As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PO] Perpetuum Online - Take your robots out of my Eve

RhonynRhonyn Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
perpetuumintro.jpg
Perpetuum-Online has officially launched!

Perpetuum Online is an EVE-like, "sandbox", sci-fi MMOR, taking place on a far away planet inhabited by robots. It's been in development for quite some time now, and there were a fair numbers of goons (of eve-online fame) who played beta.
The game was recently "released", although much like EVE was, it will still be under development for a long time to come. The developers are definitely dedicated, and do fix patching/small updates almost on a weekly basis. They speak of some very interesting large expansions to come, possibly including terra-forming, player made structures, more robot classes etc.
The game is pretty much EVE, on land with Robots. I've personally enjoyed it greatly though, and in some ways enjoy it more than I did EVE early in it's development.
Here's the launch trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqSXgZfdBDM
Official site: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/

The Robots have modular fittings just like EVE ships, requiring reactor and cpu, then using accumulator to run (capacitor), and the skill system is very similar. Only instead of setting a skill to train, you acquire points over time which you get to spend on various skills any time you want.
The game world currently consists of 6 different islands you can travel between. The 3 inner islands, referred to as Alpha islands, are syndicate protected, thus you are unable to openly engage in pvp with out mutual consent, via the "flag" button.
The 3 outer islands, referred to as Beta islands, are where the conquerable/controllable outposts are as well as pve spawns and resources not found on the Alpha islands. You may be openly attacked on these islands, except for in blue areas found in a small radius around the incoming cross-island teleport stations.

islandssmall.png
Link to large version: http://img.waffleimages.com/e78e190474179a83cf372fa01e250c1b114ce1ff/World%20Map.JPG

Combat is more "real-time" and very dependent upon terrain, cover, and range. It is much much harder to escape once engaged into combat, as your unable to cover great distance faster than opponents in most bots, unlike EVE and the possibility to warp away. PvP roaming and greifing is popular on the beta islands and is where the territorial control system of certain outposts takes place, referred to as "Intrusion events". These consist of capturing/defending points to capture/defend the Outpost and fall on a rotating schedule. The reward for successfully defending a controlled outpost is a token allowing you to postpone an upcoming "intrusion" event, and obviously control of the outpost, which offers better industrial/refining/prototyping facilities, as well as a cut of market/refining takes.

perpetuumcombat.jpg

There is also full fledged mining/industry/production side to the game, much like EVE's, although I find it simpler than EVE's system to make tiered items. Industrialists must learn knowledge to build equipment from the "kernels" collected off dead robots, then prototype the item from the knowledge, which costs a great deal of resources but has slightly better stats than the standard item, and can be reverse engineered into a CT (blueprint copy, sticking with the even references) and placed into a production line where you can mass produce the item as a normal item at a fraction of the cost of prototyping it. There are 4 escalating tiers of equipment that require the lower level + items to upgrade and prototype to produce as well.
There's missions too if your into that, bounty hunting, geology, mineral exploitation, transport, etc. They pay money and items, and faction ammo which can only be gotten through them. The money gained from missions are actually pretty good.

Current subscription cost is 9.95US/8.95EU for 30 days.
To play go to: http://www.perpetuum-online.com/
Register, download, and subscribe.

It is a great time to join, as it is still very early in launch, the first heavy mechs are just beginning to be produced. In the not too distant future we will get to see and participate in full on Mech battles once again!
Much like EVE in it's early stages there are tons of markets to be taken advantage of, exploited, and pillaged, as well as the ever-present trolling megalomaniac personalities that such games attract. A great time to be had by all.

How to play with Chill Brosefs\Goons:
The largest concentration of Chill Brosefs\Goons are in the corp, Not Amused [N-A]. I am one of the Goons assisting with recruiting and helping build relations between NA and other corporations. I have joined rather recently but have found the game not only to be fun, but the NA leadership to be supportive of the "lets have fun" ideology. The majority of them are goons or at the least have a goony sense of humor and chillax attitude, and aren't sperging pubbies who will get their feelings hurt over racial slurs and dead baby jokes. We were formerly in what unfortunately became a horrible e-bushido alliance, but we trolled them too much and left, or were kicked depending on who you talk to, and they wrote an 11 page alliance charter about it because we didn't "respect them".

We do not openly recruit in game, but obviously accept SA members and now penny arcadians. Thus anyone in corp at this point are guys we've been hangin with since beta or new goons, all pretty cool dudes. We do ask you've been an active PA member for at least a decent amount of time, and have a reasonable post history. We arn't trying to be too selective, but we would like to filter out the usual SPIES problem present in these games. The only other requirement is you must be able to use vent and have a mic, and verify it.

We were one of the few major pvp participants during beta testing and are again mainly focused on having fun blowing shit up whenever possible. The game requires great pooling of resources in order to build and mass produce the mechs and heavy mechs and tiered equipment. While we welcome you to engage in any endeavors you choose, corp contribution is vital, in the form of mining/taxes/and participation, and we generally provide mechs/bots free of charge to active members. You are not required to donate or do anything within the corporation. There is simply a structure in place to facilitate your growth if you do decide to contribute.

To be accepted into corp :
Enter (dock) into a Terminal (station), and use the search tool to find the Not Amused corp, right click on corp name, then apply to join (for the reason, feel free to mention penny arcade), you may then contact via in game PM Rhonyn Peacemaker. I will ask you to log onto Vent and verify yourself.

Getting started in corp:
First thing, run the starter/tutorial missions at the end of which you will receive a light bot instead of the starter bot.
There are usually always people active, mining or killing npcs or killing other players, just ask in corp and join vent to get in on the action.

Character Creation & Choosing Race:
Unless you plan on only doing full scale production and prototyping (which I wouldn’t recommend as a starting/primary account) it is best to stick with a pure combat/military build, thus when creating your character you want to pick the options that focus on boosting the Tactics & Mechatronics attributes. In fact training every skill in the game to max, the most optimal build is still the pure military build, primarily because of the high ranking Robot Control skills that base on those attributes.
Download the Perpettum Planner (http://www.perpetuum-planner.com/) to play around with attribute build and skill plans as well. You can make a build with slightly higher Heavy Indy / R & D Attributes to make support skills and ewar skills a little less painful, and in the end it will only cost you a couple days time (which is nothing) but I wouldn’t let the Tactics/Mech attributes fall below 25.

There are 3 different races, with corresponding racial weapons, ewar, bots, damage type, resistance and color. Each plays of the other, being weaker to one, while stronger against another.

Asintec – Yellow – Lasers – Primary Thermal Damage – Seismic Weakness – High Kinetic resistance – sensor suppressor ewar
Numiqol – Blue – EM Guns – Primary Kinetic Damage – Thermal Weakness – High Seismic resistance – ECM ewar
Pelistal – Green – Missles – Primary Seismic Damage – Kinetic Weakness – High Thermal resistanc – Energy Drainer/nuet ewar

Each weapon type/race has it’s ups and downs. Lasers have the longest range, but take intensive accumulator (cap) to run. EM Guns have the highest raw damage, but the shortest overall range. Missles can fire over terrain and hills (guns require line of sight), but have the lowest raw damage.
There are also Firearms (autocannons/machineguns) that are non-racial and can be mounted on any bot. Although you get no dmg bonuses, the falloff/crit-hit bonuses from mounted bot still apply. Although they are cool looking, they generally pale in comparison to the racial weapons, and are only recommended for use when waiting for skills to develop, or against npc’s.

Types of Bots:
Light bots – beginner small racial bot, low hp, limited slot small gun boats.
Assault bots – small high damage oriented gun boats.
Light ewar bots – very light/fast, tackling, racial ewar specialized
Mechs – large upright walking med gun damage platform
Ewar Mechs – large upright walking ewar specialized
Heavy Mechs – huge ass slow uber dps/tank

There are also 3 different sizes (light/mech/heavymech) of industry bots for mining and harvesting as well, non racially dependent.

The lights are pretty much all the same, and you want to get out of them into and assault or ewar asap, if you want to be any help in combat situations.
Yellow ewars are the fastest, tackling bonused, most versatile. Blue ewar are the slowest, but most annoying (ecm, lock breaking) but highly skill intensive to use well. Green ewar are good for cap draining/breaking shield tanks, but are very under utilized and under powered currently, they need some loving from the devs in all honesty. If you really want to be an annoying fuck in with electronic warfare, go blue or yellow.
The small ewar bots are extremely powerful in numbers, and a common fotm tactic currently is to run around in a large group of them, ad a well organized skilled squad can kite, kill, and out run almost anything without major backup.
Assault wise, the laser bot and missle bot are considered the best at what they do, although the missile assault is dreadfully slow, and generally all flavors are about the same just the differences per race.
As for Mechs and Heavy Mechs, each race has it’s ups and downs. I’ve played with all of them at some point or another, and found every one enjoyable. The blue/em gun mechs have rep bonuses and great dps, the yellow/laser mechs can have extreme range, but weak dps in falloff and very skill intensive to run cap stable. Green/missle mechs are very nice in the fact missles fly over terrain and mountain, and you can take cover while still delivering damage, but they have the weakest dps overall.

I’m gonna stop there, as there’s way too much detail and I could essentially go on forever comparing and contrasting the races. Either way I think each race has it’s own fun toys, and if you really change your mind you can respec your char within the first 45 days, and get all your accumulated EP points back thus far.
Thats right, you can completely reset your character within the first 45 days, so you don't waste a single EP!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or ingame.

OP Taken and edited with permission by the creator.

Rhonyn on

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    Kinda-maybe considering giving this a shot.

Also, hotlinked images and broken copy-pasta youtube URL.

Echo on
    edited January 2011
    Welp, made a dude named Echelon.

Echo on
  • RhonynRhonyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I have simplified the recruiting process.

Correction: Apply to the corporation ingame (per the OP's instructions) then contact me directly. Feel free to post here so I can verify your identity, etc.

Rhonyn on
    edited January 2011
    Well, doing missions nets me less money than I spent on the ammo in preparation for the mission, so I suppose I should hook up with the corp. Sending you an in-game mail.

Echo on
  • SiddySiddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    O hai, can i join N-A?

Siddy on
    Siddy, don't make 650kb gifs your sig, damnit.
    villiage.gif
    edited January 2011
    here is some pew pew video footage of actual perpetuum PPPPPPPVPPPPPPPPPP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ewK9qYLZU

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That looks an awful lot like EVE.

Shanadeus on
  • StorkStork Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah but the names in the overview are yellow instead of red.

Stork on
    edited January 2011
    That's because copr in question have no enemies that deserve red status... or so they say.

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
    edited January 2011
    Here is a newbie starting guide.

Skills:

So you just started Perpetuum? You've already read my post about the generalities of Perpetuum, now its time to actually move your bots around and kill things. Here is a skill plan that you can train within 2 hours of logging in for the first time which will let you both PVP and PVE from the get go. It is not an end all be all of skill plans, but it will give you every skill you need to fit and use your races ewar and assault bots. Once you get into corp we can guide you on the best way to skill up from here. To apply these skills go to your profile button, click on extensions on the left hand side, and apply EP to the following skills. (you may need to wait up to 2 hours to finish everything off, but if you run the tutorials and tutorial missions right away you'll be fine)

GENERAL

ELECTRONICS
        -Data Processing 6
        -Demobilization 2
        -Jamming Electronics 4
        -Long Distance Jamming 1
        -Targeting 2

ENGINEERING
        -Optimized Weapons Usage 3
        -Reactor Expansion 5

WEAPON USAGE
        -Target Analysis 4

ROBOT CONTROL
        -Basic Robotics 4
        -Navigation 7
        -Spec Ops Robot Control 1

RACE SPECIFIC

(Thelodica)
        -Precision Firing 3
        -Basic Optics 3
        -Improved Falloff 2
        -Thelodica Robot Control 4

(Pelistal)
        -Siasmics 3
        -Basic Ballistics 3
        -Propellent mixing 2
        -Pelistal Robot Control 4

(Nuimqol)
        -Percision Firing 3
        -Basic Magnostatics 3
        -Improved Falloff 2
        -Nuimqol Robot Control 4

Basic Moneymaking:

Money in Perpetuum is called NIC. It really isn't that hard to make if you know what you're doing. Each race has a color generally assigned to it.

Thelodica – Yellow – Lasers
    Numinqol – Blue – Guns
    Peletal – Green – Missiles

In general, remember that yellow kills blue, blue kills green, and green kills yellow. Your goal should be to find an NPC spawn of the color you can kill and farm it for awhile. Please note that you can only shoot NPC wrecks if you were the first person to shoot them, its retarded I know but thats how it works. Inside these wrecks you will find damaged modules, commodities, and items called kernels. I would suggest only looting the kernels at first, they're easy to loot and have a high resell value.

If you're interested in mining its really best to do from a second account. We have mining skill plans as well but I won't bore you with those.

Basic PvP:

Theres really nothing I can type that will make you any good at PvP. Your best is to tag along with corpmates and we'll gladly show you the ropes. We're constantly out shooting things (getting blown up) so it won't take you very long to pick up the ropes. The 2 starting pvp bot types are Ewar and Assault bots. Assault bots are designed to punish the enemy targets with pure DPS and an ok'ish tank. Each race has its own ewar bonuses, but we have you specced for demobilizers at first because tackling is the single most important aspect of pvp. Here is a list and description of all the ewar.

Demobilizers – These are the lifeblood of pvp. When applied to a target they reduce its movement speed by a significant percentage and can stack twice on a single target.
    ECM – When applied to a target there is a chance that it will lose all of its “locks”.
    Sensor Suppressors – When applied to a target their targeting speeds and lock range are reduced by a percentage.
    Energy Neuts – When applied to a target they will lose a significant amount of accumulator.
    Energy Drainers – When applied to a target they will lose a not as significant amount of accumulator, but you will gain that accumulator yourself.

Here is a list of each races Ewar bot and its bonuses

Thelodica - Intakt – Demobs, ECM, Sensor Suppressors
    Numinquol – Cameleon – ECM, Demobs, Sesnor Suppressors
    Pelestial – Troiar – Energy Drainers/Neuts

And as a final note, please remember to do all your initial tutorials and tutorial missions (there are 10 + the 4 tutorials). These will give you a very solid footing on how the game works.

Rhonyn on
    edited January 2011
    Siddy on
    villiage.gif
    edited January 2011
    Siddy wrote: »
    Videos

Seriously? you are reposting stunt's (aka Opticalrape) videos here? After he got probated TWICE on the something awful forums for crapping on that thread?

In the future, choose your propaganda more carefully.

Rhonyn on
    edited January 2011
    Civil war has begun, but not for us.

Our old friends that were enemies that are now friends have decided to kick out all the worst members of their alliance, let us back in, and proceed to wreck havoc. If successful, we will have an outpost on the beta islands (the eve equivalent would be 0.0, sorta) which will give us easier access to the rarer mineral epritron (used in a bunch of things, like ewar bots, mechs, etc) and more opportunity for pvp.

Rhonyn on
    edited January 2011
    Rhonyn wrote: »
    Civil war has begun, but not for us.

Our old friends that were enemies that are now friends have decided to kick out all the worst members of their alliance, let us back in, and proceed to wreck havoc. If successful, we will have an outpost on the beta islands (the eve equivalent would be 0.0, sorta) which will give us easier access to the rarer mineral epritron (used in a bunch of things, like ewar bots, mechs, etc) and more opportunity for pvp.

denied.

By the way, we got the 15 days friend code thing coming up.

Also, new patch, more MW like stuff, like active/passive radar like thinggy or something.

And plants, that you can plant, like farmer... and harvest them later, if they did not get burn down by visiting griefparty.

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, I got a 4 day trial to this...um...how are these guys not sued by CCP for IP theft?

Anon the Felon on
    edited January 2011
    So, I got a 4 day trial to this...um...how are these guys not sued by CCP for IP theft?

There is a pervasive rumor that they licensed a bunch of tech from ccp. I don't believe it for an instant, but i hear it often enough that it merits mentioning.

Rhonyn on
    edited January 2011

Point at the IP stolen.

Echo on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rhonyn wrote: »

There is a pervasive rumor that they licensed a bunch of tech from ccp. I don't believe it for an instant, but i hear it often enough that it merits mentioning.

That's pretty interesting actually, and makes some sense.

Edit: I'm not going to get baited into arguing a point that I was making as a joke. If you've played Eve and played this, the similarities are amusing.

Anon the Felon on
  • RabidTreeMonkeyRabidTreeMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hmmm... looks interesting enough although that gameplay video Siddy linked ain't doing the game any favors in the graphics dept.

RabidTreeMonkey on
    edited February 2011
    A PATCH

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

Radar range no more fixed 1 km all see all. IE, all you passive sensor mechwarrior freaks, dust of you ECM

Robot paint job bling part one, scratches.

Farmers got something to farm: Plants. This also mean assholes like me got something to grief, to no end.
    Hide them well.

Mineral re balance/retouch, the grate mineral famine of our time? (remember when megacyte was 19k/unit in EVE?)

Minor map tweaks on Domahalolrn. N-A will now get ganked 0.23 seconds faster!

Maybe more, maybe not.

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
    edited February 2011
    Grate Domhalarn civil war ended yesterday. When coalition forces of Infestation and southern Domhalarn pushed northen elements from they last stronghold of Koyokili outpost.

Forum drama is on the way.

Siddy on
    villiage.gif
    edited February 2011
    Devs took away all our moneis because of borked insurance :(

Siddy on
    villiage.gif