As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

House of Flying DOODLES (Occasionally NSFW)

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    AOB: Are those cans, or mugs? If thats soda, your desk is reminiscent of my own..

Iruka on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Taking a break from working on my Battle Tourney entry, I thought I'd do a little sketch in a slightly different style, hopefully a little more toned down from my usual anatomical exagerrations, and doing a little stuff with shading and tone, which I'm completely terrible at.

RealismWut.jpg
    This is about four times the size of my original sketch. Pardon my notes scrawled across his torso.

Munch on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Iruka wrote: »
    AOB: Are those cans, or mugs? If thats soda, your desk is reminiscent of my own..

Madam, I can assure you that the situation is far more dire than you expect.

EDIT: Is a "draw/paint your desk as a still life" practice thread a good idea? I'm thinking yes, but what the hell do I know?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh wow, that's gross Bacon. Zero too?

NeoRedXIII on
    edited May 2007
    I think thats a great Idea, AOB. And if my parents hadn't made me clean up I really wouldn't be that far behind in cans. Pepsi addict, here, though.

Iruka on
  • POK_SALADPOK_SALAD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My art ( now in IMG tags) D:

Spider.jpg

I'm not sure if it's too big or not but since everyone( well , just two actually ) wanted the drawings in IMG tags .. Here you go !

Critics ? Comments ?

I think the bottom left guy looks a bit wonky compared to the rest and the layout's not spaced properly.
    For those not in the know . . . I'ts the members from a local band where i stay.

POK_SALAD on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    More crummy figure practice. Tomorrow I start trying some poses from imagination, to see if I'm actually learning anything from this.

figure19up2.jpg

Here's some bonus doodles that I should really have put more effort in to (spoilered for incompleteness).
    dragon1qx0.jpg

(Oh man... Those arms... The horror! I really only put them in there as an experiment, but it's still really crummy anatomy. Oh, and it was originally going to be a triceratops, funny that...)
    stump1gy2.jpg

(Well, it was supposed to be a combination of an octopus and a stump. I still like the idea though, maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.)

Flay on
  • POK_SALADPOK_SALAD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Scofield-1.jpg

Micheal Scofield

POK_SALAD on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    natri: love your pen stuff
    wakkawa: you need to make a tutorial on the art of drawing the womenzzsss

XAL on
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like this but also realize that there are a ton of mistakes on it right now. It doesn't help that I slapped the bottom three sets of stairs on there in all of about 10 minutes.

stairswip1jb7.jpg

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been lurking in AC for a while, afraid to post something. I mainly doodle at school and the such, but I've been wanting to get serious with my drawings, so I figured now would be a good time for advice.

I just saw Pirates 3 and am in a Cutlass-filled haze so here's my first AC Post:
    yarrrrrrrrkx0.jpg

I'm not gonna be one of those guys and say "Ooooh, I'm just stylized.", critique at will.

EDIT: Fixed the back of the coat.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is he wearing a backless coat?

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Damn, knew I missed something.

Lemme fix that real quick.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • The LittleMan In The BoatThe LittleMan In The Boat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    OMG, AoB how much do you spend on Soda a week?! You're just like my brother and his wife. They don't even drink milk, juice, or water ... I don't drink soda, so I guess it's like equilibrium or something in are family.

Good lord ... all that money.

The LittleMan In The Boat on
    yerf.jpg
    I don't suffer from Insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited May 2007
    OMG, AoB how much do you spend on Soda a week?! You're just like my brother and his wife. They don't even drink milk, juice, or water ... I don't drink soda, so I guess it's like equilibrium or something in are family.

Good lord ... all that money.

Man, that's like more than a year's collection of cans, bite me.

And I just went and threw them all away, so whatever.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man you must love aspartame Bacon.

I've been trying to infuse a bit more narrative into my work lately to help me break out of my safety zone with certain aspects of my painting. Here's a speedy I did earlier in that vein.

expanse.jpg

Scosglen on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Arrr, I must've spent like, 2 hours AT LEAST just changing shit up and trying to become satisfied with this.
    sotckindagood.gif
    I wish I didn't have to resize it for photobucket.

Kinda SOTC based after awhile of changing ideas- it was going to be a dune buggy riding the dunes with a big worm(similar to the Dune Worms in... DUNE) chasing after him, then after that it was a rally car race track in a more oasis type of scenario, and when I realized I can't draw cars on a tablet worth a damn I change it to a UFO scaling mountains and getting attacked by something that was kinda an homage to the Star Wars Asteroid Worm, then I was just painting from life, then after I realized I was getting frustrated with not being able to draw the life picture accurately, I was just messing around trying to make it look correct, and finally I was just like "this vaguely reminds me of Shadow of the Colossus. Let's try that." and Voila, shit is formed.

I think I accomplished making the ground look a little more more uneven, but still have a tangible form. Still something bugs me about the ground but I can't tell what. I failed at the lighting, even though I thought about changing it, I hesitated cause it was already 2:30 AM, lack of anything satisfying, crankiness, and frustration made me save it and show it. I know it shouldn't be that PURE black, but if I can't see really drastic change contrast I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I should be happy that I'm frustrated, because, like Bobby Chiu says, it means I'm being challenged, right?

I tried creating a story about the environment in my head while I was doing this, but for some reason I'm really bad at that, because what I think of and what I put down on the painting, suck. What makes me feel really lousy is that I looked at your color tutorial(Bacon), your paintover tutorial(which I'm really grateful for) watched your speedpainting vid at least 9 times, watched a bunch of Bobby Chiu stuff, but this painting seems to give the impression that I blew all that off and didn't consider it. I looked at this http://bacon.iseenothing.com/cove2.jpg for just a little reference on shading rocks and stuff.

Maybe putting Wander on top of that little rock/whatever formation holding up his sword would have been more interesting. Hm. Maybe next time I should paint while looking at a similar reference.

Just drawing from the real life environment I think would solve millions of my problems.

I'll just get some sleep and start fresh tomorrow. I just hope none of that practice was an actual waste of time.

McAllen on
    edited May 2007
    notadamnthingwrong.jpg
    *glares*

Iruka on
    edited May 2007
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Man you must love aspartame Bacon.

:x

oldman.jpg

@Iruka: Noice. :^:

@McAllen: The latest is a definate improvement over the last two, so the time has certainly not been wasted.

What seems to be the source of your frustration is just running up against the walls of your current anount of knowledge- we've all been there (hell, we're all contantly there, if we're being both honest and not lazy), and the only thing for it is to do whatever you can to fill in the gaps.

I'd reccomend whenever you find you're starting to work on something specific, you load up google image search and just load up 10-25 images into firefox tabs based on some broad search subjects. Something like this image, I'd look up things like "overcast", "desert", "mesa", "overcast desert", etc, etc. Not to search for any one image to copy, but to find those things about those pictures that make them interesting, what makes those things look like those things.

Take, for example, how you've noted that having such a black shadow doesn't look right, but you still need the contrast- you're right, on both accounts. An overcast day wouldn't have such sharp, black shadows in the middle of a plain like that. So, you have to look up how the light actually works on an overcast day to solve this problem.

On an overcast day, the sun's rays get scattered and diffused by the cloud cover, meaning the light will be coming from not one single source, but light will be coming from the entire sky. Therefore, any sort of deep, dark shadow on an overcast day can only manifest itself where the sky's light is being blocked- a cave, a very significant overhang, etc. But this leaves us with the second problem of contrast- if we can't get it through the simple method of using a change in the major planes of the form to mark off a contrast between light and dark- lit and unlit surfaces- we'll have to look at our references, dig deeper. Where does the contrast really come from on an overcast day? Several solutions present themselves:

1) a more subtle, nuanced lighting method- remember, there are still shadows here to take advantage of, just not on a major scale. We still will find smaller, diffused shadows in the small overhangs, in the crevices of rock, under each rock. The light won't appear uniform even on the lit surfaces as well, but will get darker the more vertical the plane. Not into total darkness mind you, but enough distinction to demark the top of an object from the side.
    2) This is actually fairly close to 1, but I'll mention it seperately. The clouds themselves are rarely on even composition as well, even on the most overcast days. Across a huge plain, you will see breaks, or thinner cloud covering, causing a pattern of uneven light distribution, some part receiving more direct, bright light, some recieving heavy shadow and diffusion. This can be put to use for the purpose of adding contrast, and focus if you wish.
    3) Local color. Even with totally even light, not every object is colored the same, has the same value. Contrast the color and tone of rock against sand, against dry grassland, against cacti or what have you. Can you use tonal change in rock stridations, or the change in texture between a smooth, vertical rock face versus a crumpled, eroded one?

Nature offers an infinite number of tools to help you solve the problem of contrast- or, for the most part, any other essential of rendering objects, so be sure to take advantage of observing it for these things you can put use.

Christ, I'm getting wordy and pretentious. I probably should have started this post with a better looking picture to justify all this talking.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tried to refine that creature doodle from a few pages back. It looks cleaner, I think, it just really lost that sense of movement from the last one.

turtleda3.png

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    z3oldmaster.jpg

Zbrush 3's new sculpting tools rock my pants right off. I should go find them. This would have taken me ages to do in Z2.5, but this only took me a few minutes. D:

Synthetic Orange on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That would make a kickass candle.

Though, many would probably be too creeped out to try it.

Including me.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • RedPearlRedPearl Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kickassdude.jpg

Zbrush 3's new sculpting tools rock my pants right off. I should go find them. This would have taken me ages to do in Z2.5, but this only took me a few minutes. D:

A few minutes?! I'm gonna have to check that stuff out. Getting sick and tired of just plain old boxmodelling, and I have to learn how to bake normal maps anyway. This looks like it would be a great way to make the high poly version. Tried mudbox before and it didn't really work for me, such a shift to not be working with vertices and such, hope the new ZBrush is as hot as it sounds.

RedPearl on
  • CrackerpieCrackerpie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've lurked here forever and this is my first post. Not great but heres a couple sketches

00009g9g

0000atf1

yes the one above with that pedophile cosplay creeps me out as well

00002yge

Ive been practicing on my own for a bit. This forum has been pretty helpful. Here's some stuff from a few months ago for comparison.

00004q46

00005x01

Crackerpie on
    OMG I saw the greatest sig today! IT WAS TOTALLY SELF-REFERENTIAL.
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's a pretty good improvement, Crackerpie.

Every few months I remember how much fun it is to mess around with artist's oils in Painter. This is the product of rendering out the shapes I saw after I painted over the background.

The light on the grass under the light looks very wrong but I can't seem to put my finger on it. Too bright, I think.

weirdtubehousesmzv4.jpg

Edited it a bit to make the tube fit to the dome more.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    thegreatsecret-I.png

took me a helluva long time, but i'm pretty happy with it.
    acrylic, 20" x 20"

Edman on
  • ObiwanObiwan Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    boredom leads to doodles...doodle.jpg

Obiwan on
  • rsilva13rsilva13 Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Newbie poster, but i've lurked for a couple of years. I've just recently become more motivated to draw. and this is my first attempt at digital inking. Crits?
    woman.gif

rsilva13 on
    www.douglasrohde.com (currently a placeholder splash page)
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some attempts at anatomy from imagination. I still haven't perfected it yet, but I'm getting there...

figure20jw9.jpg

Flay on
  • OverlordOverlord Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    rsilva13, try using varying line widths to create depth.

Overlord on
    sigsh.gif
  • KioliaKiolia Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Would appreciate thoughts on this if anyone has some. Started as a speed sketch, then got about 3 hours of refinement.
    gibbsspeedpaint.jpg

Kiolia on
    and stuff

visit my webcomic at http://www.kiolia.com/shadowfolk Science fiction, updated almost never.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    jpeg wrote: »
    That's a pretty good improvement, Crackerpie.

Every few months I remember how much fun it is to mess around with artist's oils in Painter. This is the product of rendering out the shapes I saw after I painted over the background.

The light on the grass under the light looks very wrong but I can't seem to put my finger on it. Too bright, I think.

weirdtubehousesmzv4.jpg

Edited it a bit to make the tube fit to the dome more.

whoa that looks almost exactly like a field/building that was in my dreams a few years back.

Prospicience on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WE ARE VENOM!

VenomWIP.jpg

And yeah, it's not finished. 2 hours so far because i'm slow as fuck.

Godfather on
  • OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    that looks awesome so far, Godfather

Okami on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Godfather wrote: »
    WE ARE VENOM!

VenomWIP.jpg

And yeah, it's not finished. 2 hours so far because i'm slow as fuck.

"We are horribly disproportionate!"

His limbs seriously need to be shorter. His thighs and upper arms are about as long as his entire torso sans head. That's not right.

Kiolia wrote: »
    Would appreciate thoughts on this if anyone has some. Started as a speed sketch, then got about 3 hours of refinement.
    gibbsspeedpaint.jpg

Spectre-x on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The rendering/shading seems a little uncommitted Kiolia. Really try to push the shadows. I like it for the most part though. There is a small tangent with her shirt collar and gun that could be fixed also, but its not too damaging.

Greatnation on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gotcha.

I'll redraw him later when I have the time.

Godfather on
  • xbainxxbainx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So look don't fucking yell at me but I wanted to post a pic. how long do I wait until I can add attachments?

xbainx on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    xbainx wrote: »
    So look don't fucking yell at me but I wanted to post a pic. how long do I wait until I can add attachments?

What.

Projeck on
    edited May 2007
    You can't add attachments. You have to find to upload it somewhere and link to it.

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.