upsetting for me to see, but at the moment I have no clear solution in sight. I must also admit that my own dedication to the active administration of the server has always been rather low, and I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

That said there are to my mind three issues that need to be addressed for the Underdark to get back to its former glory.

1: The hosting solution.
    The server has always been suffering from certain amounts of lag and performance issues. This is both a result of the way Minecraft is programmed including a series of bugs, and by the fact that it is hosted on my personal computer located in Sweden. The easiest solution would be either 1: Another player takes over hosting by providing a dedicated server box in a better geographical location or 2: A commercial server is rented and paid for by player donations. I would be open to either solution, but am unwilling to personally organizing the second. It is also far from certain that this would actually fix the problem, since a lot of the issues seem to have to do with the nature of the Underdark map and bugs connected to certain features of it, which makes me extra weary of spending other people's money.

2: Server mods.
    The server mod that we used to have, Hey0, was discontinued. The supposed replacement called Bukkit is still in development and while there is a version out that can be installed I am still not sure about what functionalities and plugins are available that would actually help the Underdark. There are also other issues to work over, such as if we should have warps or if that function can be made uneccessary by other plugins such as chest protection. This issue should ideally be solved before the Underdark is rehosted.

3: The next Underdark.
    I have a huge amount of respect for the work that all you players have put into the current Underdark and I would never rob you of the things you have created. On the other hand, parts of what was supposed to make the Underdark special have slowly been lost as time has gone by. What once was a frightening wilderness is now someones backyard, almost the entire Underdark has been tamed by now and I find myself less and less willing to make new caves. While I have a lot of ideas of what I want to add to the next Underdark, making it will take an enormous undertaking that I have not even started yet. When or if a new Underdark is released the old one will be distributed to all players so that they can keep playing in it single player or even rehost it themselves, but that will certainly not be for at least a month or two. And if you might be interested in helping in the creation of a new Underdark, try playing around in NBT Forge and MCedit and see what you can do and keep an eye on the thread, if I need assistants I will make a post about it here.

For the moment I will just keep the Underdark up so that those who wish can still play around on it, but I do hope that a solution to the performance issues will appear soon. To those of you who are still playing, thanks for hanging in there! To those who have moved on, thank you for playing and I hope to be able to give you a reason to come back and give the Underdark another shot soon.
    Current(ish) info:

Thieves about

As there is still no replacement for Hey0 server mod and not everyone owns a vault in any case I will give this advice to new players: Keep all your valuables squirreled away in secret stashes. Gold, diamonds and Iron in particular are prone to theft. The simplest way to make a secret stash is to simply place a chest underneath your floor or inside a wall of your house and replace the blocks above whenever you access it.

Mods can now trade!

Mods can now trade items!

SERVER IP NO LONGER PUBLIC

Because of the strain on the server and the risk of griefers, the IP will no longer be public. If you have friends you want to invite feel free to do so.
    ud21.png
    In the early days when man awoke in the dark, he was haunted by visions of the surface. A place with no ceiling, where light flowed freely from the endless sky and gave life and warmth to the creatures and plants that lived on the earth. In his fervor for such a paradise, man dug ever upwards in his vain hope for this impossible dream. Yet however far he dug, he found only stone.

These days few believe in such fairytales. The depths may be dark, but by strength and courage we have carved ourself a home in these stone halls. Coal torches feed the hungry leaves of our trees and crops and hold the endless undead hordes at bay. Those with courage and skill climb out into the darkness and come back with wild tales of strange caves and glittering riches. It is a cold, harsh life, but we endure.
    Underdarkmap.png

I created the Underdark with two concepts in mind, firstly to make fantastical underground landscapes, and secondly to create a more difficult survival experience. The Underdark is a huge complex of caves, some natural stone and ore and others built after a certain theme such as the Sand Cave and the Red Caves. Struggling against the constant onslaught of monsters the players have explored and colonized far and wide within these caves.
    2010-11-28_031202.png

But there are many strange and hidden things in the depths of the world, and sometimes bravery and greed can lead one to destruction. Through rash actions the players have awoken something in the depths, and the consequences of their actions are still not fully understood.
    creeper.png

The Underdark is meant to be a slightly more difficult and dangerous experience than most servers, and players are encouraged to go out and explore or to create their own safe patch within the caves and build a home for themselves. I act as a sort of game master for the server, occasionally adding in a new cave system or providing a quest.

Information, also available inside the server:
    Player commands available:

/warp <destination>: A teleportation tool.

The current destination options are:
    uc: Undercore, the central cave
    rc: Red Caves, a netherstone cave system and a redstone cult hub
    urc: Underdark Research Center
    shop: A collection of shops where you can trade with other players
    ic: Ice Cave
    old: The ruins of the old Underdark server
    mf: Mob farm
    li: Lumber Ice, town in the Ice Cave
    ge: Gehenna, a cave with lava, soulsand and glass trees.
    sc: Sand Cave
    hq: New industrial complex built to replace HQ
    fs: False Surface Cave

/sethome: Similar to how warp functions, it allows you to set your own personal waypoint that you can reach by typing /home. You will land within 2-3 blocks of where you are when you set the point.

/kit miningbasics: Gives you a set of stone tools, for those inconvenient deaths.

/playerlist: Allows you to see a list of all of the players who are currently online.

/compass: Shows you your current heading (as of when you typed the command).

Trading system:
    Because some things are so difficult to find within the caves and other things are so abundant, I have arranged a system for trading items with the players using gold as the currency. 1B = 1 block, 1b = 1 bar. The following items are available for trade:

VIC BUYS: (these are the items I will give you gold for)
    64 Logs = 1 B
    32 Gravel = 1B
    [/COLOR]

VIC SELLS: (these are the items you can buy for gold)
    64 Obsidian blocks = 3B
    64 Dirt = 1B
    32 Sand = 1B
    32 Glass = 1B
    32 Clay = 1B
    32 Snow = 1B
    16 Ice = 1B
    32 Mossy Cobblestone = 1B
    32 Netherstone = 1B
    32 Soulsand = 1B
    1 Lightstone = 3b
    1 Lava = 5b
    1 Diamond Ore = 5b
    1 Coal ore = 2b
    1 Redstone ore = 2b
    8 Leaf block = 1B
    8 Flower = 1B
    8 Mushroom= 1B

Special Items: NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE
    Custom Warp: 30 B (this can be public or private as you wish, PRICE INCREASED)
    Pocket dimension; an adminium cube with private access through a warp. Useful as vaults.
    9x9x9 = 40B
    19x19x19 = 60B
    29x29x29 = 80B
    39x39x39 = 100B

Vic on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I'll finally go take a look at the underdark in game, provided the server doesn't explode or what have you.

SkutSkut on
    edited February 2011
    If you have any images/youtubes of impressive projects you want me to add to the OP feel free to post them!

Vic on
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think this deserves a copy

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1020&t=159125

17671011.png

Maybe not in the OP, but here nearby is cool.

Oh yeah, Kileaks map and tour guide:

map5final2.jpg

map5touristguide.jpg

Fleeb on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fleeb wrote: »
    That really is something.
    Makes me wish even more for randomly generated ruins, though.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited February 2011
    Stick those in spoilers, nair. They're huge. :P

I really wish we had randomly generated ruins, too. I had been meaning to make some ruins of a society what worshiped creepers in the underdark, but I never found a good place that was large enough, flat enough, and un-discovered enough.

Even though I'll be sad to see The Underdark 3 go away, I can't wait for The Underdark 4.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    javaw2010092519233935.jpg

Bodee boo de boo boo, boop.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vic, maybe you should think about ending the current Underdark Storyline somehow, and then you can look to starting fresh with a new Underdark and new story?

Houn on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What are the hardware specs of the machine you're currently running the server on?

Also as of 1:34pm, minecraft.net and the client is buggered and offline? Or is it just me?

Loathing on
    edited February 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    Vic, maybe you should think about ending the current Underdark Storyline somehow, and then you can look to starting fresh with a new Underdark and new story?

That is an excellent idea.

Vic on
  • KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Loathing wrote: »
    What are the hardware specs of the machine you're currently running the server on?

Also as of 1:34pm, minecraft.net and the client is buggered and offline? Or is it just me?

Same.

Also, if/when the next UnderDark comes up...were building a fucking highway to start with <.<

Kileak on
    edited February 2011
    Vic wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

That is an excellent idea.

Was the obsidian island with four portals in the void supposed to trigger anything, or was that just a callback to the first cult appearance?

Also, you should go through with your "Warp node" idea for the Fourth Underdark, and make the cost of node activation incredibly expensive. :P (like between 100 and 200B) It would give us some form of quick travel, but encourage us to still make roads and railroads

Edit: is the server down?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • DerBeppoDerBeppo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the hospitality in the Underdark yesterday. Sorry if I worried anyone by my aimless wanderings. It seems a little too set/crowded for any new expansion on my part, but it is a great place to visit.

DerBeppo on
    edited February 2011
    Most likely, I couldn't log in to minecraft.net at all. Eh, gives me a reason to play my SP world some more.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    I can login to MC now and MC.net is back up, and I can get onto my own server, but UD gives me a timeout.

Honestly, I agree with putting the warps off to the side in UD4 and building highways. The /warp feature just made people lazy IMO while now with the highways in place and no warps to use, I know the world a lot better then I did before.

Loathing on
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sigh. The Mo' Creatures mod is such a heartbreaker. It's really cool, adds some great stuff, and thrills my horse-crazy daughter to no end to have and breed horses in Minecraft. But three times now, the damn thing has completely crashed the game while I was riding a Pegasus, resulting in the Pegasus completely disappearing from the game, me dying, and losing all my inventory. Which wouldn't be too bad, except it takes a ton of work to get the Pegasus to begin with.

AnakinOU on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This game scares me.

I obsessed over Dwarf Fortress for years, I can't imagine what this would do to me.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2011
    The Story of the Underdark So Far:

---

The Imprisonment of the Red One

One day in the old core, I noticed that the Ugly Pyrammid had either exploded or been destroyed. When I inspected the ruins, I found a number of vintage cult signs that seemed to referring to the imprisonment of the Red One.
    01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

The first sign implies that their plans to free him had been set in motion. Perhaps these were written on the day that they found the gates in the void?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone else feel a little backhanded when you make a rather intensive construction, with a week of planning and building to create a magnificent complex spire of creative achievement and post pictures of it, only to have half the replies to it be "Yeah, it's nice, but it would have been more impressive if it was made in Survival mode legitimately." I kinda understand it, if you found out somebody upturned a continent to get the iron to make a Battlecruiser or something it would be impressive, but having that expectation tacked onto every major project is just draining on my desire to make or share anything.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • CryptokidCryptokid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This server looks just plain awesome sauce to me. I probably won't mind the lag as I have dealt with much worse before on another server lol. Also the current build of bukkit isn't to bad. It has worldguard and some other good plugins too. Really hope to be able to play on it soon, I just need an invite to the steam group right?

Cryptokid on
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel a little backhanded when you make a rather intensive construction, with a week of planning and building to create a magnificent complex spire of creative achievement and post pictures of it, only to have half the replies to it be "Yeah, it's nice, but it would have been more impressive if it was made in Survival mode legitimately." I kinda understand it, if you found out somebody upturned a continent to get the iron to make a Battlecruiser or something it would be impressive, but having that expectation tacked onto every major project is just draining on my desire to make or share anything.

Never get a job as a programmer.

Fleeb on
    edited February 2011
    Cryptokid wrote: »
    This server looks just plain awesome sauce to me. I probably won't mind the lag as I have dealt with much worse before on another server lol. Also the current build of bukkit isn't to bad. It has worldguard and some other good plugins too. Really hope to be able to play on it soon, I just need an invite to the steam group right?

PM Vic for the IP. The steam group is a bit useless at the moment. It was created to share the server IPs in a private space, but then someone realized that non-members could see the IP addresses too.

Anyway, I'm going to shoot for one story per page until I plow through my big backlog of things I need to post. Up next: The Unbreakable Spheres.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Never get a job as a programmer.

I'm rather sure I'll get a boss that tells me to "Add the cloud computing thing" no matter what field I'm in. Being a baker is gonna suck.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    Sigh. The Mo' Creatures mod is such a heartbreaker. It's really cool, adds some great stuff, and thrills my horse-crazy daughter to no end to have and breed horses in Minecraft. But three times now, the damn thing has completely crashed the game while I was riding a Pegasus, resulting in the Pegasus completely disappearing from the game, me dying, and losing all my inventory. Which wouldn't be too bad, except it takes a ton of work to get the Pegasus to begin with.

This mod looks awesome. Gonna check it out!

Anon the Felon on
    edited February 2011
    Yessss, my project is mostly completed. Finally.
    javaw2011020515533541.jpg
    The front entrance

javaw2011020515540162.jpg
    The IdolNinja Library.

javaw2011020515542040.jpg
    View of upper hallway and the ceiling. I like the 'hunting lodge' look.

javaw2011020515543128.jpg
    javaw2011020515561400.jpg
    Two of the 5 bedrooms in the building.

The dyed wool update may have been the best update.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It was labor intensive.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is where we show off our stuff?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5aLlBDa0ww

halkun on
  • NotyetdoneNotyetdone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »

Anyway, I'm going to shoot for one story per page until I plow through my big backlog of things I need to post. Up next: The Unbreakable Spheres.

To bad i was gone for that whole shenanigan. seriously. the first day back to school from winter break. I log off at 3 am. and get on at 5pm and wham, everything is done and finished with :'( i was sad to say the least.

Anyways... i cant wait for the obsidian island in the void... Thanks to me for discovering it! (woo!) and aaron being the first one to the scene besides me.

Notyetdone on
    Sometimes, when no one is watching..
    I dig straight down...

Im going to laugh when i see on the news that a criminal prone kid strangled his brother to death with a shoelace when he erased his minecraft save.
  • D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    T7rzE.png

I don't think I should eat the cakes D: <- What the hell's the creeper smiley code?

Vic, I have a friend who's running Bukkit (at least I think it's Bukkit...could be a community version of hey0 or something) and it works fine. I personally would like my warp back because I had a lot of crap in my cube. And the UAPS can't access their rare materials.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What is Dianno's server IP? Please don't tell me go to the OP. I went to the twitter page, and I copy and pasted the Diannaochong.dyndns.org into search, and I didn't find any IP.

Kadoken on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That IS the IP, just use that. No numbers.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Vic, I have a friend who's running Bukkit (at least I think it's Bukkit...could be a community version of hey0 or something) and it works fine. I personally would like my warp back because I had a lot of crap in my cube. And the UAPS can't access their rare materials.

I've been filling the void that was until recently filled with exploits in the Underdark with trying to run a server with a friend of mine. I can confirm that there is an alpha release of Bukkit, with (afaik) working plugins for warps. That said, I've no idea if you can port warp identities from hey0 to the new plugin, and I can understand how inconvenient it would be to manually reassign every single warp that was set up before.

In related news; Editing a map with MCEdit and making cool new stuff is really awesome. The power. THE POWER! In my hamfisted grasp! Vic, I didn't realise before just how tough making the UD so detailed must have been, thanks for all the effort you've put in to the server =]

Huggles on
  • pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'd also like to know this, and how fast your internet connection is. My roommate was hosting the rapture/columbia world expo server for a while (I think he quickly lost interest) but I don't think it saw a whole lot of traffic.

pentium166 on
  • JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hope it doesn't take as long to finish the new Underdark map as it did last time. Also, i'm eagerly looking forward to a resolution of the server storyline.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
    edited February 2011
    The Story of the Underdark So Far:

---

The Trickster's Puzzle

Staying true to the sign they left at the summoning platform after tricking us into freeing the Red One, the Redstone Cult returned in full shortly after the Old Core was discovered.

It started with a strange obelisk left near HQ in the Undercore:
    00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

The Spheres were sought, 9 in all spread out across the entire Underdark. Each had a different 3x3 grid of ore on top.

05.jpg

06.jpg

The spheres were unbreakable, but we were told to seek their cores. Using the 9 letter clue, someone figure out that if you used the warp command with the first letter of the ore on top (facing north and moving left to right starting with the upper left corner), it would send you to the center of the sphere.

Inside each sphere was a gold shell that housed a single ore block within it. Someone else figured out that the spheres placed all over the map were roughly in a 3x3 grid. People began to piece together the final warp code using the first letter of the ore cores in the sphere grid. When it was entered, everyone was whisked away to..
    An alternate dimension unconnected to the Underdark. It's true name unknown, we simply referred to it as Pandemonium.

pand_1.jpg

Maybe it was named for the untamable Obsidian tunnels that seemed to swallow all light from our torches.

pand_2.jpg

Maybe it was because of the insane amount of monsters who lived there and waged constant war against us.

pand_3.jpg

One thing we were certain of was that no sane man would willingly choose to stay in Pandemonium. Why would the the Cult and the Red One lead us here? What was the purpose of this place?

In time, we would learn the truth behind this strange place.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • CryptokidCryptokid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    PM Vic for the IP. The steam group is a bit useless at the moment. It was created to share the server IPs in a private space, but then someone realized that non-members could see the IP addresses too.

Thanks for the info, I pm'd him a couple of hours ago, hopefully I will get a reply soon.

Also, I have read the underdark stories and they have to be the most epic backstory to something I have read for a video game in forever. Excellent work.

Cryptokid on
    edited February 2011
    No Minecraft and no UnderDark makes Loathing something something.

Loathing on
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No Minecraft and no UnderDark makes Loathing something something.

Post Messages...?
    =]

Oh man, that puzzle was Awesometastic.

Huggles on
    edited February 2011
    And now it works again. Weird things going on with MC today.

Loathing on