As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Darkness 2: Twice as many wieldings as Halo 2.

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Just got this in my inbox:
2K GAMES CALLS FOR RETURN OF CHAOS AND DESTRUCTION WITH THE DARKNESS II

Quad-Wielding combat, ruthless story and hand-painted graphic noir art style breathe new life into first-person shooter genre this fall

Windsor, UK – February 8, 2011 – 2K Games announced today that The Darkness™ II, the sequel to the million unit-selling 2007 title, The Darkness™, will be coming to the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC in fall 2011. Developed by Digital Extremes and based on the supernatural horror comic book series created by Top Cow Productions, Inc., The Darkness II takes players down a brutal and personal path as Jackie Estacado, wielder of The Darkness – an ancient and ruthless force of chaos and destruction.

Quad wielding. Can you handle that shit?

I really liked the first game, and it's dirt cheap everywhere now, so track it down if you've not yet played it. Digital Extreme have a patchy track record, but I'm certainly intrigued.

Update: More details and first screenshot over at RPS.

LewieP on

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I, like you really enjoyed the first game. Great setting, and perhaps sounding a bit cheesy, I loved the Darkness :P
    But damnit, more Quad jokes? :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh. Hell. YES!!! I've been waiting for this announcement for some time now; the original was one of the most pleasant "Best Games Nobody Ever Played" early on in the 360's life span, and if they're continuing the story from the original game with more elements from the comics mixed in, it should be good. Shame that Starbreeze isn't on board this time; wonder what they're doing right now?

Grimthwacker on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hope there's no crazy old ladies asking you to jump onto the subway tracks this time around.

They should keep the hub/neutral areas type thing though.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Hope there's no crazy old ladies asking you to jump onto the subway tracks this time around.

Goddamn that lady. :x

I need to replay this some time.

Echo on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    HECK YES! Loved the first, Nazi sections were terrifying. Now we just need a Prey sequel.

Big Classy on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Darkness was a cool, if not spectacular game, so I'm glad it's getting another go.

Note that it is not being developed by Starbreeze, however, who is currently maybe possibly potentially working on Syndicate.

Digital Extremes don't exactly have the best track record, but I hope they can make it work.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited February 2011
    Big Classy on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Darkness was one of the first games I got for my 360 about 3 years ago, and I still haven't touched it. I hope they get Mike Patton back for the sequel.

SteevL on
    edited February 2011
    I just read the digital extremes thing. That's good news in my book. Dark Sector was a great game. That said, it would have been much better had starbreeze taken it on themselves.

Big Classy on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Darkness is one of my favourite games, absolutely brilliantly made and a fantastic story. Meanwhile, Dark Sector seemed utterly bland especially when compared to how it started out. What I'm saying is, I would rather Starbreeze be the ones making this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay for The Darkness! I hunger for the hearts of evil men!

Creating mini black holes was the shit.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Hand painted graphic noir art style" - does this mean we'll be getting some quasi cel-shaded or stylistic visuals this time around? Because as much as the "realistic" visuals of the original didn't mesh with the comic's style (especially the Darkness' manifestation), it did add a very genuine touch to the seriousness of the story and the world. Everything was so gritty and grimy; it matched well with the proceedings.

Hope the original score is just as good as the original's too; perfectly handled ambient music that matched the mood of whatever was going on. Just no more protracted trips into the "center" of The Darkness, please kthnxbye.

Grimthwacker on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just loved the ambience of the subway stations. It's a strange way to see them, but I found them really tranquil and just a nice place to hang out.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I enjoyed the hell out of the first one so I am definitely looking forward to this.

Quad-wielding probably has to do with dual-wielding guns and two tentacles.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Experience THE DARKNESS 2 with the power of KINECT on XBOX360!

Be the DARKNESS and unleash it's powers by jumping, gesturing and shouting at your screen!
    Stick a gun into a thug's mouth by actually playing out the animation!
    Shout "FUCK YOU BITCHES!" to enable bullet time!

I'm looking forward to this!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I... did not expect this sort of outpour of love. I played the game a year ago and found it pretty boring. Came in to the thread expecting a lot of "Why are they making a sequel of that?" posts.

Maybe I should revisit it.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »
    HECK YES! Loved the first, Nazi sections were terrifying. Now we just need a Prey sequel.

PREACH it brotha. Damn I love me some Prey. It might be time for my 6 month replay.

Glad they finally announced The Darkness 2. I need to replay that as well. I really enjoyed it my first time through. Especially the whole ending section.

vamen on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i got this game free with bioshock and played it for 5 minutes and never have put it in since.

i think maybe this weekend Ill fix that.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    I hope they get Mike Patton back for the sequel.

Igort on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also anyone who didn't get the romantic achievement didn't play it right.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know why but I couldn't play The Darkness, the demo made me get motion sick which is strange because that has never happened to me in any other game.

Fizban140 on
    edited February 2011

Made what happened later so much more painful :(

Big Classy on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    First game is one of my all time favorites. Not too excited for this one. No Starbreeze, quad wielding... crappy screen shot. Sounds kinda crap.

corin7 on
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm a Mass Effect fan, so Quad-Wielding is just disturbing...

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am glad a sequel is being made (after that ending) but like everyone else am merely cautiously optimistic because of the developer and hope they retain the voice of The Darkness itself.

Moioink on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not terribly optimistic about the developer change, but if they have good writing and can just not mess it up too much, I'll be happy.

The original game felt a bit "off" after playing a lot of other shooters (console and PC), but the setting, story and action was freakin' awesome, and I would happily play a sequel if it was even close to that. But, did anyone else get that feeling as well? It just felt as though it controlled a bit strangely. Perhaps it was something as subtle as the camera acceleration on the sticks perhaps. This isn't really a bitch, I'm just wondering if I'm crazy :)

Damn did that game have some effective scenes, though. I got the romance achievement without even knowing it existed :D

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it, like all Starbreeze games, The Darkness was damn stylish. They have a real flair about how they animate, light and design everything. Sometimes they are perhaps a little unsophisticated, but they make up for it lots of small stand out elements.

Like if you look at how the guns animate as you reach out the edge of cover in The Darkness, it looks fantastic. Or how the melee combat feels in Riddick.

LewieP on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Darkness II you say? Quad wielding combat you say? Coming to PC you say? WHERE DO I SIGN UP?!

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »

Made what happened later so much more painful :(

It was just a game, they were imaginary characters...

But seeing how that went tore me up a little inside. That BASTARD.
    I took my time in ending him, just for her.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i think what held the first game back was that, when they happened, the open wordly bits that allowed you to attack an objective in different ways was the best part of the game, but sadly there weren't enough of them, in fact, the only one i remember vividly was the one from the demo.

I said in the Duex Ex thread, that THE DARKNESS has the potential to be a HORROR FPS - DEUX EX and I really believe that, i just don't know if the Dev team has the resources and time to create a game like that.

The Darkness 2 needs to be more Grand Theft Auto and less Prey, which gives you the illusion of open world with the teleporters, but really there's only 1 or 2 ways to do a level.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Surprising, but welcome news. The original was one of the first games I got for my PS3, and I found it to be a really solid game overall. Here's hoping the sequel doesn't suck.

Nightslyr on
    edited February 2011
    i think what held the first game back was that, when they happened, the open wordly bits that allowed you to attack an objective in different ways was the best part of the game, but sadly there weren't enough of them, in fact, the only one i remember vividly was the one from the demo.

I said in the Duex Ex thread, that THE DARKNESS has the potential to be a HORROR FPS - DEUX EX and I really believe that, i just don't know if the Dev team has the resources and time to create a game like that.

The Darkness 2 needs to be more Grand Theft Auto and less Prey, which gives you the illusion of open world with the teleporters, but really there's only 1 or 2 ways to do a level.

I really don't know if I agree. I really like the Starbreeze approach where you have several smaller sandboxes instead of one giant one. It gives you options but still allows for a tight narrative. Every single big sandbox game has lost me about half way through. Bought but haven't finished all of the GTAs, Red Dead and The Sabotour.

Deus Ex is a lot closer to The Darkness than it is to Grand Theft Auto. And really Deus Ex really nailed the right combination which is why we are still talking about it and comparing everything to it to this day.

corin7 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fuck yes. The Darkness was a fantastic game and certainly worth $60, let alone the $20 or less you can get it for now.

urahonky on
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    $20 or less you can get it for now.
    You can get it for $7 at GameStop. GAMESTOP.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    corin7 wrote: »

I really don't know if I agree. I really like the Starbreeze approach where you have several smaller sandboxes instead of one giant one. It gives you options but still allows for a tight narrative. Every single big sandbox game has lost me about half way through. Bought but haven't finished all of the GTAs, Red Dead and The Sabotour.

Deus Ex is a lot closer to The Darkness than it is to Grand Theft Auto. And really Deus Ex really nailed the right combination which is why we are still talking about it and comparing everything to it to this day.

Woah woah woah... you need to finish this one. Its like... something every gamer needs to do.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I loved the Darkness; flawed, but one of the best game experiences out there.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dunno. For some reason, the press release makes it seem like they are going away from what I heard was good about the first Darkness: pathos and story

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited February 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    corin7 wrote: »

Woah woah woah... you need to finish this one. Its like... something every gamer needs to do.

haha, it's on the list. It did hold my interest far better than most.

corin7 on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really enjoyed Saboteur. Mechanics weren't great but the tone was enjoyable.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    More FPS games need to incorporate a physical body that you can look down and see doing things. It just feels better.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png