As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• The FoolThe Fool Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Something about Swarm Keeper number 1 really does it for me. The heft of it really seems appropriate for the job, functional. The added weight around the arms is unique too, but not out of place if this girl handles swarms...and in a fantasy setting I can only assume they're killer, giant, magic, or mutated swarms. Best come prepared for those.

Also, dunno if it's too late to say, but I dig the horns on the left side wrangler. The idea of people associated with animals having clothing based on those animals resonates with me. Such as cowboys in leather, a hunter in fur, etc. Wearing the horns is like the next step up.

Always inspired by your stuff, keep at it Iruka.

The Fool on
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd love to see #2 more developed. :)

Ollie on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to rapid fire some ideas as they come to me because I'm too busy and distracted at work, but I'm desperate to comment.

Firstly, as the Fool commented, I think the bulkier designs are better. They seem to have more of an implication that the wearer (i.e. the Swarm Keeper) is physically removed from the swarm itself. I also think you should consider making some of the designs more asymmetrical. Right now they are all evenly balanced out, and while they look good, I think having the designs be either a bit lopsided or unbalanced would make them pop more. For example, consider falconers or other animal handlers that emphasize a dominant action in their trade with one of their arms.

As far as masks go, I don't entirely know the extent this character will be used, but I'm inclined to pick #2 because it gives you the most potential to convey the character's profession, but also allows the audience to see the Swarm Keeper's face, and therefore, emotions.

I know this all probably sounds a bit disjointed and schizophrenic, but I'm trying to fire these out when I can at work. More to come!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    5 Has the clearest silohuete to me. You can refine that costume more.

Good stuff though. try more thumbnails.

PROX on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I appreciate the comments, I no longer feel like I'm working in a vacuum. I hear you on the asymmetry, mars. When I work on the three I'll move some stuff around. I still have one class to go ( A shape shifting, spirit conjuring one whos name I have not hammered down. ) so I'll try to keep a more asymmetrical mentality going into that.

I like the bulkyness of one, but the player needs to be able to climb and explore. I sorta worry about how something that bulky will come across, which is why I didn't go full on beesuit. She both needs to be just a bit limber, and to keep electric bugs out of her mouth.

Iruka on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok, thanks Rook. That info is good to know. With that in mind, here's some more thoughts and opinions:

I like #1. The trim, form-fit legs convey the action-adventure of run/climb/explore that functionally the player-character will need, while the top heavy nature still conveys bee-keeper. Honestly, I even like the over sized hood on #1 as well, but it could be paired down to something closer to #4 and still have the same visual appeal, me thinks. With the added bonus of neck articulation.

Barring that, the mask on #7 gives the character a nice impression of being immersed in the swarm, as though the character is not just a handler but part of the swarm itself, the swarm there by being an extension of the character.

I like the bracers (suspenders, whatevers!) on #1 because it gives it a utilitarian look, as though they are in place to keep the upper wardrobe in place during the action-adventure, as opposed to keeping a pair of trousers held up. I also really like the v-neck "crest" type form of #4 and really like the cross laced look on the clavicle of #6. The more the wardrobe shows it's functionality within its form, the more it appeals to me.

EDIT: Also, I loved Final Fantasy 9 as well, for what it's worth.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I like #1 for its top heavy bulkiness but I also like #5's design too. 5 doesn't scream beekeeper, so I think it would need more of a mask thing to sell it.

The other ones are rad too but they seemed more like future ninjas and alien fencers than beekeepers.

earthwormadam on
    edited February 2011
    when I ran out of beekeeping reference I figured fencing was a good costume that was limber but had a face mask, so Im kinda happy the inspiration comes through. There is a little combat/exploration so looking a bit ninja like isnt an issue either, but I do want that essential feeling of a bee keeper.

I appreciate the feedback. right now Im leaning to 1, 5 and 6, but I'll be examining elements from all of them and trying to put something together.

I'll be doing some cleaning tonight, probably wont get to this till tomorrow, so pile the comments on and I'll stew on it.

Iruka on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    1 is by far my favorite.

Wassermelone on
  • PukioPukio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Echoing the general sentiment that the bulkier designs are the most pleasant. 1 and 2 are really great. I also like the general design aesthetic of 3 but I'm not sure it seems quite as functional for the job itself. 1 is by far the bitchin'est.

Pukio on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    1, 2, 6!!!
    I <3 6

It doesn't really sell the beekeeper design, but I think it looks badass. Kind of reminds me of a renaissance Dead Space :D

ninjai on
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    #1 looks the most similar to what you are looking for.
    #2 looks like a chinese butterfly catcher.
    #3 looks like a super hero dr.
    #4 looks like a fencer missing her sword.
    #5 looks like a space swarmer thing with swarmer tech.
    #6 looks like a female version of the guy from "dead space the game"
    #7 looks like a insect haha.
    #8 looks like shes ready to go underwater diving.

So I say 1, 5, and 7. I think it would be cool to have like insects floating about
    behind what you draw

JeckalHyde on
    edited May 2016
    Maggot arms is growing on me
    robpdksxsrkg.jpg

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Maggot arms is growing on me

You mean "Maggot arms ARE growing on me."

EWWW!!!!! O_o

Also, I like #3

The big sleeves (or maggots?) really sell the whole bee person thing

ninjai on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    2 and 3 are awesome.

m3nace on
  • The FoolThe Fool Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm leaning toward the new design 3 for all the same reasons, but the spiked glove on 2 adds some action. It makes for a more threatening look.

The Fool on
  • xXSanguinariasXxxXSanguinariasXx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are the character's appearances going to progress? I think #2 and #5 would be ideal for a character starting out, with progression towards #1, #4 and #6.

In #8, I see a diver. In #7, a grasshopper. In #3, an engineer or post-apoc character.

xXSanguinariasXx on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd like to see you work with #8, because it seems the least defined so far. Which is why it intrigues me - you left yourself a lot to work with

Also, #5!

Edit: (Is my favorite)

melting_doll on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For the maggot arms, i would give a little bit of gap between the folds and her abdomen area- right now her silhouette is just kind of a blob with legs instead of girl with two giant protective sleeves.

I do, however, like the general design of the maggot arms the most.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited February 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    For the maggot arms, i would give a little bit of gap between the folds and her abdomen area- right now her silhouette is just kind of a blob with legs instead of girl with two giant protective sleeves.

Thats mostly what I like about it. I've always like the look of bigger torso's with small/thin/short legs. Gives even serious designs/characters a slightly lighthearted appeal.

ninjai on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I pick... 1 and 5.

Also I see all three of these latest characters as bee-keepers. Which actually has a lot of potential for a really cool character concept.

Flay on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the hat with the simple face veil reads more bee keeper to me than all the others on no. 2, but I'm also with the no. 1 crowd for silhouette. I'd combine the hat from 2 on No. 1 and see how that fairs.

GurtPerk on
    edited May 2016
    I am totally working on those dudes. But I will be leaving this here for now
    nyx3fx6jqhy1.jpg

Iruka on
    Honk.jpg 111.9K
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really should read MSPA some time
    if just to understand what all these things are
    (that is an MSPA, or at least MSPA-style character, right?)

Tam on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, Its an MSPA character. Shits going down in this comic, and I'm so in. But I love all the characters people hate.

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    I really should read MSPA some time
    if just to understand what all these things are
    (that is an MSPA, or at least MSPA-style character, right?)

I would get cracking. If you started today, homestuck would take you 2 weeks of nonstop reading to catch up. Thats what It took me 2 months ago.

And OMFG is it good.

BTW Iruka. IDK wtf is going on with that clown right now, I don't remember anything about pie. I'm with karkat, he's fuckin creepy...

But that picture is perfect. Creepy and the colors : o)

ninjai on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's pretty sweet, Iruka.

I think my only problem with it is that his elbows are implausibly low honk

Fugitive on
    edited May 2016
    huh, indeed they are. I didnt really draw his arms, I just kinda threw some hands in. how problematic, Im getting back on track though:
    02c6eaooyrwe.jpg

Iruka on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think they all look good, even though I can't tell which Homestuck characters they're supposed to be.

(#1 and #Maggotarms are coming along pretty nicely!)

Fugitive on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I like 1 if it had the helmet and glove of 2...

earthwormadam on
    edited February 2011
    O Wai did you have to go and make this so hard. All 3 are fantastic. IDK If I can pick just one.

ninjai on
    edited May 2016
    you're so needy ewa!

7dm7a5y4i43x.jpg

Iruka on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think they're pretty cool, but I think you could push the interest of the silhouette a little harder. You've got variation, but (as an example) in the helmets, I think there's a lot of room for playing around with the shape, and making it more interesting...pushing the variations and "flow" of the outline. Giving it weight and movement.

Same thing for the legs and poofy arm cloth...kinda tubey, overall...I think you can push the character of the shapes a little more and make the silhouette more visually interesting.

NightDragon on
    edited February 2011
    I'll black it out and mess around before finalizing anything, thanks ND.

The priest shapeshifter....prestishifter, I'll try to go crazy with.

Iruka on
    edited May 2016
    By go crazy, I meant not really. The shifter is kinda naked be design, because she pretty much can turn into an idol or call on spectral protection willy-nilly. Because of the variety of types of idols, her base form shouldn't be very animal specific, just kinda tribal. I didnt really think about it when I was talking the talk. I will be making the idols soon, and those will be crazy. Like. Hog wild. Promise.

z4gmzn9ubyk0.jpg

I did black out the two swarm dudes i plan to use, I like the basic shape alot so I didn't really do much to it. It helps me see how to better smooth it out though.

y58f26wnli3x.jpg

Iruka on
    edited February 2011
    5, 6, 7/8 for the preist shifter. They've got a lot of character that reads supernatural/natural. though 7 and 8 are pretty similar, maybe try to combine some of the tribal markings with the fur? I love the glowing orb stuff from 5

2 has a good silhouette. I love the shapes protruding from it, but the costume looks very plain imo

ninjai on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    8 or 3 for the shifters, 1 or 3 for the blackouts :}

Kochikens on
  • xXSanguinariasXxxXSanguinariasXx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For the Shifter progression, I'd break it down into three sets:

Good: 0, 3, 4
    Better: 2, 1, 7

Best: 8, 6, 5

I think 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 seem more African-themed, and 0, 1, 3, 4 are more Aztec / Mayan-themed. They all look interesting.

xXSanguinariasXx on
  • Michael VoxMichael Vox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good Lord, these are FANTASTIC. You don't just have the perspective and lighting, but the ENERGY of the scenes. I'd love to see more!

Michael Vox on
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I started on some silhouettes today but wasnt feeling it. I ended up playing with more soft brushes instead. The colors on this one didn't compress so hot, I'll fix that purple smudge in the morning
    airbrushnia.jpg

When I get back to the shifters, I think I'll be working mostly with 3, 7 and 8. Maybe steal some touches from the others.

Iruka on