As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fashion: Sometimes, a Dude's Gotta Look Like a Pair of Uggs

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    It gives off a Victorian vibe, but not like non functional, and still modern. Tres classy!

Also coats are something you really shouldn't feel bad spending big money on, gonna be wearing it often enough in the cold months

But I already have a winter coat that I got a year ago and is still in great condition.

Maybe I will win the lottery!

I would improve my odds by starting to play the lottery.

Liiya on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Liiya, you need a sugar daddy.

NotASenator on
    edited February 2011
    Liiya on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i have like 3 coats

i love coats ;m;

mensch-o-matic on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    but...you only have 3

I don't even like coats, and I have like 10

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    whoa i had a dream last night about shopping for and buying a rad coat and didn't remember until just now reading this thread

i think my brain is trying to tell me something(!!)

but haha too bad, brain. try again when i have, like, any money

redhead on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have two coats.

Anyone know how to get the smell of dog pee out of things?

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited February 2011
    Cover it with the smell of human pee

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    edited February 2011
    Throw it away.

Liiya on
    edited February 2011
    I can't throw away my expensive jackets, yo.

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited February 2011
    Liiya on
    edited February 2011
    yeah I'm gonna try vinegar right now.

that should work.

Hopefully my sleeve will be dry before I go outside today

Staleghoti on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    when you consider that i can only afford one coat its plenty!

mensch-o-matic on
    edited February 2011
    I have one North Face parka

and a Windbreaker by Armada.

so i have a winter coat, and a spring-fall coat.

Used to have a nice wool jacket for fancy pageant walkin but I got fatter and now it is just an expensive thing in the closet

Staleghoti on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i love my pea coat

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2011
    your pee coat?

moocow on
    imttnk.png
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dudes I need new shoes. My uncle just gave me a metric fuckton of new classy shoes for business wear and stuff but I need some new casual wear stuff. I don't do shoe shopping very often and usually I go to like payless and get some cheap ones that last a couple years. I thought about doing something different this time. I thought about getting these:

black-chucks.jpg

But I also like having comfort so I take it I need to get some insoles for these right?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wear those. I typically have only one pair of shoes that I wear until they fall apart, so I've had my chucks since summer of '09, and they're still going strong.

Starting to look kinda rugged, though.

Wombat!! on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    I have two coats.

Anyone know how to get the smell of dog pee out of things?

drycleaning

PiptheFair on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wombat!! wrote: »
    I wear those. I typically have only one pair of shoes that I wear until they fall apart, so I've had my chucks since summer of '09, and they're still going strong.

Do you wear insoles with them? Last time I looked at them my friend kinda freaked me out going on and on about the intricacies of purchasing a pair of chucks. Saying how to get them a size bigger and get like these super expensive insoles and shit and then I decided to go to payless instead.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    Rolo wrote: »

Huh! There are five in the UK and I am not tempted.

Liiya on
    edited February 2011
    Liiya wrote: »

Huh! There are five in the UK and I am not tempted.

sugarsugar.jpg

not even for Johnathan P. | $$$$$ ?

Brolo on
    edited February 2011
    what a scrub

I have 6$'s in my name

PiptheFair on
    edited February 2011
    Need-a-date-sugar-baby.jpg

man what they hell are they implying with this pic

that man's underwear is twice the size of that woman's torso

should could wear his undies like a cape

Brolo on
    edited February 2011
    Not even Jonathan P.

Liiya on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    need a date, fatass?

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited February 2011

http://thehairpin.com/2011/02/the-best-of-sexual-harassment-stock-photography/

PiptheFair on
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

ahahahaha

sex-har-9.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Brolo on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think people know enough of my outfits.

zonugal I would pay good money for a post about your outfits and how you select them

Perhaps Monday I will write up a quick something.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Veretas wrote: »

Do you wear insoles with them? Last time I looked at them my friend kinda freaked me out going on and on about the intricacies of purchasing a pair of chucks. Saying how to get them a size bigger and get like these super expensive insoles and shit and then I decided to go to payless instead.

I had a pair of Jack Purcells, which are very similar to Chucks. They came with a really comfy insole and were my favorite shoes ever. I am sort of hard on shoes for some reason, despite being thin for my height. Maybe I drag my feet or something, I don't know. Anyway, I walked about five miles a day in them, and wore them pretty much every day. They didn't last a year. Things came unglued everywhere and the soles wore really thin.

I don't think I would buy them again. They normally sell for about $60. I expected them to be more durable.

DouglasDanger on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    apologies, but this is a pet-peeve. the "ladies button to the left" thing due to maidservants, that's partially lore; men were just as liable to have dressers, if not moreso, given the difficulty of getting into armor without some sort of squire. and the personal attendant who can't figure out a buttonhole on the 'wrong' side probably ain't getting paid. there's no one agreed-upon reason for the placement of buttonholes, really. internet people have opinions:
    "It actually dates from victorian times, when it was seen as unseemly and unwomanly for women to be wearing clothing that was too much like a man's. Also because that is when buttoned clothing for women really came to the fore in the guise of 'tailor-mades' (i.e. suits), and garments that reflected military clothing. [...] However, on clothing prior to the Victorian period (as evidenced by many, many extant garments both in museums and in private collections) there was no hard and fast rule for men's clothing or women's clothing. It wasn't unheard of among poorer people for the buttonholes to be sewn up, and the buttons sewn to the other side of the garment to increase its life."

"[...] for the most part, women's clothing did not button in the front but in the back (and it made it handy for the noble women's servant girl to get them dressed.) This also explains the men's servants buttoning them from the front, and the need to make it easier for them as well."

"Traditionally, men's garments button left over right. However, at one time, both men’s and women’s wear had buttons on the left. During the Middle Ages, men’s buttons were changed to the right to enable one to open the coat with the left hand and draw their sword from across the left hip with the right hand."

re: Civil War reenactment costumes: "For middle and upper classes the modern rules apply (ie different for men and women). for lower classes it's possible that they may have carried on the older tradition of switching sides to increase the life of the garment."

"One theory is that the gender closings were only standardized as ready-to-wear became widespread, and that was later in the 19th century."

so, there are various explanations.
    1. it was due to the majority of self-dressers being right-handed, and
      • liable to draw a sword across the hip, or
      • breastfeeding or carrying a baby on the left, leading another with the right hand (what?),
    2. it was easier for the tailor (and conveniently, the maid and valet) to do up the buttons,
    3. women's fashion differentiated from men's due to considerations of style or propriety,
    4. there was no rigid bespoke tradition, with the placement varying throughout the garment's life in order to prolong its use,
    5. the emergence of ready-to-wear as a phenomenon brought manufacturing standardization and the segmentation of markets.

i suspect it's some combination of 2-5, with heavier emphasis on the latter two. i wish i could find this article: Lopez, Judith. “Buttonholes: Some Differences in Gender-Related Front Closures.” Dress, Vol. 20 (1993): 74-78.

and for those not interested in the wall of text, or alternately, as a reward for wading through, a pretty:
    fascinator1.jpg
    maybe i'm just old, but most of the fascinators/people wearing them i run across are ostentatious or overly twee. but when it works, da-yum. i admire these etsy shops.

this site is fun in a paper doll/collage sort of way.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

If you buy insoles for your Chucks you're doing it wrong

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    this has been my only really significant fashion purchase lately

it fits so well. one of those times you try something on just for the hell of trying something on you don't intend to buy but it was just too damned good

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

ahahahaha

http://thehairpin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/sex-har-9.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

6tk3s3.jpg

Garlic Bread on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    sex-har-19.jpg

Antimatter on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daric wrote: »

If you buy insoles for your Chucks you're doing it wrong

This is the correct reply, and I whole-heartedly endorse it.

Wombat!! on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was extremely gratified to find out that one of my suits I haven't worn in a while actually fits really well. Go me!

Peen on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh actually speaking of all-stars i did also pick up a new pair to go with aforementioned jacket

makes for a fucking killer outfit but i had to return to goddamn ballsweating summer where all i can wear is hawaii shorts and thongs*

*not that kind. don't be vulgar.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    sex-har-19.jpg

seriously has this ever happened to anyone

random woman in a mink coat just grabbing your butt in the lunchroom

Brolo on
This discussion has been closed.