As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Company 2: BC2 night every Thursday

• TheDugglerTheDuggler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm buying an Alienware come May-June, probably the cheapest Aurora R.3 ($1500 last i checked) which is still a beast of a machine and should hopefully run BF3 pretty well.

Why not just build one and save a couple hundred?

TheDuggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah... You should be able to get all that parts you need (minus case and monitor) for about 500. tack on an extra 200 or so if you need a case and monitor though.

But that's still less than 1/2 the cost you're looking at with that alien ware.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    either:

1) You have to come to a complete or near stop to do it
    1a) you also cannot be in midair

2) You have to transition through crouch to get to it

3) If you can instantly go to it, it stops forward momentum and has a 3 second or so cooldown before you can move or get back up.

Secret option 4: your weapon goes away while you take a whole second to go to prone position, and you can't do it in midair.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    "dolphin diving"?

Here's an example. It used to be worse than this, and this is after one of DICE's supposed fixes for the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51MRK9kJ2G0

So its essentially what everyone does in Call of Duty the instant they see a guy. I'm guessing this wasn't included in BC2 because it doesn't seem like you can go prone period.

Kinda, because in BF2 these guys would be constantly moving around like in the video. It was all sorts of stupid and annoying. I never could get into BF2 because of how impossible it was to deal with anyone.

Satsumomo on
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

So its essentially what everyone does in Call of Duty the instant they see a guy. I'm guessing this wasn't included in BC2 because it doesn't seem like you can go prone period.

Exactly. I'm hoping that DICE takes care of it by making going prone a more significant commitment. I.E. Make a player take a couple of seconds to completely set up in it during which accuracy goes to f all, make turning difficult and/or slow in it, and make getting back up take time. I say this having found prone useful before, but also a lack of it to be extremely refreshing. (**A mix of what FyreWulff and TheExAm said.)

What did that dev mean by Tracer Darts being "very BC2"? I never played 2142 and forget how anti-air / anti-vehicle worked in Battlefield 2.

Antithesis on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In BF2 SAMs had to lock on to airborne vehicles by holding the reticule over the target for a few seconds. ATG missiles and AT rockets were basically guide-by-wire.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Antithesis wrote: »

Exactly. I'm hoping that DICE takes care of it by making going prone a more significant commitment. I.E. Make a player take a couple of seconds to completely set up in it during which accuracy goes to f all, make turning difficult and/or slow in it, and make getting back up take time. I say this having found prone useful before, but also a lack of it to be extremely refreshing. (**A mix of what FyreWulff and TheExAm said.)

What did that dev mean by Tracer Darts being "very BC2"? I never played 2142 and forget how anti-air / anti-vehicle worked in Battlefield 2.

Yeah... that really does seem like the best solution- it is what i instantly thought of when this was brought up.

Satsumomo: That really does sound like a pain and makes me glad I picked up BC2 over bf2.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People still play BF2? Im pretty sure I have my discs laying around my room someplace...

emp123 on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not necessarily make you transition through crouch with your controls, but have the animation and hitbox transition through crouch, obviously have it impossible to do in midair, and possibly have an option to "dive prone for cover" from a standing, sprinting position but give that a much longer animation and delay before your weapon comes back up

hailthefish on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm buying an Alienware come May-June, probably the cheapest Aurora R.3 ($1500 last i checked) which is still a beast of a machine and should hopefully run BF3 pretty well.

Man, if you're dropping $1500 on a PC and saying it should "hopefully" run a game pretty well, you're getting ripped off. You could build yourself a fucking monster PC for that price that will run anything in the next half decade.

A guy at work just bought a $3400 Alienware laptop. To play games. He says he wants to spend twice that on a desktop in September. Re-fucking-dick. The higher you get up there, the less value you're going to get for your money.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

Man, if you're dropping $1500 on a PC and saying it should "hopefully" run a game pretty well, you're getting ripped off. You could build yourself a fucking monster PC for that price that will run anything in the next half decade.

A guy at work just bought a $3400 Alienware laptop. To play games. He says he wants to spend twice that on a desktop in September. Re-fucking-dick. The higher you get up there, the less value you're going to get for your money.

That's why I'm staying at the baseline price. I'm never in a thousand years going to build my own computer so my only option is prebuilt, and I love the Alienware cases.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

That's why I'm staying at the baseline price. I'm never in a thousand years going to build my own computer so my only option is prebuilt, and I love the Alienware cases.

You're missing the point. No matter what you spend on an Alienware PC, you're spending too much.

When I say "build your own PC," I don't necessarily mean with your own two hands. Retailers will build one for you based on your choices and they charge maybe, 50-100 bucks for the labour.

I mean, it's your money, but don't do it because you think it's your only option to have a really good PC. If you want to spend a mint for a PC that is only so expensive because of its hype, so be it :)

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

You're missing the point. No matter what you spend on an Alienware PC, you're spending too much.

When I say "build your own PC," I don't necessarily mean with your own two hands. Retailers will build one for you based on your choices and they charge maybe, 50-100 bucks for the labour.

I mean, it's your money, but don't do it because you think it's your only option to have a really good PC. If you want to spend a mint for a PC that is only so expensive because of its hype, so be it :)

Some people prefer the peace of mind that comes with buying a completely pre-built machine from a well known company. Of course that peace of mind doesn't come cheap, but for people with more money than technical know-how, it's often a fair trade-off for them.

That said, you're right Figgy, there are still plenty of cheaper pre-built options to be found elsewhere. So I guess it depends on how much having Dell's Tech Support's phone number is worth to him ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    edited February 2011

In my experience the cost for having someone put together a PC with custom parts is much higher than 50-100 bucks, not to mention every place I've been to that does that stuff saying they can't guarantee everything will work if I didn't buy the parts through them (and they jack up their prices if I do buy through them). It's just a fucking hassle and even if I get everything together and they build it and I save $300 in the end, I'd still rather just buy the alienware.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • KnorreKnorre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Knorre on
    Knorreworst.png
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to bet that this removal of dolphin diving is going to be more complicated than it has to be.

There are times where I'm going to want to instantly go prone. Why don't they just take a page out of previous FPS like DoD and make it so your weapon becomes unusable while jumping/proning? Congrats, problem fucking solved.

Sigtyr on
  • trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    **removed off-topic rant about alienware**
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    There are times where I'm going to want to instantly go prone.

From what I recall of my army training (yeh, yeh I know realism vs video game etc etc), going prone would take a few seconds of "drop (well, more a quick stand->crouch->prone), roll/crawl away from drop point, bring weapon to fore and get bearings". If that kind of timing is implemented then great as dolphin diving really killed BF2 for me. Well, that and the jets.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    I'm going to bet that this removal of dolphin diving is going to be more complicated than it has to be.

There are times where I'm going to want to instantly go prone. Why don't they just take a page out of previous FPS like DoD and make it so your weapon becomes unusable while jumping/proning? Congrats, problem fucking solved.

Considering that they seem to be going pseudo-realistic on this game, that will probably be impossible. Jumping while firing a weapon is a completely fantastic way to miss every single shot and get yourself killed. Dropping to the ground straight into a prone position while wearing 30kgs of armour is a great way to wind yourself, crush anything attached to your front into your body and lose half of your shit you're carrying. Proning while out in the open and getting shot at is pretty much the only thing you can do if there's no cover, but you will not be in any shape to fire back at the person immediately. And you're totally fucked if the guy shooting at you has any intelligence whatsoever. Either way, you're probably dead and there's no point really in proning unless you have cover nearby that you can just dive for. Proning in BF3 will be mainly used for sneaking I think, and setting up a fire point in low cover.

Warcry on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I guess we'll see. Speculating about something so mundane is kinda boring.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I find it really odd though that Bad Company and Battlefield 3 exist. I think the point of BC was to have a single player game with Battlefield for some unkown reason. BC2 though is very multiplayer focused with single player just being a neat addition. Now Battlefield 3 at the moment seems to be an another addition to the crowded modern warfare multiplayer genre which is also a stagnant setting now. Its also going to be on all systems and I would expect it to have well supported lifespan so would there be a reason to even bring out Bad Company 3? Is Battlefield EA/DICE answer to Call of Duty in more of the annual FPS aspect?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/07/battlefield-3-to-feature-tehran-paris-and-new-york-will-have-spotting-and-dog-tags/

"We already know that the ability to go prone will be in Battlefield 3, but doing it in midair will be impossible, eliminating ‘dolphin diving’. "

"Kertz also mentions that there will be friendly fire options, and there won’t be ziplines or grappling hooks, saying 'you don’t kill CoD by trying to be CoD. You kill CoD by making a better shooter.'"

That_Guy on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CoD has grappling hooks now? Thats kinda cool actually but I imagine is implemented horribly.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/07/battlefield-3-to-feature-tehran-paris-and-new-york-will-have-spotting-and-dog-tags/

"We already know that the ability to go prone will be in Battlefield 3, but doing it in midair will be impossible, eliminating ‘dolphin diving’. "

"Kertz also mentions that there will be friendly fire options, and there won’t be ziplines or grappling hooks, saying 'you don’t kill CoD by trying to be CoD. You kill CoD by making a better shooter.'"

Say what? Battlefield 2: Special Forces made grappling hooks, ziplines and other tactiacal equipment popular way before Call of Duty. I'm not saying it was the first game ever to do so, but it featured them way before they got "mainstream'd". Project Reality uses them, as well.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why can't there be a demo of this game...I always like to at least try before buying, and seeing how it runs on my computer.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It comes out in Autumn, there might be one.

Warcry on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

This. I spent $600 on my computer. I had to get everything but the case and monitor. It doesn't go to super ultra high with 500x AA and quadruple filtering, but it tends to run things on high (even though I'm stuck with a 4850 that likes to go too hot). It's also over two and a half years old now. I don't have any slowdown in BC2 or FarCry 2 or L4D2 or Fallout New Vegas or any other sequels I play.

If you're not technically inclined enough to screw motherboards to cases and apply thermal paste and plug in a bunch of cords, you could go through HP (or some other company) and tailor a computer to your needs. You'll basically get something easily capable of running modern games on high settings for under $1200. Most places include high-end graphics cards and copious amounts of ram.

Unless BF3 plans on requiring octo-cores and a mandatory dedicated PhysX GPU.

President Rex on
    edited February 2011
    About Alienware, don't just think they're the only custom PC builders, here:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

http://www.stealthmachines.com/

http://www.falcon-nw.com/

I configured a similar machine on each site,

i5 processor, 4gb ddr3 memory, gtx 460 1gb card, 1tb HDD and an alien-ware like case if possible, liquid cooling and factory overclock if free.

Alienware Aurora $1,449

Intel® Core™ i5 650 Dual Core 3.2GHz (4MB Cache)
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
    Single 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460
    1TB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 32MB Cache HDD
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    No Keyboard
    No Mouse
    No Monitor

Falcon Mach V - $2,791 (wut)

2nd Generation Core i5 2300 2.8GHz
    750 Watt Modular powersupply
    Maximus IV Extreme motherboard
    4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3
    GeForce GTX 560 TI (1024MB)
    1TB - 7200RPM - 6GB/s
    Mach V Liquid Cooling
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    No Keyboard
    No Mouse
    No Monitor

Digital storm - $1403

SilverStone Raven One case
    Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz
    ASUS P8P67 Motherboard
    4GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
    750W Digital Storm Certified powersupply
    1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
    DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1372-TR)
    Asetek Liquid CPU Cooler (120mm Radiator) (Great Value)
    Overclock the processor between 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
    Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
    No Keyboard
    No Mouse
    No Monitor

Stealth Machines Espionage $1,527

NZXT LEXA Black/ Silver Aluminum Construction Plastic Front Panel ATX Mid Tower
    500W Thermaltake Power Supply
    Intel Core i5 750 (Quad Core)
    eVGA P55 LE Edition Motherboard
    G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
    SATA 24x DVD dual layer burner w/ lightscribe
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    No Keyboard
    No Mouse
    No Monitor
    1-Year Parts and Labor FREE
    StealthMachines Satisfaction Guarantee Try our computer for thirty SIXTY days. If you're not in love, send it back. We'll give you 100% of your money back PLUS $100

CyberpowerPC $1,007 (Whoah!)

Azza Orion Gaming case
    Intel® Core™ i5-760 2.80 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1156
    1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory
    MSI H55M-E23 Intel H55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 Motherboard
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
    24x DVD-R writer reader
    XtremeGear Liquid Cooling system
    650 Watt Corsair Powersupply
    Windows 7 Home premium 64bit
    Xtreme Gear Black internet keyboard
    Xtreme Gear USB 3 button gaming mouse
    No monitor
    STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Yes, I love doing this, and today's a holiday here.

Satsumomo on
    edited February 2011
    That cyberpower sounds nice

Hank_Scorpio on
    edited February 2011
    Definitely, it has the best price/quality ratio for me.

On topic, I hopped onto Vietnam with Rak and Veitsev the other day, and it was pretty funny how they complained about the PA server not being on Vietnam, the clearly superior game, but they also did not stop complaining about the blatant dumb things in Vietnam, like no decent AA for defenders on Phubai Valley for example.

Satsumomo on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought an Alienware Aurora not too long ago, except with an i7-920, 6GB DDR3, a single ATI 5870 and a media card reader, although I chose a 500GB drive instead of 1TB, and it came out to be the same price as what you listed. I wonder if they increased the general price of the machine?

In any case, video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DYDFhP1XLE

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited February 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »

On topic, I hopped onto Vietnam with Rak and Veitsev the other day, and it was pretty funny how they complained about the PA server not being on Vietnam, the clearly superior game, but they also did not stop complaining about the blatant dumb things in Vietnam, like no decent AA for defenders on Phubai Valley for example.

Well, you were playing with Veitsev and Rak ;-)

Tanks serve as the Anti-Air on Phu Bai. Any good tank commander can pluck all but the squirreliest chopper out of the sky.

CarbonFire on
    edited February 2011
    This really needs to be added as DLC, new jungle maps with US vs Chilean militia:

newmodels.jpg

Tanks serve as the Anti-Air on Phu Bai. Any good tank commander can pluck all but the squirreliest chopper out of the sky.

But you don't get anything as defender on Phu Bai rush. It's really dumb.

Satsumomo on
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My two cents on prone are as follows. You should be able to go into it quickly and while in the air. There should be a penalty for both though, which would basically be losing all semblance of accuracy/ability to fire and you can't get up for a few seconds. The amount of motion you have going into it makes the penalties worse so going into prone while standing still isn't nearly as bad as doing it while jumping. That way it's available as a "holy shit get behind cover" option but not as something that can be exploited in combat.

TwistedJester on
    edited February 2011

But you don't get anything as defender on Phu Bai rush. It's really dumb.

Rush on that map IS dumb. Which is why I mostly play Conquest in Vietnam. As a Conquest map, Phu Bai is excellent. As is Project Hastings. Cao Sun and Hill 137 are alright as either, and Vantage Point is consistently THE WORST BF map in existence.

CarbonFire on
    edited February 2011
    Oh yeah, Hastings Rush is even worse, defenders don't get ANYTHING against attackers, which have the chopper (You can have 2 if it survives the first point) tanks and PBR boats. They really didn't think out balance for Rush on these maps did they.

I do love Conquest on Vietnam though.

Satsumomo on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    CoD has grappling hooks now? Thats kinda cool actually but I imagine is implemented horribly.

I'm not sure, but now I have the urge to boot up Agent Under Fire now. Thanks.
    My two cents on prone are as follows. You should be able to go into it quickly and while in the air.

So basically you want a dive button, which would turn the game into Gears of War.

See, this is why they just up and took prone out of Bad Company.

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2011
    Warcry wrote: »
    It comes out in Autumn, there might be one.

He's talking about the game whose name is in the title of this thread.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    edited February 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I'm not sure, but now I have the urge to boot up Agent Under Fire now. Thanks.
    My two cents on prone are as follows. You should be able to go into it quickly and while in the air.

So basically you want a dive button, which would turn the game into Gears of War.

See, this is why they just up and took prone out of Bad Company.

I wouldn't have a problem with a dive button/maneuver under the following conditions...

You have to be running
    You can't do it while jumping/in the air
    Once you dive to prone, your gun lowers for a second or two, and it takes another second or two for your accuracy to come back after you ready your weapon.
    You take a small amount of damage from diving to prone.

Dive should be purely a self-preservation technique, not a maneuver to give you an edge during firefights.
    Normal prone shouldn't suffer from these shortcomings, but it should take much longer to get into and out of normal prone.

CarbonFire on
    edited February 2011
    I don't think taking damage would be a very good idea, unless maybe it's like getting a foul in baseball. It counts for damage, but it won't take you below a certain amount of health.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    maybe more of a stun/haze rather then damage. think grenade just went off and everything is a touch fuzzy for a sec or two. like you just got the wind knocked out of you

mts on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.