As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[World of Darkness] Red Star shining at WW HQ, heads to roll

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They keep spirits from fucking shit up.

Cheeseliker on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Any thoughts on this?

51sQgSO%2B4tL._SS500_.jpg

Seems kind of neat, I'm looking for more Mage inspiration.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magical Traditions is a good book, and the section on Appalachian Hoodoo is awesome(WW IS situated in the Hills, after all).

EDIT:Why did I never make the connection between Zoroastrianism and the Divine Fire? Am I dense?

Edith Upwards on
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just want to know where I can find an online Changeling game.

I've got this character you see, and he's SCREAMING IN MY HEAD for play. And my IRL game is a bit splat.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was going to run one, but I couldn't find the inspiration. They pop up here from time to time.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2010
    Well, what sort of inspiration do you need? You only COLLECT SHIN MEGA TEN LORE. :P

Teyar on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I had an urge for a while there to run a game set in Japan, where a bunch of exchange students are the only members of the university's monster investigation club. It would have been an excuse to run through some of my favourite Japanese mythology and yokai in a more modern setting.

Haven't really got a large enough grasp of the Storytelling system to really give it a whirl, though, which is a Slight Problem! Also incertain of how it work in the overall World of Darkness lore, etc.

simonwolf on
    edited November 2010
    Wweeeee~eelllllll... I could run a game.

Set in Vermont. Changeling is really the only nWoD system I know, and as a player only so far at that, so it would be... Particularly rules-wonky. But I dig the setting like no tomorow, and I know just enough about the rest of the types to be dangerous.

So. Whose up for a dumped-into-small-town Changeling game?

Teyar on
  • DJP3710DJP3710 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Admittedly, I really like Changeling's lore. I can't guarantee I'd be able to play, but I'm certainly interested.

By the way, Simonwolf, your setting sounds pretty intriguing, too.

DJP3710 on
    edited November 2010
    You know what? What the hell. I'll set out a basic recruitment thread, see if we've got at leaST three-four people for it and just roll.

Entirely too much agonizing over whether or not you can. So much better to try!

Teyar on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Teyar wrote: »
    Wweeeee~eelllllll... I could run a game.

Set in Vermont. Changeling is really the only nWoD system I know, and as a player only so far at that, so it would be... Particularly rules-wonky. But I dig the setting like no tomorow, and I know just enough about the rest of the types to be dangerous.

So. Whose up for a dumped-into-small-town Changeling game?

Vermont? Fuck yeah, I live here! Though I don't know Changeling rules.

Cheeseliker on
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ello' ello'. I might be down for a changeling game if it came along. I don't really have a character idea on deck, but I can give it a whirl.

MoosehatIV on
  • Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone get the new Requiem/Masquerade translation guide yet? I so, how is it?

I am ashamed to say that I am unable to purchase a 99 cent document at the moment because I have no idea how much money is in my debit account and I don't know how to do it online.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2010
    Looks intriguing. Kind of short, though.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=86202

The preview is very good.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. I've read some reviews of it and everyone seems to like it. From what I heard, their is a couple of different options for how to integrate parts of the setting.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    So, dead WoD thread, is there any good books that have come out recently? Any recommendations?

I have barely had any time to read anything and I feel out of the loops.

MoosehatIV on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Reading some old books was a mistake. Now I want to run Wraith.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited January 2011
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    So, dead WoD thread, is there any good books that have come out recently? Any recommendations?

How far back are you talking? I can make some suggestions if I know what you haven't looked into.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    I've been considering some sort of SMT PBP game, very cyberpunky. I think I'd have to homebrew the heck out of it. Possibly using WoD mechanics with a bit of Geist. Not sure yet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2011

How far back are you talking? I can make some suggestions if I know what you haven't looked into.

I think the last book I poked my head into was Book of the Dead. My favorite series are Changeling and Geist so I have read most of those. Not the biggest fan of werewoof or mage. Vampire sits right in the middle.

MoosehatIV on
    edited January 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Reading some old books was a mistake. Now I want to run Wraith.

I know how you're feeling. Ascension Nova looks so damn temping.

I also want to buy all of the Ascension novels.

Edith Upwards on
    edited January 2011

I think the last book I poked my head into was Book of the Dead. My favorite series are Changeling and Geist so I have read most of those. Not the biggest fan of werewoof or mage. Vampire sits right in the middle.

Get the Goblin Markets pdf. It's short but has a bunch of cool stuff in it. It's all about how Goblin Markets work and how to deal with them and join them and things like that. In it their are rules for buying and selling stuff. There are a couple of new merits like Second-Hand Skills and Goblin Merchant.

If you have any interest in OWoD there is a translation guide pdf for like, a dollar. It has a bunch of OWoD Disciplines and Clans and stuff and suggests different ways to integrate them.

Also, Vampire as put out some cool new books like Ancient Bloodlines and its companion Ancient Mysteries. Their about different times and the vampire Bloodlines and societies that poped up during those periods. As far as new Vampire books go, I can't recommend Night Horrors Wicked Dead enough. It has a bunch of weird vampires form different parts of the world. Not new Bloodlines, more like new splats. Their are also rules for dampyr in it. What's cool about these dampyr is that their not some stupid natural ghoul or anything. They are basically normal people with a couple of slight advantages. They also naturally attract vampires, but their blood is toxic to them. Probably the coolest part is the section on high-functioning draugr and laerva. Laerva are basically bestial half-vampires that you can create with the right Devotions to use as shock troops.

Mirrors is a pretty fun book. It is a Core book and is full of different rules you can integrate into your games. It also has some awesome stuff like advice how to run a post-apocalyptic game or a sword and sorcery game or a game were the Masquerade is broken and things like that. The sword and sorcery section Includes a major splat called Dark Heroes that basically turns you into Odysseus and three new races if you want to include that sort of thing in your games.

The races are pretty cool, and you can apply Supernatural templates to them. Their are the warguz, who are basically the cousins of werewolves. They have nothing to do with the spirit. They are large hairy people with a pack mentality. Their are atlanteans, who super-humans who have a tendency to indulge in their vices but doing so can cause them to fail spectacularly. Lastly their are dampyr, who are less cool, less flavorful versions of the dampyr in Wicked dead.

I know your not big on Werewolf, but I can't go without suggesting Signs of the Moon. It gives a lot of information on how the different Auspices work and what their duties are. It also introduces an awesome new thing called Aspects. all Aspects are tied to different Auspices and taking one up gives you a bunch of cool new abilities and a couple of drawbacks, There are also new Milestone Gifts and Lodges for each of the Auspices.

So there are my recommendations. I hope you find something you like.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    My mage spergathon has been spoilered.
    Can constructed languages act as a carrier wave for the High Speech?

Are there any glaring differences between Awakened [language], and "generic" High Speech? Does learning Awakened English and then becoming a fully fluent speaker of French make you fluent in Awakened French?

The High Speech mentioned in the Core is connected to/resembles Enochian, what does this mean?

Is Enochian the High Speech, or reverse-engineered down from it, as all Sleeper languages (allegedly) are?

Or is Enochian a constructed language that became THE FACE of High Speech around the western world?

If options two or three are true, how did that series of events come about? Did the a secret brotherhood of Proto-Wrights within the Silver Ladder create Enochian or the Awakened variant thereof in order to prove how utterly badass humanity is? Are Qashmallim(sChashmullim) related to this?

How likely would it be for Awakened Lojban to become somewhat commonplace/a topic of discussion? Would members of the Free Council teach their students Awakened Lojban just so that they could troll Diamond Mages and Seers?

How insane is the average Cryptologos? Are they willing to murder people over the lettering in a sign/store's name? Do they do battle with, or infiltrate/steal from their Seer counterparts? SHOULD the Awakened variant of Sleeper languages provide any seperate mechanical benefits compared to the other versions of the High Speech?

Edith Upwards on
  • EtherwindEtherwind Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Yo, Erich Zahn, who are you? Someone I know IRL told me I'm (very slightly) internet famous, and when I Googled myself I found you talking about me. I'm trying to figure out whether you were being sarcastic or whether that was a compliment, and whether or not I know you.

Also, 'sup, nice thread.

Etherwind on
    edited February 2011
    I don't actually know you, or have an account on SA. I discovered the Megathread after a shitstorm on rpg.net, and grew to truly love SA because it is the spitting image of what the internet should be.

Please tell us about your games so that this stays on topic.

Edith Upwards on
  • EtherwindEtherwind Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Okay, but I'm bad at relating anecdotes without a prompt.

Is there anything anyone wants to ask about regarding general nWoD, ST advice, or something specific to a particular game line? I'm just an asshole with opinions, but I'm happy to share.

Etherwind on
    edited February 2011
    Well, we could always use more NWoD STs here.

That's all I've got.

And I'm thinking of another Geist game maybe.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does Scion count as a World of Darkness game? I have some questions about it.

simonwolf on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scion does not count as a World of Darkness game, but I love answering questions about it(since it's awesome)

Rainfall on
    edited February 2011
    It's WW, so I'm fine with it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    There's a broken-awesome spell in Magical Traditions.

Forces 4 + Space 1 = you bind someone in place just by speaking to them.

With Space 2, you don't even need to be there.

The real good stuff is in the Appalachian Hoodoo chapter.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, and it creates a sympathetic connection between you and your target.

Which, if you're playing "Action-Movie Mage" is the best thing ever.

Edith Upwards on
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dear WoD thread,

I've recently taken on the role of STing a Hunter the Vigil game for my rl gaming group.

We were originally going to do oWoD Hunter, but our initial sessi

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Corbius wrote: »
    Dear WoD thread,

I've recently taken on the role of STing a Hunter the Vigil game for my rl gaming group.

We were originally going to do oWoD Hunter, but our initial sessi

was apparently cut off due to communication issues?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Posting from my iPhone sorry

Our first session bogged down due to all of us being unfamiliar with the ST system. Also the is my first time DMing any kind of game

I was hoping for some good general advice or where to get some general advice

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

If I recall Mage properly, once you get to 4+ dots in a sphere, pretty much every spell is broken-awesome until Paradox rapes you.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Corbius wrote: »
    Posting from my iPhone sorry

Our first session bogged down due to all of us being unfamiliar with the ST system. Also the is my first time DMing any kind of game

I was hoping for some good general advice or where to get some general advice

Don't get too bogged down in rules, try to keep telling a coherent story and remember the basic attribute+ability rolls, +/- 1-3 depending on whatever modifiers you feel are appropriate. You don't need any rules that are more complex than that, basically. 1 success is a win, anything more than that is gravy!

Rainfall on
    edited March 2011
    So I finally picked up Reign of the Exarchs. It's basically a storytelling campaign guide, with five potential hooks for story setups, based around nasty Seer artifacts.

Good stuff, and some definite nightmare fuel.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    skarsol wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

If I recall Mage properly, once you get to 4+ dots in a sphere, pretty much every spell is broken-awesome until Paradox rapes you.
    Example:Prime 4:Fitful Sleep.

And if you have a good spread of dots, you can do ridiculously awesome shit.
    Like using Prime+Death+Space+something else to reflexively co-locate your Pattern over somebody else's so that you can take Backlash for them.

Edith Upwards on
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As posted to Twitter, and to several fan club mailing lists simultaneously:
    White Wolf is making a 20th Anniversary Edition of Vampire: The Masquerade and we want your help!

Why are we? Vampire: The Masquerade changed everything! Exploding into hobby games in 1991, it evoked and inspired a generation of fans of which the game industry had never seen before or since. The gothic and punk subcultures from which it drew, previously unseen in the gaming world, created an unparalleled worldwide phenomenon that spanned novels, TCG’s, LARPs, video games, and television. But it all started with one RPG. The cultural significance Vampire left on not just the gaming world but on modern vampire-related pop culture can be seen and felt at virtually every turn and in every medium today. This combined with the unwavering sheer dedication of an unparalleled fan base is the reason this book is being published. Vampire: The Masquerade – 20th Anniversary Edition brings the entire World of Darkness experience full circle and will serve as the perfect anniversary milestone to celebrate two decades of gaming after dark.

Who’s it for? This book is for all of the White Wolf fans who have lived, loved, and taken the long road with us for the past two decades. For the diehards who never gave up, never stopped believing and kept the World of Darkness alive. This is for all the saints, sinners, miscreants, punks, poets and outcasts who have been with us all this time. This is their original Masquerade in all its glory, and our way of saying thank you and welcome home.

What’s in it?

* All thirteen original clans, clan variants and bloodlines, with their signature Disciplines
    * Rules for character creation and advancement from Neonate to Methuselah
    * All the Disciplines from level one through nine
    * Updated setting to the modern nights
    * New full color original art by Tim Bradstreet & other classic “Masquerade” artists
    * An “open community play test” development process

Where do I get it? The Vampire: The Masquerade – 20th Anniversary Edition is a 400+ page ultra prestige edition that includes virtually every clan, bloodline and variant ever produced for the Vampire: The Masquerade game setting and is available to attendees at The Grand Masquerade 20th Anniversary Convention, September 15-18 in New Orleans, Louisiana.

When Can I Get? Currently we are only reserving hotel room reservations for the convention but event registration and the ability to order a book will be available very soon. For more information on the Grand Masquerade, please visit thegrandmasquerade.com

We know you have some questions…
    Q: What is an “open development” process and how do I get to be part of the playtest?
    A: An open development process means that we will be developing this book in sections and as transparently as possible. This is a book for the fans, and we want to know what’s worked in your games for the last 20 years; what rules need to be tweaked, what suggestions you have, and what would you like to see included. This book will have all new full color art, which means we are also very interested in who your favorite artists were – Let us know and we’ll work toward getting them to contribute pieces. The developers will be posting sections of the book online on this blog. Fans that want to be part of the playtest are encouraged to submit their thoughts and comments for discussion or to send them in for review to vampire20@white-wolf.com.

Q: Is this the beginning of a new Vampire: the Masquerade game line?
    A: No, we do not currently have any plans of this nature. This is a unique 20th Anniversary special edition release, designed to be an engaging stand-alone title.

Q: Is this new edition tied into the upcoming World of Darkness MMO?
    A: No. This book is based on the first 20 years of classic Vampire: The Masquerade role playing. This is a “best of” compendium of the first two decades of Vampire, not a preview of things to come.

Q: What do you mean “virtually all of the clans, variants and bloodlines” in the expanded edition? What is being left out and why?
    A: This product will be the single most comprehensive and complete Vampire: The Masquerade book ever published. With that being said it’s easier to say what you *wont* find in it than what you will. This book will not include the following: Kindred of the East, Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom and the defunct/retconned Gaki and Bushi Bloodlines. Other than that, if we missed a clan please let us know.

Q: When is this book set? Does it advance or change the metaplot from previous editions of VTM?
    A: The best answer for this is, "Whenever you want." Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition assumes that the events of Gehenna have yet to occur, and advances no larger metaplot storylines. The story developments from previous editions remain open-ended elements in the setting for players to use or ignore as they choose. The overall themes and historical elements remain fundamentally the same, but in the modern nights, the players' stories are what are important.

Q: Why are you making this book? White Wolf stated in the past that Vampire: The Masquerade was never coming back?
    A: The most simple and honest answer is that it’s what our loyal fans have desperately wanted and we believe they deserve it. Vampire: The Masquerade has been and will always be White Wolf’s most defining accomplishment and — like many great musicians, actors, or filmmakers who need to step away from something that they have invested an immense amount of time and passion in — they always inevitably come back to it because they love it. And such is the truth for Vampire. This is a labor of love for everyone involved. It’s our way of putting the makeup back on, getting the band back together, and playing the hits that the fans love, because in the end we love and miss them too. This is our way of celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Vampire: The Masquerade in the most dynamic way possible and in such a way as to be befitting of its legacy.

For more information, check out vampirethemasquerade.com starting Friday March 18th and to keep up with all the info on twitter HASHTAG: #V20.

Of course the website isn't actually up yet.

gtrmp on