As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bluth Family Crest (formerly "Color Help")

EdmanEdman Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hello people!

It's been a while since I've posted a real thing, so here goes:

I'm working on a t-shirt, and am running into a couple of problems. First off, I think it's either going to be a sand or silver grey shirt, as demonstrated below...

bluth-family-crest-1.jpg

or

bluth-family-crest-2.jpg

However, my real problem is in the palette. I definitely want the orange and the blue, as they are good references to the show. The yellow just makes sense in context, but I'm having a real hard time getting the colors to work on the shield. So I've just painted it all orange and left it like that for a while. I've just gotten back on the project, and I need some fresh eyes.

What do you guys think?

Edman on

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I don't have much to say other than the blue spots are an amazing touch and this is really really good.

bombardier on
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    May I ask what are you doing this for? Like Threadless or are you going to do some screenprinting yourself or getting someone to do it?
    I would consider liniting how many colours you want to use just incase.

JeckalHyde on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The shade of orange just isn't doing it for me... maybe a more faded shade of orange?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I definitely prefer the 1st one (sand, I guess).

Also, just wanted to say viva Arrested Development, and this is a great, in-joke riddled crest. The chicken is my favorite touch. Koo-koo-ka-chaw!

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, this is going to be a Threadless submission, but you guys give waaaay better critiques.
    I was originally going to go for a different shade of orange, but this is the same one that they use in the show. I'm still torn on whether it's the best for this shirt.

I'll work up another couple variations on the sand color, and we'll see where it goes.

Edman on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I know threadless skates the line sometimes, but I worry about the bluth logo legally.

other than that, I always prefer non-white tees and would go for the sand. This is pretty much the best AD tee I've ever seen, though, so I hope it gets printed.

Iruka on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    look at yourself michael, You're hitting walls with hammers, your shirt is covered in blu....oh thats my fault

NakedZergling on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was watching AD for the first time in a long time on my computer and was casually checking the forums when this thread popped up.

Whoa.

DeeLock on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Definitely putting in my vote for the second design, and I want to buy that shirt, so make it happen....

.....Mister F....

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like everything about this except the "I need a favor", but that's a personal preference - I don't like a lot of text on my t-shirts that aren't a name/part of the logo.

I also like the first color better, though I'd rather it a bit darker.

But that's just me!

melting_doll on
    edited February 2011
    I'm good with the "I need a favor" simply because it's presented like a family motto in a conventional coat of arms and that's a joke in and of itself.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I guess I just don't recognize it as a common quote as much as I do "I've made a huge mistake" or "Her?" or ".com!" or something else.

melting_doll on
    edited February 2011
    "I've made a huge mistake" would totally work in the same spot.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Just to clarify, the "I need a favor" came from one of the episodes, and gave me the idea for it.

Lucille: I need a favor.
    Michael: We ought to put that on our family crest.

Edman on
    edited February 2011
    Exactly! :^:

Man, this design has reignited my AD fandom. This needs to happen.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Edman wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the "I need a favor" came from one of the episodes, and gave me the idea for it.

Lucille: I need a favor.
    Michael: We ought to put that on our family crest.
    Exactly. And this was a show all about inside jokes. Or subtle jokes. The snoopy in the good grief episode still kills me. Also the reaction when Bland...sorry... Ann...dumps George Michael and he starts to sob as the camera cuts away.

NakedZergling on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If threadless doesn't work out for you don't forget, there's always money in the banana stand.

Also let us know if it get's through cause I'll totally buy the hell out of it.

Mustang on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know at least three people besides myself who would need to own this shirt if it gets through. I like the contrast better on the first one, but I think the rest of it looks good to me.

tapeslinger on
  • bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think you need some blue on the right side to even it out:

bluth-family-crest-2_blue.jpg

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
    edited February 2011
    I would probably put the blue in the runner color at the bottom of the boat. In the window looks really odd.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• bustin98bustin98 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Refresh.

Yeah, I was feeling the runner might be an alternative, but wasn't really sure if a continuous strip would work as well.

Seems to work pretty well though.

Changed the bottom to white to bring it out, reduce the amount of brown.

I also think something needs to offset the dog house. I played with coloring the pieces of the banner orange, but it doesn't really work. I tried a paint splot, just to have something filling in the space on the bottom right around the banner, but it didn't fit the overall design.

bustin98 on
    Xbox Live, PSN, Twitter: bustin98
    edited February 2011
    Counter-suggestion: move the blue on the banner to the right side to balance out the elevator car without changing the boat, which is a specific boat that doesn't have any blue on it.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've got a question that relates to the thread. I'm fairly new to the AC in general and I was just wondering what the deal was with Threadless?

Is there some inherent benefit to being a part of that collection? Are the profit margins and recognition nice?

That's not a smartass question, I'm genuinely curious as to why you're looking to them instead of self printing such an awesome shirt?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    I've got a question that relates to the thread. I'm fairly new to the AC in general and I was just wondering what the deal was with Threadless?

Is there some inherent benefit to being a part of that collection? Are the profit margins and recognition nice?

That's not a smartass question, I'm genuinely curious as to why you're looking to them instead of self printing such an awesome shirt?

Well, you need to consider the logistics of getting a silk screening kit together, setting up an online store to sell your t-shirt design and then getting the word out there that you have an awesome design that everyone should buy. It's not quite as easy as self publishing a web comic.

Grifter on
  • AimAim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I would probably put the blue in the runner color at the bottom of the boat. In the window looks really odd.

From a realism point of view I'd make the side pannel just below the windows blue. the part currently painted is typically under water, it doesn't make much sense to paint it blue.

The other thing would be to bring out the shield a bit more - make the edge more visible. Right now it seems too melted into the background.

Aim on
  • devilkindevilkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My preference is the grey shirt.

devilkin on
    I give men dreams, and men are led by their dreams.

Stick Figure Serials Comic Blog
    http://stickfigureserials.blogspot.com/
    edited February 2011
    Aim wrote: »
    Nappuccino wrote: »

From a realism point of view I'd make the side pannel just below the windows blue. the part currently painted is typically under water, it doesn't make much sense to paint it blue.

The other thing would be to bring out the shield a bit more - make the edge more visible. Right now it seems too melted into the background.

Yep, no one has ever painted the bottom of a boat blue before

Boat%20Paint%20Job-Pruitt-1.jpg
    Boat1.JPG
    2008-02-02_124901_drydock_portside.jpg
    AquaPlyMseagrant.jpg

These were all in the first two pages of google image results for "boat paint"

Nappuccino on

• ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's always money in the banana stand!

Obilex on
    edited February 2011
    Ok, sorry it took so long to update this thing, but here's a revised version based on your critiques.
    I've reversed the blue, fixed the coloration on the shield, added a little more detail, and tried to balance the colors more by fading the yellow. I also decided to keep the boat bottom black. (Sorry, Nappuccino.)

Further thoughts before I submit this to TeeFury? (Threadless is a little iffy on the copyright thing, and I can keep the rights once it's been sold out on TF - I am open to suggestions, though, since I rarely design shirts.) cthulhu-happy-ani.gif

bluth-family-crest-3.jpg

Edman on
    edited February 2011
    My suggestion: hurry it up because I'd like to buy this shirt.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Haha! If I don't hear any more scathing critiques by tonight, it will definitely be submitted, and I'll track any progress on this thread.

Edman on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd agree with the "needs blue on the right" assessment. Right now it looks off balance.

Other than that, fantastic. Link when this shirt goes live. I'd also buy it.

Enc on
  • KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Enc wrote: »
    I'd agree with the "needs blue on the right" assessment. Right now it looks off balance.

Other than that, fantastic. Link when this shirt goes live. I'd also buy it.

Same here, a bit of blue on the right will complete this masterpiece, in my opinion. Definitely hope this gets printed :^:

Kronus on
    edited February 2011
    Ok, I added a little blue to the right side, and took away some from the left. It's not perfectly balanced, but I think it still works - especially with the unbalanced brown and orange areas.

I just submitted it to TeeFury, so we'll see what happens!

bluth-family-crest.jpg

Edman on
    edited February 2011
    I guess that it is weird to me that, for a shirt so symmetrical in design you are so steadfast in keeping the color very unsymmetrical in one precise area of the shirt.... but what ever... Its still pretty rad but I just don't think i could buy it as is.

Nappuccino on

edited February 2011
    No, I understand - I'm just more concerned with accuracy to the series. From all the looking I've done, the Seaward does not have a blue bottom.

And like I've said before: The brown and orange are pretty asymmetrical as well, so that makes me a little more comfortable with the blue being asymmetrical as well.

TeeFury might want to change the colors up a bit anyhow, so we'll see. :)

Edman on
    edited February 2011
    Get rid of the seaward.

NakedZergling on
    edited February 2011
    "Get rid of the seaward."

Ha!

Also, good news. The design has been accepted, so I'll post on here when it's going live.
    Thanks for all your help, people. Truly, the PA:AC is the best AC.

Edman on
    edited February 2011
    I was looking for ,"I'll leave when I'm good and ready.". But ha works too

NakedZergling on
    edited April 2011
    Hello everyone,

As promised, I'm letting you know when the shirt is going on sale at TeeFury. It's tomorrow, April 7th, for one day only. As you can see, they changed the design a bit (such as making the shirt yellow and removing Tobias' smudge :?) Here's their final design:

teefury-bluth-1.jpg

teefury-bluth-2.jpg

For those that still want the original design, I'll be selling it on RedBubble pretty shortly thereafter.
    Thanks for all your critiques and help on this one!

Edman on