As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Need Books

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just picked up a Nook and now I need to start loading it up. Satire, fantasy, and sci fi are my overall preferred genres. Books China related are good too.

Books/Authors I like:

Christopher Buckley
Christopher Moore
Neil Gaiman, particularly Neverwhere
Everything by Pratchett
Almost everything by Iain M. Banks
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
Malazan series
Song of Ice and Fire
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Elephant and the Dragon

Thanks for any suggestions!

Quid on

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe V. by Thomas Pynchon?

Anything by Vonnegut.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You tried any of the Temeraire books by Naomi Novak? Alternate history Napoleanic wars, with Dragons.

Z0re on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Patrick Rothuss's Name of the Wind.

The sequel- Wise Men's Fears comes out soon too.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you like sci-fi at all, you should read William Gibson and Philip K. Dick. Oh, and Ursula LeGuin.

I also second the Vonnegut recommendations. Seems up your alley.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I highly recommend Gibson and PKD too. God, so many great books between the two of them.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gene Wolfe.

Everyone needs to read a lot more Gene Wolfe.

Librarian on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

Kind of like Pratchett set in China.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you can find them, check out the Acts of Caine by Matt Stover. There are three books in the series so far - Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle, and Caine Black Knife - and all of them are masterful combinations of gritty near-future sci-fi, rich fantasy, challenging social and philosophical commentary, and bone-cracking brutal violence.

Guy Gavriel Kay is a little outside of your tastes, but if you feel like something a bit more lyrical, check out Tigana or The Lions of Al-Rassan.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Highly recommend the Hyperion Cantos and Illium/Olympos by Dan Simmons for some sci-fi!

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    BigbluefootBigbluefoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I read Stephen King before I started reading the Song of Ice and Fire books, and I like both. Dean Koontz as well. Anything dog related by Koontz is great. Watchers, the Moonlight Bay books. Stephen King is pretty much a good bet, no matter what it is, but the Dark Tower series is amazing. 'Salem's Lot was great, so were The Stand, The Shining, It, Under the Dome, pretty much anything you can think of. I'm a pretty big King junky, but yeah, give him a shot.

Oh, and the Ender series, by Orson Scott Card. His Alvin Maker is really good, too.

Bigbluefoot on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pick up the HP Lovecraft compilation too, it's like 3 bucks and has a ton of great stories.

schuss on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seconding King, especially the Dark Tower. He has some meh stuff, but he has pure gold as well. The Dark Tower is almost all gold.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson too!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Highly recommend the Hyperion Cantos and Illium/Olympos by Dan Simmons for some sci-fi!

Thissssss, especially the Hyperion Cantos. Four books, all awesome.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Kitten SwarmKitten Swarm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    On the fantasy side of things, "Cavern of Black Ice" by JV Jones, the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, Thomas Covenant Chronicles by Stephen R. Donaldson, and the Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust might be up your alley.

Also second/thirding Hyperion Cantos and PKD short stories.

If you like GRRM, you might want to pick up the two volume Dreamsongs collection of his short stories. I really loved them, especially some of the sci-fi ones.

Kitten Swarm on
    You may learn that one day to your sorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    I just picked up a Nook and now I need to start loading it up. Satire, fantasy, and sci fi are my overall preferred genres. Books China related are good too.

Books/Authors I like:

Christopher Buckley
    Christopher Moore
    Neil Gaiman, particularly Neverwhere
    Everything by Pratchett
    Almost everything by Iain M. Banks
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
    Malazan series
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The Elephant and the Dragon

Thanks for any suggestions!

Especially given your line of work, I think you would really enjoy Charles Stross' Laundry series. You'd probably like everything he wrote, but start with those.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should have mentioned, but most older science fiction just isn't for me. That said I've combed B&N for most of the recommendations and am looking forward to tearing through these on my next trip.

Quid on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Quid, have you tried Glen Cook's Black Company series? It is pretty good, and one of Steven Erikison's inspirations for the Malazan series.

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn is good. Though I've only read the first book so far.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should have mentioned, but most older science fiction just isn't for me. That said I've combed B&N for most of the recommendations and am looking forward to tearing through these on my next trip.

Define "Older". Are you referring to Frank Herbert/Asimov/Heinlein?
    I heartily recommend everything Neal Stephenson up to Cryptominocon (system of the world series is lackluster IMO)
    William Gibson is good, but after Neuromancer his books all have mostly the same formula (still entertaining though)
    I just started Pillars of the Earth, and it's excellent so far.

schuss on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Quid, have you tried Glen Cook's Black Company series? It is pretty good, and one of Steven Erikison's inspirations for the Malazan series.

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn is fucking fantastic and I can't believe it took you guys this long to recommend it. Though I've only read the first book so far.

Fixed that one.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    BigbluefootBigbluefoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another writer, even though a lot of his stuff would be more teen oriented, is Brian Jacques. I really enjoyed reading his Redwall books, and the Castaways of the Flying Dutchman books are pretty good, too.

Bigbluefoot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jeff Vandermeer's stuff might be a good read

I've only just started reading one of the two books i've got from him, but i think it might appeal to your neverwhere sensibility.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ceres wrote: »

Thissssss, especially the Hyperion Cantos. Four books, all awesome.

These finally came out in digital form, at least on the Kindle. I'm assuming they either are available on the Nook as well or will be soon. Buy them and do your part to convince publishers that there is a large intersection of people who love hard scifi and people who own e-readers.

On a similar note Vernor Vinge's books are on there too. A Fire Upon the Deep, Deepness in the Sky, The Peace War, and Marooned in Realtime- all quite good.

If you like Pratchett you might also like Scott Lynch- Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas Under Red Skies are out now, with a third one out this month.

zilo on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Battle Royale - Koshun Takami
    The Girl Next Door - Jack Ketchum
    Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy

I've read parts of the Temeraire series and though the premise is pretty good I can't recommend it.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh! The Dresden Files! Start with Storm Front. It's excellent. Described as semiautomagica. It's got magic, it's got PI Detective work, it's got humor, it's great.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    schuss wrote: »

Define "Older". Are you referring to Frank Herbert/Asimov/Heinlein?
    I heartily recommend everything Neal Stephenson up to Cryptominocon (system of the world series is lackluster IMO)
    William Gibson is good, but after Neuromancer his books all have mostly the same formula (still entertaining though)
    I just started Pillars of the Earth, and it's excellent so far.

Golden Age era and a few decades after, yeah. Which isn't to say I don't like any of it, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule, so I prefer to leave those books to trips to the library.

Quid on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm. Have you read Dracula or Frankenstein? If not, head over to Project Gutenberg and download them for free.

Different genre, but you could do the same with all the Sherlock Holmes stuff.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    FoodAddictFoodAddict Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you liked Hitchhiker's Guide, check out Red Dwarf. Both have a lot in common as both are humorous sci fi and started out as BBC programs.

It's been a few years since I've read it but, Sir Apropos of Nothing was a hilarious twist on fantasy. The 1st book is superior by far, though.

FoodAddict on