As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fashion: Sometimes, a Dude's Gotta Look Like a Pair of Uggs

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The crotch thing was just unfortunate scribbling over the image I found of ridiculous skinny jeans.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i wear what i guess people call "super-skinny" but they fit basically like slightly-tighter 511s on me

being 135 lbs and 6'1" will do that i guess

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    i wear what i guess people call "super-skinny" but they fit basically like slightly-tighter 511s on me

My suggestion would be to try to make yourself look as lanky and stretched out as possible.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guys, I have a dark purple pencil skirt that I love, but what sort of top would you recommend me buying to go with it?

Liiya on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

My suggestion would be to try to make yourself look as lanky and stretched out as possible.

and wranglers are the way to do that?

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Liiya wrote: »
    Guys, I have a dark purple pencil skirt that I love, but what sort of top would you recommend me buying to go with it?

Dark purple is one of my favorite colors. Unfortunately it doesn't look that great on me, but usually tans or light yellows or grays work best. Maybe a grey top with a pale orange scarf.

EDIT: and a mid-gray, not a dark gray.

Or grey, which ever way it's supposed to be spelled.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It was sarcasm.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Dark purple is one of my favorite colors. Unfortunately it doesn't look that great on me, but usually tans or light yellows or grays work best. Maybe a grey top with a pale orange scarf.

Thanks! I'll look for something in those colours to match it up with.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It was sarcasm.

sorry we don't all have your fantastic body capable of fitting normally into 514s

this is my genuine e-pology

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I alternate between 514s and 511s. I'm down to one pair of each.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It was sarcasm.

sorry we don't all have your fantastic body capable of fitting normally into 514s

this is my genuine e-pology

For some reason, after Shoe's rampant atheist ranting last week, I've been reading everything as if he had posted it.

The problems with skinny jeans (and in this case, I'm talking about the ones that look painted on, but it basically applies to all tighter-fit jeans) is that they over-emphasize a narrow frame. For some reason, that has become in-style for skinny hipsters and rock stars, but I would think that a person with scrawnier legs (like me) wouldn't want to point that out to people. Straight leg jeans (when they fit properly and aren't too baggy) create a straight line from the widest point at your hips and add volume to your whole leg. In addition, if you don't really have much in the way of hips in the first place, it can help create a straight line to the outfit that runs up through your torso as well.

The jeans I picked up last week are a pair of 501s and a pair of 505s and they are both snug and fit too my leg without pointing out to the world that I have skinny little stick legs.

If you are in a situation where you have to get skinny cut jeans to fit that bill, there's nothing wrong with that. I think I illustrated what I think is too far in the pictures.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my jeans aren't really that skinny. I just have wonderful legs

it's okay, everyone

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think these 514s are about as slim a fit as I really need right now, or ever

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is that the same for girls too, NaS? Most of my jeans are skinny, I find it hard to get ones that fit.

Liiya on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    shoe went on an atheism rant?

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Girls' legs are almost always okay to emphasize, if you ask me

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well that is what I am wondering, I don't have much else to emphasise you see.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Then rock on!

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    that's not okay to do on the internet anymore?

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Okay, GG!

Liiya on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think one of my problems with skinny jeans on dudes is that, no buddy, your 125 pound frame does not have legs that you need showing off

you just look ridiculous

most ladies that wear skinny jeans have the legs for it

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is that the same for girls too, NaS? Most of my jeans are skinny, I find it hard to get ones that fit.

With women, it depends on body type and what you are wearing them with. The thing to realize about them is that they narrow to the ankle, creating a triangle shape. The wide part of your triangle is your hips. This can be a bad look for a lot of people, but if you have long legs or narrower hips, it can look fantastic. The trouble comes with people who carry their weight in their hips but are emphasizing it by making their ankles look tiny.

If you are wearing them with boots, of course, a lot of this is undone by the weight of the boot at the ankle. The boots will widen the lower part of your leg and add volume to it, so the effect is minimized.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i do 514s and 501s

511s look too skinny for me

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2011

With women, it depends on body type and what you are wearing them with. The thing to realize about them is that they narrow to the ankle, creating a triangle shape. The wide part of your triangle is your hips. This can be a bad look for a lot of people, but if you have long legs or narrower hips, it can look fantastic. The trouble comes with people who carry their weight in their hips but are emphasizing it by making their ankles look tiny.

If you are wearing them with boots, of course, a lot of this is undone by the weight of the boot at the ankle. The boots will widen the lower part of your leg and add volume to it, so the effect is minimized.

Ah, phew! I do have narrow hips and long-ish legs I suppose, though I am not tall, and I do wear boots with them so phew!

I do know what you mean though, I girl I use to work with who was a large girl used to wear them with flat shoes and it gave the triangle look.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It was in the Daddy Lies thing, he jumped from someone saying that they thought they would be honest with their kids about Santa to a strawman about atheist parents raising joyless robot children without any imagination and being all smug about it. It was kind of ridiculous, but not really unusual for him.

My problem was that I split from the whole thing pretty early even though I was pissed off at him being so dumb, so instead I just bottled it up.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I think one of my problems with skinny jeans on dudes is that, no buddy, your 125 pound frame does not have legs that you need showing off

you just look ridiculous

As a gaylord I beg to differ.

On both counts.

E: Well I won't say most women don't have the body for it, but many, many women who wear skinny jeans don't.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    well i've never seen shoe rant about anything really so it was just surprising to hear

but i don't really see him outside of the wrestling thread

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It was in the Daddy Lies thing, he jumped from someone saying that they thought they would be honest with their kids about Santa to a strawman about atheist parents raising joyless robot children without any imagination and being all smug about it. It was kind of ridiculous, but not really unusual for him.

My problem was that I split from the whole thing pretty early even though I was pissed off at him being so dumb, so instead I just bottled it up.

oh right shoe is one of those religious types

ah well

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    shoe is not religious actually

pretty sure he's agnostic

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    poor man's atheist if you ask me

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It wasn't a rant as much as a long series of snippy comments.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need to buy more clothes that are up to my internship's dresscode, but I'm really not looking forward to it. I'm so bad at shopping.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

you just look ridiculous

As a gaylord I beg to differ.

On both counts.

E: Well I won't say most women don't have the body for it, but many, many women who wear skinny jeans don't.

It is true that a lot of people wear things that do not flatter them.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Squeeze that fat into a more attractive shape

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Ah, phew! I do have narrow hips and long-ish legs I suppose, though I am not tall, and I do wear boots with them so phew!

I do know what you mean though, I girl I use to work with who was a large girl used to wear them with flat shoes and it gave the triangle look.

I'm a fairly small person, or so people keep telling me, but I have to be conscious of the triangle effect in skinny jeans cause of my hips/butt so I usually wear boots and skip the skinny jeans when I'm not wearing shoes with some volume to them.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I must be really ignorant, but what is the triangle effect?

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm a fairly small person, or so people keep telling me, but I have to be conscious of the triangle effect in skinny jeans cause of my hips/butt so I usually wear boots and skip the skinny jeans when I'm not wearing shoes with some volume to them.

This is a good plan, I'm hoping to get some classy trousers next time I go shopping to get some variety.

Sort of when someone wears skinny jeans that are fitted all the way to the ankles when they're top heavy, so their silhouette is like a triangle standing on its point. Does that make sense?

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It does make sense, thanks!

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I knew someone would give a sensible answer while I was doing this.

triangle.jpg

Skinny jeans narrow from the widest point at the hips to the skinniest at the ankle. Straight leg jeans fall straight from the widest point, or with minimal taper.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A designer I like posted about this shoe designer and wanted to hear what the women here thought about a few of these:
    MELCH%20-%20Canvas%20%26%20Tan.jpg
    PADRI%20-%20Blue%20Moire.jpg
    ZION%20-%20Red%20%26%20Bone.jpg

Sorry they are massive. The catalog is here:
    http://www.jeromecrousseau.com/JEROME_C._ROUSSEAU_-_Spring_2011.html#grid

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.