As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: We're just a bunch of crazy guys and Dhals.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    TL Open Adelscott vs Mana game 3 was some of the best PVP play I've ever seen

watch the whole series if you can

is it hosted somewhere?

All the replays have been available pretty fast and there should be VoDs fairly quickly of the last few rounds at least

ed
    They also announced their "Korean" Protoss invites to the TSL3 are Huk, MC and Genius. So that's pretty awesome

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    AdelScott - sexy warp prism play, erryday.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    this is an interesting match goin on...anyone who says toss armies aren't immobile hasn't ever played toss -_- fuckin infantry are so fast, so mobile, and so crazy powerful

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    man fuck this game. terran gets continuously harassed, shrugs, a-moves to victory

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    man fuck this game. terran gets continuously harassed, shrugs, a-moves to victory

FoundationandEmpire.png
    Fucking MULES

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adelscott could have had a chance there if he had fought with that army while warping in stuff in his base.

Seeing half the army die pointlessly as he tried to run from stimmed marauders with shells was just painful.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

To be fair, Adel got caught out of position and lost 3 immortals and a handful of zealots for nothing. Also was floating about 500 minerals.

kedinik on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kedinik wrote: »

Yes...but I would like to use this game as an example of why you don't see a lot of warp prism play. It just wasn't that effective, especially when you compare it to just how effective the terran drops were in the same game. Now please, nobody take this out of context...I'm NOT trying to say warp prism play can't be effective (I'm sure it can)...but when you compare the effectiveness of Adel's warp prism play to throzain's infantry drops...well one was waaaay more effective than the other. Again...I just think this game is a good general example of why you see a lot of drop play from terran..but not the same kind of warp prism play from protoss.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PantsB wrote: »

FoundationandEmpire.png
    Fucking MULES

Oh god haha :D

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yeah, that loss was his own fault, but i can't help but notice that the harass did pretty much nothing to slow down thorzain. it'd be nice if toss had harass options that weren't either really expensive or relatively ineffective. phoenixes are the sole exception

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Olorin wrote: »

Yes...but I would like to use this game as an example of why you don't see a lot of warp prism play. It just wasn't that effective, especially when you compare it to just how effective the terran drops were in the same game. Now please, nobody take this out of context...I'm NOT trying to say warp prism play can't be effective (I'm sure it can)...but when you compare the effectiveness of Adel's warp prism play to throzain's infantry drops...well one was waaaay more effective than the other. Again...I just think this game is a good general example of why you see a lot of drop play from terran..but not the same kind of warp prism play from protoss.

no, you see, its because only uncreative cretins play toss and masters of ingenuity play terran. la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la~

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

no, you see, its because only uncreative cretins play toss and masters of ingenuity play terran. la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la~

Please don't take my comments down that road....

Maratastik on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Link to whatever you guys are watching?

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, to be fair AdelScott outplayed ThorZain pretty hard for most of the game, and ThorZain literally 1ta'd his way to victory as soon as AS slipped up a little.

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/TeamLiquidTV

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Adelscott apparently tilts like a mofo

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Please don't take my comments down that road....

sorry, i suppose that is a bit like playing with fire :P

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    1 rax expand, 3 bunkers with 8 marines in them at 6:30, as well as decent production.

Not sure how terrans actually lose to 4 gates, seeing as how this was close positions lost temple :P.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, to be fair AdelScott outplayed ThorZain pretty hard for most of the game, and ThorZain literally 1ta'd his way to victory as soon as AS slipped up a little.

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/TeamLiquidTV

That's the hardest thing to deal with about stim. You can't run away from an engagement whereas the terran can. That is why small mistakes on the protoss side often loses games.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad to see a pro-toss has the same problem dealing with cliff drops like I do...

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    this game and the last literally feels like a SC2 parody of the song "anything you can do"

Guek on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

the two should not be compared. with wrap prisms you have control over how much you want to dedicate to it, with dropships it's usually much more all in. Many times you'll lose the drop which takes a significantly bigger hit to your army (1 medivac and 8 marines vs 1 WP and 3 or 4 stalkers, or more depending on how much you commit).

they just aren't the same

stop thinking they can be compared.

no one said that WP harassment has to be as effective as dship harrass. Its one tool of harassment that toss has and it should be used. I mean, terran could harass with a group of vikings, but its not cost effective. maybe we will find that WP harass just isn't worth it. that's so different because WP is so broad, you can choose which out of 4 or 5 units you warp in and how much to commit.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad they're (probably) removing those cliffs from LT.

It's just imbalanced to place cliffs right next to a natural when dropship tech and siege tech arrive faster than most viable P and Z counters to a cliff drop.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    blech. why didn't he blink into the main?

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, vikings seem to be cost-effective against stalkers in a straight-up fight.

Pretty sad.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just don't understand Adelscott's response to the force on the cliffs

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Pretty sad.

No real surprise there, stalkers are as weak as mutas in a straight up fight :P.

Pants, once he had the bunker there adel couldn't kill the tanks without losing his colossi before he had 3 of them+range. And even then it wouldn't be a sure shot.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adell scott crumbles under pressure, like day has been saying this whole time

thats why he loses

iowa on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Pretty sad.

I imagine the stimmed marauders and sieged tank had a pretty big hand in that fight.

TannerMS on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Frozenzen wrote: »

Pretty sad.

No real surprise there, stalkers are as weak as mutas in a straight up fight :P.

Pants, once he had the bunker there adel couldn't kill the tanks without losing his colossi before he had 3 of them+range. And even then it wouldn't be a sure shot.

I would have thought using the Col's vision to warp on top of the cliff would have made sense, zealots on the bunkers would reduce the impact of the tanks.

Easy to be an armchair QB though.

LOL they're playing [strike]stan[/strike]Dan

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Pretty sad.

i'm not sure if that's entirely true but either way, gateway units are awwwfuuuuuuul >_<

i really think adelscott should have done some blink harass with those colossi. it would have been pretty easy to do and it would have given him time to catch up on probes

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    iowa wrote: »

the two should not be compared. with wrap prisms you have control over how much you want to dedicate to it, with dropships it's usually much more all in. Many times you'll lose the drop which takes a significantly bigger hit to your army (1 medivac and 8 marines vs 1 WP and 3 or 4 stalkers, or more depending on how much you commit).

they just aren't the same

stop thinking they can be compared.

no one said that WP harassment has to be as effective as dship harrass. Its one tool of harassment that toss has and it should be used. I mean, terran could harass with a group of vikings, but its not cost effective. maybe we will find that WP harass just isn't worth it. that's so different because WP is so broad, you can choose which out of 4 or 5 units you warp in and how much to commit.

I'm sorry Iowa, I think you misunderstand me....I'm not trying to imply that warp prism play should be as good as terran drop play. I was just trying to use the game as an example of WHY you don't see as much warp prism play from toss as you do drop play from terran. In that game...Adel's warp prism play just wasn't effective to really be worth it IMO. It was a nice idea and all but it just didn't work out that great. I know it is just one example (which is why I'm not trying to say warp prisms are 100% useless) but it was a pretty good example of typical warp prism use.

You have complained about warp prisms not being used enough (which I actually mostly agree with) but I thought this game was a good example of why you don't see them get used very often. Again, I wasn't trying to imply warpprisms should be as good as dropships. Sorry for the misunderstanding on that.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TannerMS wrote: »

Pretty sad.

I imagine the stimmed marauders and sieged tank had a pretty big hand in that fight.

Nah, I'm talking about the end there. It was basically a dozen vikings and a few marauders versus like 10 stalkers; the vikings were cleaning up.

I think it's mostly because stalkers deal negligible damage against light targets.

kedinik on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

lololololololololol

"Gonna take one medivac and 8 marines that I already have, drop in, stim, kill a bunch of shit then run~~"

You seem to be forgetting that a dropship with marines does more damage faster than anything that can be warped in except for DT's and HT's, and toss has to specifically go for those whereas terran already has medivacs and marines.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TannerMS wrote: »

Pretty sad.

Nah, I'm talking about the end there. It was basically a dozen vikings and a few marauders versus like 10 stalkers; the vikings were cleaning up.

I think it's mostly because stalkers deal negligible damage against light targets.

Vikings are armored....

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah, nevermind.

I was forced to use banelings on some landed vikings once and it demolished the vikings, so I just kind of assumed they were light.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    with wrap prisms you have control over how much you want to dedicate to it, with dropships it's usually much more all in. Many times you'll lose the drop which takes a significantly bigger hit to your army (1 medivac and 8 marines vs 1 WP and 3 or 4 stalkers, or more depending on how much you commit).

Just throwing this out there. 1 medivac and 8 marines is 500/100. 1 warp prism and 3 stalkers is 500/75. They're basically the same cost.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    with wrap prisms you have control over how much you want to dedicate to it, with dropships it's usually much more all in. Many times you'll lose the drop which takes a significantly bigger hit to your army (1 medivac and 8 marines vs 1 WP and 3 or 4 stalkers, or more depending on how much you commit).

Just throwing this out there. 1 medivac and 8 marines is 500/100. 1 warp prism and 3 stalkers is 500/75. They're basically the same cost.

Actually, 1 warp prism and three stalkers are 575/150...

Maratastik on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You also forget that 8 stimmed Marines do about ONE BAJILLION more damage than 3 Stalkers.

8 stimmed Marines in your mineral line can kill half your workers before you are even able to react.
    3 Stalkers go....Pew.....pew.....pew.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm dumb and I don't play toss.

TheBog on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2011