As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Hunters], Misdirecting everyone but tanks since '07

• Options
    Nulian FeadraugNulian Feadraug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Okay i got a few questions.

I've been leveling a goblin hunter. currently level 70.

1) When a talent or skill 'increases ranged haste' does that mean it does not increase meele haste? and more importantly, which haste is focus regeneration bonuses due to haste calculated on?

2) the goblin racial 1% haste talent says meele and casting...does that include ranged?

3) A quick poll for you BM players...what are your top pets in each of the types (cunning/feroc/tenac).

1) I'll tackle the "more important" portion of the question, the haste-based focus regen is based on your total haste as far as I've read. The biggest thing with this is that there's very little you can do to substantially increase your focus regen via haste, and it would cost more than would be worth it to attempt so. You likely will not notice an increase in focus regen if you stack more haste.

2) Yes, it most certainly does, one reason my pretty BE toon is now an ugly little goblin

3) I don't play BM that much, I have a spec for soloing crazy things, because it helps if your pet's a beast, but one of the most important things about pets is that you want to be able to break out a pet to fill gaps in the buffs/debuffs your group has. I use a different pet instance by instance (usually, though I end up needing the wind serpent more often than anything else) based on the missing buff/debuff

Nulian Feadraug on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well its not like im trying to stack haste...what im getting at is that i have several talents and abiilities like rapid fire that say 'increases ranged haste by 40%'. now im assuming that all these abilities contribute to the focus regeneration haste bonus...which would mean that i dont want to stack these abilities like rapid fire and focus fire or rapid fire and the shaman haste buff since haste is usually multiplicative instead of additive. I just want to verify this is the reason many of the faqs im reading say dont use rapid fire during ancestral fury/shaman buff...im assuming they want me to use my buffs one after the other so you get a constant bonus to focus regeneration, and not have gaps where im not getting any.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Melee haste" for all purposes is the same as ranged haste.

When something says "ranged haste" (like pathfinding) then it only increases ranged haste.

If you rapid fire while under the effects of Heroism, your steady/cobra will likely be under 1.0 seconds of cast time. This is suboptimal, as using one of these abilities also procs a 1.0 second GCD. The result is that although you cast very fast, you are not getting the full benefit of the haste buff.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    There's a 3-player and a 5-player group quest in Borean Tundra; I soloed both of them with a Bear pet, lol. Helps that I'm still overgeared in t5 loots from when I stopped playing.
    There's a 5-player group quest in BT?

forty on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was doing the whole MD pet sac on the golbin pulls in Heroic throne, then i realised,

JUST USE MULTISHOT
    Then hit deterrence.
    /dance as every spear misses you
    /FD

Sonork on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sonork wrote: »
    I was doing the whole MD pet sac on the golbin pulls in Heroic throne, then i realised,

JUST USE MULTISHOT
    Then hit deterrence.
    /dance as every spear misses you
    /FD

*blinks*

Huh.

That never occurred to me.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah when i thought of it i was all.. wtf why didn't i think of that immediately!?!?

I think us as hunters are so used to MD'ing shit away from us it's not on our main logic stream to think of pulling shit to ourselves.

Sonork on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay i got a few questions.

I've been leveling a goblin hunter. currently level 70.

3) A quick poll for you BM players...what are your top pets in each of the types (cunning/feroc/tenac).

For Tenacity my Rhino has been unstoppable. He takes a beating like no one's business and just keeps coming back for more. I had 5 mobs in a row, non-stop come after me and my Rhino never dipped below 90% with sporadic mend pets.

My favorite Ferocity pet is Core Hound, he has an insane OH SHIT button (sadly, can only be used once every 10mins) and his lava flow slows down casters. I also think his loudness and flaming puts people off in PvP.

When I do Dungeons, I bring out my wolf. He has good DPS, plus gives the party 5% more to melee crit. So far this trifecta has been working out flawlessly. I'm still waiting to come across a black Devilsaur though. I haven't trekked back to Un'Goro since I got the Beast Mastery talent.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Both Core Hound and Rhino are exotic pets, right? So only available to BM hunters ..

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    forty wrote: »
    There's a 3-player and a 5-player group quest in Borean Tundra; I soloed both of them with a Bear pet, lol. Helps that I'm still overgeared in t5 loots from when I stopped playing.

I think the 'big blue weapon' quest on alliance side is labeled 5-man, but 2 was usually enough if one could heal at least a little.

Bobble on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    forty wrote: »

I think the 'big blue weapon' quest on alliance side is labeled 5-man, but 2 was usually enough if one could heal at least a little.

Sorry, not Borean Tundra; I meant Dragonblight. This one;

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=12438

Still and all, I've soloed every non-instance "group" quest I've come across so far up to level 77.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Both Core Hound and Rhino are exotic pets, right? So only available to BM hunters ..

To be fair he asked BM hunters.

As Survival with a Survival offspec (PvP) I use..

Wolf [Fenriz] [Fenriz](5% crit, needed for 10 man on 2 tank fights)
    Ravager [HereForFour] (4% physical, needed for 10 man 1 tank fights as our warrior OT goes Fury)
    Nether Ray [Athabasca] (Interrupt for H SFK, yes, it's that bad!)
    Monkey[FreeFacial] (PvP Pet, It's a 4 second stun, will be a second scatter shot next patch)
    Lighting Serpent [BreadnCheese] (Random Dungeoun pet, if there is a Fury Warrior or we get Grim Batol)

My other pets that I seldom use are a Seagul [SntchnYoWpn] (PVP pet, disarm rules!) and a Wasp [Huhu] (Princess Huhu, stun). I have a Chromaggus [Chromie] in my stable on the off change BM becomes viable again.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Devilsaur has the same 5% crit bonus as wolf...if im bm i should have that one instead right or does the wolf have an abilty thats better in your opinion.

azith28 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You should always have the equivalent exotic pet. They get an extra ability. Mind you, the extra abilities aren't always that great, but eh.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Since the devilsaur's extra ability is close to useless for PvE, I wouldn't really go to the trouble unless you like leveling up pets or intend to PvP with it as well. Or if you like stomping.

forty on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I just started a new Human Hunter alt. She is only level 11 so far :) Any advice on what pets are good for leveling? I want to grab a cat for sure, but other than that I haven't really decided.

P.S. - Been awhile since I followed hunters, did they change it so you can stable as many pets as you want? (with a possible exception of only a couple "active" pets) Or is there still a limit?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I believe 20 is the stable limit now. You gain more slots for "active" pets as you level, starting with 1 at level 10 and finally getting your 5th at 85.

forty on
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So I just started a new Human Hunter alt. She is only level 11 so far :) Any advice on what pets are good for leveling? I want to grab a cat for sure, but other than that I haven't really decided.

I'm just now leveling a hunter so I'll give you my opinion, but keep in mind I'm far from a veteran (in ANY class) so this is just my experience.

Honestly, I'd just run a cat the entire time. It just feels more damaging, stuff seems to die faster and my overall DPS seems better. I ran a wolf for a while but it didn't seem as good as the cat. Just turn off prowl, it's unnecessary. It has tanked everything I've asked all the way to my current level of 61, including a level 63 elite when I was level 60. I do solo in BM spec, but honestly I don't think it would really have changed, based on the times I've accidentally left survival spec on. He holds agro great as well.

For soloing I'm yet to be impressed by any tenacity or cunning pets at all. I just tame them occasionally because they look interesting :). I guess at some point a tenacity pet will be useful, but up to 60 that time has not yet occurred.

Having said that, as long as your pet holds agro it really won't matter too much.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

To be fair he asked BM hunters.

Oh ... I wasn't critizising him or anything. As I am not a BM hunter I just genuinely wanted to know or rather make sure I have it right. Probably should have put a ? behind that second sentence.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

P.S. - Been awhile since I followed hunters, did they change it so you can stable as many pets as you want? (with a possible exception of only a couple "active" pets) Or is there still a limit?

Honestly, I would run with whatever feels fun to you. I went from 5-69 using a Wolf cause he was fun. I had zero trouble with content. It wasn't until WotlK where I went in as soon as I could and wasn't geared that I had the slightest bit of trouble.

Once you get that high and can pump in enough points into a Tenacity pet they can be extremely durable and tank some insane content. Till then, pick what's prettiest. I would personally just stay away from a pet with a ranged ability, they tend to use that first drawing the mob towards you. I like melee pets with a dash and/or speed upgrade. The soon they are hitting and Kill Commanding a mob, the sooner you can off load onto it making for very quick killing!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I still think they need to redo which pets are classified as exotics. Most of the stuff on the current list I wouldn't call exotic per se.

Demons, druids, elementals, slimes, ghosts, dragonkin, golems, etc...now those are exotic! Overgrown lizards, dogs, and bugs...not so much.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    I still think they need to redo which pets are classified as exotics. Most of the stuff on the current list I wouldn't call exotic per se.

Demons, druids, elementals, slimes, ghosts, dragonkin, golems, etc...now those are exotic! Overgrown lizards, dogs, and bugs...not so much.

I would love to train a Druid, that would be hilarious! Kind of like a Mind Control, but for Hunters.

I also think the exotic list could use a good refresher including their abilities. I enjoy the Core Hounds ability, it ups my DPS like HOLY SHIT, but the cool down is 4minutes, but I can't be affected by it except for every 10minutes? I don't get that.

I don't know if they can, but I would think as a Beast Master you would be able to tame anything that files under beast. Why the shit can't I tame a Wooly Mamoth!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DrunkMc wrote: »

I would love to train a Druid, that would be hilarious! Kind of like a Mind Control, but for Hunters.

I also think the exotic list could use a good refresher including their abilities. I enjoy the Core Hounds ability, it ups my DPS like HOLY SHIT, but the cool down is 4minutes, but I can't be affected by it except for every 10minutes? I don't get that.

I don't know if they can, but I would think as a Beast Master you would be able to tame anything that files under beast. Why the shit can't I tame a Wooly Mamoth!

I have no complaints. The list of tameable pets and the variety of skills the have is nothing short of spectacular compared to the days of Classic and TBC.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I have no complaints. The list of tameable pets and the variety of skills the have is nothing short of spectacular compared to the days of Classic and TBC.

I should note I'm not complaining, and it's more nice to haves then need to haves. I already have more pets then I can shake a stick at! The only thing that seems weird the Core Hounds ability with a cool down half of how long you have to wait till you can be affected by it. That's off, otherwise they're pretty jim-dandy.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    All of the heroism esque abilities are like that. It's so if your party/raid/you die on a rough boss fight, you don't have to wait 10 full minutes for the buff to come back up, because Insanity/ Exhausation / Sated? are debuffs and thus go away when you are slain.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    And if you're wondering why the debuff is ten minutes, it's so that it can only be used once per encounter (generally speaking). Most raid boss fights take more than five minutes now, so if the debuff duration matched the 5-minute cooldown (of bloodlust/heroism/time warp, anyway), you'd be able to use it early in a fight and then later on. There are a small handful of fights that do go over 10 minutes, though, so I suppose you could actually lust twice in fights such as Lich King (well, obsolete now) or heroic Maloriak.

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cryogen wrote: »

I'm just now leveling a hunter so I'll give you my opinion, but keep in mind I'm far from a veteran (in ANY class) so this is just my experience.

Honestly, I'd just run a cat the entire time. It just feels more damaging, stuff seems to die faster and my overall DPS seems better. I ran a wolf for a while but it didn't seem as good as the cat. Just turn off prowl, it's unnecessary. It has tanked everything I've asked all the way to my current level of 61, including a level 63 elite when I was level 60. I do solo in BM spec, but honestly I don't think it would really have changed, based on the times I've accidentally left survival spec on. He holds agro great as well.

For soloing I'm yet to be impressed by any tenacity or cunning pets at all. I just tame them occasionally because they look interesting :). I guess at some point a tenacity pet will be useful, but up to 60 that time has not yet occurred.

Having said that, as long as your pet holds agro it really won't matter too much.

I ended up picking up a rare cat from Teldrassil (white sabre with black spots) and I'm liking him so far. He seems a lot better at smashing faces than the wolf, but that might just be because I have Kill Command now :P

Prowl is a little annoying though. He usually keeps up with me out-of-combat but not always (guess that's what I get for shooting rabbits?) I may try to turn that off. For some reason the game refuses to let me keep it on my pet bar though (it seems to be missing by default and even if I put it on there, any time I have to re-call him or revive him or whatever, it's gone again).

P.S. - I wish I didn't have to stable my current pet to tame a new one. It'd be nice if I could tame one and have it go straight to stables or something.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Considering the only difference between pets of the same type is their buff/debuff now, all ferocity pets do about the same damage (a slightly more useful soloing buff/debuff should be the only thing accounting for a slight difference).

forty on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ah, that does make sense now. I'm not a raider, so I forget some fights are over 5minutes!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cryogen wrote: »

I ended up picking up a rare cat from Teldrassil (white sabre with black spots) and I'm liking him so far. He seems a lot better at smashing faces than the wolf, but that might just be because I have Kill Command now :P

Prowl is a little annoying though. He usually keeps up with me out-of-combat but not always (guess that's what I get for shooting rabbits?) I may try to turn that off. For some reason the game refuses to let me keep it on my pet bar though (it seems to be missing by default and even if I put it on there, any time I have to re-call him or revive him or whatever, it's gone again).

P.S. - I wish I didn't have to stable my current pet to tame a new one. It'd be nice if I could tame one and have it go straight to stables or something.

Definitely turn off prowl. The small increase you get on the first hit is more than lost by the difference in time it takes for the pet to actually reach the target. On that note I also recommend taking all of the speed increase pet talents as soon as they are available. It's weird prowl wont stay on your pet bar, no idea why that would happen.

Also you'll be able to tame additional pets starting from level 18 with Call Pet 2 so you wont have to worry as much about stabling.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone seen with their own eyes a Devilsaur in Un'Goro since Cataclysm? I can only find the Devilsaur queen, and she's untameable. I did all the un'goro quests leveling and I don't remember seeing one. Are htey still there?

N/M, as soon as I hit post a white one went walking by!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Devilsaurs are ninjas, remember?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone seen with their own eyes a Devilsaur in Un'Goro since Cataclysm? I can only find the Devilsaur queen, and she's untameable. I did all the un'goro quests leveling and I don't remember seeing one. Are htey still there?

N/M, as soon as I hit post a white one went walking by!

You cannot tame the queen? boo hiss you sure ruin the fun pets blizzard

I leveled my blood elf hunter to 80 with her cat I do find it funny until I got it I died 20 times due to failing to kite or various other problems

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You can stable up to 20 pets. And eventually you can have 5 pets with you at a time.

I would recommend leveling with a Tank personally, or at least make sure you have one with you at all times for those moments when you want to take on an entire camp of mobs or take down an even level elite.

I started out with a tallstrider (rare one at that) but switched to a crab once I found a cool one. Stuck with that for the most part but I did have a Cat with me for those "I REALLY need dps" moments.

Honestly though going from 1-60 it really doesn't matter, choose a pet that you think is cool, you won't have too many talents to put into the pet so they aren't going to be too different. I found the Tank is nice because eventually you can give it a moderate threat AoE move that helps it hold multiple mobs.

Eventually at lvl 85 you are going to want to carry around A Tank pet, and DPS of various types to give raid buffs that are not represented by other classes.

Right now I have a Beetle Tank (the 50% demage reduction is amazing for those "OH shit!" moments.
    A Cat for the raid buff.
    A Wasp for the stun ability because Survival hunters have limited options and if it is a fight that needs stuns available it can help a lot.
    Loque'nahak because, well because it's Loque'nahak :)

My 5th slot is open just in case I come across some other interesting or rare pet that I want to grab without dismissing something I currently have.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've found the heal from the Spirit Beast to be exceptionally useful; I am using Gondria as my questing/instancing pet unless I'm soloing a group quest in which case I switch to a bear.

Haven't needed to bandage or use a potion since I got him.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You can stable up to 20 pets. And eventually you can have 5 pets with you at a time.

I would recommend leveling with a Tank personally, or at least make sure you have one with you at all times for those moments when you want to take on an entire camp of mobs or take down an even level elite.

I started out with a tallstrider (rare one at that) but switched to a crab once I found a cool one. Stuck with that for the most part but I did have a Cat with me for those "I REALLY need dps" moments.

Honestly though going from 1-60 it really doesn't matter, choose a pet that you think is cool, you won't have too many talents to put into the pet so they aren't going to be too different. I found the Tank is nice because eventually you can give it a moderate threat AoE move that helps it hold multiple mobs.

Eventually at lvl 85 you are going to want to carry around A Tank pet, and DPS of various types to give raid buffs that are not represented by other classes.

Right now I have a Beetle Tank (the 50% demage reduction is amazing for those "OH shit!" moments.
    A Cat for the raid buff.
    A Wasp for the stun ability because Survival hunters have limited options and if it is a fight that needs stuns available it can help a lot.
    Loque'nahak because, well because it's Loque'nahak :)

My 5th slot is open just in case I come across some other interesting or rare pet that I want to grab without dismissing something I currently have.

Yeah, I ended up picking up a crab and it's freaking awesome. The fact that I can get Charge as a tier 1 talent is absolutely amazing (Dash doesn't work nearly as well for my cat - I did turn off Prowl though and it's a lot better). And it does enough damage right now that I don't mind so much that it's technically a "tanking pet." I wish it held threat better, but oh well.

And then I switch to my cat for dungeons for the really nice group buff.

Now I just need to figure out how to not get so focus starved all the time. It sucks that Kill Command costs 50 focus.

P.S. - SFK can go to fucking hell. I cannot shoot anything in there because of LOS. And to get in LOS, I end up being too close to range attack. Swell. At one point because I couldn't see WTF I was attacking I accidentally tabbed and pulled another group (which we handled fine, the other group was dead) and then got bitched at to "keep my pet on passive." It wasn't even my pet. So yeah, that pissed me off.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah Crabs are pretty awesome. I started with one as a goblin and replaced him around level 35 in dustwallow with those cool blue spiky ones around the alliance base...then swapped him out at 55-60 for the green one in blasted lands in the new area. (wish that one stayed on fire).

I only recently got a devilsaur when i got exotic. I miss my crab tho.
    I will try to get ghostcrawler when i max level.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So according to Fem Dwarf, my marksman spec will be doing about 3k more DPS then my survival one.

Shiiiiiiiiitttttt yooooo

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah Crabs are pretty awesome. I started with one as a goblin and replaced him around level 35 in dustwallow with those cool blue spiky ones around the alliance base...then swapped him out at 55-60 for the green one in blasted lands in the new area. (wish that one stayed on fire).

I only recently got a devilsaur when i got exotic. I miss my crab tho.
    I will try to get ghostcrawler when i max level.

The blue spiky one is exactly the one I used for most of my leveling. I just loved the way it looked. I nabbed ghostcrawler recently, but he's technically a spirit beat so he doesn't get the same tanky abilities as regular crabs. (plus he roars like a cat :))

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So yesterday I ran a normal HoO via LFD. In the end I was 1st in the damage meter as a marksman. I had about 6 to 6.1k DPS, with the next one at about 5.2k ... That was kinda weird, as I never top the damage meter and certainly not by that big a margin.

The only things I changed from before that run was switching from a Raptor to a Bear as a pet and incorporating Serpent Sting into my rotation. Usually I would pull about 5 to 5.3k in dungeons ... and the bear even leveled up from 83 to 85 in that run yesterday.

What I am getting at is ... can the bear and Serpent Sting really make that much of a difference? Or did I just have my rotation finally figured out and that is the increase?

Oh and my rotation is ... Serpent Sting, 2x Steadies, Chimeara, Arcane, Cobra, 2x Steadies ... after the second set of steadies Chimera is usually up again. Hit the free Aimed, when it procs ...

And another question ... those buffs certain pets provide. Do they only provide them in Raids? Or also in 5 man groups and when I am solo? Cause I don't see anything beyond True Shot Aura and whatever Aspect I am having up ...

TheBigEasy on